Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

1 hour ago, carex said:

Christian is inactive ever week.  If Trent went down while Ty was playing guard then Ty would move back out to tackle and we'd be back to Roullier at G and Bergstrom at C

Or better yet, Chase at C and Bergstrom at LG.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

You put your best 5 linemen on the field. Period. If someone gets hurt, you're pretty screwed as is. 

If Gruden/Callahan thought Bergstrom at C and Roullier at LG was putting the five best linemen on the field at their best positions... that scares the hell out of me... and I'm not sure I agree given what we've seen (but we don't see it all)

I would say the best lineup would be:

LT Trent Williams

LG Ty Nsheke

C Chase Roullier

RG Brandon Scherff

RT Morgan Moses

if Ty CAN'T play LG and Trent @ LG and Ty @ LT is obviously better, you do that.

But I'd keep Trent at LT if you can for the same reason I'd keep Roullier at C. Continuity.

1000x this

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think the disparity is shocking.  I expected better, I didn't expect THAT much better.  I think it shows how much Roullier would have to improve to be a competent LG.  And that's a shocking amount.

But Roullier is a quality C. We honestly should have just kept him there instead of creating two holes.

I’d like to give a Big shout out to the Oline yesterday and in particular Number #77. Most people don’t like the guy, but when healthy, he’s pretty good.

There was a noticeable difference in the soundness of the protection and the push in the run game. Chase is a center, a damn good one. 

6 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’d like to give a Big shout out to the Oline yesterday and in particular Number #77. Most people don’t like the guy, but when healthy, he’s pretty good.

There was a noticeable difference in the soundness of the protection and the push in the run game. Chase is a center, a damn good one. 

I've never understood the hate for Lauvao. It's almost like he's just an easy scapegoat. Even watching film he's never been all that bad.

His issue, and we touched on it earlier in this thread, is his health. If he were healthy I wouldn't have much negative to say.

I have liked Lauvao since I saw a few games where he and Trent were mauling DBs many years back.  What are his key traits - is he a better run than pass blocker? I think so. And he is cut from the Shanahan mobility mode IIRC.  If true, he and Trent are not road graders.  Regardless they seem to make a good pair.  There is a reason no one can beat him out. He is not perfect but he clearly works well with Trent - continuity is something we hear preached an awful lot.

What was our stunt shunt rate this week.... paging advanced stats once again. Does anyone remember any stunts at all? I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

This game emphasizes a point made earlier in the thread. Our line, to a man, are completely injury prone.

if there is a tackle worth drafting as the future LT you take him. Let him lay RT for Moses. Sign a decent LG. Now you have Moses for depth and you’ve corrected some issues.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This game was decided after three plays by the incompetence of Shawn Lauvao.  I’ve never seen a guy get so completely annihilated right outta the gate like that.  

You talking about setting a tone?  Well, Lauvao set the tone today.

he absolutely got manhandled today. 

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Matty Ion can play several games with a broken hand, why can't Trent Williams play with a broken thumb ?

Most OL need to grab on tight to get their advantage (see ATL and NO games for reference), but since he a Redskin and would get called for it anyway, yes... why he can't just play now??? 

? 

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Matty Ion can play several games with a broken hand, why can't Trent Williams play with a broken thumb ?

Ioannidis still missed a bunch of time when it first happened. He didnt break it and play right away.  Then when he came back, he wasn't as effective playing with protection on it.  

Surgery almost always requires missing some time.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This game emphasizes a point made earlier in the thread. Our line, to a man, are completely injury prone.

if there is a tackle worth drafting as the future LT you take him. Let him lay RT for Moses. Sign a decent LG. Now you have Moses for depth and you’ve corrected some issues.

Moses has a big contract. If he's not starting you cut him.

The best bet might be to draft a LT and move Williams to LG, but if he's injury prone at one position he's injury prone at them all. We may need to decide if he's worth the contract considering how his body is breaking down...

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Moses has a big contract. If he's not starting you cut him.

The best bet might be to draft a LT and move Williams to LG, but if he's injury prone at one position he's injury prone at them all. We may need to decide if he's worth the contract considering how his body is breaking down...

draft a left tackle who can also play guard.  Play him at guard the first few years, then move him over when Trent goes

6 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

After watching the Redskins today it’s odd war watching other games with no injuries to the O-line.

how do we have so many injuries?

Have you ever seen a player taken off the field on a wheelchair before today?

I mean seriously I have seen the cart or carried off but a wheelchair that was a first for me at least

Archived