Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

OK, I've got this chronic "sinking" feeling about Josh Doctson.

First I went to search for "the Curious Case of Josh Doctson" thread and I could not find it.

What I found instead were 5 pages of general malaise, with thread titles ranging from "nagging injuries" to coaches "swearing that this will be The Year."

For those of you who attend the games, this one's for you.  If I were in the stadium, I would lock on to what #18 is doing during the entire game.  On TV, he just doesnt appear to have any fire in the belly.  He's got this "aw shucks" demeanor.  This shapes my negative feeling for him in addition to his lack of production in the passing game.

What have you seen that the cameras dont show?

Just now, petey hodge said:

OK, I've got this chronic "sinking" feeling about Josh Doctson.

First I went to search for "the Curious Case of Josh Doctson" thread and I could not find it.

What I found instead were 5 pages of general malaise, with thread titles from nagging injuries to coaches swearing that this will be The Year.

For those of you who attend the games, this one's for you.  If I were in the stadium, I would lock on to what #18 is doing during the entire game.  On TV, he just doesnt appear to have any fire in the belly.  He's got this "aw shucks" demeanor.  This shapes my negative feeling for him in addition to his lack of production in the passing game.

What have you seen that the cameras dont show?

There have been rumors since before the draft about how “all in” he was for football. However, I would strongly caution against trying to gauge how much a guy cares based on his facial expressions or however you perceive “fire in his belly.” 

So peoplw simply don’t wear their emotions on their sleeve the way others do. And honestly, sure some guys probably “care” or love it more than others. For some it may literally just be a job like yours and mine. That doesn’t matter to me. You can be indifferent about your job and still give it your best— that’s called being professional. So whether or not Doc really “cares” doesn’t matter to me. I understand that as a fan I care about the Redskins a whole lot more than most of the players do. That doesn’t bug me at all though. 

With Doc, all I care about is he trying his hardest? Even if football isn’t a burning passion for him as long as he works hard and does his best that’s all that should matter. 

By all accounts he can barely put on a shoe right now. Who am I to judge the pain threshold or seriousness of his injury? Looked to me like he was trying to gut it out yesterday. 

Now, I’m also very close to accepting that he’s just not very good and likely is going to be a bust pick. Does that have to do with his heart and demeanor? I don’t know that. Probably more likely due to be fact that he really struggles to separate from corners— something he struggled with in college as well. 

Kleese is pretty right on.  At the end of the day, I won't knock a guy for being hurt/injured.  It comes down to whether the guy can play on the NFL level or not.  Jordan Reed has missed a lot of time. Chris Thompson too. The only reason they are still around is because when healthy they are an asset on the offense. 

I will say Doctson's time is running out as far as being able to command any kind of financial commitment from a front office. 

One small moment from yesterday changed my perception of him just a bit, based, really on a hunch.  On one of his receptions, his ankle got bent under him at a terrible angle.  I saw it and thought, jeezus, he's going be out again with another injury.  As someone who has rolled my ankles innumerable times, I knew that had to hurt like a son of a ****. 

Yet he toughed it out.

Feel the same way about him every time I see him. He gets up slow after every catch, he meanders back to the huddle, he looks like it's a struggle to stay engaged with what's going on. Granted, these things don't always paint a fully accurate picture of someone, but it sure doesn't inspire. It's also really rare for a player to have this kind of bad start in the NFL and then to suddenly turn it on and become a stud. He looks like he's got all the physical attributes except heart. Happy for him to prove me wrong. He just better do it soon. 

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The only facial expression he should have is 

after we cut his worthless butt.  Hated this draft pick when it happened, still hate it today, wasted pick.  

If that happens, I just see him shrugging and walking away. 

Awesome thread, I'm watching the game yesterday and watching his face and body language after the catch and nothing...... Just zero emotion. Now if this is a case of the dude being depressed and having some issues going outside of football i sincerely apologize and hope the dude gets help and better. If this is just a case of him not giving a flying **** then that really burns my ass ass the arm chair QB i AM!!! He looks completely unmotivated out there.

Not as much as we need him too.

Actions speak louder then words, though I don't remember the last time I heard him say something like wanting to be the best at his position or wanting the ball.  He's going through motions, Richardson should be above him on the depth chart.

