Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

So you guys sold me on Polite a few pages back. 

As far as QBs go, as of right now, I like: Lock, Haskins, Murray, Stidham. Not in any order.

My current ideal draft scenario:

15: Polite

3rd round: Stidham.

Trajectory says the Auburn QB is probably a back-up. But he has good upside and could develop into more. Worst case scenario we have drafted McCoy's replacement most likely and haven't tied up a ton of resources in the QB. That will allow us to pursue another QB in 2020 or ride with the surprising Stidham. 2019 QBs would be: McCoy, Johnson, Stidham to start the season. If Stidham surprises you can either release Johnson, IR McCoy (you know he's going down for at least a few games), or just keep all three active all season.

Problem with Stidham is he looks like crap so far at the Senior Bowl. So I reserve the right to change my opinion considering the entire week. :)

Been watching a little more with Polite and doing more reading and the guy actually sets the edge pretty damn well for an edge rusher who specializes in dominating quarterbacks. He might actually be my favorite prospect in the draft at this point.

My scenario goes out the tubes if Polite is gone early. I don't have a back-up scenario yet though :P

On 1/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, dballer said:

Pratt won't be a sleeper after workouts and combine. He has great feel for the game...but he is also a physical freak.

And it begins....

Not a RB. Not a WR. A LB had the fastest speed during North practice today: 👀👀
Germaine Pratt (LB) - 20.4
Tony Pollard (RB) - 20.1
Terry McLaurin (WR) - 19.6
Karan Higdon (RB) - 19.4
Corey Ballentine (DB) - 19.3 #SeniorBowl @PackFootball @ZebraTechnology

1 hour ago, dballer said:

And it begins....

Not a RB. Not a WR. A LB had the fastest speed during North practice today: 👀👀
Germaine Pratt (LB) - 20.4
Tony Pollard (RB) - 20.1
Terry McLaurin (WR) - 19.6
Karan Higdon (RB) - 19.4
Corey Ballentine (DB) - 19.3 #SeniorBowl @PackFootball @ZebraTechnology

I know I keep harping on this, but we are talking about a LB that weighs 240 pounds and that NC state had line up outside and cover WR's against Clemson. He would change the defense. 

I think that the Redskins pretty transparently however aren't going to choose him. They probably are planning on starting Reuben Foster and SDH and think that is enough. They are going to predictably draft heavily based on need, as usual. Based on the following image, if you look at the numbers, we are looking at QB, WR, TE and OL before other positions. 

image.png.5080eb23b14b78d10fa889570a92678b.png

Also, I love Deebo. If we are looking at WR, maybe they will take a look there. I think Deebo goes late first though. This might sound like a funny thing to say, but I look at Deebo and he reminds me of the WR version of Jordan Reed. Excellent short area quickness. Able to get open quickly in the red zone. Physical. Better short area explosion than long speed. That being said, I think Deebo's long speed is fine. I think he's going to run in the 4.4's. 

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

There are tons of senior bowl participants that we haven't heard anything about. Oshane Ximines, Jaylon Ferguson, Germaine Pratt, Te'Von Coney, Johnathan Abraham. Any news for these guys?

I think I've heard Ximines has disappointed and Ferguson has been OK.  Somehow I didn't even realize Coney was there.

You know, these are Day 2 guys... theoretically.  Surprisingly not much in the way of mentions.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So you guys sold me on Polite a few pages back. 

Been watching a little more with Polite and doing more reading and the guy actually sets the edge pretty damn well for an edge rusher who specializes in dominating quarterbacks. He might actually be my favorite prospect in the draft at this point.

My scenario goes out the tubes if Polite is gone early. I don't have a back-up scenario yet though :P

Do yourself a favor and watch Ed Oliver as well. Get your popcorn ready.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

image.png.5080eb23b14b78d10fa889570a92678b.png

Also, I love Deebo. If we are looking at WR, maybe they will take a look there. I think Deebo goes late first though. 

Skins should be looking at all of those positions.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they are planning on using a first - third round pick on all of them.  But, if the Skins selected a TE, a WR and a OG with three of their first four picks I think most fans would be fine with that.  Add, an edge rusher in the top 4?  Hoorah!  Get a 2nd round rated DT with a new 4th round pick?  Even better.   Get your developmental backup QB in the 5th round.  Love it.  

