Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So the skins are sitting 4-2.. let's take a look at the rest of the schedule

crabbypatty

We are 5-2 seven games in with the passing game still getting it'd feet under it. If we can won games when we aren't playing our best, and can start getting going in the second half of the season, we can get hot at the right time. Winning when you aren't at your best is what a good team needs to do. It's giving our offense time to get.

Before the season started, I figured we'd be 4-3, with losses to Green Bay, New Orleans and Carolina.  So, with a 5-2 record, we're doing slightly better than I expected. For the rest of the season, I have us winning against Atlanta, Tampa, New York, Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Philly at home. That brings our record to 11-5.  Since I ought to be more pessimistic in general, I think it's fair to predict a 10-6 record. At worst, we should go 9-7. (4-2 in the division and probably 4 losses in the conference)

I find it hard to see Philly beating the Rams or the Saints. The Eagles will have losable away games at Dallas and in Washington. The Texans will also present them with a formidable challenge at home. They should beat the Giants, as well as the Cowboys and us for their home games.  They could go 6-2, but it's much more realistic to have them go 5-3, giving them a 9-7 record (4-2 in the division and probably 5 losses in the conference).

The Cowboys could go 6-3, with wins against Titans, Giants, Bucs, Colts, Philly, and Washington, and losses to Philly, Atlanta, and New Orleans.  Their record would also be 9-7 (4-2 in the division and probably 6 losses in the conference).

It's wild to think...Trent will be out for the next 4 weeks, yet the Skins have positioned themselves so that even if they go 1-3 over that timespan they will still have a winning record and could still be leading the division. And if that one win is against the Cowboys they will still be undefeated in the NFC East.

23 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

We can't afford to lose tomorrow.  its the key game because it puts huge pressure on the Eagles and Boys and they play next week.  This is a must game if we want to have serious hopes to winning the division.

Guess now the division comes down to 

The Thanksgiving day at Dallas 

Monday night in Philadelphia 

Home vs. Giants 

All in consecutive weeks 

This thread probably needs to be pinned or at least re-visited after every game, because with 8 games played & 8 games left, going 4-4 will lead a winning record and possibly a division title.  They might have to go 5-3 for that, but either way they are still in a decent position.

Also, we now know what this team is.  If they manage to slide into a bottom tier playoff spot, they are likely losing in the first round, but as it goes, you have to be a team that can do that first, and then build on it.

This team has an identity.  They win with defense, running game, and a timely 3-5 passes every game.  What you do now is look at the schedule and assess what teams that formula can beat.  The Eagles & Tampa...may  be tough to beat like that, however every other team remaining on the schedule, can be beaten with that sort of team.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

This thread probably needs to be pinned or at least re-visited after every game, because with 8 games played & 8 games left, going 4-4 will lead a winning record and possibly a division title.  They might have to go 5-3 for that, but either way they are still in a decent position.

Also, we now know what this team is.  If they manage to slide into a bottom tier playoff spot, they are likely losing in the first round, but as it goes, you have to be a team that can do that first, and then build on it.

This team has an identity.  They win with defense, running game, and a timely 3-5 passes every game.  What you do now is look at the schedule and assess what teams that formula can beat.  The Eagles & Tampa...may  be tough to beat like that, however every other team remaining on the schedule, can be beaten with that sort of team.

You're not going to beat Houston like that.

Likely to loose to Tampa and Eagles twice, like you said. And if the OL injuries persist, we could loose more. If Peterson is bottled up, we're going to lose most games.

I am sure after the Saints game, the same things were being said about the team as they were after the Falcons game.  There is a reason the Cowboys, Panthers, & Giants couldn't simply "oh just replicate what the Saints did."  Most teams can't just do that on offense, because they don't have the personnel.  

I am not delusional about what this team is/isn't, however I would also suggest that in year's past they likely lose the Dallas & Panthers game, hell maybe even the Giants games.  Now, they aren't winning those games by a lot, but in the end they are winning games they very likely lose in previous seasons.

Going strictly by point differential, we have four games left against teams worse than us and four against teams better than us:

image.png.637ff4474dea6c237bbc93ed495f8d39.png

(This ignores the fact that we just got worse with three injuries to starters, and the Bus just got better by benching Crab Legs.)

Not saying any one game is a must win, but if we lose to Tampa Bay, we could be 5-7 in the blink of an eye.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, RWJ said:

If the Skins end with a losing record, some heads are gonna roll.  You don't have 3 subpar seasons and stick.  Something's got to give.

except that missing the starting QB and our OL situations are legitimate reasons to drop off in production

10 minutes ago, carex said:

except that missing the starting QB and our OL situations are legitimate reasons to drop off in production

Except they’re not really excuses. 

Jay talks as though he would have been completely comfortable going into the season with Colt.

And OL injuries happen.  The Falcons were without both of their starting guards.  The Texans were without both of their guards. 

In the end, the only thing that matters in year 5 is wins.  

Everything else is just loser talk and excuses. 

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Was there a thread before the season, of predicting our final 2018 record ?

I'm curious how many predicted we'd have 6 or less wins.

There was, we’d have to go find it.

My memory is between 7-9 and 9-7 were the majority.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Except they’re not really excuses. 

Jay talks as though he would have been completely comfortable going into the season with Colt.

And OL injuries happen.  The Falcons were without both of their starting guards.  The Texans were without both of their guards. 

In the end, the only thing that matters in year 5 is wins.  

Everything else is just loser talk and excuses. 

the Falcons are also 4-7.  And that's the way coaches are supposed to talk

4 minutes ago, carex said:

the Falcons are also 4-7.  And that's the way coaches are supposed to talk

They beat our asses, out coached us and our schemed us in our building.

In fact, you made my point for me: we got blown out by a 4-7 team, at home, while it was missing 2/3 if it’s defense and both starting guards.  

The only team who can’t seem to ever overcome anything for more than moral victories and one lucky Seattle win last year is us.  Otherwise, when things go bad, we lose and blame refs and injuries.

EDIT: Jays too honest to really lie about his feelings for Colt.  He honest to god thinks Colt can start in his system.  He’s wrong.  But he believes it and he keeps saying it.  And since he keeps saying it, I’ll take him for his word.

Archived