Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

I never found getting out of Fedex to be trouble but I’d usually stay a little while after the game and hang out.  I had a harder time getting out of Jiffy Lube Live the other week after a concert.

They need to make season tickets affordable for people other than wealthy individuals and businesses.  The Redskins were the working man’s team until the 2000’s and then it became a team of aging fans and corporate write offs.

A new stadium should allow the families to get in on the action.  Or if they want to skew younger then they’ll need to adjust prices.

I don’t really see this happening with a new stadium.  I see less seats, much nicer facilities but a jump in prices.

Hey, at least they put "Home of the Redskins" with two spears on top of either side of the stadium!

Otherwise, been lipstick on a pig so far.  I got to the club level early today and they had ESPNU on showing college football highlights until 1220 pm, when they switched over to the in-house feed which mainly consisted on showing the "Countdown to Kickoff" clock. Ya think we might want to watch some of the pregame shows on Fox, ESPN, or NFLN? Little stuff like that which they can't seem to get right.

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

They need to make season tickets affordable for people other than wealthy individuals and businesses.  The Redskins were the working man’s team until the 2000’s and then it became a team of aging fans and corporate write offs.

I don’t disagree, but isn’t that kinda like all sports now? 

I remember when I could go to a Nats game for $10.  Can’t do that anymore either...

Edit: baseball is still more affordable, but there are 82 home games.  So much more supply in general...

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t disagree, but isn’t that kinda like all sports now? 

I remember when I could go to a Nats game for $10.  Can’t do that anymore either...

Edit: baseball is still more affordable, but there are 82 home games.  So much more supply in general...

I think that we can expect the same type of atmosphere if we simply just get a shiny new stadium and have the same average team.

Of course, winning cures all that ails.

If you're picky about where you sit of course prices are going to be expensive. Nats tickets dipped as low as 6 dollars this season for the 400 seats. Go on a budget. 

Redskins tickets are not expensive. Although I think part of that is the wariness of how the team would play. They dipped to 44 yesterday before fees. Always buy your tickets day of when people frantically try to get rid of them. They'll let the once-125 dollar prices dip as low as 44 dollars. That's when you buy in. 

As for attendance; if it wasn't raining yesterday you bet your butt I'd be there in the cheap seats cheering this team on. Yeah, the numbers didn't look that good yesterday, but it was also raining. Curious how better the attendance is on a sunny September day. The most likely reasoning for low attendance is as theorized in the ticket thread, it's largely Dan Snyder cracking down on the third party tickets; you can notice a dearth of tickets available on Stubhub and Seatgeek whereas Ticketmaster has hundreds and hundreds of tickets available. Coincidence? 

14 hours ago, Destino said:

I agree, but I think you also have to prioritize a dome with very easy access to public transportation access.  The older people get the more appealing their couch and big screen become.  If the redskins want a younger crowd in this area that means luring an younger urban crowd.  

Easy. Comfortable. Positive. Fun.  The sort of mindset which used to be the norm for children, but now for adults.  

RFK site is much closer to stadium armory metro then FedEX is to Morgan blvd or Largo station.  A 60k stadium would be perfect there, I really don't want 100k people in that part of the city like that, its not made for that.

It's tough because they could put something like a shopping center underneath the stadium at that site, but it's so dominantly residential that I may be a level of congestion the people that live there won't like

38 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Do young people even go to sporting events in 2018?

Don't know if at 28 I count as a "young person" anymore, but I typically go to multiple baseball games a year. If I could afford it, I would go to multiple hockey games a year too, but the Caps are a premium product these days and carry the cost to match. I try and go to DC United once a season. I went twice last year to see RFK Stadium off during the last two home games.

I haven't been to a Skins game since the 52-17 win over the 49ers in 2005.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Yes. 

I saw this argument on another forum, that millennial "didn't attend games anymore because of work" and I was like yo I'm a millenial and I'm at nearly every Caps game, have season tickets to the Nats and try to make it to Redskins games barring weather. So yeah, the notion that young people don't attend games is stupid. 

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think this is an overstated notion. Some might not, but plenty of Boomers don't either for the exact same reasons (convenience, safety, cost).

Capitals for example, have no issues attracting adults under 40 (aka Millennials, because we have to always remind people the oldest were born around 1980)

On 9/24/2018 at 1:27 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I’m 26 went to 5 Caps games last year, 1 Nats game and the redskins raiders game last year. I’m going to several more hockey games and just got tickets to the Panthers game. 

I have some actual numbers from the Packers game. 

