• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zoony

Some Hard Truths

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

He had 55 attempts and still didn't break 300 yards.  How is that even possible?

I'm no mathematician, but if you multiply his 55 attempts by his average of 5.8 YPA, you get a sum that's fewer than 300.

So we are a one half wonder offense two out of three games. That is a bit concerning.   It is excruciating watching Skins games but I understand it great for heart rate variability which strangely enough is good for your heart.  ?

But seriously what the hell Gruden?  He mixes it up at leasts in the first quarter and half of the second and it pays off. Then goes back to the predictable pedestrian handoffs in the 3rd quarter.  Just so wimpy.   Now the 4th quarter I get it.  Not in the 3rd.

Doctson did nothing in this game.  Richardson was good. Crowder showed up more.   Reed and AP were excellent today. 

The Defense?  Fairly solid. I give them a B- .  Lots of missed tackles...... again.  Taking crap angles.  Decent pressure I upfront against Rodgers for the most part, which led to some forced drops, maybe threw off the timing a bit on some of the passes. Lots of drops by their offense though which was a gift.

What I don't understand is that the coaching staff has to know the opponent will be adjusting so I assume either Gruden doesn't adjust or he tries but the skillset of our players on offense is so limited they can't succeed at doing different things?

What other explanation is there?

16 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If we are consistent,  we will come out flat against New Orleans. Today's win is nice but we need to put up a string of games.

False, if we're consistent, we'll come out flat during the bye, and fire on all cylinders against the Saints. 1 week out of 2 is our stuff.

36 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If you're happy with winging it and relying on other teams to fumble, drop, and penalize themselves out of games, then you're probably looking for a thread that isn't called "Hard Truths".

Because NSheke didn't had 3 or 4 flags against him - after replacing oses who got injured (once again) - in the 3rdQ, or some drops, stupid interception, poor tackling on D and ST, or some guys running all alone in the D to give GB some hopes?

You can focus on our opponents' woes, but we had our share of miscues and still won by 14.

You can talk about the stupid call on Matthews. Right after that NSheke got flagged twice in a row. Which negated the flag on Matthews.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

What I don't understand is that the coaching staff has to know the opponent will be adjusting so I assume either Gruden doesn't adjust or he tries but the skillset of our players on offense is so limited they can't succeed at doing different things?

What are you supposed to adjust too in the second half?

- To what the opponent did in the first half?

- To what you think he'll do in the second half?

That's always a great question to answer.

Still hard to adjust to something when you're leading that something by 18...

On 9/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, zoony said:

1.  Our best players are all past their prime.  Trent Williams is icing his knees in between plays.  Not sure he can play at a high level anymore for 16 games.  Kerrigan is done.  Adrian Peterson is way past done.  Alex Smith, well, hes Alex Smith.  I love CT but who thinks he can finish the season with Captain Checkdown feeding him 15 passes every game?

2.  Josh Doctson will be out of football in 2 years.  Weve seen enough

3.  "Club Jay" is a real thing  Team got outworked, out coached, and was completely unprepared for Sunday.  The Colts had a transparent gameplan with both tackles out.  Run the ball up the middle, and quick passes and slants.  Absolutely no answer from the Redskins D.  Pathetic.  There is no accountability, no hard work, and no fear among the players.  None.

4.  Andy Reid, once again, sold the Redskins a used Chrysler.  Congratulations to him.

5.  Bruce Allens ego sent Cousins to the Vikings.  There is no coming back from that move, not any time soon.  We have no QB plan for the next 7 years.  Snyder will not allow a rebuild, so forget about getting one in the draft, unless we trade 2 number 1s again.

6.  Dan Snyder is an incompetent idiot.  Petty, tyrannical, immature, impatient, and most of all, he is dumb.  He will never build a winner.  We have all seen enough

7.  Team has invested two straight first rounders and two straight second rounders on the defensive front 7 and a RB.  our defensive front 7 sucks, and our running game is awful.

Enjoy

nah bro, after this win, super bowl.

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

that he tries to adjust bu the other team figures out wht sort of adjustments he'll make. 

The real hard truth is: there is no consistency in the NFL. Its a week to week league and nothing that happens one week means anything the next week. The Jags destroy the Pats, then lose at home to the Titans. The Vikings got blown out by what many considered to be the worst team in the league in the Bills, at home. The Browns are two missed FGs from being 3-0. The Steelers are last in the AFC North. The Dolphins are first in the AFC East.

