Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Redskins Have Built A Less Glitzy Roster

samy316

46 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I would be amazed if we ever won a play off game with him in charge.

You must not remember 2005 :P (well, January of 06, but it was 05 season). 

Weve actually came close in almost all our playoff games under Snyder :) should have won at least one of the games against the Seahawks. And in the playoff game against the packers, we were up by 1 in the 3rd quarter. 

5 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

I used to have a Cousins jersey, but it tended to unravel during high pressure situations.

Me too, but upon "opening" the package, it suddenly got "lost".

(Considering all 3 opening games, he lost)

I hate explaining jokes, but without an explanation, noone would have gotten that one.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You must not remember 2005 :P (well, January of 06, but it was 05 season). 

Weve actually came close in almost all our playoff games under Snyder :) should have won at least one of the games against the Seahawks. And in the playoff game against the packers, we were up by 1 in the 3rd quarter. 

God bless you dude 

youre a great fan 

3 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

With the increased focus on the draft in recent years the idea is the glitz is yet to be determined. In years past we have brought in overpriced fancy players AFTER their breakout seasons. We could very well have some year 2 and year 3 players that ball out this year. In fact we need it! We seem to have a collection of average to pretty good players. We need a few impact players to emerge.

Trent Williams is a great example of a core skin that we drafted, developed, and will probably retire a Redskin. Apparently a GREAT LT isn't a very glamorous jersey to have, but perhaps his should be my next jersey. He's already proven anything that needs proving.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Trent Williams is a great example of a core skin that we drafted, developed, and will probably retire a Redskin. Apparently a GREAT LT isn't a very glamorous jersey to have, but perhaps his should be my next jersey. He's already proven anything that needs proving.

I would agree..but outside of Trent who on the team is arguably the best at their position in the league or top 5? A healthy Jordan Reed? Maybe Ryan Kerrigan? A few more players need to develop..the good thing is we have the opportunity due to recent roster construction... hopefully Jonanthan Allen... Monte...Guice... etc

To add...out of our 1st..2nd and 3 year players we have recently drafted who is the most likely to emerge as a pro bowler/all-pro?

10 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I would agree..but outside of Trent who on the team is arguably the best at their position in the league or top 5? A healthy Jordan Reed? Maybe Ryan Kerrigan? A few more players need to develop..the good thing is we have the opportunity due to recent roster construction... hopefully Jonanthan Allen... Monte...Guice... etc

To add...out of our 1st..2nd and 3 year players we have recently drafted who is the most likely to emerge as a pro bowler/all-pro?

Guice (fingers crossed)

7 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Guice (fingers crossed)

Payne,Allen,? I guess Scherf is going into his fourth season but could be an All-Pro soon.I know a lot of people are down on Doctson but I haven’t given up yet.Guy has all the tools if he can put it together.

I don't give a rat's ass what any fans say now...I remember the 2008 season, and how many fans here on ES were just ****ing up a storm during the offseason about Gregg Williams not being hired as head coach, Fassel "almost" being hired, Zorn ending up as head coach, starting Campbell instead of Collins, Vinny being promoted to de facto GM....just an amazing amount of irritation and anger coupled with apathy. And it just got worse when the Skins lost the first game of the season to the Giants in an incredibly lackluster performance, something like 16-7.

By the 5th game of the season after the Skins ran off 4 straight wins, including over the Eagles and Cowboys on the road in back to back weeks, many of the ES members ****ing just over a month earlier where giddy seeing video of the team doing the "Hip Hip Hooray" in the locker room, talking about how George Allen did the same thing in the 70s, nobody was concerned with starting Collins, Portis was on his way to having 1,000 yards in the first 8 games (!!!)...that is unheard of...

You win, everything is forgotten. It's fun to follow your team when it's winning, and complaining during the winning doesn't help in raising the enjoyment. You lose, and even those fans who proclaim in every post that the Skins will always be hot garbage as long as Snyder is owner will still be getting pissed off when a wide open WR gets overthrown or a tackle is missed or an INT dropped or a penalty erases a long run...you'd think that if you felt the team won't be better than 5-11, seeing the Skins play like a 5-11 team would lead to yawns, not anger lol... but it almost always does.

7 hours ago, SamoaSkinz said:

Last one I bought was 46 Alfred Morris. I should have bought 91 though. I'll buy one next year and it will be one Jonathan Allen or Guice.

Out of curiosity for you and those who buy current player jerseys in general, why?  Even if Guice or Allen tear it up it's no guarantee they will be here 4 seasons from now.  Wouldn't it be better to purchase legacy player jerseys?  

I agree with Califan's post that winning cures all.  However, if the team doesn't win I think Bruce ironically has helped created the perfect storm for Dan.

A.  He's doubled down on the douche behavior and public speaking gaffes that would make Vinny proud -- where the team is still a national punchline.  

B.  They have a really boring team -- definitely some good players -- but really hardly any stars or personalities.

Like most here, I watch a lot of national sports/NFL shows and aside from the Kirk contract, the national media yawns when it comes to the Redskins by and large.  They clearly find the team boring.  Our players are hardly ever featured.  The one thing Dan can do in the past is bring some sexiness to the off season, add a star or two and a narrative.  I am not saying that was good.  But I think the absolute reverse might be even worse.  They still have the douche/incompetence vibe about the franchise while the team itself isn't that interesting to talk about.   

So I think in a weird way Bruce might end up even worse for Dan than Vinny.  I do think Bruce is marginally a better GM than Vinny. But the Vinny/Dan tandem could at least sell some merchandise and tickets.  The Bruce/Dan combination not so much -- or at least the post Shanny version of the tandem.  

Having said that, I do agree with those who say that elevating them team from bad to mediocre is an accomplishment in the context of the Dan era.  I just don't think they will survive well being mediocre AND boring.  If you are going to be boring -- you better win.   And when you got Dan/Bruce still at the head of the organization I don't think most fans see boring/mediocre as the glass half full version of it.

So Bruce if you are going to be a douche.  Dan if you are going to go with your traditional losing GM structure.  And you build a roster that people generally don't get excited about discussing.  Then you better win.  And yeah I do think winning changes that.  But winning to me isn't 8-8.  Will see. 

Having lived in SWFL for over 30 years as a Skins fan, I have heard many times about how the Fins were on the verge.... but I have not seen so much negativity heading into a season in those years as there is right now....Just remember it's darkest before the dawn. 

41 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Having lived in SWFL for over 30 years as a Skins fan, I have heard many times about how the Fins were on the verge.... but I have not seen so much negativity heading into a season in those years as there is right now....Just remember it's darkest before the dawn. 

I am in South Florida yeah so tough not to follow the Dolphins.  I even typically go to at least one day of training camp.    That franchise has been chasing their next QB post Dan Marino and failing.  That photo brings it home.  ?  Also must stink being in the same division as the Pats.  As for them being on the verge, that hasn't been a recent years buzz about the team from what I recall -- but agree not that long ago it was, I recall 2015 in particular. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with Califan's post that winning cures all.  However, if the team doesn't win I think Bruce ironically has helped created the perfect storm for Dan.

A.  He's doubled down on the douche behavior and public speaking gaffes that would make Vinny proud -- where the team is still a national punchline.  

B.  They have a really boring team -- definitely some good players -- but really hardly any stars or personalities.

Like most here, I watch a lot of national sports/NFL shows and aside from the Kirk contract, the national media yawns when it comes to the Redskins by and large.  They clearly find the team boring.  Our players are hardly ever featured.  The one thing Dan can do in the past is bring some sexiness to the off season, add a star or two and a narrative.  I am not saying that was good.  But I think the absolute reverse might be even worse.  They still have the douche/incompetence vibe about the franchise while the team itself isn't that interesting to talk about.   

So I think in a weird way Bruce might end up even worse for Dan than Vinny.  I do think Bruce is marginally a better GM than Vinny. But the Vinny/Dan tandem could at least sell some merchandise and tickets.  The Bruce/Dan combination not so much -- or at least the post Shanny version of the tandem.  

Having said that, I do agree with those who say that elevating them team from bad to mediocre is an accomplishment in the context of the Dan era.  I just don't think they will survive well being mediocre AND boring.  If you are going to be boring -- you better win.   And when you got Dan/Bruce still at the head of the organization I don't think most fans see boring/mediocre as the glass half full version of it.

So Bruce if you are going to be a douche.  Dan if you are going to go with your traditional losing GM structure.  And you build a roster that people generally don't get excited about discussing.  Then you better win.  And yeah I do think winning changes that.  But winning to me isn't 8-8.  Will see. 

You're exactly right.  This team is mediocre, AND boring.  That's a double sin if you think about it.  We used to be a mediocre to bad team, but because we swung wildly at the plate so many times during free agency, we would get talked about a lot more on National TV/Radio shows.  Today, we barely get talked about, and we're seen largely as an afterthought in the NFL.  We're so boring and devoid of stars, that if I were a fan of another team living in any other region of the country, I would forget that the Skins are an NFL franchise sometimes.  I have many friends and family that are fans of other teams that continually ask me what the Skins are doing, and do they "have any good players".

This team is cursed for the moment with being non-descript AND lacking big name stars.  If you're the Patriots, you can get away with having so many no-name/faceless players, because you win so much (having the best QB ever doesn't hurt either), but if you're the Redskins, you might actually be boring and non-descript to a fault.  Another mediocre season, and Dan might just throw his hands up, and clean house.  I think it eats at Dan that this team isn't popular, and meh at the same damn time.  You could even argue that Bruce Allen has done more to damage this team popularity wise and relevancy wise than Vinny Cerrato ever did.  It clearly shows in attendance (15,000 seats taken out at Fed-Ex since 2012), and in popularity (No Skins player in the Top 25 in jersey sales).

I think I kinda disagree that it's a "boring" team...

Reed and Thompson aren't boring to me at all...I might even include Doctson on that list by the end of the season, his catch radius is insane at times. AP also isnt boring to me if only to see how he ends up doing. I'm also excited to see Payne, Allen and Ioannidis used to their fullest--I got hyped up seeing Payne register a sack almost immediately in the preseason and seeing Allen absolutely stonewall that RB behind the LOS. I'm damn excited to see our front seven at work.

Are the Skins "off-season boring"? Yeah. Don't really care about that, though. Like Cousins said, wouldn't mind it if the Redskins were the Spurs of the NFL: boring but constantly winning.

Archived