Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Fans: Let’s Stop Being Pansies

kleese

I am 54 [ going on 14 ].

I have NEVER been to a Washington Redskins game.

Growing up, my family was dirt poor, living off S.S. and getting some of my food from places I'd rather not mention.

But one thing I attached myself too at a very young age was this team. At first I didn't know **** from wild honey about football until I started playing with the kids in the neighborhood, and every single one of us had a different favorite football team [ and an alternate ].

Everyone of us were asked why we were fans of whatever team we liked, living in southeast Texas most people around here were Cowboy fans, but dammit I'm a rebel, and I told anyone who questioned me about my team that I cheer for to kiss my ass.

And I still say it today...

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

You honestly never compare the Thunder to the Skins? Ever? Seriously ?

I mean OKC has to be one of the best fan experiences in pro sports. 

Im just curious 

Give OKC fan base a few years. We got lucky when we got that team because Kevin Durant made them relevant immediately and they had early success. OKC is also in Sooner country which is a top fan base in College football after couple decades of success that definitely is a Thunder fan pipeline. I think some of energy about the Thunder here has already diminished a little bit. If they keep winning less everyone will just go back to their college football teams.

I think this is similar to what you're  saying about Redskins/DC, so as an out of state fan, I think I understand. At the end of the day winning will solve everything.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I am 54 [ going on 14 ].

Growing up, my family was dirt poor, living off S.S. and getting some of my food from places I'd rather not mention.

But one thing I attached myself too at a very young age was this team. At first I didn't know **** from wild honey about football until I started playing with the kids in the neighborhood, and every single one of us had a different favorite football team [ and an alternate ].

Everyone of us were asked why we were fans of whatever team we liked, living in southeast Texas most people around here were Cowboy fans, but dammit I'm a rebel, and I told anyone who questioned me about my team that I cheer for to kiss my ass.

Love it, that's the same reason as Matthew McConaughey... Are you Matthew McConaughey? Damn that last name sucks to spell.

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I am 54 [ going on 14 ].

You have got to be ****ting me?!?!..never seen the Redskins live?..that makes the trip I made from alaska to Idaho then to Denver to see Gibbs in 2005 that more special to me..I figure u were part of the Redskins some how as long as ya been here. I love your story btw..I grew up the same way..raised in a trailer park..spent several months living in a camper..1 bed camper with a four person family..very low income..my uncle was a season ticket holder in Denver from the eighties to just about 15 years ago(had to buy our tickets in 05)and I seen the skins play in Denver whenever they came to town(lol 1 time prior to 05)..Denver is a 12 hour drive from here..god I love my father for being able to put together the funding to have taken me that one time..05 I had my own income haha..I'll stop ranting sorry it just shocks the **** out of me you haven't been to a skins game..oh when we went in 05 face value for tickets in the south stands half way up $75...the year rg3 was playing..I believe Manning was there qb..those same seats we were in 05...300 plus dollars...

6 hours ago, kleese said:

That's where I think you are wrong. I don't think anyone fails to see it. Maybe a rouge Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind type, but not any sort of significant portion of the fan base. I am not sure I can think of one person on this site who really LIKES Snyder or thinks he's done a bang-up job as owner in his 20 years. 

What I meant was that fans are the first ones to make villains out of players and coaches when things go bad.  Head coach particularly.  Redskins fans always believe a new head coach will fix everything.  This isn’t some ProJay speech by me, I just mean in general.  But what most don’t acknowledge is that the head coach, even Zorn, is already working at a disadvantage.  There are reasons that no coach in 20 years, not even Hall of Famers, have been able to achieve and/or sustain any level of success...and it’s not because they are all crappy coaches.  

1 hour ago, c slag said:

I think it is all right there on the table in front of the Redskins 

Beat down Dallas at home on Sunday take the lead in this division and don't look back 

Hail ya man..good call..I believe the win over Carolina(as ugly as it was according to some folks..???)lit a fire under there ass and gives em momentum going forward. 

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

You honestly never compare the Thunder to the Skins? Ever? Seriously ?

