Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not sure what more casual fans would think of Jones, after all, he’s at least (fairly consistently) mocked as a 1st round qb.  Does seem like ES is mostly aligned with you and I here though.  

I'd assume casual fans would have no clue.  But IMO they'd find out quick -- boring QB, ultra boring guy.  I was listening to one of the Junkies say this morning that Jones really struggled against the better defenses in his career.  Didn't know that.  I'll dive in more to Jones.  I am no QB expert so I could be dead wrong but for me at the moment Jones feels "meh".   And what I'd hate even more about it is that he'd likely be a first rounder so you are stuck with him for years because you don't throw in the towel fast on a first rounder.

I do see some like him such as Casserly.  Some like to say he could have Wentz like ability because of his size and mobility.  I don't see that.  Part of that for me is because Wentz has a gun whereas Jones' arm is average.  And Wentz actually has a personality. 

Yeah, this is probably my number 2 ideal scenario.  A pricier FA qb or trading up for Jones are my least favorite options.  

Me too.

Followed by trading up for Lock or taking Jones at 15.  Then trading up for Murray.  I could live with Murray at 15 (though it’s a strange choice) or maybe trading up for Haskins (he’s the best bet, though I’m loathe to give up what I think it’ll take to get him.  

My opinion might change but right now I don't want to trade up for anyone.  But if they trade up a little to get Murray or Lock I wouldn't hate it if it doesn't cost them their 2020 first rounder.  I wouldn't hate trading up for Haskins if they think he's the be all and end all.  I personally don't think he is that slam dunk the real deal where I'd do it but I'd trust Kyle and Jay, etc to know miles more than I ever could naturally so I'd trust it and go for that ride.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25834281/predicting-2019-vegas-win-totals-unders-all-32-nfl-teams

Projected over/under: 6 wins (over -105, under -115)

Optimistic fans might note that Washington was 6-3 before Alex Smith broke his leg and was down to Josh Johnson by the end of the season, but even during that 6-3 stretch, the team had outscored its opposition by a combined one point, and its Pythagorean expectation suggested Washington was playing like a .500 team.

Washington also has just $15.5 million in cap space to work with and may need to replace Smith, who has a guaranteed $15 million base salary coming in 2019 and might never be able to play again. Washington has an underrated defense and a great offensive line when healthy, but unless it adds another quarterback, its ceiling with Colt McCoy is capped.

@JamesMadisonSkinsI’m not really a fan of Ferguson, but if he lasts until the 3rd, sure, why not.  

Savage in the 5th would be a steal IMO.  I like Adderley, Thornhill and maybe Thompson a bit more (all 3 go in the 2nd I think), but Savage is right there with Gardner, IMO - solid 3rd rounders.  Denis and J. Johnson (the U) are intriguing FS prospects, but a bit undersized, which is a part of why I have them a bit lower.  

On 1/27/2019 at 1:36 AM, wolfsire said:

Not sold on using #1 for a Qb. Just need to make sure we solve the problem at center and get in position to draft Bradbury so we can forget about problems there for the next ten years. A guy who can anchor the line.

Draft Bradbury in the 2nd / 3rd and shift Chase to Left guard.  OL problems solved.  Find young quality backup Swing Tackle to team with Christian and one or the other takes over for Trent Williams next year.  Williams is breaking down and shouldn't get another contract from the Redskins.  

19 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@JamesMadisonSkinsI’m not really a fan of Ferguson, but if he lasts until the 3rd, sure, why not.  

Savage in the 5th would be a steal IMO.  I like Adderley, Thornhill and maybe Thompson a bit more (all 3 go in the 2nd I think), but Savage is right there with Gardner, IMO - solid 3rd rounders.  Denis and J. Johnson (the U) are intriguing FS prospects, but a bit undersized, which is a part of why I have them a bit lower.  

My prediction all along would be that we'll address Safety in the free agency cycle. It's an under-valued position $$-wise lately, and we may opt to key HaHa given he has shown potential and could be cheaper than alternatives. If we have HaHa at one safety spot ... or another FA like Collins or the like ... you have Apke and Nicholson and Everett. Those 3 are fine with me (suspensions for Nicholsn aside) to have on the roster and Nicholson and Apke has the pedigree to start ... I don't think we'd need a "starting" caliber Safety from the draft. Merely another 4th round type ala Nicholson and Apke to add depth and upside. Without the 4th (at least now), I just peg that player in the 5th round. I think that's  good place for it.

I really like Jimmy Moreland too. Not because of my affiliation for all things Dukes ... but he played well in the senior bowl manning the slot against Isabella. Almost got him for a safety on a great screen read. He's small (5'10) but was a turnover machine at JMU. He stirkes me as a guy that could play slot corner but also line up at deep center in some packages. And he's probably there to be had in the 5th as an undersized small-school prospect. Whoever ends up drafting him is gonna have a good one on their hands.

5 minutes ago, Cskin said:

Draft Bradbury in the 2nd / 3rd and shift Chase to Left guard.  OL problems solved.  Find young quality backup Swing Tackle to team with Christian and one or the other takes over for Trent Williams next year.  Williams is breaking down and shouldn't get another contract from the Redskins.  

Like Bradberry. Don't think he has the G/C versatility that somoene like Risner has. But I wouldn't hate that scenario.

Martez Ivey from Florida is an interesting guy. Some had him really high (in that 2nd to 3rd range) as a Guard just a month or two ago but now I' seeing him in the 4th-6th range. IDK if that changes as the off-season progresses and big boards get tweaked, but I have him as someone the Skins would benefit from having in the 4th-6th range if he's there. Could play Tackle or Guard. Again, more versatility on the OL the better.

A Bradberry - Ivey or a Risner - Ivey would give you long term starters at either C or G or T depending on how they best fit in with our existing personnel.

Interior OL I am intrigued by who *could* come in and start right away

#15:

T/G Jonah Williams, Alabama

T/G Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Late 1st to our 2nd:

T/G/C Dalton RIsner, Kansas State

G Chris Lindstrom, Boston College

2nd to 3rd:

C Garrett Bradberry, NC State

G Michael Jordan, Ohio State

C Erik McCoy, Texas A&M

G Michael Deiter, Wisconsin

G Beau Banschwazel, Wisconsin

G Dru Samia, Oklahoma

G Connor McGovern, Penn State

5th:
G/T Martez Ivey, Florida

G Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Perfect draft for me. I predict JAX will sign a veteran QB. But let's say they don't draft a QB at 7. Trade 1.15 to Jax to take Murray and get 2.7, 4.7 and a 2020 1st round pick.

2.7: Dalton RIsner, C/G/T Kansas State

2.14: Deebo Samuel, WR S. Carolina

3.12: Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE Louisiana Tech

3.33: Jarret Stidham, QB Auburn

4.7: Terrill Hanks, ILB New Mexico State

5.15: Jimmy Moreland, CB/S JMU

5.33: Darnell Savage, S Maryland

This would be a pretty good draft.  I wish we could grab one of Irv/Hockenson at TE.  I haven't looked at Moreland, I see you list him as a CB/S, does that mean you think he's mostly a Nickel corner or Cover 1/3 type of safety?  From the little I saw of Hanks, I like him, but haven't really seen enough to say much.  Hopefully he can operate as a 3rd down LB?

This is the last year we have Doctson on his cheaper rookie deal, I doubt we're picking up the 5th year option.  I think Deebo can function as the 'X' receiver (Doctson's role) or in the Slot.  So 2019 has Crowder leaving, and gives us one last year to see if Doctson's slow development turns a corner.  The leaves Slot for Mr. Irrelevant and Deebo to split time, and Deebo becomes the primary backup to Doctson.  Ease him into the playbook, and shift him to full time 'X' in 2020 if Doctson doesn't take a step forward.  I'm seeing Deebo as a shiftier version of Pierre Garcon.  He seems to have a similar body type and mentality.

Someone to look at Day 3 is Terry McLuarin (spelling?) from Ohio State, he seems like a really solid developmental guy for the 'Y' role, that the injury prone Paul Richarson currently occupies.  I think we'd have to draft him in the 4th for your scenario though.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hockenson or Irv Smith, those are the two to address that.  Reed and Davis aren't long term answers, and who knows, both might be retired by the time the 2020 season rolls around.  But Hockenson and Irv might both go in the 1st round.

21 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hockenson or Irv Smith, those are the two to address that.  Reed and Davis aren't long term answers, and who knows, both might be retired by the time the 2020 season rolls around.  But Hockenson and Irv might both go in the 1st round.

I am with you, love both players, and I've talked about both some on this thread.  Irv looks like the better receiver and Hockenson the better blocker.  But both dudes can do it all.  I wouldn't actually be upset at even taking Hockenson at 15.  I noticed Jeremiah had him go top 10 in his last mock. 

For those interested found a mock today from someone who was at the senior bowl

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/crabbs-2019-nfl-mock-draft-5-0/

Lindstrom who I've been hoping for in the 2nd, he has going at #18 in the first.  Risner at #16.  Jones is out of the first round.  Funkiest thing is Metcalf at #4. 

And another one from someone at the Senior bowl. Also with Jones out of the first round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-goes-no-1-overall-to-cardinals-kyler-murray-to-dolphins/

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I haven't looked at Moreland, I see you list him as a CB/S, does that mean you think he's mostly a Nickel corner or Cover 1/3 type of safety?  From the little I saw of Hanks, I like him, but haven't really seen enough to say much.  Hopefully he can operate as a 3rd down LB?

I put the S designation to relay his versatility as a possible developmental type. But he played CB at JMU and was a 4 year starter at CB the whole time. He's 5'10 and they were playing him in the slot on Isabella for a lot of the 2nd quarter of the Sr. Bowl. He was not in the game on Isabella's TD, and played him well from what I saw. They were name dropping him quite a bit. He was #17. I think he's a nickel corner primarily. But maybe could be a developmental safety, IDK.

As for Hanks, after a strong Day 2 of senior bowl practice someone dubbed him as this years "Darius Leonard" ... Leonard was going in the 3rd to 4th round range as a small school guy leading up to the sr. bowl and had a great week ... but even I was taken aback by his "high" pick atop R2 last year to Indy based on where he was being mocked. Clearly Leonard is a stud. Not saying Hanks is Leonard, but I think it was Daniel Jeremiah that said Hanks was making a case for being this year's Leonard at the Sr. Bowl. Not saying he's gonna rise to R2 and be an all-pro ILB, but he's a coverage style ILB and he went from 5th to 6th in a lot of the big boards pre-Sr bowl to the 3rd to 4th in the ones that have come out since. So maybe his rise continues, but if it doesn't he's a small school guy with great versatility in coverage that we could eye in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yep. And this is why I wouldn't HATE it if we went Hockenson at 15 and then got a Guard in the 2nd. Your OL/blocking scheme with Guice/AP/Thompson/Whoever back there would be excellent. If you HAD to start a mid-round rookie, at least you would give them a chance with a run game and a couple really good options over the seams at TE in Reed and Hockenson.

I know this was discussed earlier in this thread a couple weeks ago, but I'm starting to hone in on Porter Gustin from USC. Yes, huge red flags for injury history. I don't mind going hard for a guy like that if he's your #3 or #4 option and won't be on the field a ton. But he's 6'4 270 and would be a really nice piece to add in to mix with Ryan Anderson should we let Preston Smith walk. He's a big pass rusher off the edge and I think he would likely be had for a 3rd at most. Again, if we go TE/G/QB/WR early in this draft, I think the 3rd and 5th rounds will be sweet spots for getting ILB/Edge guys should we pass on them in the 1st.

There are 3 Alabama LBs who should be available at our picks on Day 2 and 3

- Mack Wilson, ILB who is likely a R2 pick

- Anfernee Jennings, ILB or OLB likely R3-5

- Christian Miller, Edge likely a R4-6

Their pedigree of strong stats and Bama blood might drive their stocks up. In fact, given both, I'm surprised they're still slated as Day 3 guys. I know some on here weren't high on Jennings. He apparently turned it up late in the year, but Bama folks thought he'd be best returning for 2019.

Given our recent history and needs at both Edge and ILB, I think everyone should pencil in Miller or Jennings in the 3rd or 5th.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For those interested found a mock today from someone who was at the senior bowl

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/crabbs-2019-nfl-mock-draft-5-0/

Kelvin Harmon at #15?  Ouch.  I've only seen one cutup, but watched enough to feel like I had the general picture for Harmon.  I was thinking of him as a 3rd rounder based on that.  From that game, he's the #2 WR on that team, the offense seems more geared towards getting the ball to Meyers.  Harmon is a raw route runner that can't run a full route tree right now.  He looks like he's got no YAC ability, but he does give serious effort in the run game.  He'll block.  Harmon does a good job adjusting his body to throws such as back shoulders, 50/50 balls, sideline tip toe stuff.

Most of his routes are either Go or Hitch routes, with the occasional Out or In route.  He does a good job looking for soft spots in a zone and then calling for the ball, but that's about it.  He ran the In/Out routes as drawn up on a whiteboard, if he was selling something else, the corners weren't buying it.

I'm surprised he's going in the middle of the 1st round in a mock, he looks like a worse version of Josh Doctson in college.  I'm thinking Harmon is going to test OK at the combine, but won't surprise anyone.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, volsmet said:

I love Devin Bush, but you’re right, he’s a lesser Foster. It would make more sense to take Johnathan Abram, he can bring a bit of what Bush does while filling a need at S.

A corner prospect to keep an eye on is Palm Beach Florida’s, Jimmy Moreland. Moreland was suspended from the team at one point, which will likely move him down, but he’s certainly an NFL talent. 

Interesting article in Riggo's Rag about prioritizing the offense in the upcoming draft.  Summary - the offense wasn't any good even with Smith as QB and the draft QB prospects likely to be available aren't that good in relation to where they may have to be drafted.  Conclusion - the Skins should get the pieces of the offense set up so that a rookie QB selected in 2020 would have a chance to succeed.  I think it makes sense.  Also, if the Skins decide to fire all the coaches after 2019 the new HC would have an opportunity to weigh in on whomever the team drafts as QB.  Even if no one gets fired the Skins are going to need a QB who can either sit behind Smith in 2020 or take over that year.  IMO the Skins need to draft a developmental QB who can eventually step up and take over the role of #2.  McCoy doesn't have a good injury history and he's getting old.  I don't consider Johnson a long-term answer as backup.  

OT/G, WR and TE in this year's draft would fit with building blocks for the offense.  Whether the Skins stay at 15 or drop back a few spots I think I'd go with Polite or Sweat (EDGE) based on position value.  I wouldn't use a first round pick on a Guard (an OT that can play G for a year would be ok). 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Thats not entirely accurate. 😬

Oh, right. Forgot about that haha.

10 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If he' still around in the 3rd...

IMO, I would only draft an RB if we get an extra pick in the 5th or use one of our 5th round picks. Love is going very late in a lot of mock drafts I have seen. Which is crazy IMO. I have to imagine it moves back up as teams to medical evals on him. But he's a 2019 redshirt for all intents and purposes. I would draft him hoping to pair him and Guice and Thompson together in 2020 and beyond to be a dominant RB core. But I wouldn't go 3rd rounder on him, with the other holes (on offense even) that we have.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Love is going very late in a lot of mock drafts I have seen. Which is crazy IMO. I have to imagine it moves back up as teams to medical evals on him. But he's a 2019 redshirt for all intents and purposes. I would draft him hoping to pair him and Guice and Thompson together in 2020 and beyond to be a dominant RB core. 

Robert-Downey-Jr.-Absolutely-Gif-In-Sher

43 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Interesting article in Riggo's Rag about prioritizing the offense in the upcoming draft.

So this is kind of the direction that I have been trending. We still have some missing pieces on defense, but the offense really needs a kick in the butt. Granted, a lot of the struggles have been due to injuries the last couple of years, but I think it would be invaluable to the team if we were to add LG, WR, TE and then a developmental QB in the first 3 rounds. Especially if we can trade back in the 1st and do so.

