Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

247Sports: Josh Norman benched during Redskins' blowout loss

brandymac27

11 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I just saw that Michael Thomas put out a tweet on Josh that pretty much said "I made your boy check out after the first half."

?

Just disrespectful!!  I'm actually mad for Josh Norman.

I mean Norman has been known to run his mouth. What do you expect after getting smacked around. Shut your mouth and play. If you spend as much time as he has talking you better expect some chatter back once you get embarrassed like he did. Ramsey for the Jags time is coming as well. 

10 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

The pressure sucked, we had no blitz and its not on norman

we played the best offensive wr in the nfl guy is going to have 200 catches

Its not just on Norman, but to say Norman its not on Norman is wrong. The guy has not been that good at all this year. Only reason it hasn't been talked about is because GB WRs dropped balls and the other 2 teams suck. Now they got a taste of a good team and we all see what kind of defense this is. Norman isn't worth what he's getting paid. They would be better off trading him for Alex Smith. With that being said I don't think Fuller has been all that great, but at least he was cheap. 

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Norman has been really disappointing....I don't know the cause of it, but I think D. Hall is on the right track....his focus hasn't been on football because he got paid/wants to be a celebrity.

I didn't hear this from Hall, but I agree with this statement. He's good at talking and marketing himself. Not so much at playing CB. 

For anyone who missed Allen's interview...

Before boarding my flight back to the east coast, I wanted to drop this on your timeline.

During last night's #Redskins loss in #NOLA, @jonallen93_ was as emotional as we've seen him – both on the sideline & in the postgame locker room.#HTTR#WASvsNOhttps://t.co/bcg345ppnkpic.twitter.com/khgqpEZHuZ

— Adam Winkler (@AdamWinkSports) October 9, 2018

6 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Norman hasn’t been good for quite some time. HeÂ’s a competitor and a good leader, but heÂ’s lost pretty much all ability to play man coverage. 

He's a competitor in regards to his own stats. Nothing he has shown since being here is that he is a good teammate. Secondary got embarrassed and he is running his mouth to me of the receivers who embarrassed the secondary worrying about how he held Thomas to 0 catches. 

4 hours ago, JRobinson said:

Dude was bad last night.  Thomas is among elite status though.  Not many can cover him. 

I’m sure someone has the exact stats, but Thomas only caught 4 passes. I remember 2 of them were against zone and he was covered by a LB. I don’t know if Norman was great in coverage against Thomas or not, but I do remember most of his damage being against LBs. 

However, this does not change the fact that Norman was bad last night. The record breaking play he was clearly doing the wrong thing. It sounds like that is what led in part to his benching. There is more to it I’m sure. But Norman is not worth what he is getting paid. And if he starts to become a headache to coaches or teammates, then he needs to be jettisoned as quickly as possible. I don’t think things are at that point yet, but it’s something to keep an eye on.

What annoys me more than anything about Norman is how often he's jawing and pushing/shoving guys after plays. You just know he's going to commit an unsportsmanlike penalty. And its a bad example for the young players. See: Nicholson's horrendously stupid penalty last night. The youth take on the examples set by the veterans. Its like Sterling Shepard in NY acting a fool on the sidelines, imitating Beckham. But you don't see this nonsense happen in strong locker rooms.

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It sucks because while we can debate whether Norman was ever worth the money the front office paid him, he wasn't bad the first couple of seasons.  He wasn't as good as we had hoped he would be, but this season he has just been downright bad.  I wonder if he has just hit a wall physically and just can no longer compete with NFL caliber WR's or if his head isn't into the grind of the NFL anymore?  This kind of reminds me of when the Eagles signed Nmandi Asomugha coming off some really good seasons and was instantly garbage.  Norman just took a couple of seasons to get there.

It can happen.  I’m sure many of you remember Chris Dishman. He went from pro bowl quality corner to the garbage heap in one offseason.  

4 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

I’m sure someone has the exact stats, but Thomas only caught 4 passes. I remember 2 of them were against zone and he was covered by a LB. I don’t know if Norman was great in coverage against Thomas or not, but I do remember most of his damage being against LBs. 

However, this does not change the fact that Norman was bad last night. The record breaking play he was clearly doing the wrong thing. It sounds like that is what led in part to his benching. There is more to it I’m sure. But Norman is not worth what he is getting paid. And if he starts to become a headache to coaches or teammates, then he needs to be jettisoned as quickly as possible. I don’t think things are at that point yet, but it’s something to keep an eye on.