I mean OKC has to be one of the best fan experiences in pro sports. 

Im just curious 

It is glorious. For many, many reasons. And no doubt our fan base is spoiled considering the team we were given. Going to games and following this team for a decade has been off the charts awesome. This will be my 8th season with season tickets and it’s something I never plan to give up. 

The organization is top notch. In arena experience is excellent. Sam Presti has his hands on all operations and I admire the hell out of that guy. He is a fabulous leader and truly a great steward for not only the team, but the city. 

OKC has something DC can never have though on its side....not only are we smaller, but we are isolated and represent an entire state that has never been represented in pro sports before. This is something unique to places like OKC, San Antonio, Portland, and Salt Lake City. So in that regard it’s a been unfair to compare the Thunder and Redskins. 

The NBA in general is also a really easy fan experience. It’s expensive, but it’s not a hassle. Weather is never an issue of course, parking is easy (especially when you do it all the time and know the ins and outs), crowds are loud but well behaved, etc..All that is just an NBA vs NFL thing though. 

To answer your question, yes I’ve compared the two before and they are quite opposite. This is home for me so there is also that... never had a “home team” before and that is something I always longed for having been so far from the Redskins growing up (I’m a Cincinnati Reds fan too— ouch). I love the Thunder (heck, I have blog about them) and I would do anything to someday see them hoist a trophy at a parade in Bricktown. I appreciate the way things are done and respect those who run it. 

Thst said, none of it has ever really made me any more or less angry, passionate, etc in regards to the Redskins. Even though there is overlap, they are separate things for me. Not

sure if that ramble answers your question but that’s what I came up with. 

As an aside, attending a Thunder home playoff game should be a bucket list item for all sports fans. It’s incredible. 

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What I meant was that fans are the first ones to make villains out of players and coaches when things go bad.  Head coach particularly.  Redskins fans always believe a new head coach will fix everything.  This isn’t some ProJay speech by me, I just mean in general.  But what most don’t acknowledge is that the head coach, even Zorn, is already working at a disadvantage.  There are reasons that no coach in 20 years, not even Hall of Famers, have been able to achieve and/or sustain any level of success...and it’s not because they are all crappy coaches.  

I really think people DO get it, but also understand it’s wasted breath. For me, I know it is likely going to take a truly special man or men to get the job done here precisely due to the inherent disadvantages you mentioned above. So if the fans get to a point with a player or coach where they realize he isn’t the one that can climb the mountain, then it’s on to the next one... with the hope being that the new guy will be truly special and able to work through the muck. 

I’m not there yet with Jay. I still

have hope. There is something about him...something about his personality and approach that I still believe in. And I firmly believe that we do have a coach who has had enough time here now that his voice IS heard (and respected) at the park. The team plays for Jay. The baffling part is how they continue to allow eggs to sneak

in as well— obviously there can eventually be too many eggs and then that will be that. But I’m not there yet. I understand the ladder is taller for him here than it is for coaches in other places— which is why I am willing to give him more time to keep climbing. I think he’s been an overall positive for the organization. I think the first step in this process was to stop being a laughingstock. One thing you can’t say about Gruden is that his tenure has been a joke. We seem to have taken the first step in that regard. Taking the next one is proving difficult. But it’s not over yet. 

Just now, hail2skins said:

What a pansy ?

Funny thing is I am actually a total pansy during the actual games. I make very little noise, never participate in “Defense” chants or anything like that. I don’t yell at refs. The games are excruciating for me. I writhe. I cuss under my breath. I have mini loud outbursts of happiness. I sigh. I sigh A LOT. My wife always points that one out. When at home, I pace. I pace A LOT. I am actually the personification of a pansy during games. 

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

Should we now be all :) :headbang:in the Post-game Apathy Thread?

I differentiate negativity, disappointment, anger, and even apathy as separate from self-loathing. It’s why I can’t stand Cubs fans. The whole “woe is us” lovable loser shtick was so played out. When they won the WS I honestly wondered if most of them were disappointed because what in the world would their identity be now? 