I would not re-sign him, he's a bust. 

9 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

If a guy doesn't spin the ball, dance and point after every first down catch, he simply doesn't care! Dilly, dilly!!!

A player doesn't need to behave like a jackass to show emotion especially one who has battled injury's his whole career but, the face and eyes don't lie and it doesn't take a head doctor to see this guy has a blank slate across his face. Not a good sign. Play with a little emotion 

5 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

A player doesn't need to behave like a jackass to show emotion especially one who has battled injury's his whole career but, the face and eyes don't lie and it doesn't take a head doctor to see this guy has a blank slate across his face. Not a good sign. Play with a little emotion 

Honestly, what does it say about our FO that they couldn't figure out that Doctson's head wasn't into the game when they considered him for a first round pick? Where was the ****ing due diligence?!?!?

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I understand the OP's sentiment and also get why you feel like you do. But, in the end, it's ridiculous to base anything on a guy's face...especially when we get about 1% of the story based on the TV cameras, etc. Barry Sanders probably didn't care as much as most NFL players. That guy's permanent stoic look never changed and he retired very early. I wouldn't have cared one bit for the 8-10 years I got to watch him as a Lions fan. 

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Honestly, what does it say about our FO that they couldn't figure out that Doctson's head wasn't into the game when they considered him for a first round pick? Where was the ****ing due diligence?!?!?

KPVN6FEUUUI6PBECRXE2PLZJ7E.jpg

Pass the Jack...

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

One small moment from yesterday changed my perception of him just a bit, based, really on a hunch.  On one of his receptions, his ankle got bent under him at a terrible angle.  I saw it and thought, jeezus, he's going be out again with another injury.  As someone who has rolled my ankles innumerable times, I knew that had to hurt like a son of a ****. 

Yet he toughed it out.

Yeah I noticed that play and freaked for him.

But he still remained on the field and I haven't read anything regarding injury from him so far.

My respect for Doctson actually went up this weekend.

He was clearly way below 100% - he was limping between snaps and on the sideline. But he toughed it out and although he only had 3 catches for not many yards they were tough contested catches he had to fight for. 

This does not mean I can see him becoming the next Art Monk - but at least it showed me he has heart.

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

(Scot McLoughan pic)

Pass the Jack...

Yeah, I get it. So strange since one of his well-publicized criteria for prioritizing a guy in the draft was that they are "football players". Seems to really have swung and missed with both this guy and Su'a Cravens.

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Yeah, I get it. So strange since one of his well-publicized criteria for prioritizing a guy in the draft was that they are "football players". Seems to really have swung and missed with both this guy and Su'a Cravens.

Yep, he missed badly with those guys. He made up for them with a starting-caliber DL (Matt Ioanidis) and a starting CB (Kendall Fuller). 

1 hour ago, Kurd Cudins said:

If a guy doesn't spin the ball, dance and point after every first down catch, he simply doesn't care! Dilly, dilly!!!

I doubt we will get many chances to see his reaction after a first down catch due to the rarity of this occurance. I am glad he toughed it out yesterday, but pretty much same result.    

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Feel the same way about him every time I see him. He gets up slow after every catch, he meanders back to the huddle, he looks like it's a struggle to stay engaged with what's going on. Granted, these things don't always paint a fully accurate picture of someone, but it sure doesn't inspire. It's also really rare for a player to have this kind of bad start in the NFL and then to suddenly turn it on and become a stud. He looks like he's got all the physical attributes except heart. Happy for him to prove me wrong. He just better do it soon. 

If that happens, I just see him shrugging and walking away. 

there's been players who always get up slow, so your opponent don't know when you're getting up slow because of pain

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

My respect for Doctson actually went up this weekend.

He was clearly way below 100% - he was limping between snaps and on the sideline. But he toughed it out and although he only had 3 catches for not many yards they were tough contested catches he had to fight for. 

This does not mean I can see him becoming the next Art Monk - but at least it showed me he has heart.

he also had a fourth for a really good gain nullified by a penalty

6 minutes ago, carex said:

there's been players who always get up slow, so your opponent don't know when you're getting up slow because of pain

Yeah, but those players usually make some plays. That's all that matters: make some plays. This guy hasn't earned the right to be playing any head games with anyone.

Archived