zoony

Some Hard Truths

28 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not really disagreeing. It does seem to be that way.

However, we assumed the Colts are a bad team. They might not be. They played Philly tough and almost won there too. Every year there are teams that everyone thinks will be bad but turn out to be really good teams. 

Last year going in - Oakland was going to the SB and Philly was trash. 

I agree.  Maybe that Colts D is better than initially thought.  And a healthy Andrew Luck is a very good QB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

To be fair, getting demolished at home by a mediocre team would upset most fans not from Cleveland. 

A stout performance right before the bye week is a good way to feel good for a while though. 

My biggest concerns are consistency and our offensive performance in the 2nd half.  In week 1, we put up 21 points in the 2nd quarter and managed only 3 points in the second half.  Then the Colts game.....what a cluster ****, 3 first half points and 6 second half points, play calling looked like something out of a pre-season hall of fame game mixed with Jay's horrible calls on 3rd down.  

Then yesterday, 28 first half points, complete ass kicking on a really good team with a top 2-3 QB at the helm.  Only to come out in the 2nd half again and put up only 3 points.  I'm happy with the win, especially against a really good team in the Packers.  I just don't know why we can't score in the second half of games.  I get adjustments being made by opposing defenses, but that should open up other areas for us to exploit.  

It appears right now that if we can't put up a bunch of points in the first half and have a commanding lead, we are going to lose a lot of games or allow teams to stay in it longer than they should.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

September football often has the contenders and pretenders neck and neck.  It isn't until about a month or so into the season you see the actual good teams start to string together wins and separate themselves.

If you look at the NFC East TODAY, there is an argument to be made that the 'Skins look like the best team or at least as good as Philly.  Now of course that is a fool's bet because we over the next 5-6 weeks the 'Skins could very well go into "Win 1, Lose 1" mode where the Eagles could go on a run.  Neither Dallas or the NYG seem all that good still.

The overall point is the season is still way too young to make grand proclamations.   

Absolutely - to me, September is always about harvesting wins any way you can while you figure out what you're going to be that season. September can't win you anything but you can sure as Hell avoid being buried when the calendar turns to October. 

15 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

You know they're not going to give us any respect, and really why should they.

Now if we beat the Saints that will change quickly even though the Saints look like a flawed team as much as we are. 

By time we earn their respect they'll bring up the name again, I really don't care what they think

• Like 2

I always think new players or new coaches have the potential benefit of doing well for the first 6-8 games bc its hard for teams to gameplan against an unknown, then the league has enough film and the league adjusts and then the new player or coach has to adjust to the adjustment. If they can, then I think their success/strengths are legit. If they cant, they probably cant excel in the league. 

You see Kyle/Garrapollo or RG3 or Watson, even Mayfield for that 2nd half etc ..

I didnt think we would be in that group of bringing a new look that will take the league 6-8 weeks to get film and adjust ... but maybe we are. I thought w Alex and Jay, we are a known entity but this offense is different. A good bit different then the film we put out in 2016 and 2017.

Im somewhat worried teams might gameplan better against what we are doing in the mid point of the season or at least we hit a rough few games .. I believe Jay and Alex can adjust to the adjustment. just worried when it comes it could take us a few games.

16 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

You know they're not going to give us any respect, and really why should they.

Now if we beat the Saints that will change quickly even though the Saints look like a flawed team as much as we are. 

Here's hoping the Saints get "GarcOWNED!"

47 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I always think new players or new coaches have the potential benefit of doing well for the first 6-8 games bc its hard for teams to gameplan against an unknown, then the league has enough film and the league adjusts and then the new player or coach has to adjust to the adjustment. If they can, then I think their success/strengths are legit. If they cant, they probably cant excel in the league. 

You see Kyle/Garrapollo or RG3 or Watson, even Mayfield for that 2nd half etc ..

I didnt think we would be in that group of bringing a new look that will take the league 6-8 weeks to get film and adjust ... but maybe we are. I thought w Alex and Jay, we are a known entity but this offense is different. A good bit different then the film we put out in 2016 and 2017.

Im somewhat worried teams might gameplan better against what we are doing in the mid point of the season or at least we hit a rough few games .. I believe Jay and Alex can adjust to the adjustment. just worried when it comes it could take us a few games.

It's always possible...I remember that 2008 season when everyone went from hating Zorn to thinking we lucked into a genius. But then, we ran that fake-pass-draw-play to Portis about 688 times and teams started to understand what we were doing. 6-2 turned into 8-8.

From the RTD

”

That’s been the history of the Redskins,” he said. “I’ve been preaching, trying to change the culture. But it takes all 53 players with the same mindset. Not only the 53, but all of us in this together. Coaches and players have to have the same mindset that we’ve got a championship team.

