Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Allen/Ioannidis/Payne = D-Block

Commander -JB-

There’s been some talk about us spreading out to dare the packers and Colts to run the ball against us, so we could focus on dropping into coverage defend the main threat in those games......the pass. The game in NOLA will be interesting in that the Saints should have a very good pass game AND run game with ingram coming back from suspension. What’s everyone’s take on rust vs rest in regard to ingram playing his first game against us?  

I’m of the thinking that he will be in good shape and angry and looking to make a statement. I was at the game in NOLA last year and he crushed us. Here’s to hoping we can shut him down next monday night. 

13 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

They are 8th in total yards but their avg yards per carry is well over 5 (I think 5.6 or 5.8). Still not any good at stopping the run...just been better at getting big leads in the first half. 

They are 8th in total rushing yards, 2nd in total yards, 2nd in points per game, and the #1 overall D in the league right now.

What is really really cool is that the worst performers on D right now have been:

J Norman

R Kerrigan

P Smith

If those guys can get their performance back up to normal levels, this D could really start to dominate.

One thing that I have not seen pointed out is that our O is among the leaders in time of possession. It cannot be overstated as to how helpful that is to a D to stay fresh and tweak the gameplan.

If Mr. Smith and company can continue to manage the O and dominate the TOP this d has potential.

BTW - the best way to manage Time OP is to have some nasty maulers on the O Line to dominate the LOS.

Our guys have been pretty steady for the most part, but as always the looming injury bug could decimate this team's potential.

WE HAVE TO DRAFT DEPTH ON THE OL!!!!!

(and continue to develop depth on the DL)

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We went from last in the league in rush defense in 2017, to 6th in the league.

Pretty damn good jump in such a short span.

Daron Payne turned 21 years old over the summer. He is striking fear in professional ball players game after game as they line up. They might not know they are scared of him at the beginning of the game, but after the first quarter they are asking for help blocking him.

Allen is a master technician with agility, strength, length and a rabid dog mentality. Not to mention a QB on the line. Love him. 

Ioannidis is Matty the Greek (Turkish doesn't rhyme) his strength is off the charts and is a nasty nasty guy with burst and that spin move (he's saving the ice pick for when it matters, the good ones always keep one in their back pocket) 

I watched the game again tonight and focused on the lines the whole time. We have a very very good one. 

They're gonna be a problem. 

On 9/27/2018 at 10:24 AM, jbird said:

the #1 overall D in the league right now.

To maintain that #1 overall ranking DESPITE the New Orleans game, shows you just how bad ass they have been in the other 5 games

14 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

They're gonna be a problem. 

Baldy says they already is a problem !

But yes, they're gonna be....for a long time.

I am thrilled to see the def line reach our most optimistic expectations.  If those three stay healthy, we will be tough to beat.  Especially as colder weather creeps in and teams rely more on the running game.  

I hope people will stop ****ing about what else we could've done at 13 overall.  I know Allen's health and Matt i's development are a key part, but Payne has been a monster addition and the impact is significant.  Our defense went to elite overnight.  Hard to expect better than that at 13 overall.

37 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I am thrilled to see the def line reach our most optimistic expectations.  If those three stay healthy, we will be tough to beat.  Especially as colder weather creeps in and teams rely more on the running game.  

I hope people will stop ****ing about what else we could've done at 13 overall.  I know Allen's health and Matt i's development are a key part, but Payne has been a monster addition and the impact is significant.  Our defense went to elite overnight.  Hard to expect better than that at 13 overall.

The only other guy I considered was Derwin James because he’s special and has shown that so far.  But drafting Payne was a great selection and further showed a real commitment to the trenches, where the war is won.

I was a derwin James guy and couldn't believe they let him and that VT Lber pass, but in the draft thread someone was posting reasons why payne was going to be a beast. I'll admit Its easier for me to see greatness at the secondary and lber levels. I changed my mind that night, probably homerism. 

I would stand to say that even those in the redskins scouting department who thought they got a hit with the 20year old DT named Payne from Bama when they drafted him at 13 didn't think they hit it as hard as they did,in a position of need.

He is a serious player,not just a combine size/strength/speed guy. 

Really the only difference in starting personnel on defense is the addition of Payne. In only his 6th game we've gone from a joke defense to the #1 defense. Hes never gonna be a state player, but he dominates every single play.