Against the Colts there were 3 Colts fans in my entire section. There were WAY more Packers fans. In the row in front of me there were 4. 1 seat was empty. The other 10 were Redskins fans. From actually being in the stadium with rest of the 59k, I'd believe the 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio applies to the rest of the stadium. The sound pressure readings back it up even with an audible "Go Pack Go!" chant at times. Readings from my sound pressure meter on big downs: 

Redskins ball 7:13 remaining in the 2nd - 92
Packers ball 3:10 remaining in the 2nd - 102.9
Redskins ball 6:30 remaining in the 3rd - 89.2
Packers ball 2:42 remaining in the 3rd (4th & 2) 99.8

We were consistently louder than them and peaking a solid 10db higher. The best I've ever seen are like 110. We're clearly lower than capacity. 89 isn't much louder than the stadium's white noise though. That's a massive improvement over years past. In years past, those extra 23k seats would have been filled... with Packers fans. Instead of 2:1 it would have been 4:4.3, the noise would have been pretty even, and it would have sucked to be a season ticket holder, even though we won. I'm telling you, it feels like crap sitting a sea of opposing team fans at home.

This and the Colts game were fun. People buy season tickets because they enjoy the day. When the other teams fans outnumber you at home, it's NOT FUN. If what's going on in the stadium regarding the opposing team's fans is honestly because of what the ticket office is doing, they're making a GREAT first effort. No matter what you're doing, who you're doing it with is more important than the actual activity. I like being around my family and friends. Win or lose, if I can have an enjoyable time among my family and Redskins fans, I'm going to return. I'm going to keep buying season tickets. If you attend a game and have an enjoyable experience as a guest, I'm ready to wager you'll be more inclined to become a member yourself. That all begins with filling the stadium with the right fans... Redskins fans.

4 hours ago, turtle2328 said:

This and the Colts game were fun. People buy season tickets because they enjoy the day. When the other teams fans outnumber you at home, it's NOT FUN. If what's going on in the stadium regarding the opposing team's fans is honestly because of what the ticket office is doing, they're making a GREAT first effort. No matter what you're doing, who you're doing it with is more important than the actual activity. I like being around my family and friends. Win or lose, if I can have an enjoyable time among my family and Redskins fans, I'm going to return. I'm going to keep buying season tickets. If you attend a game and have an enjoyable experience as a guest, I'm ready to wager you'll be more inclined to become a member yourself. That all begins with filling the stadium with the right fans... Redskins fans.

A crowd made up of predominantly fans fervently cheering for the home team is optimal.  Probably the best example of this was for the first playoff game ever held at the place against the Lions.  On the other hand, I was at an early season game at MetLife Stadium early in the 2016 season. While I was a Skins fan in an 80K sea of blue, I was less than impressed by the energy level shown by the Giants fans in what was a back-and-forth game.

You are still feeling that good energy level by being in the lower bowl. From what I see, the lower level of FedEx is still pretty full, with the exception of the upper portions of the end zone sections. The problem is when you get to the club and upper levels. There are notable vacancies to the point where it isn't an exaggeration to say that the club bowl is half full, and the upper deck isn't much better.  If that is the way its going to be in Landover going forward, we can't get to a new, smaller stadium fast enough.  

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I went to the Vikings game last season. It was unbelievable how many of them were there.  I concur that it’s not enjoyable when it’s like that. 

Yep. That moment the realization really hits home is when that first big loud cheer rings out early in the 1st.  Ewwwww.  THE worst, is when they are much louder or more passionate than we are. Long time caps fans remember battling opposition fans, and still do to this day cough ****sburgh.  The horn guy will try to drown them out.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, RandyHolt said:

Yep. That moment the realization really hits home is when that first big loud cheer rings out early in the 1st.  Ewwwww.  THE worst, is when they are much louder or more passionate than we are. Long time caps fans remember battling opposition fans, and still do to this day cough ****sburgh.  The horn guy will try to drown them out.

Was it a Vikings/Cowboys game where a Cowboy WR caught a TD pass but the cannon operator fired it prematurely and caused the WR to drop the ball?

I lmao at that, it was funny. Thank got that dumb Vikings horn sound doesn't travel on the road, that is the most annoying thing I've ever heard.

Was watching the Steelers/Ravens game on TV last night and they mentioned that in Pittsburgh at some point during the game they play Styx's "Renegade" to get the crowd fired up.

We don't have anything like that. Closest thing we probably had was the Funky 4, which was corny but at least somewhat unique, and the organization even ruined that by turning it into a stupid FedEx commercial. 

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Was watching the Steelers/Ravens game on TV last night and they mentioned that in Pittsburgh at some point during the game they play Styx's "Renegade" to get the crowd fired up.

We don't have anything like that. Closest thing we probably had was the Funky 4, which was corny but at least somewhat unique, and the organization even ruined that by turning it into a stupid FedEx commercial. 

A Styx song fired the crowd up??

The Apocalypse is nigh.....

Archived