Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Colts Prediction Thread: Will the Redskins "Luck" Out?

skins island connection

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

The Colts Defense wasn't that bad last week. I wouldn't call it awful. DVOA they are ranked 20th against the pass and 24th against the rush. We are ranked 6th against the pass and 32nd against the rush. Now the sample size for this is only one week but I don't think we have a huge advantage over them Defensively. Stats wise both teams last week only had two sacks and 1 INT. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

20th and 24th is bad, let's not sugar coat it. Also how the hell are we 32 against the rush? Because of a few 4th quarter longer runs while we were up 3 scores? Yeah, not buying that.

Add to that, the Colts have nobody at RB, the Cards have one of the best. Really not buying that. I don't think the Colts will have any success running the ball, and it will be the Andrew Luck Show. And I'm good with that. He holds the ball too long, and he makes mistakes.

And I think the game will require us to throw up a 30 burger to win anyway. The current line I saw on the game has a combined 48 points scored

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl-odds-week-2

With the Skins favored by 5.5 points. Which means we know that Vegas is saying the score should be 29.5 Redskins to 18.5 Colts. After watching both games I don't think that we can hold the Colts to only 18.5 points and I think we can get to 30 ourselves. Which is why I think the over looks like a good pick this week. Who wins idk I think if it's not a shootout then that favors the Colts

I don't think the Colts can score 18.5 points on us. They are going to be one dimensional, and outside of Hilton, Luck doesn't have a lot to work with.

Don’t sleep on the Colts! Don’t sleep on the Colts! This is more about us than it is them. We need to be methodical in dismantling them. Assume nothing. Go out and earn it. They were leading the bengals for 3 quarters. Hoping Having Alex makes a huge difference in these games we are “supposed” to win. HTTR! Bring home the W!!

40 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

20th and 24th is bad, let's not sugar coat it. Also how the hell are we 32 against the rush? Because of a few 4th quarter longer runs while we were up 3 scores? Yeah, not buying that.

Just repeating what I use for analysis of stats.

I agree they aren't really worst in the league against the rush I don't think we know what they are yet. Truth is that David Johnson rushed only 9 times last week. Only three of those rushes came in the second half. The Redskins defensive plan last week was to keep DJ in front of them and force Bradford to beat them with his arm the whole game yet DJ had a couple of nice rushes, one went for 11 yards, one went for 10 yards, another went for 8 yards. And he scored on a two yard rush on us. For only a very small sample size he wasn't completely shut down. And with such a small sample size we don't know how they can perform against a teams back when they aren't focused on him like that. 

Add to that, the Colts have nobody at RB, the Cards have one of the best.

Which is why this will be a different defensive game plan then what we just saw. This time they won't sell out to stop the rusher they will be attacking the passing game. The rushing defense is going to get tested big this week. I expect more QB hurries and sacks this game then last week even before hearing about the offensive line issues. They will generate more pressure because the Defense won't be waiting to rush and will get after Luck.

I also will not be surprised that they allow a decent game to the opposing RB or in the Colts case RBs have a decent game because the emphasis will be stopping Andrew Luck. Luck will run on them as well. Sam isn't known as a good rushing QB but even he had an 8 yard rush for a first down last week. Luck is known as a rushing QB so that will make a big diff. 

Really not buying that. I don't think the Colts will have any success running the ball, and it will be the Andrew Luck Show. And I'm good with that. He holds the ball too long, and he makes mistakes.

I think he is the best playmaker on that team and can make those nobodies somebody's. Luck even made Ryan Grant something last week.

The key to the Colts passing game this week I am thinking will come in the form of the TE reception. The Skins for years can't really stop opposing teams TE's so since I know that I'm sure that the Colt know that as well. And who does the Colts have at TE? 

Jack Doyle 

Eric Ebron

Those guys I think will have a good game against us. Last week Luck hit those guys 11 times for 111 yards on 15 targets. Because we are so weak against this position I think the key to this game is stopping those two players and making Ryan Grant and TY Hilton beat us. If we shut down the TE's then we win the game. If they don't we lose. 