Foster Moreau TE - I quickly skimmed some reviews on him.  He seems to be pegged as a potential blocking TE if he can be coached up to overcome his technical deficiencies.  High effort guy with limited athleticism.  Projected best use is as an extra blocking TE for goal line situations.

Trevon Wesco TE/FB - average production but he was used mostly as a blocker (he's listed at 274lbs).  Caught only 24 passes but he was targeted only 26 times.  Athletic and currently slotted as a Day 3 candidate.  It sounds like he would be an asset in the running game. 

I know I keep harping on this, but we are talking about a LB that weighs 240 pounds and that NC state had line up outside and cover WR's against Clemson. He would change the defense. 

Completely with you. He was effective as a safety until he physically outgrew the position. Some good defensive mind is going to have a field day with him.

Also, I love Deebo. If we are looking at WR, maybe they will take a look there. I think Deebo goes late first though. This might sound like a funny thing to say, but I look at Deebo and he reminds me of the WR version of Jordan Reed. Excellent short area quickness. Able to get open quickly in the red zone. Physical. Better short area explosion than long speed. That being said, I think Deebo's long speed is fine. I think he's going to run in the 4.4's.  

I think that's a good comparison.  Unconventional body types.  A little short for their roles.  But good strength, and as you say, tremendous twitch and lateral quickness.  He torches single coverage the way Jordan Reed does.  Crappy blockers.  Extend the comparison even further to the injury issues hurting his value.  When they are on the field, they're dynamic.  Capable of mismatching the big majority of defenders one on one.  But you also know they're going to miss five+ games a year.  One month they'll carry your whole offense, the next month they'll either be out or limited.  You have to kind of take what you can get from them and hope they're healthy at the end of the season.

Stumbled across Will Grier’s Boiler Room episode on Will Grier.  I’m more sold on Grier than I was.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/09/27/matt-waldmans-rsp-film-room-no-134-qb-will-grier-west-virginia-with-mark-schofield/amp/

I think his aggression and deep ball accuracy suit Gruden.  His ability to move in the pocket and scramble, as well as make quick decisions would be helpful behind our oline.  He throws guys open, which suits our receivers (especially Doctson) and Gruden, but he also recognizes the safer plays most of the time.  

Not perfect by any means, but I think he’s a nice fit for us - due to all of the above, but also because he doesn’t have the concerns we’d get with Murray (size), Lock (facing pressure), or Jones (throwing on the move).  In other words, I think he has a higher floor than these guys while still having a high ceiling.  

I confess, I’m not sure why he’s seen mostly as a 2nd-3rd rounder considering the qb prospects that have been drafted in the 1st over the years (even just looking at the Redskins).  Perhaps a part of it is a testament to the strength of this class (in general, not specific to qbs).  

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think that's a good comparison.  Unconventional body types.  A little short for their roles.  But good strength, and as you say, tremendous twitch and lateral quickness.  He torches single coverage the way Jordan Reed does.  Crappy blockers.  Extend the comparison even further to the injury issues hurting his value.  When they are on the field, they're dynamic.  Capable of mismatching the big majority of defenders one on one.  But you also know they're going to miss five+ games a year.  One month they'll carry your whole offense, the next month they'll either be out or limited.  You have to kind of take what you can get from them and hope they're healthy at the end of the season.

I worry a little less about Deebo's health. Once you have a demonstrated chronic foot problem, things often never resolve. Jordan is probably never going to be right. I think as a health comparison, Chris Thompson might be a better example. Fragile with multiple different bony and softy tissue injuries. The difference is, Thompson is tiny for his position. 

It's funny how little we've heard for Jaylon Ferguson at the senior bowl. Maybe he will drop. 

I think that all of the QB's at the senior bowl have dropped in my eyes. Maybe I take a shot on Finley in the 3rd or 4th. How high do you guys think Tyree Jackson is going to go?

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of which, I didn’t see any problem with his quote about Peterman that was posted earlier.  I mean, it was Peterman plus Pipkens, Dobbs, Webb, Beathard and Liufua in the Senior Bowl - saying Peterman was the best looking of the bunch (in practices no less) ain’t saying much, lol.    

