Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo Journalist killed in Saudi Consolate

Bozo the kKklown

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Can someone give us the crib notes version of what happened and why this matters?

Washington Post reporter and US resident was killed for criticizing the Saudi government (KSA) by the Saudi government.  US is also nominally allied with the KSA.   

It would be like if we lured Snowden to a US consulate in Russia, and then killed him 

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

So Saudi Prince is in tight with Kusher so Daddy-in-Law Trump is likely to sweep it under the rug.  Trump's minions will scream "Who cares he's not a U.S. Citizen, not our problem" 

Not only was he not a full US citizen, he was a brown Muslim non citizen. Case closed.

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand this right, the Saudis wanted to kill this guy but not be held responsible for it.  They don’t even want to acknowledge they did it.  So the plan they came up with was to lure him into the Saudi consulate, and kill him there?  

Seems like a pretty stupid plan.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

So business leaders are pulling away from the Saudis left and right, but Donald Trump doesn't want to disrupt the money flow.  Way to show moral leadership, you craven ****.

Is it the money flow?  I feel like the US has been happy to mostly ignore Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses for decades.  Compared to the horrors they've committed recently and in years past, murdering a journalist is a drop in the bucket.  I doubt the hesitancy to take a hard line stance against Saudi Arabia shown by many US presidential administrations can be explained by money alone. 

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Is it the money flow?  I feel like the US has been happy to mostly ignore Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses for decades.  Compared to the horrors they've committed recently and in years past, murdering a journalist is a drop in the bucket.  I doubt the hesitancy to take a hard line stance against Saudi Arabia shown by many US presidential administrations can be explained by money alone. 

oil, innit?

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

oil, innit?

That's almost certainly a big part of it.  Screwing up oil prices is a political death trap.  People think "big oil" when this is discussed but it's the people that have to choose between a full tank of gas and full stomach that feel changed in gas prices most acutely.  The economy could be humming, but the perception would still be grim if gas gets back up to 4+ a gallon.