I don't think the Colts can score 18.5 points on us. They are going to be one dimensional, and outside of Hilton, Luck doesn't have a lot to work with.

I will gladly be eating crow saying this if I'm wrong but I will be absolutely shocked if the Colts don't score at least 21 points this week. Absolutely shocked. I see them getting between 21-40 points this week. 

I hate when the term "trap game" is used for our team, you have to establish yourself as a consistently good team before any game can be considered a "trap game", we haven't earned that yet just as Jay said when he was asked during a presser a few days ago.

How the hell can a 7-9 football team be in a trap game?

28 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Just repeating what I use for analysis of stats.

I agree they aren't really worst in the league against the rush I don't think we know what they are yet. Truth is that David Johnson rushed only 9 times last week. Only three of those rushes came in the second half. The Redskins defensive plan last week was to keep DJ in front of them and force Bradford to beat them with his arm the whole game yet DJ had a couple of nice rushes, one went for 11 yards, one went for 10 yards, another went for 8 yards. And he scored on a two yard rush on us. For only a very small sample size he wasn't completely shut down. And with such a small sample size we don't know how they can perform against a teams back when they aren't focused on him like that. 

2 of those runs were on their first drive. After that, Johnson was kept in check. I'll add that not only do the CArds have a much better RB, they have a better OL as well. I don't see the Colts being able to run at all on the Redskins.

Which is why this will be a different defensive game plan then what we just saw. This time they won't sell out to stop the rusher they will be attacking the passing game. The rushing defense is going to get tested big this week. I expect more QB hurries and sacks this game then last week even before hearing about the offensive line issues. They will generate more pressure because the Defense won't be waiting to rush and will get after Luck.

Which is fine, you can stop the run via penetration as well. As I said, I'm really not worried about the run here. I'm not even all that worried about Luck.

I also will not be surprised that they allow a decent game to the opposing RB or in the Colts case RBs have a decent game because the emphasis will be stopping Andrew Luck. Luck will run on them as well. Sam isn't known as a good rushing QB but even he had an 8 yard rush for a first down last week. Luck is known as a rushing QB so that will make a big diff. 

He's more mobile than Bradford, for sure, and we might even spy him.

I think he is the best playmaker on that team and can make those nobodies somebody's. Luck even made Ryan Grant something last week.

So did Cousins. And a lot of people here think Cousins is horrible.

The key to the Colts passing game this week I am thinking will come in the form of the TE reception. The Skins for years can't really stop opposing teams TE's so since I know that I'm sure that the Colt know that as well. And who does the Colts have at TE? 

Jack Doyle 

Eric Ebron

Those guys I think will have a good game against us. Last week Luck hit those guys 11 times for 111 yards on 15 targets. Because we are so weak against this position I think the key to this game is stopping those two players and making Ryan Grant and TY Hilton beat us. If we shut down the TE's then we win the game. If they don't we lose. 

I don't think we're that weak there anymore. In fact I think we have a real answer for the TE. Josh Harvey-Clemons. TE's had 3 reception on 6 targets for 19 yards. He's a 'tweener like a TE is.

I will gladly be eating crow saying this if I'm wrong but I will be absolutely shocked if the Colts don't score at least 21 points this week. Absolutely shocked. I see them getting between 21-40 points this week. 

I'm not sure how. I think the Cards have a better offense and they got 6.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Also how the hell are we 32 against the rush?

Wow. WTH? We gave up 68 yards rushing last week, 4th fewest. Avg was 4.5 which put us at 20th on per avg.

How does 68 rushing yards = worst run defense? I dont see how you can use "adjustments" and "variances" or any other mathematical term to change 4th best to 32nd worst.

46 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I hate when the term "trap game" is used for our team, you have to establish yourself as a consistently good team before any game can be considered a "trap game", we haven't earned that yet just as Jay said when he was asked during a presser a few days ago.

How the hell can a 7-9 football team be in a trap game?

You play a very strong first game and you go up against a banged up oline. So it feels like a very winnable game. I dont think a lot of fans are worried. They feel confident. But does games can be tricky. Can't go into it with that mindset. Need to be 100% focused and prepared in the NFL. Jay knows that. 

40 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@JSSkinz probably because it’s these very games that make the difference between 7-9 and 10-6. Games you should win but don’t. For us, these games have been a “snake pit.” Prefer that phrase? Lol. I think you can be an average team and still have trap games..it’s all relative I guess..

+1 for this ;)

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait. We’re 32nd Against the rush? How in the actual living **** is that possible if we gave up just 68 yards? That can’t be right at all...

Analytics, not stats.  Come on man

Im not sure what goes into it but i would imagine YPC was not good for us last sunday

On another note

Apparently the Oline all wore shirt and ties for practice today

Anyone else not like seeing that ice on 71s knee?

Anyone notice Nsekhe finished out the last series sunday?

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

This feels like one of does typical trap games that kill our good spirit. 

More I look at this game the more I think your right. This is the type of game where the script falls into the opposing teams hands. Redskins coming off a big win, Colts in a must win hole. Colts primary receivers will be the TE, the Redskins were 6th worst at stopping the opposing TE. Ugh want to shake this stupid worry that this is going to be one of those games that defines the season. 

2 of those runs were on their first drive. After that, Johnson was kept in check. I'll add that not only do the CArds have a much better RB, they have a better OL as well. I don't see the Colts being able to run at all on the Redskins.

I think they will be able to run on them because what they played last week won't be the same as they play this week. This comes down to what defensive style are they gonna play this week. Last week we know what the plan was. The primary job they had was to keep David Johnson in front of them. So they weren't aggressively attacking the QB, when they blitzed they only sent four guys. By making the priority the RB they neutralized the RB but opened the game for the opposing QB to be able to make plays. Bradford wasn't making any plays so it worked.

Thing is I think that Luck is 10x the QB Bradford is and he would carve them up if they try the same thing. Which makes me think they will play the opposite and ignore the RBs keying instead on the receivers. If they do that it should be easy for them to run on us. Hopefully that means Luck has a hard time passing on the defense. 

As I said, I'm really not worried about the run here. I'm not even all that worried about Luck.

You've decided to share that opinion here multiple times today. I heard you the first time and while I hope your right, I don't think you are. That seems to be a thread between the two of us, we don't see much of anything eye to eye. However please believe I hope your right. I hope that the Colts are ass and we spank them by 40 points. I hope they can't run the ball on us, and that Andrew Luck takes 12 sacks and throws 5 picks. I hope that happens. I highly highly doubt that happens. But I hope you are right. At least I'm hoping your right about this. I see a dog fight in store for us. 

23 minutes ago, zoony said:

Anyone else not like seeing that ice on 71s knee?

Anyone notice Nsekhe finished out the last series sunday?

Trents knees are a huge issue for him. I definitely don't like seeing it but this is expected. The coaches are trying to keep Trent healthy so they sat him to end last game. Trent is in constant pain with his knees now. The way they are managing it is keeping him out of the preseason, and apparently giving him series off when the games decided. These are things I've seen on twitter and on the various podcasts I listen to. The coaches are using a pitch count for Trent. They want to keep him playing this year. My personal feeling is he should be allowed to medicate his pain the way he wants to but that is not Pc with everyone. To me the man should be allowed to smoke all day and night as long as he keeps playing like the warrior he is. But that's just me

4 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Must be going off of Football Outsiders, which does have us at 32, but that has to be an overlooked mistake. They usually have it about right. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

In this first week, no way is that right, lol.

They grade on a play-by-play basis and rank it against league average based on that same situation, so I can see why we’d be 32nd given the handful of 10+ yard runs we allowed on early downs. But any stats after 1 week need to be taken with a grain of salt. The sample size is ridiculously small. 

Archived