Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Almost all of Christian's significant issues as a prospect were strength related.  He's a late bloomer who needed time to build his body for football.  But you can build up strength.  He's the kind of developmental tackle with significant upside to become a starter that you want to target in the third or fourth round.  And @Alcoholic Zebra is right that we already successfully developed another guy like him in Moses.  Yodny Cajuste was that guy this year, Christian was that guy last year, Moses was that guy in 2014.

7 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I've been hearing that the class of 2020 will be kind of weak for OT. Anyone feeling that same kind of way?

It's so early that it's tough to quantify the number of high end tackle prospects right now.  Multi-year starters with good traits and good film tend to show and demonstrate early round value every year though.

8 hours ago, Burgold said:

Right now, the Redskins just don't have any players that make opposing coordinators Sweat.

Love what you did there!

The D is going to look a lot different this year. The speed will be prevalent and all the players will make 'em sweat!

7 hours ago, Blue Ridger said:

I would have loved to see WAS make a play for Odell Beckham Jr. WR is a HUGE need for us.

The Giants would have never traded him to the Redskins. Plus yes we couldn't have afforded him this year. While dynamic I am not a huge fan of his ego or the fact that gets injured.

I agree not to give up on Christian, he deserves a chance to prove himself.

You ever look back and wish you could ask the drafters questions? There could be so many. Here are couple I have:

1. If Jones and Haskins were there, would you still have taken Haskins?  Okay, maybe I don't want to know that one.

Jace Sternberger went one ahead of McLaurin. Would you have taken the TE? And yes I know they were looking for a speedster and his familiarity with Haskins...and I like this pick, just wondering.

The Bryce Love pick - If you knew 4 guards would go before your next selection would have taken one of them with the first pick of the 4th round.

With the same pick same question regarding Trevon Wesco?

I loved wesco, but 4th was too high. Considering we filled much needed depth on the OL and drafted a high ceiling rb 1 year removed from a 1st round projection, we clearly made the right choice. Ross could have easily gone in the 3rd. 

Sternberger does not fill a need that Reed can’t fill better when healthy. We are better off waiting until next year for a TE. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I loved wesco, but 4th was too high. Considering we filled much needed depth on the OL and drafted a high ceiling rb 1 year removed from a 1st round projection, we clearly made the right choice. Ross could have easily gone in the 3rd. 

Sternberger does not fill a need that Reed can’t fill better when healthy. We are better off waiting until next year for a TE. 

Sternberger is really good receiver, a much better (not great) blocker than Reed and Davis plus young and healthy. Reed has never played a full season. Davis is 35 years old. My question is legitimate. 

why was it too early for Wesco if they hoped he would last until their next selection, which he didn't because other teams felt it wasn't too early for him.

Ross could have easily gone in the third.  But he didn't. He was a deal in the 5th. Heck Harmon may be the steal of the draft...or perhaps Sweat is at the 26th pick

A RB a year removed from maybe being a first round pick...We got a potential starter down the road that may very well have been available with the next pick.

17 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I've been hearing that the class of 2020 will be kind of weak for OT. Anyone feeling that same kind of way?

I like next years OT class. The QBs, Edge, WRs, & CBs are phenomenal. 

The best DL in the nation ... is in high school ... in Damascus MD. Watching what Bresee does to the ACC, for 3 years, will be spectacular. Better short shuttle than Bosa, at 6-5 290lbs. Unbelievable. 

16 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Love what you did there!

The D is going to look a lot different this year. The speed will be prevalent and all the players will make 'em sweat!

Sweat & Foster change a lot for us. Payne and Allen adding a year & hopefully Collins proves worth the contract ... we may actually intimidate someone.

14 hours ago, DWinzit said:

You ever look back and wish you could ask the drafters questions? There could be so many. Here are couple I have:

1. If Jones and Haskins were there, would you still have taken Haskins?  Okay, maybe I don't want to know that one.

Jace Sternberger went one ahead of McLaurin. Would you have taken the TE? And yes I know they were looking for a speedster and his familiarity with Haskins...and I like this pick, just wondering.

I believe we wanted McLaurin pretty badly.

15 hours ago, DWinzit said:

The Bryce Love pick - If you knew 4 guards would go before your next selection would have taken one of them with the first pick of the 4th round.

With the same pick same question regarding Trevon Wesco?

I would love to see an actual board even 4-5 years after the draft.  Not aware of a published draft board from any team, from any year, although NFL documentaries will occasionally reference one (not show it though).

