Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Fans: Let’s Stop Being Pansies

kleese

I am envious of the older fans who actually knew what it was like to have a consistent good football team year in and year out.  2005 was the first real season where I followed the off season, training camp, preseason, every regular season game, etc.  I'm used to losing year in and year out with the occasional flirtation with the playoffs sprinkled in here and there.  

Listen, I've been a Skins fan since 1976 so where else am I suppose to go? We all get frustrated at times with the teams play, coaches coaching and the got damn front office. But that's what fans do because it comes with the territory of being a fan and wanting your team to do well. Do well not just for personal reasons or as Mick Jagger would say "Satisfaction" but for bragging rights as well and to hopefully wear the Skins jersey proudly with your chest stuck out. 

I also understand everyone's point of view to why they don't support the team, support the team or somewhat then turned sour against the team and/or the Front office over the years. But try living in other cities and see how other fans react to they're team failures. You will be amazed it's really no different from any other fans gripes and concerns and that includes bitter Redskins fans. 

I grew up in D.C and still have childhood memories of the Glory days. I still remember vividly when Harold Mclinton and Pat Fisher came to my elementary school ceremony and my grandmother took a snap shot of me with Harold Mclinton (yes am old). But I also understand that this is a new generation and unless you're rooted into loving a hometown team by hoisting Trophies that root may never grow within you. That's why nowadays in sports you have more players joining forces just to hoist up trophies. It's really no such thing anymore of being true loyal fan unless it's deep rooted in you. But what we have now is more generational band wagoner fans from coast to coast.  Granted unless the team you support constantly wins or gives you hope with wins to only once again fail you when it comes to winning that Championship. Because at the end of the day you'll never see the joy in clips of old Super bowl teams that we're in the SB but came up short. We as fans love the thrill when it comes to a victory but despise the Agony of defeat when it comes to yours. 

I live in Texas now and have for over 20 years now. And just recently I asked some Cowboy fans down here why they support the Cowboys so passionately even though they haven't done much in years especially winning a Super bowl. The answer I received was we just like to cheer our team on and support the Cowboys regardless of wins or losses. My response was "I see and to also help Jerry pay for that Billion dollar Stadium as well right? ". No, we just love to Support the Cowboys and cheer them on. 

So all I'm saying is if you're going to be a fan than be a fan. And understand Kleese post about being somewhat of a Debbie downer. One guy posted in this thread that if you're on this website than you're really somewhat of a fan, but misery doesn't always want company when it comes to supporting this team.

Again I live in Texas, Houston Texas that is. And it seems you have more Cowboy fans in Houston than you do Texan fans. But I say that to say this. Even the Texan fans that used to be Houston Oiler fans like to just cheer the Texans on and support the local team that's all. But we as fans everywhere have the same feelings and sentiments when it comes to the Front office, players, Team, Coaches and wins and losses. How did it feel if you're a true die hard Capitols fan after waiting so long for the Capitols to win the Stanley cup? I waited forever and was full of joy when they finally did. Look, I know some of the younger guys never experienced the Skins glory days, but hang in there and enjoy the ride along the way. Trust me it will be so gratifying once they do again for all of us. And despite losing Captain Kirk I still see things slowly getting better when it comes to being a total team and hopefully that Saints game woke these guys up for real. Also try being a fan of one of the teams below that never won a SB but still constantly just supporting them and cheering them on.

Redalert pt.2 formerly known as Redalert.

RIP Haphazard!!!

•  
  • "Never won a Super Bowl"
  •  
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cincinnati Bengals
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Detroit Lions
  • Houston Texans
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Tennessee Titans

12 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Koala & @LightningBuggs

I understand becoming disinterested and tuning out, but what you guys describe is almost adversarial. I could be reading it wrong, but it's almost like you have such hard feelings against the front office, etc. that you take some element of pleasure if things don't work out.

And, for the record, this isn't judging or accusatory because I can understand how that type of relationship could develop. 

No I dont hate the front office.  They just havent given me anything that I care about.

As far as identity, for the people that seem to be struggling with the concept...