I was a Payne or bust guy in the draft. Fitzpatrick was my only other choice. I was wrong about James, I'll openly admit that.

Daron Payne is going to be the best defensive lineman in the league. Is he even 21 yet? Lol

People will point out that Payne has been the difference, but ever since Allen went out last year our run D turned to mushy ****. We are getting pressure with 3 man fronts pretty frequently. That is not supposed to happen unless you've got an abundance of talent at the position. They're both equally impressive in my opinion, Allen's instincts and football IQ are off the charts. Payne is an elite blend of size and athleticism, He's seriously way too quick for how big he is. 

Keep building the defense and OL. With our personnel we need to keep what we are doing but further improve the areas we're strong at. I'm not convinced a receiver does much for this team honestly. 

Build OL depth and start building our defense from the middle to the back now. This defense is most likely 1 more stud player away from being special. I think if we replace Mason Foster with a stud rookie ILB we'll see a defense we haven't seen in years. We're almost there. 

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Ioannidis is Matty the Greek

Petersen is All Day.

So how about the All Week Greek, for Matty

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think if we replace Mason Foster with a stud rookie ILB we'll see a defense we haven't seen in years. We're almost there. 

Maybe Hamilton could be that guy.

I would challenge the greatest comedic minds alive in the world today to come up with something as hilariously nonsensical as the notion that Matt Ioannidis is just a solid cog and not a dominant player in his own right. If I ever read those posts while I'm eating I may choke to death. 

On 10/23/2018 at 12:18 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

People will point out that Payne has been the difference, but ever since Allen went out last year our run D turned to mushy ****. We are getting pressure with 3 man fronts pretty frequently. That is not supposed to happen unless you've got an abundance of talent at the position. They're both equally impressive in my opinion, Allen's instincts and football IQ are off the charts. Payne is an elite blend of size and athleticism, He's seriously way too quick for how big he is. 

Keep building the defense and OL. With our personnel we need to keep what we are doing but further improve the areas we're strong at. I'm not convinced a receiver does much for this team honestly. 

Build OL depth and start building our defense from the middle to the back now. This defense is most likely 1 more stud player away from being special. I think if we replace Mason Foster with a stud rookie ILB we'll see a defense we haven't seen in years. We're almost there. 

I agree.  Right now we have two needs on D we could upgrade next season and that is replace Nicholson with a stud Safety prospect and also upgrade at ILB.  Preston Smith doesn’t have a sack this season so OLB could be another option if they don’t envision Anderson being every down guy..

33 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I agree.  Right now we have two needs on D we could upgrade next season and that is replace Nicholson with a stud Safety prospect and also upgrade at ILB.  Preston Smith doesn’t have a sack this season so OLB could be another option if they don’t envision Anderson being every down guy..

Yeah Nicholson definitely had a noticeably bad game. It was frustrating how close Smith got to multiple sacks today, it's been that way all season for him too. Of course Mason Foster had an awesome game today, kind of making me eat my words a bit. It's getting really hard to tell where the truly weak link on the defense is. This is a good thing

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yeah Nicholson definitely had a noticeably bad game. It was frustrating how close Smith got to multiple sacks today, it's been that way all season for him too. Of course Mason Foster had an awesome game today, kind of making me eat my words a bit. It's getting really hard to tell where the truly weak link on the defense is. This is a good thing

Yea can’t complain about our LB play today, just need added depth and youth at the position.  I’d say the weak link would be Nicholson, frustrating he lacks awareness at times.  Also, if Dunbar is out, Stroman is clearly a weak link..

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I would challenge the greatest comedic minds alive in the world today to come up with something as hilariously nonsensical as the notion that Matt Ioannidis is just a solid cog and not a dominant player in his own right. If I ever read those posts while I'm eating I may choke to death. 

He's every bit as good as Allen and Payne. We are super lucky to have all 3 of them, Ioannidis took control of the ship today and looked the best of the 3 imo. Payne also came in later and started coming into form. Allen had a quiet game stats wise, but he was very impactful in the running game and even got a sack. 

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He's every bit as good as Allen and Payne. We are super lucky to have all 3 of them, Ioannidis took control of the ship today and looked the best of the 3 imo. Payne also came in later and started coming into form. Allen had a quiet game stats wise, but he was very impactful in the running game and even got a sack. 

What a steal to get Ioannidis in the 5th round and credit to the coaching staff for helping develop his game.  Hope the same will happen with Tim Settle.

Archived