“We go to practice, there shouldn’t be any (freaking) joking around. Shouldn’t be any more joking around from nobody. We got blew out. Shouldn’t have any more playing or joking around. When it comes to work tomorrow, we need to be all business.”

Swearinger said he wasnÂ’t citing any specific incidents. But heÂ’s got plenty to pick from.

After a Week 1 victory in Arizona, the Redskins offensive line declared the next Friday “business friday,” and wore collared shirts to practice. They then were consistently pummeled by the now 1-4 Indianapolis Colts.

After the Packers win, the next day players were at the facility getting fitted for new mattresses in front of reporters and cameras, as part of a new corporate sponsorship the team was rolling out.

Coming back from the bye, the Friday practice ended with the players on new scooters that Adrian Peterson bought for the team.”

?

Snyder sucks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hard truth:  The Redskins will be a bottom dwelling team, perennially, until Dan Snyder is no longer the owner of the franchise.

Hard truth:  At 36 years old, there’s a very good chance that Dan Snyder outlives me.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We suck worse than the Browns.  Seriously.

Jay needs to go.

When can we be rid of Norman?

Draft O-Line.

The sky is falling, as it does every year about this time.

here's a hard truth.  If the Skins are actually as bad as you people think, then Jay Gruden's keeping them on the edge of playoff contention for three straight years is actually a goddamn miracle and more than any coach since the end of Gibbs 1 could do

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, carex said:

here's a hard truth.  If the Skins are actually as bad as you people think, then Jay Gruden's keeping them on the edge of playoff contention for three straight years is actually a goddamn miracle and more than any coach since the end of Gibbs 1 could do

I’ve been saying that Jay’s offense and Kirk were performing miracles for years.  That’s not to say that he is actually a great head coach.  I like him and his offense, but there are definitely some things to be desired from a head coach standpoint.  That’s also the case with most all of them.  At the end of the day though, the only reason this team hasn’t been a complete embarrassment is due to Jay and Kirk moving the football with regularity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, carex said:

Jay Gruden isn’t a good coach.  He’s not the main problem, but he’s not out here working miracles.

Problem is, if you fire Gruden, then Snyder and Allen and their band of snake oil salesmen will just hire another coach who will perform a similarly below average job.

So for all the people yelling to fire Gruden, I disagree simply because it wonÂ’t change the results that we see every week.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Jay Gruden isn’t a good coach.  He’s not the main problem, but he’s not out here working miracles.

Problem is, if you fire Gruden, then Snyder and Allen and their band of snake oil salesmen will just hire another coach who will perform a similarly below average job.

So for all the people yelling to fire Gruden, I disagree simply because it wonÂ’t change the results that we see every week.

Man, if somehow Jay gets fired and Bruce Allen stays, I promise that would be my final straw.  I don’t think much of Dan, but I can’t imagine he’s dumb enough to allow Bruce to stick around and hire another coach to provide with a meh roster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's a hard truth.  99% of the time, the longer a player stays here, the worse they get.

Richardson and AP were pretty much the only ones making plays last night, and it's because they haven't been here long enough to realize how futile it is.

Meanwhile, Norman regresses, Crowder regresses, Davis regresses, Scherff regresses, Doctson regresses, Zach Brown regresses.....

Losing culture is infectious, and it only takes new guys so long to look around, realize no one else is trying, and decide to coast.

Can't wait to see how long it takes this garbage organization to snuff out the competitive fire in Allen, Payne, and Guice

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 7

Firing Jay is basically shooing a fly away from a turd sandwich

Yah, nobody likes flies.  But it aint gonna taste any better

54 minutes ago, carex said:

Yah sign him up for 10 more years.  Because why the **** not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think every football coach is basically the same. Mike Tomlin and Mike McCarthy each have a Super Bowl ring, faced each other on the biggest stage, have a million wins combined, and I wouldn't hire either to run a Subway franchise.

Neither of them could come in, mold Alex Smith into the QB they're used to while putting up with Allen's Coors benders.

It's a culture that starts at the top, and that can't be fixed.

• Like 4

Swearinger is both 100% correct about what he said and a perfect example of the problems here. 

You're the defensive captain and like to be the leader? You want to change the culture? Don't go ****ing and moaning to the media...use that leadership of yours and CHANGE IT BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!

We need guys like him to shake things up. But the way to do that isn't through the media or in public. I realize Ray Lewis murdered people and I'm not a fan of his...but I have to admit that his defenses respected him and played hard for him. I don't think this is how he'd try to handle a change...he'd pull guys aside and talk for 89 minutes until they had no choice but to listen. Or he'd get them all together and preach. Either way, he wouldn't cry to a reporter to make himself look better or more bothered by mediocrity. 

• Thanks 1