Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

According to Dane Brugler, all 8 of the QB's have been so-so.  None of them have impressed, for every good throw they make there's another head-scratcher.  This is what he mentioned about Grier.

" West Virginia QB Will Grier (6-2 1/2, 218) has been up and down, making some gorgeous throws downfield, but then missing open passes underneath. "

It does make it seem like the gap between Jones, Grier, Lock, etc is closer than we thought.  But also the rumors as of a month ago that the QB class is weak looks true.

In other news, it seems like this OL class is better and deeper than people thought.  The CB class is scheme reliant, nobody close to a "shut down corner", but a lot of guys who could be really good on the right team/scheme.  Makes me want to draft a G and CB in rounds 2 and 3.  That leaves my dream of getting a legit all around TE for the #15 pick unless we trade down.

Fortunately a couple of his favorites are available:

A beautiful mind - those unfortunate eagles.

Not only is he clueless, but he’s not even honest. There are few humans less worthy of reference than JP. 

Jp, you knew 2 things:

Jack

&

🤫

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

According to Dane Brugler, all 8 of the QB's have been so-so.  None of them have impressed, for every good throw they make there's another head-scratcher. 

I wouldn't put too much stock in the takes about the QBs at the senior bowl practices.  QBs almost always struggle at it and it's rarely meaningful.  Ditto for the offensive linemen, where the defensive linemen usually have an advantage in drills.  There are a lot of people there covering the event, most of them are under pressure to generate content from it, and most of them do a poor job maintaining perspective about it.

TBH, most of the pre-draft process that starts with the shrine game and Senior bowl and goes throughout the pro-days is useless at best, distracting and confusing at worst.  It's nice to get standard measurements, get medicals, and meet the players in person and pick their football minds.  But a lot of the other stuff is noise.  I think that some teams could do a better job of evaluation if they tuned everything else out completely and just picked players based purely off of evaluations of their measurements, medicals, and film.

12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think there is going to be a ton of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year. How many 2nd/3rd round picks could we get if we dropped back from 15?

Granted, it's FanSpeak ... but it does tend to offer more realistic trades than other draft simulators ... In trade-down scenarios I've accepted only trades I find to be reasonable.

Going from #15 to #27 with Oakland and getting their early 3rd and 4th

Going from #15 to the Jags for their 2nd (#38) 3rd (#69) and 3rd (#95)

Scenario 1 gives the team 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7

Scenario 2 gives the team 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

wow.... that aint a good look. 

We've all had ****amamie takes that ended up being embarrassingly wrong.  The key is to learn from being wrong and not pretend like it never happened.  Player projection is an incredibly complicated process that ultimately boils down to having the experience and insight to make accurate gestalt comparisons between current unknown quanities and past known quantities.  It's hard because football is a complicated game.  There are a ton of ways to be a successful player and a ton of ways to fail.  I don't think I could capture and divine the NFL implications of every single one of the mechanical outcomes for a single player's actions on a single play, much less do so for that player's relevant football career prior to the NFL.  I think all you can do is watch everything you can, synthesize as much information as you can, learn from the experience and points of view of the people who do this well, try and see the patterns of success/failure that they see, and identify meaningful patterns of analysis of your own so that you can contribute your own experience and point of view to the task.  The last bit is important because even people who are super smart and good at this and who you completely trust will lose perspective from time to time.  It happens to all of us, including the experts working for NFL teams.

Also player projection is highly speculative.  Players fail for reasons that are impossible to foresee during the pre-NFL evaluation process.  We can't know a guy's future medical history.  We can't know what team/coach/system they'll end up playing for.

A bit of a combo of "Sr. Bowl Buzz" re: players met with (usually taken with grain of salt) and a little of the trade-down talk had me thinking what a good draft could look like if it happened today ...

*Trade 1.15 to NE for 1.31, 3.9 and 3.37

1.31: Marquise Brown, WR Oklahoma

2.14: Brian Grier, QB WVU

3.9: Beau Benzschawel, G Wisconsin

3.12: Garrett Bradberry, C NC State

3.32: Terrill Hanks, ILB New Mexico State

3.37: Carl Granderson, EDGE Wyoming

5.15: Lonnie Johnson, CB Kentucky

5.33: Renell Wren, DL Arizona State

6.32: Trevor Wesco, TE WVU

7.13: JoJo McIntosh, S Washington

Probably overkill on interior OL with 2 rooks but both have high ceilings at the next level. Overreach on Hanks and Granderson per Matt Miller's Big Board by about 2 rounds but given the buzz on both at Senior Bowl I wouldn't be shocked if they rise even above where I have them. The others are players Skins have met with or "fan favorites" in here as targets.

I've been watching some cutups of Lock's games today and I just don't see much beyond big arm talent and some good deep ball placement but there's and asterisk the latter. His accuracy and touch on deep throws is good as long as he has plenty of time in the pocket and isn't flushed. As soon as he gets pressured that accuracy seems to go way downhill. Same thing happens when he is flushed from the pocket. His accuracy is super on and off and you see the same thing if you look at his game stats. His comp % is all over the damn map. It definitely fell off a cliff when he played against teams with good defenses who got pressure on him.

