Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo Journalist killed in Saudi Consolate

Bozo the kKklown

48 minutes ago, Destino said:

That's almost certainly a big part of it.  Screwing up oil prices is a political death trap.  People think "big oil" when this is discussed but it's the people that have to choose between a full tank of gas and full stomach that feel changed in gas prices most acutely.  The economy could be humming, but the perception would still be grim if gas gets back up to 4+ a gallon.

It is much, much larger than any short term economic issue.  I really think it's a precipitous moment in world history. The President of the Free World is waging an ongoing battle with a free press, unprecedented in scope, as he buddies up to despots around the world (Putin, Kim, Duerte, MBS). One of those leaders scoops up a U.S. journalist in a foreign country, then murders and dismembers him.  It cannot stand. Otherwise, the silence from the United States would be deafening, and devastating.  It's not worth a couple of big contracts to Boeing or Raytheon.  Not in the long term

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

One of those leaders scoops up a U.S. journalist in a foreign country, then murders and dismembers him.  It cannot stand. Otherwise, the silence from the United States would be deafening, and devastating.  It's not worth a couple of big contracts to Boeing or Raytheon.  Not in the long term

Trump is pointing out he wasn't American but it wouldn't matter if he was anyways.

Edited by Cooked Crack

41 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Trump is pointing out he wasn't American but it wouldn't matter if he was anyways.

The man chose to gain permanent residence in Virginia, in the United States of America, in order that he might continue to work as a journalist in a nation that guarantees a free press.  There's nothing more American than that.

• Like 2

I feel like the American media is going to head into hyperspeed over this.

They all see themselves as part of the story and that’s gonna bring an even greater scrutiny on Trump.

The only question is whether their corporate masters will allow them.

And if in the midst of all the anger, is anyone going to ask why Turkey has microphone and video recordings inside the Saudi Arabia embassy?

This is one of the craziest story I have ever seen

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They all see themselves as part of the story and that’s gonna bring an even greater scrutiny on Trump.

And if in the midst of all the anger, is anyone going to ask why Turkey has microphone and video recordings inside the Saudi Arabia embassy?

I saw something that indicated he was wearing an iWatch and was recording when he entered the embassy. Maybe the Turks were given access to the recording?

I only say this because of a post above, but is there anyone else in the world more unlikable than DJT Jr?  The man has the aura of a despicable son of a rich person who has never worked a day in his life and has no idea about how anything is in real life.  Just out of touch and affirms that with every single word he says.  His smugness beckons to be punched off of his face.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, visionary said:

The Yemen War is another underreported horror show. The US is backing that atrocity.

22 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think Richard Engel said it may have been synced to a phone he left behind with his fiance? 

Bruh, the Turks bugged that embassy. The Apple Watch is convenient, but don’t let that sideshow distract you.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I only say this because of a post above, but is there anyone else in the world more unlikable than DJT Jr?  The man has the aura of a despicable son of a rich person who has never worked a day in his life and has no idea about how anything is in real life.  Just out of touch and affirms that with every single word he says.  His smugness beckons to be punched off of his face.

He's the son of a son who got all his money from Daddy. I hope there's not a Donald Trump III. I don't think the world is ready for that.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:32 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

The level of outrage over the killing of this one guy is wildly disproportionate relative to the rivers of blood spilled by Saudi Arabia.  The only explanation is that journalists feel personally attacked by the killing of one of their own.  They aren’t going to let this go, and many are likely to hold a grudge.  

Their “corporate masters” could find themselves targeted if they too clumsily get in the way of this.  Americans may be hesitant to word it as such, but it’s clear that this murder has made a martyr of Jamal Khashoggi.

Uh... it was his uh.... watch!  Yes, the watch!  Definitely his watch.  

Edited by Destino
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:32 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

4 hours ago, Destino said:

The level of outrage of the killing of this one guy is wildly disproportionate relative to the rivers of blood spilled by Saudi Arabia.  The only explanation is that journalists feel personally attacked by the killing of one of their own.  They aren’t going to let this go, and many are likely to hold a grudge.  

Their “corporate masters” could find themselves targeted if they too clumsily get in the way of this.  Americans may be hesitant to word it as such, but it’s clear that this murder has made a martyr of Jamal Khashoggi.

The Economist is the latest media outlet to withdraw from the Davos in the Desert Summit.  They follow CNN, the New York Times, CNBC, the Financial Times, and the Los Angeles Times, not to mention the Washington Post

Saudis Threaten Global Economic Repercussions if Punished for 'Murdered' Journalist

Saudi Arabia said on Sunday it would retaliate to possible economic sanctions taken by other states over the case of Jamal Khashoggi, the state news agency SPA reported quoting an official source.

The kingdom will respond to any measure against it with bigger measures, the source said, adding: "The Saudi economy has vital and influential roles for the global economy."

"The Kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether by threatening to impose economic sanctions, using political pressures, or repeating false accusations..." the official Saudi Press Agency quoted an unnamed government source as saying.