Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Only thing worse about last night was ESPN coverage of MNF

pappy1271

MNF used to be something to look forward to. First-year football announcer Whitten with that nobody on Monday Night Football? I like Booger MacFarland but he has a real bromance with Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins must have really pi$$ed in his Corn Flakes because it was all about how Alex Smith does what Kirk never did. LIke, throw an accurate pass downfield! Didn't the Skins offense lead the league or something last year in 20+ yard pass plays, may be wrong on that but either way I guess if he had someone to throw to besides running backs and tight ends. I knew last night was going to be bad with ESPN placed a graphic on the screen of Alex Smith labeling Drew Brees as the Washington Redskins QB.1333497965_2018-10-0819_26_37.thumb.jpg.5bea138877e8f1d2f0ca269360f7b224.jpg

I watched last night's game from a noisy bar, so really didn't hear the announcers.  I've only heard one MNF broadcast so far, the one last week between the Chiefs and Broncos, and thought Tes and Witten were OK. I could probably do without the interjections from Booger on the sideline......nothing against him personally, but I just prefer a two-man booth.  

This new crew sucks. Tessitore sounds like he's about to stroke out with excitement after every mediocre play.

"Oh my! Adrian Peterson off the left for 3 yards!!! It'll be 3rd and 6!! Holy Moses!"

Witten is nothing to write home about, and McFarland just Robocops his way around the stadium in that futuristic looking wheelchair, interjecting occasionally on how much taller he is than Drew Brees.

It's bad.

I don't know if anyone caught it or not (it was later in the game), but I found it funny how Witten and McFarland were initially saying how Smith added a new dimension to the offense that Cousins never could and then by the 4th quarter they both talked about how Smith was never going to take a team to the next level and that's why the Chiefs moved on from him.  

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't know if anyone caught it or not (it was later in the game), but I found it funny how Witten and McFarland were initially saying how Smith added a new dimension to the offense that Cousins never could and then by the 4th quarter they both talked about how Smith was never going to take a team to the next level and that's why the Chiefs moved on from him.  

I didn’t notice because I was trying hard not to pay attention to them.  It’s sad that Boogers generic nuggets are the most prominent statements made on their entire broadcast.

ESPN should do MNF the same way they do the NCAA National Championship.  Have 1 channel with the 3 stooges, have 1 channel with 'expert round table', then have 1 channel with literally NO commentary, just the sounds of the stadium, with a break in for breaking news like Injuries and stuff.  They'd make a killing.  Why they have different programming going on on ESPN 2 during a main event is beyond me... they're not going to get any real ratings on that secondary channel... why not utilize the same product in different facets, so we don't have to listen to nonsense.  Bars would KILL if they had the stadium channel pumped through the speakers instead of the commentary.   

Thursday Night Football has Buck and Aikman now. The Fox A Team. Their mere presence on the game makes it seem bigger than the matchup otherwise might be. Even when they had the CBS crew it was that way, Nantz and Simms, Nantz and Romo. Even though, there was a time when it was a more generic booth. Bob Papa and somebody else, I remember.

Sunday Night Football has the same thing with Michaels and Collinsworth. Guys who have called Super Bowls.

MNF is a bunch of dudes. Nobody with any juice or charisma. At least when it was Gruden and Tirico a few years ago, it seemed like a big time booth.

Tessitore/Witten/McFarland cant be the A team, it just cant.

Archived