Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Same here.  I definitely like Lock more.

I do not see first round arm talent with Jones.  I think the first round hype for him was bad draftnik groupthink based on him being big and athletic, but I think he's starting to come back down to Earth.  He's a second or third round talent IMO.

I think it's:

1 - Murray

2 - Haskins

bit of a drop

3 - Lock

huge dropoff

4 - Grier/Jones/Finley/Stidham, etc.

Murray, Haskins, and Lock are the only first round caliber QBs this season.

I've watched more Murray than any of these QBs including watching him play the Orange Bowl in person.  I've been gun shy jumping on the bandwagon in part because I was also sold on RG3 and like RG3 I worry about Murray's durability.  And then there is the size factor.   But thinking about it his Oklahoma O line is pretty big-tall and almost all bonafide NFL prospects.  So if he can see throwing lanes with them why not the NFL?  If i am going pure talent Murray I think by far is my favorite.

I am a sucker for mobility and arm strength and he has both in spades.   Look at the throw below, he flings it down the field with almost just a flick of the wrist.   Everything being equal, I like quarterbacks who do not have to put their whole bodies into their throws -- often in the NFL you are going to have to throw it where you don't have time to set your feet and have to throw on the run.  On both counts does it get better than Murray?

Heck from a mobility stand point, he puts Russell Wilson and RG3 to shame.  He's both faster and more elusive.  With his low center of gravity he has great balance, too. 

@stevemcqueen1Fair enough about Waldman.  The breakdown was two ‘analysts’ coming into it without sharing info and they had the same takeaways.  This breakdown feels different from what you described about Cook, etc. in that he isn’t picking out a certain thing that makes him stand out - it’s a myriad of things.

As for age, yes, that’s maybe an advantage he has (and the others could catch up in a maturity sense), but he played in fewer games than Lock, Stidham, Jones, etc.  I don’t think being a bit older is what makes him so smooth/poised in the pocket, and so adept vs pressure.  I don’t think I’ve ever really disagreed with your take on a prospect before, but I think he’s clearly the 3rd best qb of the draft (after Haskins/Murray) and a safer pick than the latter.  Of course it’s all just opinions.  I’m gonna add a bit more (more so for others sakes really), and then I’m gonna quit yammering about him, ‘cause I know it can get annoying when a guy is harped on too much, lol.  

His stats are impressive, but I’m more impressed by what he brings to the table.  
His size is solid, he’s got a good arm and a quick release.  He can move (slide in the pocket and scramble) really well, keeps his eyes downfield when he does, and the more I watch the better I see him throw on the move.  He’s good vs pressure, can make all the throws, has solid touch and a very good deep ball.  In terms of the mental stuff, he balances smart plays with aggressive plays, understands what throws he can get away with depending on the defenders positioning.  I think he goes through reads better than any qb I’ve watched this year.  Essentially, I feel like he’s the whole package.  

Obviously, I’ve avoided the one real criticism (I’ve come to the conclusion the rest are pretty much baseless) - namely, footwork.  Mahomes got killed for his terrible footwork (easily worse than Grier’s, IMO), so I don’t see it as some unassailable mountain. With that said, it’s a concern, particularly for a timing based offense and in terms of the transition to playing under center.  The way he performed in his freshman year, and his subsequent success transitioning to a new offense in WV makes me think he’s a quick study.  I’m also of the opinion that footwork is often a bit overrated. Plenty of qbs succeed with less than ideal footwork and plenty have failed with excellent footwork.  If a qb can get it done regardless, I’m content just tweaking it (within the context of the system) rather than trying to revamp it.  

I wasn’t totally sold on him initially (though I absolutely liked him), but the more I watch him, watch others, pursue other’s thoughts, the more I think he could wind up being the steal of the draft if he slips to where mocks are tabbing him.  I don’t love him at 15 purely because of the optics, I’ve decided, but I honestly think everyone complaining about the pick would change their tune down the road. 

From Brugler (late September)
Lock and Grier are the top-2 senior QB prospects, IMO. Grier is a smart rhythm passer and does a great job beating man coverage w/ his placement/timing. So far, he has cut down on the poor decisions that were frequent on his 2017 tape.

From Jeremiah (pre 2018)

What I liked: The one word I would use to describe Grier: smooth. He's an effortless thrower who's very poised in the pocket. He has outstanding foot quickness in his setup and he's elusive versus the pass rush. He has shown the ability to subtly side step edge pressure or spin around and escape the pocket. He is also effective creating plays as a runner on both zone reads and scrambles.

Grier lacks elite size, but he has plenty of arm strength. I watched him throw live last month at the Elite 11 Finals in Redondo Beach, Calif., and I was very impressed with his combination of zip and touch. He also put on a show when throwing on the move. He makes it look easy. Grier has a quick delivery. He can accurately drive the ball on skinny posts and hole shots near the sideline. He can also operate with limited foot space in the pocket. His accuracy doesn't suffer when he's off platform or forced to change arm angles.

Biggest takeaway: I was surprised by how many times I saw Grier make full-field reads. The WVU offense is more complicated than I anticipated. He routinely works from one side of the field to the other. That will make his transition to the next level easier. Also, the more I watched Grier, the more I liked him. I had a quarterback coach in college who used to always say, "How smooth can you be?" Grier is extremely smooth. He has an ease of movement in the pocket and his throwing motion is very natural. That bodes well for his future.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heck from a mobility stand point, he puts Russell Wilson and RG3 to shame.  He's both faster and more elusive.  With his low center of gravity he has great balance, too.  

I would be surprised if he is as fast as RGIII.  RGIII had legit 4.3 speed and was just a step slower than Vick.  He was in that Lamar Jackson/Terrelle Pryor tier.

I think Murray is in Kaepernick's world.  Elite speed for the position, but not GOAT tier like RGIII.  If he runs at the combine, I think he runs high 4.4s or low 4.5s.  I agree he's more elusive than RGIII was, reminds me of Vick/Wilson that way.

I just had to go back to the top of the thread and make sure I wasn't in the 'who is going to be the skins QB in 2019' thread. Funny, but understandable. 

A couple of interesting bits from ESPN:

From the list of prospects who shined:

Oshane Ximines of Old Dominion has some technique work to refine, but he's an explosive edge rusher. And he has more power than his frame indicates. He and Sweat were the clear-cut best edge rushers here this week. (Collier is a combo inside-outside guy.)

I was really impressed with Kentucky's long corner Lonnie Johnson Jr. this week. He laid out Clemson receiver Hunter Renfrow on a screen on Thursday, and he has been strong in press-man all week. He brings a real physical edge and I think he'd be a perfect fit in a Seattle-like defense. He made money this week.

A lot of small school offensive linemen impressed against the big boys this week. Olisaemeka Udoh (Elon)... he's rawer than Howard, Udoh has rare length (36-inch arms) and moves well for a player who weighs in at 327 pounds.

On the list of prospects who raised more questions than they answered:

344.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Team: South | Uniform number: 38

This highly ranked safety failed his physical, so he will need to get that handled. He will be medically checked at the combine and then again at medical rechecks in early April. NFL teams will also have their medical staffs look at him individually. Abram is a top-40 talent and really broke out this year, so it will certainly be something to watch. -- McShay

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would be surprised if he is as fast as RGIII.  RGIII had legit 4.3 speed and was just a step slower than Vick.  He was in that Lamar Jackson/Terrelle Pryor tier.

I think Murray is in Kaepernick's world.  Elite speed for the position, but not GOAT tier like RGIII.  If he runs at the combine, I think he runs high 4.4s or low 4.5s.  I agree he's more elusive than RGIII was, reminds me of Vick/Wilson that way.

RG3 ran a 4.41, Wilson 4.55.  Murray might beat them both but yeah its possible he's a shade less than RG3.  Even if so, he's IMO a better runner because I think he has quicker feet and much more elusiveness.   That was one of the weird things for RG3 for a dude with speed he had almost no shiftiness and wiggle.  

I am already leaning negative on Jones, Casserly liking him is the kicker -- now I definitely don't like him. 🙂  Actually though we still have the game today maybe that will change some opinions.  Though agree that the senior bowl isn't the be all and end all.  But to me what adds to my concern about Jones is his personality.  As Arians talks about in his book about QBs -- for that position everything being equal personality matters.  Granted its tough to always tell from interviews (he comes off to me bland, low key and soft spoken) but from what I've seen he makes Eli Manning look like he's teaming with magnetism in comparison.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/24/senior-bowl-north-practice-takeaways-day-3/

• So… about these quarterbacks. Let’s get through this quickly. Trace McSorleyproved he isn’t a draftable commodity. Daniel Jones had some first-round buzz entering the week but he struggled immensely. Everything was calculated, his ball velocity was poor and nothing looked natural. He was pressing hard throughout the week. Ryan Finley was Ryan Finley… primed for a long carer as a backup. Drew Lock was clearly the best of the group but he didn’t put on a show like we’ve seen in recent years at the Senior Bowl from Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Carson Wentz. That said, he was in a tier of his own.

In speaking to Raiders coaches around halfway through the Senior Bowl week, they liked Lock the most. They said that Lock was picking things up faster than Jones, and they were a little surprised that Jones was not picking things up as fast as Lock was. They like Lock's skill set and on-field confidence, along with how he was picking up the playbook and concepts. While it is still a small sample size, and some prospects fade while others close out the week strong, Lock was the most impressive quarterback to the Raiders staff.

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Senior-Bowl-Friday-Rumor-Mill#ixzz5dinDhvoZ

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/25/10-biggest-disappointments-of-senior-bowl-week/

6. Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

If this was supposed to be the first step in Jones’ ascension to locking in a Round 1 grade, it did not go as planned. The big Duke quarterback was far too slow in his decision-making from the pocket, often opting to safely check the ball down instead of threaten a tight window. I give him credit for knowing his limitations – his arm is pretty average – but eventually you have to show me you can make high degree of difficulty throws as a quarterback to succeed in the NFL. Jones didn’t do that on tape or in Mobile.

10. Will Grier, QB, WVU

I’ve never been very high on Grier, but I was entertaining the thought of him cracking my top 100 at points this season. At this point it would be hard to anticipate that happening, as Grier struggled with accuracy and mechanics all week, missing several throws on air each day. His arm talent just isn’t good enough to consider him an ideal developmental prospect, and his pocket presence was a big concern at WVU. I think he’s going to be a lot less coveted by the NFL than many believe.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25843413/2019-senior-bowl-best-quarterbacks-nfl-draft-risers-biggest-takeaways-week-more

How do the eight Senior Bowl quarterbacks emerge following this week?

142.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Drew Lock, Missouri

Team: North | Uniform: 3 | QB ranking: 3 | Grade: 83

Lock had his best day of the week on Thursday. He was in control and looked good in the red zone. He needs to get a little more consistent with anticipatory accuracy and decision-making, and he needs work on touch throws and when throwing on the move, but his trajectory and ball placement on the deep ball are outstanding. One note from earlier this week, though: His 9-inch hands will be a concern when it comes to ball security, pump fakes and handling poor weather. -- McShay

150.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Daniel Jones, Duke

Jones had a really tough afternoon on Thursday to cap off a subpar week. He had some issues handling snaps from his center out of the shotgun, fumbling three times (two of which he should have handled), and Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden was on him about a lack of command in the huddle and playcalling verbiage mistakes. Still, the Duke signal-caller shook it off, processing the defense quickly. He doesn't get great zip on the ball, but he has a feel for trajectory. He did a lot of positive things over the three trips to the practice field this week, but he did not look like a first-rounder to me. -- McShay

2.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Team: South | Uniform: 8 | QB ranking: 5 | Grade: 80

This riser had his best outing yet on Thursday, excelling in the red zone and on third down. I like his pocket presence a lot, and there's no denying the strong arm and smooth stroke. He was fitting the ball into tight windows in the red zone, something he has improved on throughout the week. -- McShay

152.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Ryan Finley, NC State

Team: North | Uniform: 15 | QB ranking: 6 | Grade: 79

The Senior Bowl was never going to be a place for Finley to shine with just an adequate arm and decent mobility. But he processes the play quickly and plays with good anticipation, hitting his timing throws. I just wanted to see him let it rip a bit more this week -- he played it safe a lot with a good chunk of checkdowns. He has the potential to be a good backup in the NFL, and perhaps become a starter in the right system. -- McShay

277.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Will Grier, West Virginia

Team: South | Uniform: 7 | QB ranking: 7 | Grade: 75

Grier made some good throws this week and flashed his potential at times. And he looked all right on drops from under center over the course of the week, which is a new concept to him. But Grier definitely seems to hold the ball too long, and his accuracy needs to improve when he's forced to move off his initial spot. He is locking onto his primary target too long at times. I think at this point he grades as an above-average backup who could develop into a starter down the road. -- McShay

I have finished game tape on QB's for the upcoming draft. As always my rankings are based PURELY ON GAME TAPE. I do not take into account off field issues, how they interview or anything else. Here are my top 10 QB's in the 2019 draft:

1) Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State:

Haskins has great size and a really good arm. He has some of the best medium depth accuracy I have ever seen. The ball is on time and in perfect position on almost every pass under 30 yards. Reads defenses very well. Goes through progressions. Kills soft zone and off man coverages. Climbs the pocket well and has excellent pocket awareness. Struggles with pressure up the middle. Long ball accuracy is good but he struggles with getting air under the ball on long throws. Mobility is good but not great.

Projected pick: Top Ten pick

2) Drew Lock, Missouri

Prototypical size and frame. Great arm. Excellent pocket awareness and climbs the pocket well. maintains accuracy under pressure. Increased his accuracy this past season. Good athleticism and can extend plays with his legs. Struggled against elite talent. He is a bit of a gunslinger and will take chances. Goes through streaks of missed passes. High balls low balls then gets back in sync. Needs work learning to read defenses. He stares down receivers at times which will cost him at the next level.

Projected pick: Top 20 Pick

3) Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

Small size and frame. Great arm. Excellent accuracy and can really push the ball down the field. Rises his game against better competition and is a gamer. Excellent pocket awareness yet struggles climbing the pocket and looks to run instead. Stares down receivers. Appears to go through progressions but the timing is slow. ELITE athleticism and can really hurt you with his legs. 

Projected Pick: Top 20 Pick

4) Daniel Jones, Duke

Excellent size and frame. Good arm. Decent accuracy. Good pocket awareness and climbs well.  Struggles with reading defenses. Struggles with accuracy on occasion. Good athleticism and can run. 

Projected Pick: Round 2

5) Will Grier, WVU

Smaller size and frame than prototypical. Decent arm but doesnt throw a lot of spirals. Good accuracy at all levels. Excellent at reading defenses pre snap yet struggles through progressions. Moves in the pocket well yet struggles with breaking down too soon. Doesnt handle pressure very well. Good athleticism.

Projected pick: Round 2

6) Brett Rypien, Boise State

Good frame but needs to bulk up some. Excellent arm and accuracy. Pure pocket passer and has good pocket awareness and mobility in the pocket. Can extend plays but has limited athleticism. Solid mechanics. Has a limited upside IMO. Stares down receivers and forces balls in. A dangerous combination at the next level. Struggles with deep passes outside the numbers. And takes A LOT of risks.

Projected Pick: Round 2/3

7) Tyree Jackson, Buffalo

Elite size and frame. Incredible arm. Great athleticism. He is going to need a TON of work at the next level. But what you have to work with here could be extremely scary. Struggles with accuracy due to his atrocious footwork. I would take the chance on drafting him simply because of his size and athleticism.

Projected pick: Round 3

8. Jordan Ta'amu, Ole Miss

Adequate size and frame. Good arm and accuracy. Struggles in the pocket at times and looks to escape too early. Struggles with progressions and reads on occasions. And makes bad decisions at times. Great athleticism.

Projected Pick: Round 3/4

9) Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Decent size, frame and arm strength. Good accuracy but struggles with intermediate routes on occasion. Excellent on schedule passer but struggles when the play breaks down. Poor pocket awareness and really struggles against the rush. Limited but adequate athleticism.

Projected pick: Round 3/4

10) Ryan Finley, NC State

Good size and frame but needs to bulk up some. Average arm. Struggles with deep and intermediate accuracy. Reads defenses well but struggles to get the ball there on time. Needs a lot of work on mechanics and struggles throwing on the run. Limited upside IMO.

Projected Pick: Round 4

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/senior-bowl-redskins-shopping-quarterback

Of course, Redskins team president Bruce Allen was anything but clear during his first media availability about the team's plans for 2019.

"Well, we don't have to make that decision right now. We have some time till free agency and obviously some time till the draft. I think Doug (Williams) and

his group will rank all the players and will try and build a winning team for 2019," Allen said when asked about Alex Smith's future.

"You have to appreciate these injuries from the players' perspective. Their dream is to get out on the field," Allen said. "Alex felt bad for Colt (McCoy's) unfortunate injury. Colt's gonna be ready to go at the beginning of the offseason program and I'm sure he's looking forward to competing for the starting job."

Hoffman said as much as Allen tried to obfuscate, Smith's future is very much a doubt.  

"They do not have a clue when Alex is going to play, they are planning, you know as much as Bruce tried to put up the front of...'We think he's gonna come back, he's gonna play again.' They don't know," Hoffman said. "They are proceeding as if they don't have a starting quarterback or that Colt McCoy is going to be their starting quarterback and that is not a long-term solution."

Bottom line, the Redskins are taking a long look at finding a new quarterback.

"They are scouting these quarterbacks hard, that's why they brought O'Connell down. They wanted O'Connell to be able to touch all of these guys before (the draft combine)," Hoffman said. "He wants to be able to really understand who they are as people and you get the better chance to do that down here and you start that process earlier."

"They are taking this quarterback thing seriously," Hoffman said. 

Keelan Doss (he’s at the Senior Bowl apparently) out of UC Davis.  6’3 206, solid speed, quickness and balance.  Nice hands - can win jump balls and make the diving catches (underthrows, comebacks, etc.).  Good marks for route running (can’t tell well enough in the cut ups), and intelligent - can play all 3 spots.  

233 receptions the last 2 years, 32 catches for 372 yards in their 3 FBS games.  Big time production obviously.  

Leader in the program - first on and off the field.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Keelan Doss (he’s at the Senior Bowl apparently) out of UC Davis.  6’3 206, solid speed, quickness and balance.  Nice hands - can win jump balls and make the diving catches (underthrows, comebacks, etc.).  Good marks for route running (can’t tell well enough in the cut ups), and intelligent - can play all 3 spots.  

233 receptions the last 2 years, 32 catches for 372 yards in their 3 FBS games.  Big time production obviously.  

Leader in the program - first on and off the field.  

Doss was the best route runner I saw in the Senior Bowl. Not the fastest WR but he gets separation because he's in and out of his breaks so smoothly.

4 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Doss was the best route runner I saw in the Senior Bowl. Not the fastest WR but he gets separation because he's in and out of his breaks so smoothly.

That’s good to hear, because as I said, I wasn’t sure about his route running. Saw a projection of 6th-7th round, but that just can’t be right considering his talent/skill set/production/size.  

Alex Wesley is another one I’m intrigued by.  Apparently blazing speed, but I’ve seen conflicting comments about his route running, from “raw”, to can run all the routes really well.  Comps to Will Fuller, but he likes to go up and get the ball.  Successful track and field guy.  Heard an interview and read one with his coach.  Came across as an intelligent, well spoken kid that has really matured through his stint at Northern Colorado.  He’s the player his coach is most proud of in his career.  

Assuming Reuben Foster doesn't ever suit up and make an impact for us, would an impact CB, FS, ILB, or pass rusher make the biggest impact on the performance of our defense? I keep thinking the 2019 draft is going to be one of those drafts where we pass over a potentially elite defensive player, to select an inferior offensive player that fills a need. There is just so much more defensive talent at the top of the draft. 

Watched the whole Senior Bowl, Jones getting the MVP -- way overrated his performance IMO, he was ok, mostly safe passes, a deep pass that floated some and he got lucky on an INT that was dropped.  But no QB really shined IMO.  I thought Lock played the best in terms of looking like an NFL QB.

I got to dive into it more.  My take right now.

3 franchise QBs in this draft:  Haskins, Murray, Lock.

I think I've seen enough to know I don't want Daniel Jones.  Heck I'd celebrate it if the Giants took him at #6.  I don't see anything that he does special aside from the fact that for a tall-big dude he scrambles better than you'd think he would.   I am not looking for some suave James Bond style charisma from my QB -- but it is the one position where personality matters.  You are leading the team.    I think you can live with a Josh Doctson type personality at WR but can you at QB?

Bruce Arians in his QB book, goes into excruciating detail about the mechanics he looks for in a QB.  But he also said the "it" factor in QBs is personality driven.   You want dudes with some personality that can set the tone for a team.  And Daniel Jones has to be the most bland, soft spoken, non-charismatic QB I've ever seen.  Not sure I've seen a soft spoken QB ever.  Eli is quiet but he doesn't come off that soft spoken to me.  Funny enough they went over Jones on the broadcast today saying he's more like Eli than Peyton's personality -- no kidding.  I'd call him a lower key-less charismatic version of Eli.  And while I know QBs who are on the quiet side -- i.e. Alex Smith but Alex is a funny engaging guy in interviews and I am sure that carries in the locker room.  I see nothing like that from Jones.   

Among other things I listened to Finley's interview with him where he had to say to Jones, I am assuming you aren't this soft spoken in the huddle?   I could ignore the dude's personality but that's the gravy for me.  I am out on the dude.  I don't see what the big difference is between him and Finley is who most say is at best a high end backup in this league.  Finley is maybe slightly more accurate.  Arm strength is similar.  Jones is more athletic.  Finley has more personality to him.  

As for the next tier.  2nd-3rd round.  I'd take a flier on Grier.  I like the dude's moxie and ability to move around the pocket and throw on the move.  I think his arm strength is fine.  I pause about him because of his inconsistency and the knock about his footwork.  Again maybe I am a bit bias right now about relying on Arians' take about judging QBs because I am in the throes of reading his book.  His thing is consistency of arm motion and feet work is one of the key things he values because it translates to accuracy and consistent play. 

After Grier, I'd take a flier in the later rounds in the late third-4th range on T. Jackson, Rypien or Stidham -- different reasons for each guy.  

On 1/25/2019 at 4:33 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Same here.  I definitely like Lock more.

I do not see first round arm talent with Jones.  I think the first round hype for him was bad draftnik groupthink based on him being big and athletic, but I think he's starting to come back down to Earth.  He's a second or third round talent IMO.

I think it's:

1 - Murray

2 - Haskins

bit of a drop

3 - Lock

huge dropoff

4 - Grier/Jones/Finley/Stidham, etc.

Murray, Haskins, and Lock are the only first round caliber QBs this season.

Lol. NFL scouts are saying Finley and Jones have looked better than any.

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I have finished game tape on QB's for the upcoming draft. As always my rankings are based PURELY ON GAME TAPE. I do not take into account off field issues, how they interview or anything else. Here are my top 10 QB's in the 2019 draft:

That's a lot of work, so kudos on that. But I'll point out you are projecting 10 QBs to be picked in the top 4 rounds. And I had to go all the way back to 1995 to find a draft with that many QBs picked in the top 4 rounds. A few came close, but most came no where near that total. i maintain that people are, in general, vastly inflating and overrating the draft value of most of these QBs. This isn't that great of a QB class. And it's certainly not the best in the last 20+ years. Odds are that only one of these guys becomes a bona fide NFL starter. And odds are heavy that guy is Haskins. Murray is the wild card. Everyone else is just a long shot. I really hope the Skins don't draft a QB in round one unless his name is Haskins or Murray. Even then it could easily not work out, but at least there's decent value. Everyone else is such a reach. If this team picks Daniel jones in Round 1, I'm out. That's a multi-year gaffe that'll take years to come back from.

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Assuming Reuben Foster doesn't ever suit up and make an impact for us, would an impact CB, FS, ILB, or pass rusher make the biggest impact on the performance of our defense? I keep thinking the 2019 draft is going to be one of those drafts where we pass over a potentially elite defensive player, to select an inferior offensive player that fills a need. There is just so much more defensive talent at the top of the draft. 

Obviously we could use a good player at any of the positions you listed.  While I’m inclined to prioritize them ILB (assuming, per your scenario, that Foster’s a no go), OLB, FS, corner, I think the draft is set up for us to go with OLB or corner in round 1.  At OLB, they have a chance at a real difference maker (as opposed to rolling with Anderson only), and while I like our corners, we could use a major player there (especially given Norman’s contract/future).  There should be some solid choices in that range for us, especially at OLB. 

White’s a possibility, but I think they hope for the best with Foster and look for a depth/developmental guy later in the draft.  

The exception to the above being qb (if a guy the staff loves is there) and G (if they opt for Ford as he’s probably the biggest catalyst of improvement short term).  I doubt they go with a TE (Hockenson) that early, though a TE that can help the ground game, be the successor to Reed, and serve as our rookie qbs best friend (whenever we wind up with one), is tempting.  The only safety projected in that range (Thompson) isn’t worth it at 15, IMO.  

The other wild card (IMO) is Metcalf.  Splashier selection and adds a needed talent infusion to the passing game.  Of course, his addition wouldn’t mean much if we don’t have a capable qb...

2 hours ago, wolfsire said:

Lol. NFL scouts are saying Finley and Jones have looked better than any.

In the Senior Bowl?  Maybe so, but that’s just one piece of the puzzle of course (and doesn’t include the underclassmen obviously).  

@clarkskin, per @Jericho‘s point, I’d probably bump your 6th qb and on down a round.  Did you get a chance to focus on McSorley?  I’d be curious to read your take on him.  I think he’s be a nice developmental qb to take over McCoy’s (natural) spot as our backup.  Wouldn’t cost much to get him and he wouldn’t be confused for our long term starter.  

Archived