37 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I like next years OT class. The QBs, Edge, WRs, & CBs are phenomenal. 

Sweat & Foster change a lot for us. Payne and Allen adding a year & hopefully Collins proves worth the contract ... we may actually intimidate someone.

I agree that we probably wanted McLaurin. Seems like a coaches dream, even if he's really best suited to being a #3. 

Also agree about Sweat, Foster and Collins. The secondary and LB core still has enough holes for us to be vulnerable, but the core of the defense is sooooo good. 

Do you really like the OT position next year? Looking at the way-too-early mocks that are out for next year, OT doesn't project to have a lot of elite prospects. Does anybody feel like they are knowledgeable enough to do a breakdown of the WR's and edge players for next year? Everybody knows/loves Jeudy, but I'm not knowledgeable with the guys behind him. I've seen a couple of the mocks that had us in the top 3 grabbing Chase Young. That would make a CRAZY young and talented front. I'm not sure I've ever seen a front with the level of investment and talent of Young-Allen-Payne-Sweat-Ioannidis. Backed by Foster and Collins, that's a championship defensive core, if Haskins pans out and we get WR help. 

Also, Grant Delpit is sick and safeties tend to fall just a little more. 

56 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I recall not all here loved McLaurin pre-draft.   I've liked him, I'll stick my neck out for him.   Mark Bullock, the film study guy for the Athletic sees him an X.  I see him more as a Z but I see the X argument. 

I get he was a late bloomer and all the stats that indicate late blooming receivers are major risks in the NFL.  But the dude's intangibles are through the roof.  He is a great blocker.  He's as fast as Desean Jackson -- same 40 time.  11 TDs last year.  Among the draft eligible receivers, he had the best QB rating when targeted.

He and Harmon were among my favorite of the 2nd tier Wrs.  And I get they both have question marks but yeah that's why they weren't draft in the first two rounds.  I saw Kyle Smith's interview about the players he took and he said the name that came up the longest was Harmon -- they considered him starting in the 4th but went with some need picks over him and then were shocked he was still there in the 6th,   

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall not all here loved McLaurin pre-draft.   I've liked him, I'll stick my neck out for him.   Mark Bullock, the film study guy for the Athletic sees him an X.  I see him more as a Z but I see the X argument. 

I get he was a late bloomer and all the stats that indicate late blooming receivers are major risks in the NFL.  But the dude's intangibles are through the roof.  He is a great blocker.  He's as fast as Desean Jackson -- same 40 time.  11 TDs last year.  Among the draft eligible receivers, he had the best QB rating when targeted.

He and Harmon were among my favorite of the 2nd tier Wrs.  And I get they both have question marks but yeah that's why they weren't draft in the first two rounds.  I saw Kyle Smith's interview about the players he took and he said the name that came up the longest was Harmon -- they considered him starting in the 4th but went with some need picks over him and then were shocked he was still there in the 6th,   

Hoping you are right.  McLaurin has grown on me as a selection, partially because of your analysis. He's got speed. He's tough. He's a super tough blocker. He's a special teams gunner. A student of the game. A team captain. I said it before, I think his non-bust floor may be James Thrash. I'm also surprised with his blocking that he hasn't been compared to Hines Ward, although he is faster than Ward. I will say however that McLaurin is not nearly as fast as Desean Jackson. I don't care about the 40 time. Jackson consistently ran away from college and NFL secondaries in a way that McLaurin doesn't/won't. Jackson has ELITE top end speed and ball tracking ability. I honestly don't think McLaurin is nearly as explosive as Bryce Love in terms of being a rapidly accelerating quick twitch athlete. Ignore the 40 and watch them. McLaurin caught a number of long balls and is good after the catch. Prior to 2017, Love exploded through defenses like he was shot out of a gun. Rapidly accelerating through the front 7 and running away from the secondary. McLaurin has speed, but he isn't an elite speed/explosion guy. Especially not in the NFL where everybody is fast. Hell, one of the fun things about watching Haskins' Michigan tape was watching Parris Campbell barely run away from Devin Bush. 

So, as you linked above, Ruggs ran a 4.25 at Alabama's pro day. I also don't think he plays as fast as a Desean, Tyreek, Bryce Love type player. Heck, I don't think he plays as fast as Jeudy, who I am sure will time slower. But, I love his hands, his thick build and his toughness. 

Jeudy is worth trading up for IMHO. He is the kind of guy that is going to justify two firsts in his value to the offense, and if Haskins pans out, a core of Haskins, Jeudy, Guice, Love, could potentially match our defensive core. Especially if we add a TE. 