That raises even more red flags to me when you take into account how good his protection was. Mizzou was #8 overall in the country in number of sacks allowed. Lock was only sacked 13 times in 2018 and only 11 in 2017...and he isn't some super freak athlete where you can explain it away by his elusiveness. He just had an excellent OL who usually gave him TONS of time to throw and you can see it when you watch the cutups. Compare that with Grier and Jones who both had some pretty crappy pass pro (Grier sacked 24 times in 2018 without a bowl game and Jones sacked 28 times including a bowl game) but who's accuracy didn't fall off of cliffs in games where they were sacked multiple times, especially Grier's. 

So to me one of the bottom lines on Lock is that he simply isn't used to pressure and his accuracy and play dips significantly when he faces it. Is that something that can be fixed? Maybe over time but there's no way to know. But I think he would be an absolute wreck if he went to a team that threw him into the fire immediately, especially if they had iffy pass pro. I say hard pass on Lock. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We've all had ****amamie takes that ended up being embarrassingly wrong.  The key is to learn from being wrong and not pretend like it never happened.  Player projection is an incredibly complicated process that ultimately boils down to having the experience and insight to make accurate gestalt comparisons between current unknown quanities and past known quantities.  It's hard because football is a complicated game.  There are a ton of ways to be a successful player and a ton of ways to fail.  I don't think I could capture and divine the NFL implications of every single one of the mechanical outcomes for a single player's actions on a single play, much less do so for that player's relevant football career prior to the NFL.  I think all you can do is watch everything you can, synthesize as much information as you can, learn from the experience and points of view of the people who do this well, try and see the patterns of success/failure that they see, and identify meaningful patterns of analysis of your own so that you can contribute your own experience and point of view to the task.  The last bit is important because even people who are super smart and good at this and who you completely trust will lose perspective from time to time.  It happens to all of us, including the experts working for NFL teams.

Also player projection is highly speculative.  Players fail for reasons that are impossible to foresee during the pre-NFL evaluation process.  We can't know a guy's future medical history.  We can't know what team/coach/system they'll end up playing for.

I agree completely... but to then act like it didnt happen?  At least make a little fun of yourself and say "Man I had that wrong" 

25 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I agree completely... but to then act like it didnt happen?  At least make a little fun of yourself and say "Man I had that wrong"

The Golic and Wingo school of sports punditry--we don't take ourselves too seriously, readily admit crap takes, and we're the best morning sports show in America.

The Clay Travis/Colin Cowherd school--I am comically self serious, deeply insecure about ever being wrong, and am a second rate hack.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Golic and Wingo school of sports punditry--we don't take ourselves too seriously, readily admit crap takes, and we're the best morning sports show in America.

The Clay Travis/Colin Cowherd school--I am comically self serious, deeply insecure about ever being wrong, and am a second rate hack.

It wouldn't have been as bad if he didnt come out and say he was there 2 years ago and knew then.. lol.  Why lie? 

34 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

It wouldn't have been as bad if he didnt come out and say he was there 2 years ago and knew then.. lol.  Why lie? 

If asked directly he'd probably split hairs and say "I said he was the best looking QB there, not that he was an NFL QB" or something. 

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Granted, it's FanSpeak ... but it does tend to offer more realistic trades than other draft simulators ... In trade-down scenarios I've accepted only trades I find to be reasonable.

Going from #15 to #27 with Oakland and getting their early 3rd and 4th

Going from #15 to the Jags for their 2nd (#38) 3rd (#69) and 3rd (#95)

Scenario 1 gives the team 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7

Scenario 2 gives the team 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7

Why the heck do most fans get focused in the current year and don't think about loading up in future years?

18 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Why the heck do most fans get focused in the current year and don't think about loading up in future years?

Too many picks in one year and you have to stash players on the practice squad.  Then they get poached.  Drop 2 spots and get a 4th round pick.  That's plenty.  

34 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Probably depends on how FA goes. Given it likely won’t go well, we will have quite a few roster spots. 

That being said the future picks are very common in real life just not so much in these simulators. 

I think an Extra 4 and a future pick would be nice.

problem I’ve been having with Fanspeak simulators is 15 rolls around and BPA isn’t necessarily a fit. Hence trading back a bit. But as was the case with Payne last year, more often than not you take your guy at your pick and don’t get cute. I know a lot on here had us taking Payne in late 1st after trading back and I think most didn’t **** cause we got a stud in r2 in a Guice even after trading back and adding a 3rd. 

I really like this TE class and adding another 2/3/4 is the only way I’ve been able to do it without blatantly neglecting another position. But as I said FA will clear up how many true needs we might have 

17 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Too many picks in one year and you have to stash players on the practice squad.  Then they get poached.  Drop 2 spots and get a 4th round pick.  That's plenty.  

Eh. Maybe. And this team has made due with enough late rounders and UDFA for me to appreciate you don’t need a ton of Mid round picks to build a roster out. But I do think in a draft deep in 3-4 positions of need having some extra 2s or 3s would be great. 

Reality is if we come out of this draft with a atarting WR, LG and QB we will be in good shape offensively ... at least on paper. And you hope some of your 5th and 6th rounders make impacts ala Hamilton

I just watched an interview with Lock, the dude is loose and funny, so I can see how some of the media is taken with him by his press conferences

http://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Senior-Bowl-Wednesday-Rumor-Mill

• Grier needed to interview well because he had a suspension at Florida that caused him to transfer. There also has been talk of him and his family being high maintenance, so for Grier to impress in the interviews was very good for his draft stock. The consensus is that Jones, Lock, