Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Felt they should have gone with Derwin James - particularly as there was talk in the war room about this and DJS has blown a few coverages this year - but I suppose there is the argument that drafting Payne is a personal investment in Allen.

With the first rounder, and where they will likely end up, think they'll go with a linebacker to build off the front seven focus.
Ideally:  Devin White, LSU or Josh Allen, Kentucky

Consolation:  Te'von Coney, Notre Dame 

Noah Fant, Iowa would be good too

11 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Josh Allen out of Kentucky has become my favorite prospect between the 12-20+ draft pick range which is our range this year I think. He's kind of a hybrid guy at Kentucky but his bread in butter seems to be getting after the QB. I think if that was his primary job at Kentucky he could easily have 13-15 sack seasons at the college level. Looks very fluid and wouldn't be a liability really on any down. Plus the thought of having a Josh and Jonathan Allen would be kinda cool. He was a 2-star prospect, these types of guys who progress at a rapid pace like this as players tend to be good gambles. Means he's hungry to be great and he works his tail off. 

I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of Allen.  It definitely didn't seem like edge rushing was his comfort zone to me.  He looked way more comfortable and skilled in coverage and in setting the edge against runs.

My biggest complaint about Allen is that he's slow.  He's a king-sized OLB with good functional power and he's smart, but his first step is ordinary and his closing speed isn't very good.  There are a whole lot of "almost" plays in his cut ups because he doesn't have that final gear to finish the play, especially when he's playing against SEC speed.  He doesn't threaten the edge with speed at all and he's not a particularly skilled counter rusher yet.  It's win with power or get shut down completely when he's rushing against a half-decent tackle and he's usually unnecessary to double.

His instincts are good and he looks unusually strong in coverage for an OLB.  His versatility looks like it will transfer to the NFL level and he should end up being a solid starter for a 3-4 team or as a 4-3 SAM.  But I do not see a special pass rusher at all.

I want to see what he runs at the combine before I'd consider taking a risk on him in the first round.  My guess is that he'll run high 4.7s or 4.8 and that he'll be a reach in the first round.

8 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Consolation:  Te'von Coney, Notre Dame 

I really, really like what I've seen out of Coney.  Very fluid athlete.  Glides around on the field and can flip his hips like Roquan Smith.  Heads up player who can find the ball.  Strong, punchy hands and surprisingly good anchor given his size.  Very efficient with his stack and shed.  Doesn't give up a lot of ground and doesn't drop his head.  Closing speed is nice and he finds a way to bring guys down in the open field as well as in traffic.  He can flat out fly downhill and make the stuff in the hole.  He does a fantastic job impeding forward progress.  Sideline to sideline speed is good, but not great.  Capable of playing in space like that but he is much more special at playing in the box and running downhill.  Excellent instincts defending the run.

The only two complaints I had about him are his size and his long speed.  They're not very big complaints because they're not weaknesses.  6'1 240 is OK, and we've seen undersized LBers like Telvin Smith and Myles Jack star at the next level.  It's just not elite, and that's kind of what you're looking for from an early first round linebacker.  The long speed is just OK for a first round caliber linebacker.  He suffers in comparison to Devin White.  But it should still be good enough for him to be a big time playmaker at the NFL level.

He reminds me of Roquan Smith.  He's probably not as fast as Roquan was, but the playing style is similar.  I think he's a special player and I think he's probably a little bit better football player than Devin White.  White is a better athlete and has higher upside, and so I could see taking White over Coney based on that.  But Coney sees the game better and he is an exceptionally gifted tackler.  The game looks like it comes so easy to him.

My take is that Coney is a definite first round talent and would be a good value pick in the 20's.  I think he'll go somewhere in the teens if he runs well at the combine.  Something in the 4.6s would be enough.  But if he manages to run in the 4.5s, he could climb into the top ten like Roquan did.

16 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

@stevemcqueen1 Who do you like on the EDGE for the 2019 draft?  

Aside from the projected top ten guys like Bosa and Ferrell, my favorite has definitely been Oshane Ximines from ODU.  That guy is a freaking ball of quick twitch muscle.  He's been the most explosive rusher that I've seen and I love his motor.  I love that he's productive against doubles because he sees a ton of them.  And I think he's a first round talent that might slip into the second round because he's not particularly big and he comes from a small program.  I think he might be the best pure edge rusher in the class.

I also like Anfernee Jennings from Alabama.  I like his versatility and physicality.  He's not a typical edge rushing 34 OLB like Ximines but he is a brutal presence in your front and has a nose for making big plays.  And he can play in the stack too.  There is some similarity in playing style to Ryan Anderson and Dont'a Hightower.  Jennings is bigger and more athletic though and doesn't have the medical flags that Hightower had.  He certainly fits the mold of players we've been drafting in our linebacking corps and I could certainly see us drafting him if he has a really good season and climbs into the 20s (which is where I think we'll pick).

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Aside from the projected top ten guys like Bosa and Ferrell, my favorite has definitely been Oshane Ximines from ODU.  That guy is a freaking ball of quick twitch muscle.  He's been the most explosive rusher that I've seen and I love his motor.  I love that he's productive against doubles because he sees a ton of them.  And I think he's a first round talent that might slip into the second round because he's not particularly big and he comes from a small program.  I think he might be the best pure edge rusher in the class.

I also like Anfernee Jennings from Alabama.  I like his versatility and physicality.  He's not a typical edge rushing 34 OLB like Ximines but he is a brutal presence in your front and has a nose for making big plays.  And he can play in the stack too.  There is some similarity in playing style to Ryan Anderson and Dont'a Hightower.  Jennings is bigger and more athletic though and doesn't have the medical flags that Hightower had.  He certainly fits the mold of players we've been drafting in our linebacking corps and I could certainly see us drafting him if he has a really good season and climbs into the 20s (which is where I think we'll pick).

If the FO likes Ximines as well and he is a projected 2nd rounder, would love to spend the first rounder on an elite OT or OG/C and then take him in the 2nd. 

8 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

If the FO likes Ximines as well and he is a projected 2nd rounder, would love to spend the first rounder on an elite OT or OG/C and then take him in the 2nd.  

It's very early so it's hard to say where some of these guys will go.  Ximines could have a 15 sack season and then run a 4.6 at 250 pounds at the combine.  In which case he's probably going in the first round.  Or he could blow out his knee next week and go undrafted.

He has first round talent IMO.  It wouldn't shock me at all if he went in the first round because that's his natural range.  We should be going BPA at our picks, but let's say we're weighing Ximines against similarly graded OLs in the first round.  If it's a tackle and it's basically even, then maybe I'd pick the OL.  But I would never pick an interior OL over a gifted edge rusher even if they basically had the same grade.  The position value isn't even close.

Don't sleep on Jennings either.  He's a really really good player and would be a perfect fit in our system and culture.  He's a lot better than Josh Allen IMO and I like him over Montez Sweat for us too.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of Allen.  It definitely didn't seem like edge rushing was his comfort zone to me.  He looked way more comfortable and skilled in coverage and in setting the edge against runs.

My biggest complaint about Allen is that he's slow.  He's a king-sized OLB with good functional power and he's smart, but his first step is ordinary and his closing speed isn't very good.  There are a whole lot of "almost" plays in his cut ups because he doesn't have that final gear to finish the play, especially when he's playing against SEC speed.  He doesn't threaten the edge with speed at all and he's not a particularly skilled counter rusher yet.  It's win with power or get shut down completely when he's rushing against a half-decent tackle and he's usually unnecessary to double.

His instincts are good and he looks unusually strong in coverage for an OLB.  His versatility looks like it will transfer to the NFL level and he should end up being a solid starter for a 3-4 team or as a 4-3 SAM.  But I do not see a special pass rusher at all.

I want to see what he runs at the combine before I'd consider taking a risk on him in the first round.  My guess is that he'll run high 4.7s or 4.8 and that he'll be a reach in the first round.