Note to self..never watch a game with kleese..I would scare the **** out of you lol..I'm absolutely ridiculous...I'll stand in my chair at a sports bar screaming on the skins defense as if I'm in the flipping stadium..I don't yell at refs at all...I hoop and hollar loudly when we score or force a turnover...but for the most part I'm very fun to be with to watch the Redskins play..I'm respectful to those around and don't cause grief..when we have the ball I'm quite as a church mouse anticipating what's gonna happen lol.

14 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Should we now be all :) :headbang:in the Post-game Apathy Thread?

Or just get rid of the thread..?

7 hours ago, kleese said:

I really think people DO get it, but also understand it’s wasted breath. For me, I know it is likely going to take a truly special man or men to get the job done here precisely due to the inherent disadvantages you mentioned above. So if the fans get to a point with a player or coach where they realize he isn’t the one that can climb the mountain, then it’s on to the next one... with the hope being that the new guy will be truly special and able to work through the muck. 

I think the same principle can apply tenfold with the top executive.  While I agree Dan is Dan and that's not going to change.   The biggest window to his football soul so to speak is his top right hand man.  That's who apparently he talks to the most and bounces things off of.  In the past it was Cerrato.  Now, its Bruce.  Both to me train wrecks for different reasons.  From what some who cover the team say, Bruce is potentially on his last legs here.  The people next in line supposedly or Schaffer or K. Smith -- both with reputations for competence and being good people.  Will either be the panacea?  You got me.  But you got a fighting chance at least with it.   So for me personally, that's what am hoping for.  I think its potentially a really big deal as to the future of the franchise.  So i am not in the mode of just let it go and support it all on that front specifically. 

Enjoying wins (which I do) is one thing.  But IMO if you don't like who in your mind is enabling the dysfunction -- say something about it.  Even the King jester on that front, Vinny, flat out said more or less that you can get Dan's attention on that front.  

We can blame Dan for all we want to, but hes basically been hands off since we dumped RG3. I think Jay does a good job working with our FO. Bruce is certainly an issue with his cheap ass. You can argue the Smith trade being bad, but we're competing and our corners look good, so it wasn't an awful move. 

Cowboys have a garbage owner and their fanbase isn't collapsing. Raiders have had worse teams, similar competitors for the fans and much worse coaching and ownership. And they're moving again to an even more transient town.

There's several issues affecting the Redskins fanbase. I dont think they're pansies, I just think it's a fading brand.

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

You have got to be ****ting me?!?!..never seen the Redskins live?..that makes the trip I made from alaska to Idaho then to Denver to see Gibbs in 2005 that more special to me..I figure u were part of the Redskins some how as long as ya been here. I love your story btw..I grew up the same way..raised in a trailer park..spent several months living in a camper..1 bed camper with a four person family..very low income..my uncle was a season ticket holder in Denver from the eighties to just about 15 years ago(had to buy our tickets in 05)and I seen the skins play in Denver whenever they came to town(lol 1 time prior to 05)..Denver is a 12 hour drive from here..god I love my father for being able to put together the funding to have taken me that one time..05 I had my own income haha..I'll stop ranting sorry it just shocks the **** out of me you haven't been to a skins game..oh when we went in 05 face value for tickets in the south stands half way up $75...the year rg3 was playing..I believe Manning was there qb..those same seats we were in 05...300 plus dollars...

Yea, you have  first-hand knowledge of what it was like growing up in the lower income lifestyle. I wouldn't trade those times for anything, its what made me what I am today.

As far as not ever gone to a Redskins game, it does sound weird, and how I rant on at times it would sound like I'm a season ticket holder!

But every single fan has their own reason why they're a fan of this team and everyone has the right to be in whatever mood they want to be in, its what makes us all different, and as Dan Quayle once said, the one thing we all have in common is the Washington Redskins.

One thing is for sure; I WILL make it to at least one game before I fade off into the sunset, and it will be a helluva time, hec I might even drink a beer [ or Crown & 7 ] and hopefully the Redskins will be kicking ass and taking names, but to me its not as much about the winning or losing, its about the fans, the camaraderie, the gathering of people who share your beliefs and screaming for your team to cheer them on.