Edit: the post I quoted was originally one of Finlay’s 2017 tweets (a dupe of one that someone posted earlier), so hopefully my post makes a bit more sense in that context, lol.   

Edit 2:  Ha!  I forgot the original reason I came in here - I’m thinking our 3rd round picks are pretty ideal spots to land a receiver and corner, assuming we don’t take one earlier. Class has solid/promising players slotted to go around there.  

Holy cow. Off-season really does change things. I was curious as to why Stidham had fallen off and kept reading how bad he playd this year. But he showed up in big games at the end of the year. And now there's talk of him being a top QB again?

senior bowl hype, or is this legit?

I mean, if Stidham legit goes ahead of Haskins ... I think there's a "Lock" Lock and Murray are there.

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Holy cow. Off-season really does change things. I was curious as to why Stidham had fallen off and kept reading how bad he playd this year. But he showed up in big games at the end of the year. And now there's talk of him being a top QB again?

senior bowl hype, or is this legit?

I mean, if Stidham legit goes ahead of Haskins ... I think there's a "Lock" Lock and Murray are there.

Yeah Stidham had a lot of hype before the season but fell off the map since with draft geeks.  Am not seeing anything though about him leapfrogging Haskins. 

According to some if was a bad week for Daniel Jones and Will Grier.  

I am in South Florida, and the Dolphins are as desperate as the Redskins to generate buzz especially at QB.  So doubting Murray gets past them.  

If we are going purely on buzz if the Redskins love Jones as some say they do, after the Senior Bowl he might be there at 15 for them. 

Looks like the big climbers in the draft purely based on the Senior Bowl are Sitdham and Tyree Jackson. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we are going purely on buzz if the Redskins love Jones as some say they do, after the Senior Bowl he might be there at 15 for them. 

Looks like the big climbers in the draft purely based on the Senior Bowl are Sitdham and Tyree Jackson. 

Giants, Jaguars, Broncos, Dolphins, Redskins

That is the order of teams in the draft who need a QB. Denver is probably not going to be as desperate as the others, but we'll see.

Haskins, Stidham, Jones, Murray, Lock

I think there's a guaranteed chance one of those players is at #15 for us. AND if we pass on QB there, there's a good chance no more QBs are drafted before we pick again in the 2nd, unless a surprise team emerges like the Saints takes a QB in the 1st. But that being said, I have to imagine we'd have a good shot at whoever falls from the 5 listed above with Grier and Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd.

Really wouldn't shock me if the Top 4 QBs of the above group go in R1 or early R2 and then there's a slide and the next batch starts going in the 3rd, which could include whoever falls from the above list out of the 1st.

Might set up nicely for us to go elsewhere in R1 and R2. Maybe get a Montez Sweat at 15 at EDGE and a WR like Samuels in the 2nd ... then go QB-Guard in the 3rd.

If the above tweets are true, it wouldn't surprise me if Giants went Stidham, Jaguards went Haskins, Broncos went Murray ... and then you'd have the Dolphins either taking Lock/Jones or passing on QB altogether. Meaning we have our choice of that QB at #15 or we pass. And then the Dolphins likely take whoever falls to R2 of those guys, and we may have another shot at the other in R2 ... or just wait until R3 and see if one falls to there. Will be an interesting process to follow.

Stidham intrigued me last year, but Im just not sold.

I've only seen some cutups, Tennesse & A&M tape, etc...

Pros: He is fearless in the pocket, with poor play design and receivers getting little to no separation. he trys his best

Arm strength and accuracy are average or better.

Deep ball/Fade seems to be very accurate

Cons: Made a couple of TERRIBLE interceptions that could of been pick 6's

Seems to sidearm "Flick" the ball with out much drive sometimes throws wide, hurts YAC

I certainly see the Tannehill/Cousins comp. Good, not great athlete, arm strength, and accuracy.

He can be hard to evaluate as he faced some brutal SEC defenses without great perimeter talent or play design.

Finley , Jackson & Grier are CLEARLY better QB's. No way you can take him in the top 60 picks.

I would trade back for another 3rd.

Draft the BLA (Best Oline/Dline/Pass Rusher available) in the 1st,

Deebo in the 2nd,

Jackson or Finley in the 3rd

BLA with other 3rd

Eason Stick in the 5/6th

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Giants, Jaguars, Broncos, Dolphins, Redskins

That is the order of teams in the draft who need a QB. Denver is probably not going to be as desperate as the others, but we'll see.

Haskins, Stidham, Jones, Murray, Lock

Some say the Bengals will release Dalton and join that club.   Denver is supposedly hot for Lock.  Other wild card is does the Cardinals HC who supposedly loves Murray takes him.  So there could actually be more joining the party. 

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think there's a guaranteed chance one of those players is at #15 for us. AND if we pass on QB there, there's a good chance no more QBs are drafted before we pick again in the 2nd, unless a surprise team emerges like the Saints takes a QB in the 1st. But that being said, I have to imagine we'd have a good shot at whoever falls from the 5 listed above with Grier and Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd.

Agree that #15 is likely the last spot in the first round going QB.  As for guaranteed one of those 5 will drop, not sure I agree.  But its certainly possible.  

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If the above tweets are true, it wouldn't surprise me if Giants went Stidham, Jaguards went Haskins, Broncos went Murray ... and then you'd have the Dolphins either taking Lock/Jones or passing on QB altogether. Meaning we have our choice of that QB at #15 or we pass. And then the Dolphins likely take whoever falls to R2 of those guys, and we may have another shot at the other in R2 ... or just wait until R3 and see if one falls to there. Will be an interesting process to follow.

I don't know if Stidham is hyped now to such a degree that he's a sure fire top half of the draft first rounder.  Just a couple of days ago he was often in the 3rd-5th rounds in mocks.  Not that mocks are the be all and end all but at least some of them are based on buzz they are hearing.   So for Stidham, I think we are about to see where he starts landing in the new round of mocks post Senior Bowl.  

I think Foles will be a wildcard -- which team chases him, etc.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some say the Bengals will release Dalton and join that club.   Denver is supposedly hot for Lock.  Other wild card is does the Cardinals HC who supposedly loves Murray takes him.  So there could actually be more joining the party. 

Agree that #15 is likely the last spot in the first round going QB.  As for guaranteed one of those 5 will drop, not sure I agree.  But its certainly possible.  

I don't know if Stidham is hyped now to such a degree that he's a sure fire top half of the draft first rounder.  Just a couple of days ago he was often in the 3rd-5th rounds in mocks.  Not that mocks are the be all and end all but at least some of them are based on buzz they are hearing.   So for Stidham, I think we are about to see where he starts landing in the new round of mocks post Senior Bowl.  

I think Foles will be a wildcard -- which team chases him, etc.

Obviously just pure speculation but I’m thinking Foles most likely ends up in Jacksonville considering they just hired his Qb coach from last year as their OC. And don’t forget Flacco is also going to factor into who drafts a QB this year 

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I keep seeing Deebo Samuel's name in here for our 2nd round pick... Personally, I don't see him making it out of the first round... He's too dynamic, makes all the plays, built like a racehorse. I'll be very surprised if he's there even in the late first.

Matt Miller from B/R came out and said he has a 1st/2nd round grade on him but would have a hard time seeing him go in the 1st. Said he might sneak in, but probably a 2nd rounder. We do pick in the middle of the 2nd, so I don't think we'd have a great shot at him either way ...

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Matt Miller from B/R came out and said he has a 1st/2nd round grade on him but would have a hard time seeing him go in the 1st. Said he might sneak in, but probably a 2nd rounder. We do pick in the middle of the 2nd, so I don't think we'd have a great shot at him either way ...

the athlete he is, he'll shoot up. Book it. He'll be a first rounder.

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Obviously just pure speculation but I’m thinking Foles most likely ends up in Jacksonville considering they just hired his Qb coach from last year as their OC. And don’t forget Flacco is also going to factor into who drafts a QB this year 

Good points actually. Now that I think about it, Jacksonville is the ideal landing spot for either Flacco/Dalton/Foles.

Foles to Jacksonville would make sense paired with a draft pick in the 4th or 5th round for them to groom is he doesn't pan out again.

Flacco and Dalton would be the type of QBs that a team would sign and pair with a 1st or 2nd round QB pick IMO. Of course, if Cincy drops Dalton, they're immediately shooting to the top of the rookie QB list.

Archived