Good analysis. I dont see Von Miller or Khalil Mack when I see him rush the passer, but I do see a good motor. He just produces good numbers and has a massive impact on that defense. He is lighting it up this year as well and is a contributing part to their undefeated season so far. 

My main issue with him actually is his run defense if I'm going to nit pick. His base doesnt seem very strong for the position (but he doesnt have twig legs like Montez Sweat, I dont like that tall lanky body type at all for an edge rusher). I saw Allen get pushed around and get taken out of run plays a little too much for my likings when he lined up on the LOS. I like his versatility, he doesnt have glaring holes that cant be fixed and hes trusted to do a lot of things on that defense. Plus hes good at coverage, you cant be a liability against the pass in the NFL these days or you'll hurt the defense. 

Beau Benzschawel looks like a beast.   A little raw and heavy footed but looks like he could be a really good OG.. I'd love to see him and Scherff anchoring Chase.  It appears he's better suited for run blocking, and was projected as a 5th rounder as a JR... be interested in seeing if he can improve this year in pass pro and be a solid look. 

55 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Beau Benzschawel looks like a beast.   A little raw and heavy footed but looks like he could be a really good OG.. I'd love to see him and Scherff anchoring Chase.  It appears he's better suited for run blocking, and was projected as a 5th rounder as a JR... be interested in seeing if he can improve this year in pass pro and be a solid look. 

What would you consider his projected draft round to be at this time?

On 10/3/2018 at 12:59 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really, really like what I've seen out of Coney. 

Just got around to watching some videos of him on youtube. I'm impressed, to me he looks like the #2 ILB of the draft. I pretty much agree with your entire analysis, he has the right body type that can absorb impact as well. I would not be upset if he was our round 2 pick. Heck he could even slide into the first with a good combine because of his production.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:41 AM, OVCChairman said:

Good LORD, I know it's early but the Mocks are all OVER the place.  DE / S / WR / G / QB

"It's early" pretty much explains why mocks are all over the place. 

Swap out the QB for a CB and these are probably my top 5 needs on the team.  When the Redskins pick in the first round, I wouldn't be upset if the best player available comes from one of these positions.  In fact, you can throw in a LB as well.  My #1 need would be a WR, if he is the best player on the board.

But as you previously stated, it really is too early to speculate about next year's draft.

19 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Really digging this Florida/LSU game, two great defenses at work here. Tons of guys to keep your eyes on, Devin White seemingly in on every play. Floridas Oline is also looking good against LSU. LSU's pass defense is also just on another level. 

Seems like a a good chunk of the draft geeks now see White as a top 10 pick I noticed.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems like a a good chunk of the draft geeks now see White as a top 10 pick I noticed.

Yeah he has rare closing speed and acceleration for the position. This isn't one of his best games, but he's still seemingly around the football, he let his man beat him on the recent Florida TD. Luckily the ball didn't go to his man as there were two open receivers. 

Also another QB name to throw out there McKenzie Milton, but not sure if he's coming out this year or next. He's a little short, which could cause him to fall further than he'd probably like. 

Thoughts? I like his release, but he definitely needs to get up to around 200lbs or he'll get killed in the NFL. 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, bird_1972 said:

@stevemcqueen1 How is this draft looking for interior OL? This is arguably our biggest need (and yes, I know we aren't supposed to draft for need)

I haven't even looked at the interior OLs yet.  I've looked at a few of the tackles, but for the most part I've been watching defensive guys.  Some names I'm most interested in watching are Benzschawel and Dieter and Biadasz from Wisconsin, Pierschbacher from Bama, Burkett and Herbig from Stanford, Lindstrom from BC, McGovern from Penn State, Williams and Jenkins from Mississippi St, Prince and Gray from Maryland, Jordan from Ohio State, and Ivey from Florida.

Dalton Risner gets put into the mix as a guard by a lot of draftniks but I see that guy as a first round caliber tackle.  I already watched some of Max Scharping and I didn't love what I saw.

Archived