Question - how early do you start considering Bryce Love?  What round do you think someone takes a chance on him?

6th or 7th round.  He should've entered the draft last year.  He wasn't viewed as a hot commodity before he tore his ACL.  He won't be ready to start the 2019 season.

40 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So this is kind of the direction that I have been trending. We still have some missing pieces on defense, but the offense really needs a kick in the butt. Granted, a lot of the struggles have been due to injuries the last couple of years, but I think it would be invaluable to the team if we were to add LG, WR, TE and then a developmental QB in the first 3 rounds. Especially if we can trade back in the 1st and do so.

We can move out of the first entirely, set ourselves up with additional picks in this years draft to get that guard/wr & te, and qb all while picking up a first, or two, in the 2020/2021 drafts. 

The value of losing is underappreciated, how much you can get by trading back from the top 5 is absolutely unbelievable. I’d love to draft 2 QBs & Love this year, get the #1 pick next year and trade it as your boy Grier leads us to the promise land surrounded by pieces we got for trading Tua. 

Trade Trent for? (Much less than we’d have gotten a year ago, unfortunately.) - but he would certainly still land a nice package. Houston loves Trent.

Trade our first for a 2020 #1, what? Supposing we let our trade partner keep their own 2019 #1, I suspect we could add quite a bit of draft capital in addition to the 2020 #1.

In 2020 we draft Terrell Lewis (formally known as Terrell Hall), Chase Young, Terrence Davis, Jauan Williams, and Anthony McFarland, the Catholic League dynasty begins.

Drafting offense in 2019:

In 2019 we draft DMV OL exclusively:

Brock Ruble in the 7th #GilmanStrong

Damian Prince in the 7th #McNamaraStrong

Derwin Gray in the 5th #FCAstrong

Isaiah Prince in the 4th #RooseveltStrong

Bryce Love with a 3rd, he’s going to require a 3 after his pro day. 

Preston Williams in the 5th.

Will Grier (for SIP) in the 100th.

Mecole Hardman with a 7th.

Deebo with a 2nd.

Elite talent, size, speed and Grier.

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think I stated it above but unless Josh allen is there at #15 I’d consider trading it for an early 2nd and 3rd and 2020 1st. Even if we did a 2/4/5 and future 1 I’d be all for it. Go into 2020 with two #1 picks and hit the positions of long term need where they’re sweet in this draft. Round 2/3. 

I’m 100% with you, the depth is there to capitalize on if we are willing to be patient. 

Again, I may have missed it, things are chaotic here (home), but what are the feelings on Gary? Big Ten coaches swear by him, his teammates do the same, but he doesn’t jump out with any regularity when I’ve watched UM play. Do we have a consensus on him from the guys & gals of the draft thread? I’m intrigued by the talent, but is he a player and what does he bring? Seeing him mocked below us just seems odd, Derwin odd by reputation, but not by what I’ve seen on the field thus far.

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@volsmetI think it’s safe to say Grier would be for me more than SIP, lol.  

Yep, if I recall there is another person here who likes him a lot too.   I like Grier, don't love him.  I like him as a flier in the 2nd round if they go that route but I am not banking that the dude is a sure fire NFL starter.

Lol, I think Daniel Jones to me this year what Malik McDowell was 2 drafts ago.  That draft we were looking hard at DTs, and I would slam the dude whenever I could.  I am headed that way with Jones.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/most-likely-senior-bowl-prospects-to-go-round-1/

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

I’ll be honest, I don’t buy the “Daniel Jones top 2o” or “first round lock” talk right now. What are we getting excited about here? He doesn’t make tough throws. He lacks arm strength for distance and velocity. His production is middling. He throws too many interceptions. I just don’t get it.

Nevertheless, the NFL reportedly likes Jones enough to consider him in this range. I don’t think he’ll come off the board in Round 1, but in a late, trade-back-into-the-first scenario? Jones has a better chance than most Senior Bowl prospects of finding his way into the top 32.

Archived