Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Hard Truths

zoony

26 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is my concern. Snyder happens to have a legacy franchise smack in an area with three states and several extremely wealthy counties. All he needs to do is convince one of those entities to build him his own JerryWorld, and he will be richer than King Faroux.

His objective over the next several year is going to be that payday, not the team on the field.

And once he gets one the money grubbing loons to build him a stadium, guess what we get?  A much improved facility that is only affordable for corporate entities to purchase season tickets at, creating a stadium atmosphere 10x worse that what we experience today.  People who don’t care about the Redskins, simply showing up for the scene or their gifted tickets.

There’s a lot of things that test my love of the sport, but ultimately it’s Dan Snyder who’s ruined my love of football.

15 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm not sure. Seems like the TV contracts are the main thing making money for the team.

I do wonder if the perception of an increasingly apathetic fanbase will alter the timeline on the new stadium at all. Besides winning, a new stadium is the thing that would be a shot in the arm as far as renewed interest.  Cooley had said a decision on the new stadium's location should be announced by year's end.  It is hard to fathom the team staying at FedEx until the lease ends in 2027. 

NFL revenue was around $8 Billion last year. Between 2014 and 2022 CBS, NBC and Fox have committed to spend $39.6B on the NFL, so let's say ~$5B of the $8B came from TV revenue.

The big wild card will be sports gambling. We will soon see the NFL directly make money off of betting. The illegal market is estimated to be over $100B annually, so if they make 2-3% of that what will teams care if stadiums are empty? 

At $250/ticket you have 70,000 seats and 8 games. That's $140M, but there's added revenue from parking, merchandise and food sales. Let's say a team can make an additional $250M a season by selling out. That's fine, but they can sit back, do nothing and just let the shared revenue contracts pay they way more annually. 

I agree with number 2. He is starting to remind me of Westbrook without the drama... disappointing. I'll admit that giving up a good CB for a cheaper QB does hurt, but c'mon man, Cousins wouldn't be doing any better with this team as it is now. He's going to do well in Minny because they have better WR's and a better defense. Smith is doing the same as when Cousins was here with no pocket pressure awareness and overthrowing the long open receiver. And of course, Snyder is still guilty of being dumb with not having a clue of getting a solid football organization. Lurie did it, and in no time had a SB winning team to backup his decisions.

Our defense isn’t that bad right now considering we are still (somehow) ranked number 1 in the league but the issues lie with our lack of speed on the edge and lack of coverage ILBs. Otherwise this is an improved defense. Secondary play has been solid and we actually have young talent along the d-line.

Our offense is a dumpster fire. A complete unmitigated dumpster fire. Our only move is to checkdown to Thompson and pray Reed is open twice a game. Smith cannot throw downfield and we have a sh*t-tier WR core. Our line has a stud in Scherff but is otherwise very inconsistent.

The real blame lies in the awful offensive coaching staff. Gruden, Callahan, Cavanaugh, etc are wasting talent right now.

Gee, Zoony, tell us how you REALLY feel...

2 hours ago, zoony said:

1.  Our best players are all past their prime.  Trent Williams is icing his knees in between plays.  Not sure he can play at a high level anymore for 16 games.  Kerrigan is done.  Adrian Peterson is way past done.  Alex Smith, well, hes Alex Smith.  I love CT but who thinks he can finish the season with Captain Checkdown feeding him 15 passes every game?

I can agree to an extent with this, but I do think AP still has something to give. He's aged but he still has good burst,  but he may be having issues with getting through the d-lines, which could be attributed to the o-line, being we haven't had a good back since 2013.

2.  Josh Doctson will be out of football in 2 years.  Weve seen enough

I totally agree. Josh is a failed experiment. The heart is there, but geez I can make sharper cuts and fakes and I'm 55!  Soon he will be seasoning curly fries at a local restaurant.

