Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

5 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I don't think it's a question about whether he cares or not.  It's more about whether he's any good.  The guy can't make the catches when it matters.  The lone exception was the long catch vs Seattle last year.  Last year vs KC was a prime example where if he comes down with it, it's a TD they win the game.  I think there was one this year vs GB when he had it on his hands and could've brought it in but it went out of bounds.  You can count on him to not make the catch more often than the other.  Big disappointment so far.

I think it's pretty hard to evaluate how good he is or whether or not he has improved with so few targets. And it isn't like he's the only WR with few targets either; if he were then I'd be more inclined to think it was because he was running poor routes, etc. Yes he's had some drops, but he's also had some nice catches. With a young WR I hesitate to make that big of a deal over some drops when he's still new to the NFL, as last year was basically his first year playing. 

To be honest, I really just don't think his skill set fits in well with this offense in some ways and with this QB especially. That doesn't mean that some of it isn't his fault, I think it's just hard to know for sure when Alex is so obviously reluctant to go to WRs (especially outside WRs) and instead favors TEs and RB dump-offs. 

17 hours ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Looking at this list, starting from 2015, made me realize McCloughan wasn't the draft guru he was cracked up to be.  Or at the very least he lost his touch when he came here? Out of his three drafts only three players have worked out:  Scherff, Crowder, and Allen.  Heck I'll even throw in Preston Smith but but so far its been the same old dysfunction.?

Gee ya think?  

They had him running shorter slant routes which he ran well today and held on to the balls thrown.  Also,I think he should have caught one long pass that he stretched out for and when the camera showed Alex you could see Alex put his hands on the side of his head just like Cousins used to do when a receiver dropped one of his passes.

I was hoping this would be the definitive game for Doctson, the one where he either stands up or falls flat. Either would have been a relief honestly, so that we'd finally have the answer. Time for the rest of the season to be spent debating him. :(

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I was hoping this would be the definitive game for Doctson, the one where he either stands up or falls flat. Either would have been a relief honestly, so that we'd finally have the answer. Time for the rest of the season to be spent debating him. :(

I disagree. If Alex could have gotten the ball to him in those missed throws those were catches and Doctson would have been the #1 WR today. That one throw in the middle close to the red zone Alex missed could have been a TD by Doctson. Alex needs to get his chemistry going with Doctson and stop overthrowing to him. 

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

I disagree. If Alex could have gotten the ball to him in those missed throws those were catches and Doctson would have been the #1 WR today. That one throw in the middle close to the red zone Alex missed could have been a TD by Doctson. Alex needs to get his chemistry going with Doctson and stop overthrowing to him. 

I'm not saying you're wrong about it. I'm saying that it's still going to be stuck at "if's" for plays where he could have shined, and few people accept "if's" for an answer. It's not a clear answer that just about everyone can accept.

Alex Smith is coming off as a slight dick in his post game conference.

When asked about sliding instead of going out of bounds on our final possession he replied with “Oh you saw that, huh?”, in a stone-faced non-smiling way.

Pretty ready to move on from this guy as soon as the year is over.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Doctson had some good catches where he used his body to box out the defender.  Alex Smith put the ball on the money too.

The one big play that was missed, was more on Alex. Doctson even dove and sold out for the ball to make the catch, but it was overthrown.

This. I also think that one throw to the sideline where Doctson where the defender got to bat the ball before Doctson had a chance to catch it. It just looked like Doctson couldn't hold on to the ball. Alex threw it where Doctson couldn't catch it. Should have been a little higher and on his back side instead. I need to watch the reply on that one but that is what it looked like to me. 

31 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

They had him running shorter slant routes which he ran well today and held on to the balls thrown.  Also,I think he should have caught one long pass that he stretched out for and when the camera showed Alex you could see Alex put his hands on the side of his head just like Cousins used to do when a receiver dropped one of his passes.

Wrong. That miss was on Alex. He overthrew him.

36 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I've been critical of Doctson all year, and today he looked like a actual NFL receiver. He wasn't great, but he was competent.

30 minutes ago, zskins said:

Probably easier said than done with Alex. Still, it was good to see him throw to Doctson, and Doctson make a couple plays. I thought this was a game that Doctson actually looked decent.

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Wrong. That miss was on Alex. He overthrew him.

Yeah there's no way that was remotely catchable. Doctson laid all the way out for it and it was still well away from his hands. 

Doctson had some good intermediate catches, one really difficult to haul in ball where (where I still think there was PI) and at least 2 that Alex overthrew him. One was the one we're talking about where he dove and the other I think was a deep corner route near the end of the 1st half where Doctson had a step on his defender but the ball was way over his head. That probably could have been a TD as well had it been in stride.

One thing that DID irk me was his route on that slant. Yes he caught it but there was no suddenness in his break to the inside. I think Romo even remarked on it. 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah there's no way that was remotely catchable. Doctson laid all the way out for it and it was still well away from his hands. 

Doctson had some good intermediate catches, one really difficult to haul in ball where (where I still think there was PI) and at least 2 that Alex overthrew him. One was the one we're talking about where he dove and the other I think was a deep corner route near the end of the 1st half where Doctson had a step on his defender but the ball was way over his head. That probably could have been a TD as well had it been in stride.

One thing that DID irk me was his route on that slant. Yes he caught it but there was no suddenness in his break to the inside. I think Romo even remarked on it. 

Yep. You never see Doc catch a ball then pick up chunks after via YAC because his route running is just so poor. Everything with Doc is just so difficult.

If Garcon had Doc's raw athleticism/talent he'd be a perennial All Pro.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. You never see Doc catch a ball then pick up chunks after via YAC because his route running is just so poor. Everything with Doc is just so difficult.

If Garcon had Doc's raw athleticism/talent he'd be a perennial All Pro.

Sorry, who on our team is doing that right now? 

Crowder looked like a revelation his first year, but that was with cousins throwing and McVey calling the plays.  Crowder didnt just forget how to play football.  Alex Smith is a WRs worst nightmare.  Doctson had 40 something yards today, and that was as many as ALL of the other WRs combined.  Alex Smith rarely throws to receivers, and has rarely done that in his career.  Its just all so silly "I know nothing about whats actually happening, but if the QB isnt throwing it to him it must be because he is running poor routes and not getting open"(despite seeing beat writers show otherwise). 

3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Sorry, who on our team is doing that right now? 

Crowder looked like a revelation his first year, but that was with cousins throwing and McVey calling the plays.  Crowder didnt just forget how to play football.  Alex Smith is a WRs worst nightmare.  Doctson had 40 something yards today, and that was as many as ALL of the other WRs combined.  Alex Smith rarely throws to receivers, and has rarely done that in his career.  Its just all so silly "I know nothing about whats actually happening, but if the QB isnt throwing it to him it must be because he is running poor routes and not getting open"(despite seeing beat writers show otherwise). 

Richardson has made nice plays including deep shots. As have Reed and Davis. Crowder has fallen off because he no longer has Garcon and Jackson to take pressure off him and he's hurt all the time.

Smith is mediocre, but Doc is a bottom 10% WR in the league. He's a flat out bust.

Archived