Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

25 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We often see a guy open, slow up.  I'd guess it may not be prudent for a WR to always sprint as fast as they can. We saw that with Davis a few weeks back, wide open so he slows down, and Alex had passed as he had been still sprinting.

What is the rule there. I would guess with a noodle arm QB, the WRs will tend to slow down. Since it will be a floater anyways.  When a WR has a total gun arm QB firing missiles, I would guess they slow less often.  A QB knows how much a guy can accelerate.  Maybe guys slow to be better able to adjust to an under thrown ball, or slow up when they get to the place that the ball is supposed to be.

All speculation but think in the end this stuff gets worked out in reps.  Smith looked like in preseason mode much of the year, WRT to WR chemistry.

My assumption is what youre seeing is when that WR has found the zone in soft spot and gears it back a smidge to keep himself in that voided area longer.  I don't know that I've seen guys do that in man coverage, but it wouldn't surprise me if they hesitate while getting a judgement on the ball, similar to an outfielder playing a pop fly.  The best wrs have the un-teachable ability to track a ball in flight without thinking about running... their body adjusts automatically based on the read of the flight of the ball.  

I can't speak to the play where Davis / Alex couldn't connect as I don't remember it vividly enough to say one way or the other.  Do you have a clip of it by chance?  

15 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My assumption is what youre seeing is when that WR has found the zone in soft spot and gears it back a smidge to keep himself in that voided area longer.  I don't know that I've seen guys do that in man coverage, but it wouldn't surprise me if they hesitate while getting a judgement on the ball, similar to an outfielder playing a pop fly.  The best wrs have the un-teachable ability to track a ball in flight without thinking about running... their body adjusts automatically based on the read of the flight of the ball.  

I can't speak to the play where Davis / Alex couldn't connect as I don't remember it vividly enough to say one way or the other.  Do you have a clip of it by chance?  

The clip, only In my head. Davis on a deep cross middle of the field, moving left, wide open and presumed had slowed, and then steps on it once he saw it.... "overthrown". He is so good at shaking defenders he doesn't need to be at full speed to get wide open, and maybe the entire time he was at that same speed.  Its almost ironic, the guy with the most reps Smith seemed to have the most problems connecting with.  Heh maybe those reps were when both were faster/stronger.  

Good point about man vs zone, or of course running towards the sideline/back of the end zone, we will see slowing.  We do see in man slowing with the defender beat and shielded with the body - always good for a PI.

15 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

#18 got called again for taunting.

Taunting... by Josh Doctson.  Let that settle in.  LOL

That ticked me off. The best taunting is that you got a first down with goal to go at the 2 or 3. Their best taunting was getting the INT after his screw up.

Just now, BleedBNG said:

That ticked me off. The best taunting is that you got a first down with goal to go at the 2 or 3. Their best taunting was getting the INT after his screw up.

Yep. Completely stupid by Doctson. We need a coach who will get it drilled into his head to NOT TAUNT the defense. He  taunted the falcons also, and got a penalty. 

Gotta love the fans - pissed because you say the guy doesn't show enough emotion - doesn't care. Then he starts showing more emotion and shows he does care and it's not the way you want it (taunting call was BS) you **** about that too.

So it's official. n matter what Josh Doctson does you guys are going to **** about him. Just so we are all clear.

Josh Doctson does indeed care. He works his ass off. He has done a lot to improve his game. The taunting calls were both questionable. Does he need to be a little more careful? Probably, Take the option out. But you can't be pissed he shows no emotion then when he does get pissed for that too!

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^the penalty today was not BS. He grabbed the guys face mask with the refs standing right there. He is allowed to show emotion, what he should not be doing is stupid **** like trying to start **** with an opposing player. 

Are you sure the defender didn't start the **** and Doctson just got caught finishing it?

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Are you sure the defender didn't start the **** and Doctson just got caught finishing it?

The defender had Doctson's arm pinned on the ground after the tackle.  Dotson laid still waiting for the dude to get up.  But, the defender put all his weight on Doctson's arm.  He drove his knee into his bicep.  I would hope he is fined for the cheap shot.  Dotson was justified.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If that was the case, the dude has to at least be smart about it and give the football to the ref and get straight to the huddle. What happened today was inexcusable. 