3.  "Club Jay" is a real thing  Team got outworked, out coached, and was completely unprepared for Sunday.  The Colts had a transparent gameplan with both tackles out.  Run the ball up the middle, and quick passes and slants.  Absolutely no answer from the Redskins D.  Pathetic.  There is no accountability, no hard work, and no fear among the players.  None.

Another glaring understatement. We all hoped Jay could get it going, but he just doesn't have what it takes to be HC. He has a laundry list of flaws that hurt this team.

4.  Andy Reid, once again, sold the Redskins a used Chrysler.  Congratulations to him.

I thought it was a Studebaker?

5.  Bruce Allens ego sent Cousins to the Vikings.  There is no coming back from that move, not any time soon.  We have no QB plan for the next 7 years.  Snyder will not allow a rebuild, so forget about getting one in the draft, unless we trade 2 number 1s again.

Bruce Allen is a pure cancer to this organization. The pieces we had in place, Cousins, McVay, Fuller, DJax, Garcon, it should have been the Redskins in at least the NFCCG. But Bruce is a great ball handler, just ask Snyder.

6.  Dan Snyder is an incompetent idiot.  Petty, tyrannical, immature, impatient, and most of all, he is dumb.  He will never build a winner.  We have all seen enough

I do give Snyder credit for standing up against the loonies that demanded a name change. All he has to do is let someone else run the damn organization [ besides Bruce the Ball Handler ] and stay outta the way, and things would get so much better.

7.  Team has invested two straight first rounders and two straight second rounders on the defensive front 7 and a RB.  our defensive front 7 sucks, and our running game is awful.

This team had a solid defense until Shanny changed to a 3-4, and since then this defense has never been close to being as good.

Enjoy

I would add 1 other aspect; the scenes behind the scenes. The scouting dept couldn't find a good WR to save their lives. They've whiffed on so many good players over the years. And of course whenever we get a new HC, he always has to hire his family to work for the organization. They are clueless but get paid good money and the benefits are crazy good.

47 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

perception is reality, nobody wants to go to Skins games anymore and that's as a direct result of how Dan has run one of the best franchises into the ground over the last 20 years.

I didn't work there for 9 years but some things are common sense.

I read somewhere that tickets behind the packers bench are more expensive than behind the Redskins bench for the first time since the Steelers debacle a few years back. Is that accurate? I agree with most everything except Kerrigan being 'done'. I always have thought he was pretty much an above average, occasionally impressive player, but has always had some good games, and then completely disappear in other games. I never thought he was someone who could be a real difference maker on his own.

36 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Our defense isn’t that bad right now considering we are still (somehow) ranked number 1 in the league but the issues lie with our lack of speed on the edge and lack of coverage ILBs. Otherwise this is an improved defense. Secondary play has been solid and we actually have young talent along the d-line.

We're only Number 1 in D because we played the hapless Cards and Colts. 

I think it's a little early for this thread. I'd say wait until we are 2-7 or 4-8. The sample size of 25 years is certainly big enough, but as it pertains to this season, I think the complete jumping overboard threads and thoughts are a tad premature. 

Entertaining thread.

I am easily one of the vocal posters on how they royally screwed up the Kirk contract and that it will hurt the organization's future and Kirk's success in Minny will be rubbed into the organization faces (and its already happening after week 2).  I also posted to death about how the Alex Smith trade was a bad one (not because of Alex but because of his age matched to this roster) and I am easily one of Bruce/Dan harshest critics.

With all of that, I still think we might be jumping the gun, there is a lot of season left to play.  I think Alex is a downgrade from Kirk and its been obvious. But I still think he's good albeit nothing special.  But maybe that changes and Alex ends up all that Jay and the FO hypes him to be -- I am trying to keep an open mind on that front.   I think we might have some good times yet this season.

I see this season as one where we got nothing to lose.  If all these moves blow up in the decision makers faces -- Bruce at least should be gone.  Sadly, though Dan will stay but I've accepted that as a reality that can't change.  Nonetheless, maybe there is an upside to Dan being royally embarrassed one more time.   On the other hand, maybe this team will surprise us -- beat GB, and good times coming.   