We could go 6-10. We could go 10-6. Gonna be one of those seasons.

We need to put Harris in for Josh Doctson next game for at least the first half to see if he can deliver some catches.  Doctson cannot run by defenders and create space for Alex to throw to him on a consistent basis every game.   Kirk gave up on him last year and Alex did try to get Doctson on a few pass plays but soon Alex will give up looking his way too.

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm no mathematician, but if you multiply his 55 attempts by his average of 5.8 YPA, you get a sum that's fewer than 300.

I wasn't saying I didn't know how the math adds up.  I was more making a statement of how ineffective the passes themselves were if he had that many attempts but it didn't get him over 300 on the day.

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Apparently I am pretty terrible at math too, then.

Media making excuses for Green Bay, I'm sorry, our receivers were getting rained on, too, and we weren't dropping passes that cost us the game.

September football often has the contenders and pretenders neck and neck.  It isn't until about a month or so into the season you see the actual good teams start to string together wins and separate themselves.

If you look at the NFC East TODAY, there is an argument to be made that the 'Skins look like the best team or at least as good as Philly.  Now of course that is a fool's bet because we over the next 5-6 weeks the 'Skins could very well go into "Win 1, Lose 1" mode where the Eagles could go on a run.  Neither Dallas or the NYG seem all that good still.

The overall point is the season is still way too young to make grand proclamations.   

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Media making excuses for Green Bay, I'm sorry, our receivers were getting rained on, too, and we weren't dropping passes that cost us the game.

You know they're not going to give us any respect, and really why should they.

Now if we beat the Saints that will change quickly even though the Saints look like a flawed team as much as we are. 

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

You know they're not going to give us any respect, and really why should they.

Now if we beat the Saints that will change quickly even though the Saints look like a flawed team as much as we are. 

If the first three games taught us anything, it's that the Saints can be scored on. They've given up 103 points in 3 games, by far the worst in the league. 

They will be tough to beat because Brees is an animal and that offense is nuts, but they can be beat. 

Way to early, but the early season is just weird.

They are clearly some teams that early on, aren't the same.  New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay even with a hobbled Rodgers, Minnesota, etc..

Others teams are doing better than expected like Tampa Bay, Miami, etc..

If there ever is a year for the Redskins to return to the playoffs, this year could be it.  I don't expect it but if the early trends of this season continue; there should be an opening for the Skins.  Assuming, we actually win games.  If Gruden can't navigate, what could end up being a more favorable NFC; he better be gone.

This week we are in 5th place and I don't think Tampa's game tonight will change that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Hard truth is fans cannot enjoy football - but not only that they cannot stand that anyone else can ?

10 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Hmm.   55 * 5.8 = 319. Not sure this matters in the grand scheme of things. Here is the math problem - he had 5.4 yds/att - so 55 * 5.4 = 297. 

Not addressed to you: Not sure how Kirk's performance in MN is a hard truth for the Redskins. He had a bad day. Looks like their entire team did. It happens. There will be times when they have a great day and we play like ass - like last week. 

Anyway, to get back on topic - I have been one of Doctson's biggest supporters but he is really just getting it done so far. I tend to be more patient than some but it's wearing thin. 

D looks good though. Had to get that in there. 

image.gif.572d143484a707a45acd47054d783096.gif

I love it.  After week 2 the sky is falling. After week 3 the Skins are contenders again, baby!

23 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I love it.  After week 2 the sky is falling. After week 3 the Skins are contenders again, baby!

To be fair, getting demolished at home by a mediocre team would upset most fans not from Cleveland. 

A stout performance right before the bye week is a good way to feel good for a while though. 

12 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

To be fair, getting demolished at home by a mediocre team would upset most fans not from Cleveland. 

A stout performance right before the bye week is a good way to feel good for a while though. 

It’s the Skins MO.  Come out completely flat and lose to a team you should beat at home and then completely dominate a team you should lose to ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

It’s the Skins MO.  Come out completely flat and lose to a team you should beat at home and then completely dominate a team you should lose to ?‍♂️

Not really disagreeing. It does seem to be that way.

However, we assumed the Colts are a bad team. They might not be. They played Philly tough and almost won there too. Every year there are teams that everyone thinks will be bad but turn out to be really good teams. 

Last year going in - Oakland was going to the SB and Philly was trash.