I saw on one replay Mason Foster running after someone and he was literally like 10 yards behind him chasing.  It was cringe-worthy.  I know linebackers will have to cover tight ends & RBs occasionally but why does our defense always seem to have linebackers covering a WR?

Also, someone on the radio said today that Norman's benching had to do with his choice to keep free lancing instead of sticking to the zone scheme.  Supposedly he did it against Green Bay too on the one play where Swearinger came up and Norman just hung him out to dry.  Swearinger even eluded to it after the game but didn't want to say it in plain english.  After the game against the Saints Jonathan Allen was visually upset an re-iterated his frustration with undisciplined football.

8 hours ago, brandymac27 said:

For anyone who missed Allen's interview...

Before boarding my flight back to the east coast, I wanted to drop this on your timeline.

During last night's #Redskins loss in #NOLA, @jonallen93_ was as emotional as we've seen him – both on the sideline & in the postgame locker room.#HTTR#WASvsNOhttps://t.co/bcg345ppnkpic.twitter.com/khgqpEZHuZ

— Adam Winkler (@AdamWinkSports) October 9, 2018

Hes gonna mentally break isnt he? The culture is so bad, the vets dont really care much about winning. JA actually cares about winning, he should get the C on his Jersey next year. 

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hes gonna mentally break isnt he? The culture is so bad, the vets dont really care much about winning. JA actually cares about winning, he should get the C on his Jersey next year. 

Imagine going from a team/system like Alabama where winning is a habit to a dumpster fire like this where losing is a habit.  

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Imagine going from a team/system like Alabama where winning is a habit to a dumpster fire like this where losing is a habit.  

Yep hes shell shocked and embarrassed. That's how he should feel, these guys should take losing personally because that's their job. It should be embarrassing if you're bad at your job. When the Browns look better than you and have a better future, theres a serious issue. 

11 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

An interesting fact about this story is that  Dunbar too had a problem with Thomas' trash talk.

And Dunbar is not exactly the kind of guy used to running his mouth too much.

So there might be much more to this story than just Norman.

Sorry, if you don't like the trash talk them shut them up with play. It's the same thing with getting angry for teams running it up. If you don't like it, stop them. Both guys, along with the rest of the team, should have been more worried about doing their jobs than what someone on the other team was saying. 

I think we should have benched Norman for a play, not the series. Yes, 1 play and he would have still gotten the message.

I think it cost us 2 TDs to teach him a lesson, vs 1. I wish Gruden was aggressive like that, in clearly targeting backups etc. I remember Joe Gibbs II being too nice to do that.

24 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think we should have benched Norman for a play, not the series. Yes, 1 play and he would have still gotten the message.

I think it cost us 2 TDs to teach him a lesson, vs 1. I wish Gruden was aggressive like that, in clearly targeting backups etc. I remember Joe Gibbs II being too nice to do that.

Gruden should've benched him the entire 2nd half.   Either he didn't know his responsibilities,  or he abandoned them for the second straight game, resulting in a coverage breakdown.   You can't be a leader on defense,  doing that.  

Nothing we were doing was working defensively when he was in the game. Realistically Brees would've just carved the defense elsewhere.   

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, if you don't like the trash talk them shut them up with play. It's the same thing with getting angry for teams running it up. If you don't like it, stop them. Both guys, along with the rest of the team, should have been more worried about doing their jobs than what someone on the other team was saying. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I really don’t care what Thomas had to say.  Norman always has plenty to say.  Same with DJ.  They are basically admitting that they let Thomas get in their heads.  Not good.

1 hour ago, sempre_victrix said:

You shut people up by doing your job and shutting them down.  This needs to be Josh's last year here.  There is no way he is worth what he is being paid.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

DJ keeps saying he wants to change the culture, yet these guys all complained about Thomas essentially cheating after the game.  That's what losers do.  

So there some beginning of an explanation here:

Stating basically that Thomas went physical to say the least on Norman after the end of the very first play of the game. Norman gets physical on second play and gets flagged.

So yeah, maybe they shouldn't let this get into their head, but that still seems kinda hard to do and get over when someone  can do whatever he wants and you cannot answer because you're getting flagged. That's gonna piss a lots of guys in the NFL. And Michael Thomas stats' line has nothing to boast over.

You know, when it comes to trash talking, Norman is not the last to do, Swearinger as well. And Norman got some heated exchange with OBJ in the past. Still, it never camed to this end.

Archived