Its not all about winning.  If you have an identity, I can deal with losses.  Ill take those losses hard, just like any diehard fan, but I wont miss one second of action.  In Gibbs II there were two seasons where we really sucked, but I watch every second of those games, even the ones in late december long after we were eliminated, and I was still deeply invested emotionally because the team I was watching was clearly still invested emotionally.  But thats not where I am right now, and thats not where they are right now.  I barely care if they win or lose, and I get the feeling they feel the same way.  Its all the same, no personality, no identity, just endless mediocrity from an amorphous blob of souls wearing burgundy and gold.       

The 80's we had plenty of identity ... The hogs, Riggo, it was power guts and glory with the Smurfs and the Fun Bunch bringing of flavor to the party.  And also, there was this whole..analytical approach...to the brawn that we brought.  You might fool us once, but well study the tapes, figure out what youre doing to us, and make the appropriate adjustment.  Its how people used to think our government worked too, especially in the Cold War, so it fit the town well.  Perhaps this clown in the F/O reflects the clown show in office...but I digress, and lets not open up that can of worms...

The steelers have always had identity.  Its the identity of the town they live in.  I dont even have to tell you what that identity is because everyone who watches football knows the Steelers have had the same identity since the 70's.

The Raiders have had that bad boy image, nasty mofos, the black hole, the whole **** it we're going deep mentality for a long time.  Even when they, and theve sucked for a long time, longer than us maybe, they still somewhat maintained that identity.  Without looking up the stats, I know the Raiders are probably leading the league in personal fouls, as usual.  And I aint saying thats something to be proud of...but it's something...

The Ravens have that Steeler-like mentality and identity.  Smashmouth.  Hard-nosed.  Reflects the town they live in, sort of.

The Iggles have, pains me as much as it does to say, plenty of identity.  The "we're gonna turn into a streetfight" identity, lead by a tough hardhitting defense.

In the 80's the 49ers had that hip west cost Cali thing nailed down, with Cool Joe running the show.

The Cowboys of the 90's and that over-the-top gawdy arrogance, we are America b.s. that makes the whole country hate Texans --- but hey they dont care if you dont like em, cause they're the Cowboys, they're from Texas.  Its definitely an identity....that you want to murder...i kid i kid.

The Patriots are the brainiacs, arrogant brainiacs at that.  Its the whole -- we're smarter than you and we know it mentality -- which reflects the New England region's self-image pretty well.  God I hate New Englanders.  God I hate the Patriots.  But at least they got something discernible for me to hate;

Who hates us?  What is there to hate?  We're nothing, we're nobodies, we're a million shades of gray.  And I just dont care for that.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, NickyJ said:

Honestly, aside from media, I don't really like the idea of former players getting attached to the team in coaching roles. It sounds nice, sure, but it seems even more like it's good-old-boys culture. "Sure, yeah, you didn't make it with the other 5 teams you were on, but we're family!" I love you, Manusky, but your defense is sad. We've had others come through who I can't name off the top of my head, but they didn't stay because they weren't worth keeping.

I know I'm a few days behind but just getting back on...

I agree.. I dont want a staff full of former players, unless they're qualified.  The involvement i was mentioning was hearing more and more about the players willingly hanging out at Redskins park.  Hearing Portis on multiple radio stations talking about the team.  Seeing Cooley out and about during Dallas week giving away free gear.  For a long time, it was like team didnt let anyone in.  You only heard what the team wanted you to hear, funneled through the radio stations it owned.  

You also, like others have pointed out, would always hear negative rumblings from former players.. I remember hearing Lavar talking about how hes never asked to come back.... just venom.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I remember hearing Lavar talking about how hes never asked to come back.... just venom.

One of the few right things Snyder has done.

Lavar must have been concussed before he left for the Giants and forgot all that he did and said on the way out.

13 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

One of the few right things Snyder has done.

Lavar must have been concussed before he left for the Giants and forgot all that he did and said on the way out.

Hard to argue... he clearly was not a good representative of the team.  I can understand why hes been left out, but for a long time it seemed like the team only held onto the glory years and burned every relationship it had with anyone leaving the franchise. 

Archived