Edit: I think Jerry Jeudy is an Odell Beckham level talent. How much is that level of WR talent worth, on a rookie contract, when you have a developing QB that is short on weapons?

You know what scares me about this Alabama trio.  Tua, Jeudy, and Ruggs?  They're all projected to go Top 16 right?  Generally I want to shy away from college prospects on a stacked offense.  They all make each other look better.  In a vacuum, how good are they without everyone else?

When Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno were thought of as Top 10 picks, I wanted to stay away from both, since I couldn't figure out who made who better.  LSU had a stacked offense in 2013 with Mettenberger, Jeremey Hill, Jarvis Landry, Alfred Blue, and Odell Beckham Jr.  Only the two WR's lived up to their draft position.

If we decided to trade down, a WR I'm curious about is Tylan Wallace from Oklahoma State.  He's fast, he's athletic, he's lined up Outside.  College DB's clearly can't cover him.  He's got a wide catch radius, and makes some layout grabs at full extension.  He can high point a ball well in space, but at least as of his Sophomore season, I didn't see an ability for 50/50 balls.  If a QB puts it in a difficult spot away from the defender, he can grab it.  If he has to fight through the defender, probably not.

He's also the only good player on that offense.  It's clear he's not being propped up by anybody else drawing all the coverage, it's him just roasting guys.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chase Young

QuarrelsomeOfficialGypsymoth-size_restri

A few years back the big name at DeMatha was Shane Simmons, a DE who now plays at PSU ... he was the guy with the Bama offer, the hype was legitimate, & Chase was overlooked. I laughed at a number of experts, in person, who claimed that Chase just didn’t have it ... he was called a basketball player on a football field. Then.. he went off. That guy is an absolute terror off the edge, I am always a bigger fan of DeMatha guys, but Young & McFarland warrant the adulation, I would love to see both in DC. 

The Edge class is loaded with the two from Bama (including another DMV stud),  the prospect from osu you mentioned & the guys from Iowa & Boise ... freaks.

There will probably be 3-5 OTs in next years class that grade above any from 2019... Little & Thomas are guaranteed, Wirfs, Norman, Wango, Throckmorton ❤️ & Becton, both Bama tackles & really both guys from Auburn ... eh it’s deep & the top is elite. Then the wildcards ... Trey Smith & Trey Adams, each with significant injury/health concerns, each are easy round 1 guys if healthy, Adams was, arguably, the top tackle in the last 2 classes prior to injuries ...Smith is probably a guard but most still project him to handle tackle responsibilities right now. 

Next years draft is nuts. The talent is getting much better, the nutrition & facilities are creating better prospects around the country. 

Another DMV freak is Diggs, he’s better than any corner from this class. 

I don’t typically jump back in this early, or anywhere near it because it grows old just watching this stuff & talking to the same people, but this thread has made it more entertaining again. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WRs are too difficult for me, I can only see the insanity of the freaks, the nuances are nuances I miss repeatedly. 

51 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Jeudy is worth trading up for IMHO. He is the kind of guy that is going to justify two firsts in his value to the offense, and if Haskins pans out, a core of Haskins, Jeudy, Guice, Love, could potentially match our defensive core. Especially if we add a TE. 

Watching Jeudy in HS was like watching a video game creation, he’s just different than even the most elite talent. A guy in the following class, who made other 5 star kids look like bums, is the kid at USC, St Brown. JT Daniels & St Brown fell off some radars a bit, it will be interesting to see if the wild graham will unleash their potential. 

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You know what scares me about this Alabama trio.  Tua, Jeudy, and Ruggs?  They're all projected to go Top 16 right?  Generally I want to shy away from college prospects on a stacked offense.  They all make each other look better.  In a vacuum, how good are they without everyone else?

When Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno were thought of as Top 10 picks, I wanted to stay away from both, since I couldn't figure out who made who better.  LSU had a stacked offense in 2013 with Mettenberger, Jeremey Hill, Jarvis Landry, Alfred Blue, and Odell Beckham Jr.  Only the two WR's lived up to their draft position.

If we decided to trade down, a WR I'm curious about is Tylan Wallace from Oklahoma State.  He's fast, he's athletic, he's lined up Outside.  College DB's clearly can't cover him.  He's got a wide catch radius, and makes some layout grabs at full extension.  He can high point a ball well in space, but at least as of his Sophomore season, I didn't see an ability for 50/50 balls.  If a QB puts it in a difficult spot away from the defender, he can grab it.  If he has to fight through the defender, probably not.