1 minute ago, zoony said:

The organizational meltdown has begun.  So much for football season

C'mon zoony, this might be nit-picky even for you. I like Jay overall and this is one of the reasons... he has some personality and isn't afraid to be a little humorous or self-deprecating. He generally has a couple of these ha-ha comments during pressers (with the exception of post game losses). 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

am easily one of the vocal posters on how they royally screwed up the Kirk contract and that it will hurt the organization's future and Kirk's success in Minny will be rubbed into the organization faces (

9 minutes ago, mojo said:

Sums it up pretty well.  And bobandweave is correct that Norman needs to be added to out list of over the  hill players.  He was awful last year and getting worked again this year.

This teams culture is crap.

I think awful is pushing it...but it's obvious he isn't elite.  I thought the idea of him wearing an 18 lb vest during TC was stupid...and now he doesn't appear to know how to finish plays.  Part of me wonders if having that dumb vest on didn't allow him to work on finishing plays strong. 

17 minutes ago, kleese said:

C'mon zoony, this might be nit-picky even for you. I like Jay overall and this is one of the reasons... he has some personality and isn't afraid to be a little humorous or self-deprecating. He generally has a couple of these ha-ha comments during pressers (with the exception of post game losses). 

I used to think the same thing but damn, your team just came off a embarrassingly listless effort in losing in front your quickly dwindling ‘home’ crowd and this is the response you give?? ‘I don’t know, I just met them.   Christ, at least fake some semblance of leadership.

1 minute ago, mojo said:

I used to think the same thing but damn, your team just came off a embarrassingly listless effort in losing in front your quickly dwindling ‘home’ crowd and this is the response you give?? ‘I don’t know, I just met them.   Christ, at least fake some semblance of leadership.

I watched it live, he was just making it light. Lots of things to nit-pick after last week, I don't think this is one of them. 

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I'd add Josh Norman to number one. Strange seeing him picked on like they did him this past week. Way past his best days too and costing them so much

If you watch those crossing routes from last week he gets no bump on the line and there's no way he can keep up with TY.

Did you get a chance to focus on Kerrigan last week?  Something is not right with his lower body, don't know if its hips, legs, or feet but he doesn't look right.

4 hours ago, zoony said:

1.  Our best players are all past their prime.  Trent Williams is icing his knees in between plays.  Not sure he can play at a high level anymore for 16 games.  Kerrigan is done.  Adrian Peterson is way past done.  Alex Smith, well, hes Alex Smith.  I love CT but who thinks he can finish the season with Captain Checkdown feeding him 15 passes every game?

2.  Josh Doctson will be out of football in 2 years.  Weve seen enough

3.  "Club Jay" is a real thing  Team got outworked, out coached, and was completely unprepared for Sunday.  The Colts had a transparent gameplan with both tackles out.  Run the ball up the middle, and quick passes and slants.  Absolutely no answer from the Redskins D.  Pathetic.  There is no accountability, no hard work, and no fear among the players.  None.

4.  Andy Reid, once again, sold the Redskins a used Chrysler.  Congratulations to him.

5.  Bruce Allens ego sent Cousins to the Vikings.  There is no coming back from that move, not any time soon.  We have no QB plan for the next 7 years.  Snyder will not allow a rebuild, so forget about getting one in the draft, unless we trade 2 number 1s again.

6.  Dan Snyder is an incompetent idiot.  Petty, tyrannical, immature, impatient, and most of all, he is dumb.  He will never build a winner.  We have all seen enough

7.  Team has invested two straight first rounders and two straight second rounders on the defensive front 7 and a RB.  our defensive front 7 sucks, and our running game is awful.

Enjoy

You had me at #6... you had me at #6.  All explanations for why this franchise is a joke starts and ends with The Midget.

24 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We may need to add a sticky thread to the stadium with a suicide hotline.

Damn, I've never seen it this bad around here even at the tail end of our four win seasons. 

It's odd. Been thinking the same thing this week. 

Archived