I've already had my times of being on top of the world during the 80's and walking tall and talking loud as my Redskins took the Lombardy trophy home 3 different times, and I can say, for those who aren't old enough to have experienced that feeling, I feel for them, because there is nothing like it, nothing.

I will also say that back then, winning the SuperBowl seemed to have more meaning than it does in this millennia; it felt different. Maybe it was my anticipation during an off-year than Gibbs would have the team back there again soon, and that fire stayed lit, as it does now.

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We can blame Dan for all we want to, but hes basically been hands off since we dumped RG3. I think Jay does a good job working with our FO. Bruce is certainly an issue with his cheap ass. You can argue the Smith trade being bad, but we're competing and our corners look good, so it wasn't an awful move. 

Cowboys have a garbage owner and their fanbase isn't collapsing. Raiders have had worse teams, similar competitors for the fans and much worse coaching and ownership. And they're moving again to an even more transient town.

There's several issues affecting the Redskins fanbase. I dont think they're pansies, I just think it's a fading brand.

I don't think I've ever seen you say so much..very excellent points!!

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cowboys though had a least some success with that garbage owner.  They won a few Superbowls granted long ago.  They were 13-3 and 12-4 not that long ago.  I think the issue with Dan's years is the bar here for big success is 10-6 and maybe win a playoff game once every 10 years.  I am not saying that won't change.  But until it does I think especially with the more casual fans, they have become cynical and jaded, and it will take a big year to win some of them back. 

I think the issue with the Redskins as a fan base centers on the more casual fan -- not people like us.  We are posting and are into it even if they went 3-13.  For the casual fan, this team is lacking star power.  We don't have the Clinton Portis or Sean Taylor types, etc.  I am not saying we don't have good players but we don't have guys for the most part that are being discussed in the typical national NFL show.   Maybe Peterson some a little.  Maybe Guice when he returns next year.

But I think for some casual fans the team lacks sizzle as for personality-star power.  Steinberg talked about it in a podcast, talking about how some players would just generate conversation in his column over the years but in recent years it hasn't been the case sans Kirk.    We can argue that boring is good -- and it might be but I think boring has to match victories otherwise to the causal fan a 6-10 Gibbs 2 team might be more interesting than an 8-8 version of this team.  So hopefully it doesn't go 8-8.  I am with you I think they can win the next 2 games and then finally take off.  Will see. 

As for Dan, I do agree he's likely been more hands off in recent years.  I do think its been Bruce's baby especially as to FA for years now.  I think if they will have a breakthrough with a big year, win the division, go 11-5, surprise people and if they do that I think they will regain a lot of the casual fans they lost

"Winning cures everything" as they say and yeah, I think having a polarizing leader off the field would help along with winning. I think the Zorn years and the fan card drama was still a final straw for a lot of fans, especially with other teams in the area improving. 

I think the product the NFL has been putting out is getting worse. I think FA and FF has changed the loyalty dynamic.

I think DC is a fading market and has been. I mean, between Philly and Florida, you just had the Redskins. Now there's 3 more teams cutting into that market. That has to cut into the youth movement, which is a big part of the home field noise and merchandise sales.

I think there is several factors involved. It's going to be a tough road for the Redskins in years ahead and personally, I dont think a move and other major changes we dont talk about in this thread are completely off the table.

sic, I feel ya, the last Skins game I went to was the seat cushion game against the Falcs in '92, kinda feels like I've never been but somehow it doesn't matter. I may not have the $$ to put in a personal appearance but I'm "there" with them every year. We who only have our personal capital to invest in the team do just that, avoid the whole "why are you supporting them with your money" vs "why AREN'T you supporting them?" kalabalik and just root on at home, wearin' the game gear, riling up our neighbors, and just generally wearin' our fandom on our sleeve as nothing more than pure hope and loyalty.

You stick with "your" team through thick n thin, makes the good days even better, keep ya warm when the cold winds blow.

And I tell ya this, I hit the Powerball I'm gonna track yo azz down and getcha there, book it

Archived