Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

4 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Alex Smith’s record as a starting QB since 2011...

73-33-1

Drew Brees starting "record" since 2011: 68-49

Philip Rivers starting "record" since 2011: 56-63

Aaron Rodgers starting "record" since 2011: 70-33-1

Matt Ryan starting "record" since 2011: 65-54

Matt Stafford starting "record" since 2011: 60-58

Clearly we've got the 2nd best QB in all of football behind Tom Brady!  (sarcasm)

Records are not a quarterback stat.

14 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Clearly we've got the 2nd best QB in all of football behind Tom Brady!  (sarcasm)

*kornheiser voice* All he does is win baby!!! 

55 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Right. They’re a team stat. Who is part of the team? Alex Smith. The point was just to (in a fun way I’m guessing) show how many wins/losses his TEAMS (that he has been on and starting for) have had since 2011 :) 

Wow, we should trade and get Stephen Gostowski then since his "record" is 145-42!

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wow, we should trade and get Stephen Gostowski then since his "record" is 145-42!

He’s better than Hopkins (and i like Hopkins) so absolutely :D 

but yeah I understand that Win/loss records for a QB don’t tell the WHOLE picture, but the media talks about it anyway :) it makes football conversations more interesting, that’s all i see it as. 

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Until the QB you (you as in anyone not you personally) don't like is playing well but the team is losing - then it's the only thing that matters. It's about perspective. 

The rest is not directed at you personally - it's just a launching point: 

I am starting to see these comments from people still obviously still really angry about Kirk - which I get as far as the Bruce Kirk thing - it was cluster **** orchestrated by Bruce and Dan - stating that they are just pointing out Alex's flaws but accusing anyone that is saying anything positive is happy with Alex and just never liked Kirk. Sorry, while there may be a very very few people on that train, that's mostly bull****. 

We went through this 3 yrs ago when the team released Robert. The people that really liked Robert and blamed the team for ruining him - they had a valid point also, but Robert also had his issues - ripped Kirk apart for every mistake made, win or lose. The interesting thing is many of the people trashing Alex are forgetting how they defended Kirk during those early days. You were telling the Robert fans to just get over it and move on. That it's not Kirk's fault that Robert is gone and he needs to be given an honest chance to be successful. And you were 100% right. 

The same can be said of those people who are all over every mistake Alex makes because they are pissed because of how Kirk was treated. It's not Alex's fault the team ****ed up the Kirk negotiations. It's not Alex's fault that the team sent a promising young CB and 3rd pick to another team for him. Seriously, give the guy a chance. It's 6 games in to a new team with injuries to primary weapons. That is also not his fault. The team has a solid workhorse RB - something they were planning for when they drafted Guice BTW - so they are riding him while they sort out the injuries and Alex and Jay get more comfortable with each other. Again, not his fault. 

No doubt about it, Alex has been underwhelming. I get it. We all get it. Despite the claims otherwise, I have not seen a single person - not one saying they are "happy with Alex's play" or has been "vociferously" been defending the way Alex is playing. Contrary to popular belief identifying some positives is not saying the guy is great - just like identifying his areas of weakness is not automatically saying the guy is trash. 

Personally I support whoever is in uniform for the Redskins (with 2 notable exceptions -Hayensworth and Jeff George). I was a big fan of Roberts while he was here. I totally understood why they moved on but just like Kirk it was mostly self inflicted in that I do agree the team did a lot to ruin Robert - it was time to move on. So I did. I gave Kirk a chance. Those with short memories seem to forget Kirk was quite underwhelming the first games before he was a starter and then his first 6 games or so as a starter.

So, once Bruce ****ed things up with Kirk and it was clear they had to move on from him, they did. It was time to remove the drama. That is not defending the FO. I have stated repeatedly the FO is a hot mess, primarily Bruce. He cost this team a really good QB. But Alex is now the QB. He is a good guy and wants to do well. He has the capability to do better than he has and I believe he will. Let's give him a chance. Being overly critical of Alex will not bring Kirk back. 

BTW: If you have not seen his podcasts (I think that's what they are called), please watch them. He knows he needs to get better. He knows he has not played well. He is harder on himself than the fans. 

