Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree.  But he's gotta get way better hands for that to come true.  

He’s got the drops to support what you’re saying but I’d argue it’s way more mental than his hands. He struggles way more with easy catches when he’s thinking about it and I think he’s pressing. On contested plays where he’s just playing naturally and fighting for the ball he’s been relatively impressive.

Reality is everyone here wanted/wants

him to be a physical freak like Julio - both crazy athletic but also a monster after the catch that can make people miss AND run them over. That’s never been who he is. I think he’s developing into a solid possession receiver who can make plays downfield but won’t get much separation and can be a big time red zone target. Unfortunately we won’t see much downfield with him because smith never throws downfield...unless he’s missing a wide open Davis or throwing into double coverage to Brian ****ing Quick....and also missing him badly...

3 minutes ago, moondog said:

He’s got the drops to support what you’re saying but I’d argue it’s way more mental than his hands. He struggles way more with easy catches when he’s thinking about it and I think he’s pressing. On contested plays where he’s just playing naturally and fighting for the ball he’s been relatively impressive.

Reality is everyone here wanted/wants

him to be a physical freak like Julio - both crazy athletic but also a monster after the catch that can make people miss AND run them over. That’s never been who he is. I think he’s developing into a solid possession receiver who can make plays downfield but won’t get much separation and can be a big time red zone target. Unfortunately we won’t see much downfield with him because smith never throws downfield...unless he’s missing a wide open Davis or throwing into double coverage to Brian ****ing Quick....and also missing him badly...

Well mental or hands...or both...if he wants to be a solid #2 on a good team, he's gotta figure it out.  You may be right, he could be pressing.  

People wanted him to be a freak because of his draft status.  Doctson's gotta carry around the weight of being a 1st round pick.  That's not fair or unfair, that's just the way it is.  

Smith isn't doing him favors, I will grant him that.  A QB that doesn't throw that much to receivers isn't what Doctson needed to help him advance.  

41 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

At one point today, Alex "Check-down/Check-mate" Smiff threw downfield to WRs four straight freaking times.... I freaked out

lol i remember that too...i was like "whoa, wtf is going on??!!"...it almost felt like a flicker in the spacetime continuum...two alternate parallel universes colliding and comingling for a brief moment...where we got a glimpse of the "**** it I'm going deep!!!" Smiziff...lol and going deep for him is like 15 yards...

3 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

lol i remember that too...i was like "whoa, wtf is going on??!!"...it almost felt like a flicker in the spacetime continuum...two alternate parallel universes colliding and comingling for a brief moment...where we got a glimpse of the "**** it I'm going deep!!!" Smiziff...lol and going deep for him is like 15 yards...

Yeah, shockingly they moved the ball right down the field....why not do this all the time!!!???

4 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

aaaaand, we probably still punted.

36 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I want Josh to succeed.  If he does well, we do well.

Way to go today, JD18!  Though running a 13 yard route for a 15 yard First Down was almost Redskin-ish... the vaunted "Run and Short" offense.

LOL

Small nit to pick here and I think Brennaman also got it wrong on the broadcast. The defense purposely sets up at the sticks right there. Doc settled in the only space he could settle. What you hope there is that he’s able to make a move or they miss the tackle. But if you look at that replay, there is almost no way it’s going to be a completion if he runs it 1-2 yards deeper. 

44 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I want Josh to succeed.  If he does well, we do well.

Way to go today, JD18!  Though running a 13 yard route for a 15 yard First Down was almost Redskin-ish... the vaunted "Run and Short" offense.

LOL

Actually, I do think he ran to the sticks, but he had to come back for the ball.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Actually, I do think he ran to the sticks, but he had to come back for the ball.

Yeah he had to come back for it and it was still a bit low. I don't really put not converting that 3rd down on Doctson. I think he played well today. That sideline catch where he got his feet in bounds after catching the ball over two defenders was pretty damn impressive. 

On 11/11/2018 at 6:52 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well mental or hands...or both...if he wants to be a solid #2 on a good team, he's gotta figure it out.  You may be right, he could be pressing.  

People wanted him to be a freak because of his draft status.  Doctson's gotta carry around the weight of being a 1st round pick.  That's not fair or unfair, that's just the way it is.  

Smith isn't doing him favors, I will grant him that.  A QB that doesn't throw that much to receivers isn't what Doctson needed to help him advance.  

No but I think he’s getting there. He’s been consistent the last 3-4 games in terms of production despite a few drops and I think smith is starting to trust him and Harris more. It’s incredibly slow and painful but I think the passing game is progressing in that Smith is throwing more to receivers and trusting them a bit on occasion and they’re taking advantage for the most part. Hopefully this continues and by the end of the year we have a watchable passing game. 

I'm happy for Josh. I don't know if he will ever break out of his shell and become the receiver we all hoped he could be. But I give him credit for grinding through the trials and tribulations throughout his career.  I think he can be pretty good, a solid number two.  But so much of what goes into a #1 receiver is mindset/attitude/emotion and thats the part I haven't really seen from Josh yet.

He just seems so disconnected and aloof to the whole thing.  After scoring the touchdown this weekend, everyone came over around him to celebrate his/the teams achievement of a TD, and he basically ran away, lol. It was just weird/awkward, I don't know any other way to describe it. lol.  I hope he continues taking steps and finally just balls out for us.  Alex seems to like throwing his way.

9 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He just seems so disconnected and aloof to the whole thing.  After scoring the touchdown this weekend, everyone came over around him to celebrate his/the teams achievement of a TD, and he basically ran away, lol. It was just weird/awkward, I don't know any other way to describe it. lol.  I hope he continues taking steps and finally just balls out for us.  Alex seems to like throwing his way.

He is not disconnected, he is shy. He just rather let his play on the field do the talking instead... He knows he has lots of catching up to do after missing the 1st year on IR. I still think he can be that #1 WR he was envisioned to be when drafted. He could have a 25+ TD year and I think he still be humble and shy. That's who he is. He is not a showboat like some WR are in the league. He did show some emotions when he spun the ball on the Falcons sideline too bad he got a taunting call for it though. That's probably the most excited I have seen him since he has been here.. lol

This is from last year... 

"Early in the fourth quarter, with the Redskins up 13-3, the Broncos botched their coverage on the back end, allowing the 6-foot-4 wide receiver to run undetected into the end zone for the easy 48-yard score.

“It was a good play-call, so I just had to finish,” Doctson said matter-of-factly.

Paul Niles was far more animated about his teammate’s touchdown."

"To strangers, it’s unclear whether he’s purposely guarded, aloof or just plain standoffish. But his passion for the game is evident, his teammates say. Asked what Doctson is like in the receivers room, Paul smiled and said: “Exactly how he is with y’all. That’s just his personality.”

11 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I'm happy for Josh. I don't know if he will ever break out of his shell and become the receiver we all hoped he could be. But I give him credit for grinding through the trials and tribulations throughout his career.  I think he can be pretty good, a solid number two.  But so much of what goes into a #1 receiver is mindset/attitude/emotion and thats the part I haven't really seen from Josh yet.

At this point, I don't care if he becomes what we hoped. If he can contribute like he has over the past month or so for the duration of his rookie contract, I'll be thrilled. When you consider where we were with him earlier in this season, I'll consider that a big win!

Using Next Gen Stats over the past few weeks, Doctson is improving.  Albeit, still not where you'd hope.  2 Stats i focused on were:

Separation:  Yards separated at time of completion - 2.2 yards.  Up from 1.8 4 weeks ago.  Is this good?  Not particularly, but showing improvement.  I would say some of the issues Alex has at times mixed with Doctson's separation help to shrink that number.  I would prefer him to be with Watkins (3.4) area.  Mo Harris is 3.3 and Reed is 3.1, while Richardson is only 2.8 - his speed i expected higher.  League leader is Coutee at 4.8.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

+/- YAC Expected:  He's "improved" to -.7 - but that also shows his catches in coverage - he's tackled or pushed out immediately, not getting an extra couple yards at all..  Mo Harris is -2.2 (Worst in the NFL) and Richardson is -1.8 (5th worst).  Reed is at 0.  What this tells me is we need to get some plays in the passing game that we need to fight for those yards more often than not.

@SkinsinparadiseYes. That is what I have been saying. Alex needs to get his chemistry lined up with Josh. I am glad Alex is seeing how Josh can go up and get the ball in traffic. If you watch Doc's senior years highlight two things I noticed. He can catch really well and knows how to run a route. He also showed very little emotions after either a 1st down or a TD. If he did celebrate it was for like 3 seconds and no one even noticed... lol

We haven't had a TALL WR since Mix. Josh might even be taller, I think. I really want Alex and Josh to work it out so it can benefit the passing game. It will open things up for sure when you have basketball type of player on your football team. :)

12 minutes ago, superozman said:

+/- YAC Expected:  He's "improved" to -.7 - but that also shows his catches in coverage - he's tackled or pushed out immediately, not getting an extra couple yards at all..  Mo Harris is -2.2 (Worst in the NFL) and Richardson is -1.8 (5th worst).  Reed is at 0.  What this tells me is we need to get some plays in the passing game that we need to fight for those yards more often than not.

Could this stat be a function of the QB? I wonder if throwing the ball a tick later in routes reduces the amount of extra yards a receiver can get? 

Mo seems to go down awful quick on his catches.  Like he is trying to save time.  It doesn't surprise me to see YUCKY YAC numbers.  Worst in the league is impressive. Seeing the others lackluster YAC, I think the finger eventually gets pointed at Alex or Jay and his play calling. Run to a spot, and stop!

50 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Mo seems to go down awful quick on his catches.  Like he is trying to save time.  It doesn't surprise me to see YUCKY YAC numbers.  Worst in the league is impressive. Seeing the others lackluster YAC, I think the finger eventually gets pointed at Alex or Jay and his play calling. Run to a spot, and stop!

These past few weeks I've been thinking that Mo drops like that because he doesn't want to get another concussion.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Could this stat be a function of the QB? I wonder if throwing the ball a tick later in routes reduces the amount of extra yards a receiver can get? 

Thats a damn good point.  If Alex clutches or waits an extra second - does that mean the defenders get closer (separation is less) and therefore when the reception occurs, they don't get as much YAC as expected?

First example where that comes to mind.  Doctson on 3rd and 14 got 13.  The announcer went after Doctson on not running the route - but really was the ball late?  Not saying it way - that play could be put on Doctson, Alex or even both.

Just now, superozman said:

Thats a damn good point.  If Alex clutches or waits an extra second - does that mean the defenders get closer (separation is less) and therefore when the reception occurs, they don't get as much YAC as expected?

First example where that comes to mind.  Doctson on 3rd and 14 got 13.  The announcer went after Doctson on not running the route - but really was the ball late?  Not saying it way - that play could be put on Doctson, Alex or even both.

Late passes will almost certainly impact separation. They can also lead a receiver another step or two toward a sideline so that there's no realistic way to turn upfield after the catch. 

Now, I have no clue if this is impacting the numbers at all. I'd be curious what that stat is traditionally for each player prior to Smith...

Archived