Okay so someone calls you a **** and you just take the football and give it to the ref instead. No self respecting individual would do that over losing 15 yards. He is young. No one can tell me that when they were in the twenties they were saints and showed no anger towards anything or had total control of their anger and outburst. To err is human. 

Not making an excuse for him, it is reality. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If that was the case, the dude has to at least be smart about it and give the football to the ref and get straight to the huddle. What happened today was inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

The defender had Doctson's arm pinned on the ground after the tackle.  Dotson laid still waiting for the dude to get up.  But, the defender put all his weight on Doctson's arm.  He drove his knee into his bicep.  I would hope he is fined for the cheap shot.  Dotson was justified.

As @ILikeBilly stated, there was good reason for Doctson to do what he did. They talked about it on the radio (including Cooley) that it was a garbage call. The guy looked like he was trying to hurt Doctson. So yea, he may have been the one caught,, but does not mean he wasn't justified.

So again, it's a double standard for him. Complain if doesn't show much emotion and then complain when he defends himself and shows some emotion, and you didn't even know why he did what he did. Just assumed he was wrong because of the outcome.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No one mentions that he got beat going for the ball on the next play?  Let the corner for the Giants get inside and get that ball?

Yea, because every player is perfect. But thanks for confirming there is nothing he can do to make some of you happy.

Kid works his ass off. Continues to get better after being injured his first full season and not having QBs that match his skill set. But yet he keeps working, gutting it out, including greatly improving his blocking - leading to him making key blocks on several big plays. He even modified his own shoe after an injury so he could keep playing.  

But instead of acknowledging that, all some of you want to do is nit-pick him and whine about every little thing. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, because every player is perfect. But thanks for confirming there is nothing he can do to make some of you happy.

Kid works his ass off. Continues to get better after being injured his first full season and not having QBs that match his skill set. But yet he keeps working, gutting it out, including greatly improving his blocking - leading to him making key blocks on several big plays. He even modified his own shoe after an injury so he could keep playing.  

But instead of acknowledging that, all some of you want to do is nit-pick him and whine about every little thing. 

Works his ass off?  Where's the proof that he works any harder than anyone else?  Continues to get better, really?  Where?  

Dude got beat, and that wasn't a bad throw.  You're right, no player is perfect and I sure as hell wouldn't call Doctson perfect.  But that's a ball he's gotta win. A better receiver doesn't let that corner get inside.  He didn't fight the CB, didn't fight for position.  Are you going to tell me that he did?

You're acting like Doctson is some game breaking/changing receiver.  He's not.  

34 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Works his ass off?  Where's the proof that he works any harder than anyone else?  Continues to get better, really?  Where?  

Dude got beat, and that wasn't a bad throw.  You're right, no player is perfect and I sure as hell wouldn't call Doctson perfect.  But that's a ball he's gotta win. A better receiver doesn't let that corner get inside.  He didn't fight the CB, didn't fight for position.  Are you going to tell me that he did?

You're acting like Doctson is some game breaking/changing receiver.  He's not.  

You have done nothing but make up your own narrative in the entire comment. I never said he worked harder than anyone else. I never said he was perfect. I never said he is a game breaking/changing receiver. I also never said he should not have made that play. All totally made up by you. 

What I did say and stand by, is that all WRs make mistakes and he made one there. I also said he has worked his ass off - notice no comparison to other players. Also that he has shown improvement in all areas - which have been well documented by the coaches and his teammates. He as made some key blocks on some really big plays. 

He has made steady improvement both in his route running and blocking. Both are clearly evident to anyone with an open mind and actually paying attention. We will never know how good he can be until they get someone that can throw him the ball. In his short time, Colt actually got him involved more than anyone. 

38 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You have done nothing but make up your own narrative in the entire comment. I never said he worked harder than anyone else. I never said he was perfect. I never said he is a game breaking/changing receiver. I also never said he should not have made that play. All totally made up by you. 

What I did say and stand by, is that all WRs make mistakes and he made one there. I also said he has worked his ass off - notice no comparison to other players. Also that he has shown improvement in all areas - which have been well documented by the coaches and his teammates. He as made some key blocks on some really big plays. 