He's also the only good player on that offense.  It's clear he's not being propped up by anybody else drawing all the coverage, it's him just roasting guys.

Higgins, Lawrence & Ross is a trio I’m comfortable with if we are passing on the Bama guys.

47 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't know if there are 3 NFL teams with WR's better than Tua's. And, people worry about Haskins. 

39 minutes ago, volsmet said:

QuarrelsomeOfficialGypsymoth-size_restri

Next years draft is nuts. The talent is getting much better, the nutrition & facilities are creating better prospects around the country. 

Chase young would make the defense unblockable. He also looks great against the run and based on his highlights, they stunted him through the middle a ton, and he was great at slipping through the trash and making the sack/TFL. Imagine that kind of pass rush game with Payne/Allen/Io and a better DC. 

Also, regarding the talent being better next year, I thought the talent was pretty great this year and last. Maybe not with the super elite blue chip guys, but in terms of there being super high quality picks available in every round of the draft. Settle in the 5th? Stroman and Harmon in the 6th? Quinn and Brailford in the 7th? Yes please. 

Our schedule looks hard, but honestly, I don't see us sucking enough to have a shot at any of my top players. Our defense should be too good. Some of our injuries were predictable last year, but losing every decent QB on the roster, plus Scherff, who is super durable? I think we are going to be an 8-8 team that everybody is talking about being on the upswing by the end of the year. 

Also, I can't stop looking at that gif. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, regarding the talent being better next year, I thought the talent was pretty great this year and last. Maybe not with the super elite blue chip guys, but in terms of there being super high quality picks available in every round of the draft. Settle in the 5th? Stroman and Harmon in the 6th? Quinn and Brailford in the 7th? Yes please. 

The kids are getting more training & far more are playing football year round ... and humans continue to get bigger/faster/stronger - the HS talent gets more extraordinary & the drafts just get deeper. Those Edge guys next year are unbelievable... the kid from Iowa... another former 5 star blue chip kid. He’s closer to 276 or so I believe, he’s going to be a problem in the league. 

And the St Johns freak returning from injury

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

WRs are too difficult for me, I can only see the insanity of the freaks, the nuances are nuances I miss repeatedly. 

I've stuck my neck out on a bunch this draft on receivers more than any position so it will be a fun test for me.  I feel a little vindicated that one my picks who i liked for us later in the draft, Diontae Johnson (my liking of him was challenged here by some) was taken by arguably the best team in the NFL at drafting Wrs.  Will see if he works out though.   I also pushed Terry McLaurin some on the thread including on the other draft thread the day we picked him -- that will be tested, too.  And my 2nd to last film review here was on Kelvin Harmon and I said here that for a dude who runs 4.6, he really knows how to get open and is a fun watch because he's so physical.     Once Butler was taken, that was the dude i was pounding the table for.  It was interesting to see Kyle Smith say they considered taking him in the 4th but they wanted to address LG and other positions first. 

You got me though if i am doing it right. But it's fun to try anyway.  I was a big Josh Doctson guy, I was wrong on him.   I'll see this time.  

Jeudy and Lamb to me fit that freak category you are talking about.  As for Ruggs he looks explosive as heck but has nowhere the production that Jeudy did.  So I got to really study him more and see what he does this season.  I watched almost every Alabama game last year, seen two in person, and was blown away by their receivers and their team speed.  I guess who wasn't blown away?  Jeudy to me is a slam dunk star if he repeats last season.  Lamb, too.  Most of the others I haven't watched yet so got no opinion. 

33 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chase young would make the defense unblockable. He also looks great against the run and based on his highlights, they stunted him through the middle a ton, and he was great at slipping through the trash and making the sack/TFL. Imagine that kind of pass rush game with Payne/Allen/Io and a better DC. 

you are getting me excited, I've seen some clips.  Only thing is looks like we'd need a top 5 pick to get him -- at least judging by early mocks.  Granted we got lots of time before the 2020 draft so lots will change. 

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't know if there are 3 NFL teams with WR's better than Tua's. And, people worry about Haskins. 

Haskins had good receivers IMO -- but not Alabama level the Alabama guys are insane.    Speaking of Haskins i just listened to Cooley's most recent podcast and I wish i didn't.  The only prospect I recall that Cooley was negative on and got wrong was Kendall Fuller.  Hopefully its round 2 on that front.  Some of his points ironically overlapped Shanny.  

Archived