Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Packers Prediction Thread: Slippin' Away

skins island connection

Who Wins ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Simple, no points, just head-to-head, who wins the game.

• Washington Redskins
    • Green Bay Packers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2018 at 06:34 AM

When: Sunday September 23rd 1:00 p.m.  [noon central]

Where: Fed Ex field

This sunday the Redskins welcome in the Green Bay Packers.

As I rode into work this morning, I popped in an old cd I had made, set it on random, and wouldn't you know it, the song that came up, which pretty much summed up my views of the 2018 Redskins, was a tune by Dave Edmunds called Slippin' Away.  Pretty cool tune from back when real music was being made.

The Packers, led by some guy named Aaron Rodgers, had a dogfight of a game against the Vikings, which ended up in a tie, thanks to a pitiful showing of the Vikings kicker, who is now seasoning curly fries at Taco Bell.

Still, Rodgers managed to pass for 281 yds against a stout defense, and injured on top of that.  Redskin fans are well aware of what he is capable of in a game, especially if the Packers are down a score with 2 minutes left. Still the Packers defense gave up over 400 yds to a familiar face [ which I will not mention for obvious reasons ] but played scrappy and aggressive.

The Redskins on the other hand, played like they had a short week, against Andrew Luck and the Colts. The only Redskin player who seemed like he wanted to win was DJ Swearinger, who collected 2 picks, but overall the offense was flat, uncoordinated and seemed like they had nothing to play for. There were flashes on both sides, but flashes only last for a second. The defense tried its best but couldn't generate enough pressure on Luck, even with 2 back-ups on the Colts o-line, and eventually Luck figured out how to get the ball downfield and score TDs while the Redskins were forced  to settle with FGs.  This was not the way anyone expected the Redskins home opener to turn out.

Of course the song brings me back to asking questions;

1. If the Packers come in and win, it will mean the Redskins will have their bye week to sit back and ponder where it went wrong, and what will that do psychologically.

2. Yes it is only the 3rd game of the season, but if they come out and GB throws up 21 pts early, what will that do to them?

3. Will Gruden wait until the 3rd qtr is almost over before he begins to make adjustments?  { not trying to be humorous, this was his own words }.

4. Will Crowder get upset when he sees all of the GB fans in the stands? They are one of the best travelling fan bases in the league.

5. If the Redskins lose, will any coaches or management seats begin to warm up?

Look for this game to be competitive, at least in the first half. With players saying they felt flat last week, I think they will come out more inspired and aggressive.

The downside to this is, Rodgers lives for these types of moments. The Redskins will have to be firing on all cylinders but they will have to be aware of over-pursuing and giving Rodgers that crease he needs. Offensively, Gruden will have to call a near-perfect game, mixing pkgs, attacking weaknesses and getting some mis-direction plays to keep them from falling behind in play calling.

When the final whistle blows and the cheese heads turn into provolone,

the Redskins just can't keep up, UNLESS!

Redskins 16

Packers 31

First correct score prediction wins a new Redskins indoor/outdoor flag !

Good luck and        GO    SKINS !

I predicted a win here in preseason because the honest truth is that the Packers 2-53 on their roster isn’t all that impressive. It’s the 1 that is the problem and will be the difference Sunday.

Any chance of winning is related to our ability to score and keep up with their scoring. Right now, I don’t believe in this offense to score the 30+ points it is going to take to win most likely. Our defense is decent but it’s not good enough to shut GB down. 

It’ll be close through halftime but they put us away in the 3rd and the offense continues to be sketchy. GB has an underrated front 7. 

Packers 30

Skins 20 (one TD comes off of an INT that gives good field position) 

I have no read on this game.  If the week 1 team shows up, they could win it 27-24.

Don’t forget the Bears had this team dead to rights, and Minny hung 29 on them, you CAN score on them.

If the week 2 skins show up, they lose 42-10. 

Typically Grudens Skins go good-bad-good-bad so I’ll go out on a limb and say 27-24 Skins.  Which guarantees a loss to New Orleans after the bye...

EDIT: 27-24 was taken twice.  I’ll to 28-24 then...

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

23-21 skins, see a lot of FGs still, and don't see us stopping Rodgers from getting his 21. Hopkins wins it for us

@skins island connection no poll, bro? : (  A simple win - yes or no would suffice, please. 

This is where I'm at... I am already spotting Aaron Rodgers two and a half touchdowns.. I see Gruden pulling his head out of his ass and coming up with a decent game plan..

I think it is a little too early to put up this thread.

Too many here are still to overly emotional about yesterday's results, and will proceed to put up ridiculously lopsided scoring outcomes.

I personally am much more confident about this game that I was about the Colts game. They always have a problem showing up for those games (which might end up being Gruden's downfall).

They usually do very well in these kind of games where they are the clear underdog. 

We'll see this Sunday.

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

This is where I'm at... I am already spotting Aaron Rodgers two and a half touchdowns.. I see Gruden pulling his head out of his ass and coming up with a decent game plan..

Rodgers is one if those QBs that you need more then 21 to beat.  Brady is like that, Wentz is going to become that, i think Brees might still be like that (used to be if you went into the super dome even 21 wasn't enough)

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Rodgers is one if those QBs that you need more then 21 to beat.  Brady is like that, Wentz is going to become that, i think Brees might still be like that (used to be if you went into the super dome even 21 wasn't enough)

For sure, even up by 17,20 points against those QBs ya gotta slow ur roll writing a win in with time on the clock

8 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think it is a little too early to put up this thread.

Too many here are still to overly emotional about yesterday's results, and will proceed to put up ridiculously lopsided scoring outcomes.

NEVER! I leave all my emotions in the game day thread. :)

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

For sure, even up by 17,20 points against those QBs ya gotta slow ur roll writing a win in with time on the clock

And to be clear, Alex Smith does NOT fall into that category.  Defense is going to have to keep this from getting out if hand.  A lot of people mad at defense, but they kept they game from being a blowout, you should be able to score more then 21 at him if you are a playoff team.  You should be able to beat a playoff team if you are a playoff team

What's difficult about this is that I honestly don't think the Packers are all that great a team this season, but they have one of the 3-4 QB's in the NFL that automatically makes you a great team regardless.

My fear is this game plays out the way the playoff game does. Skins go up early, Pack roar back, Skins get a counter punch in, Aaron Rodgers seen laughing about it....goes on to light up the scoreboard in the 4th.

If anything we should see an angry & motivated team out there on Sunday.  What does that count for? Who knows.

Unfortunately this is a Prove It game for a team that rarely has ever proven it under Jay Gruden.  Until they do, I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Packers 31

Redskins 20

I watched two screens Sunday.  The Skins game was on the big screen and the Vikings and Packers was on the small screen.  Both the Vikings and the Packers are a lot better than the week 2 Skins.  

If the week 1 Skins show up and can run against the Packers it will be a game because I don’t think Smith is going to hang 425 yards and 4TDs on the Pack like Kirk did and got a tie.  Alex doesn’t have Diggs and Thielen so I see him dinking and dunking between the 20’s to little effect,  Aaron Rogers worked the vaunted Vikings defense and I think he is going to tramp stamp the Skins defense.  Sadly I think this going to be lopsided.  I say 34-16 Packers

Archived