He has made steady improvement both in his route running and blocking. Both are clearly evident to anyone with an open mind and actually paying attention. We will never know how good he can be until they get someone that can throw him the ball. In his short time, Colt actually got him involved more than anyone. 

My point is that all these guys work their asses off.  He's not better than anyone else in that respect.  You saying he works his ass off = doing what he should do.  You're heaping praise on someone for doing their job.  That's not my narrative, that's the truth.

Good for him on making improvements on route running and blocking.  Now if he could come up with a big catch, that'd be something. 

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There's nothing Doctson can do the rest of the way to convince me he's anything other than JAG.  To be fair to.him, the QB play wont allow it, but it's been 3 years and he's just not that good.  I've seen enough.

At least you are honest about the bias. It's been less than 2 yrs - out injured the first. During that time he has yet to have a QB give him enough opportunities. 

Not directed specifically at you: It will be interesting to hear all the whining when he goes somewhere else and becomes a solid #2 or better. 

23 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There's nothing Doctson can do the rest of the way to convince me he's anything other than JAG.  To be fair to.him, the QB play wont allow it, but it's been 3 years and he's just not that good.  I've seen enough.

How have you seen enough when there hasn't even been a constant player at the QB position? If you know anything about football then you should know how chemistry between a WR and QB works. Too few passes have been thrown to him on any given game, so every pass to him has been magnified by some here. 

39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My point is that all these guys work their asses off.  He's not better than anyone else in that respect.  You saying he works his ass off = doing what he should do.  You're heaping praise on someone for doing their job.  That's not my narrative, that's the truth.

Good for him on making improvements on route running and blocking.  Now if he could come up with a big catch, that'd be something. 

Not "heaping" him praise - pointing out that you and others are not even giving him credit for him doing what he can to get better. You keep changing my words to meet your narrative. Please try to stay on point here.

And he has come up with some big catches. But he has not been given very many opportunities. Get a QB that is not chicken **** and I believe you will see some big plays out of him. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Not "heaping" him praise - pointing out that you and others are not even giving him credit for him doing what he can to get better. You keep changing my words to meet your narrative. Please try to stay on point here.

And he has come up with some big catches. But he has not been given very many opportunities. Get a QB that is not chicken **** and I believe you will see some big plays out of him. 

I don't know why you're hardcore defending the guy who got a stupid penalty yesterday and then didn't fight for the ball.  That's my narrative, please try to stay on point here.

46 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, I see where @goskins10 is coming from - Doctson’s been taken to task by fans for low energy/emotion and not showing much.  So, while working hard (even if it isn’t necessarily harder than others) isn’t some awesome feat or sign, it’s nice to see the improvements.  He’s a fair amount of big catches all things considered... the problem is consistency (IMO).  The bright side here is that we’ve started to see him do some of the routine stuff - converting first downs on the comebacks and slants, for example, when previously it was just the occasional big play downfield.  That, and improvements in blocking, are good signs.  

Don't get me wrong, not trying to say he’s arrived or anything, but I do have a bit more hope for him now.  Of course, between our qb situation going forward and going into his 4th year next year, I don’t see him getting re-signed by the Skins in 2020, or getting the 5th year option.  Guess we’ll see.  

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

While I’d put money on it not happening... I would think finishing the season with three consecutive games with good plays and steady production ought to alter the perspective on him.  

35 minutes ago, zskins said:

How have you seen enough when there hasn't even been a constant player at the QB position? If you know anything about football then you should know how chemistry between a WR and QB works. Too few passes have been thrown to him on any given game, so every pass to him has been magnified by some here. 

He had 2 QBs throwing him the ball for a season and a half.  I honestly dont think he's getting a raw deal because he's wide open and Kirk and Alex were just withholding the ball.

Every pass to him is going to be contested because he doesnt get separation.  He's not a speed guy, not really a hands guy, not a technician running routes, what exactly does he do well? 

His calling card was supposed to be his aptitude at 50/50 and jump balls.  Havent really seen that either.  

He's looked marginally better this season, but not enough where I think he's worth relying on going forward.

Archived