36 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

We went through this 3 yrs ago when the team released Robert. The people that really liked Robert and blamed the team for ruining him - they had a valid point also, but Robert also had his issues - ripped Kirk apart for every mistake made, win or lose. The interesting thing is many of the people trashing Alex are forgetting how they defended Kirk during those early days. You were telling the Robert fans to just get over it and move on. That it's not Kirk's fault that Robert is gone and he needs to be given an honest chance to be successful. And you were 100% right. 

I guess part of the difference is Kirk was in only his 4th season, his first one as a starter.  Alex Smith has been in the league forever.  So there is less patience, especially when he plays like he has every year except 2017.

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

BTW: If you have not seen his podcasts (I think that's what they are called), please watch them. He knows he needs to get better. He knows he has not played well. He is harder on himself than the fans. 

I have been over the Kirk situation since January.  I've never liked Alex Smith.  I absolutely did not want him, Bridgewater, or Taylor as our starter because they are all cut from the same mold.  

3 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I guess part of the difference is Kirk was in only his 4th season, his first one as a starter.  Alex Smith has been in the league forever.  So there is less patience, especially when he plays like he has every year except 2017.

You may be forgetting that Kirk had 14 games of pretty ****ty play. So the lack of patience was pretty much the same. He is not playing liked he has every year except 2017. He is playing like he did his first season in KC. He then continued to get better each season. Just like he started poorly in SF until getting better. 

He is never going to be Kirk. Outside a very few people no one expects him to be Kirk. Again the political garbage from the team was just that, political cover their ass garbage.  But anyone who follows football knows Alex < Kirk. So expecting him to be that is unrealistic. And complaining that he is not that is wasted time as he is never going to be there. 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, ExoDus84 said:

Cousins is in his first year in a brand new system, and has 14 TD's and only 3 picks. Hell, Case Keenum has more yards and TD's than Smith, though he's a turnover machine.

And two of those interceptions were perfect throws straight through the receivers hands. He really has one pick.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I can't believe how many people on this board are still stuck on Kirk.  He's gone guys.  He's never coming back and he never wanted to be here.  Move on.  He has.

Mostly because of bull**** like this. False narrative that the Anit-Kirk crowd likes to throw around.

Bruce Allen didn't want him here, and botched everything. Deal with it.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Mostly because of bull**** like this. False narrative that the Anit-Kirk crowd likes to throw around.

Bruce Allen didn't want him here, and botched everything. Deal with it.

I was as pro Kirk as you can get and know he didn't want to be here.  It is as simple as him saying that he didn't want to sign here until he could hit free agency.  If you want to be somewhere, you don't even hit free agency.  That logic just doesn't make sense.  

Oh and I never said Bruce Allen didn't want him here.  Neither of them wanted to be with eachother so they parted ways.  He's gone.  Get over it.  Comparing Alex Smith to Kirk Cousins is like comparing him to Aaron Rodgers or Ryan Tannehill - it's pointless.

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

See both of our loses.

If you want to play that game see the Packers and Panthers game

15 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I can't believe how many people on this board are still stuck on Kirk.  He's gone guys.  He's never coming back and he never wanted to be here.  Move on.  He has.

I said it before I say it again if he wanted to be here he would have signed a damn extension 

Not saying Allen and co didn't mess things up but if you ask anyone else who played with him in that locker room they felt he didn't want to be there. Is it because of the whole FO drama and Kurt and what not? Maybe. But could it also be other factors? 

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

he didn't want to be here.

After the 2015 season he offered the Redskins a very reasonable three year contract.  They turned it down.

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You may be forgetting that Kirk had 14 games of pretty ****ty play. So the lack of patience was pretty much the same.

14 games for Kirk, 13 seasons for Smith. Totally the same.

16 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I was as pro Kirk as you can get and know he didn't want to be here.  It is as simple as him saying that he didn't want to sign here until he could hit free agency.  If you want to be somewhere, you don't even hit free agency.  That logic just doesn't make sense.  

If the FO doesn't bother giving contract that isn't a absolute joke, to you just go ahead and sign it anyway? Your logic makes no sense either. If Bruce had offered a reasonable contract, at any time, he would still be here.

Oh and I never said Bruce Allen didn't want him here.  Neither of them wanted to be with eachother so they parted ways.  He's gone.  Get over it.  Comparing Alex Smith to Kirk Cousins is like comparing him to Aaron Rodgers or Ryan Tannehill - it's pointless.

You're half wrong here, but that's an improvement. Bruce did not want him, and he made sure that happened.

Archived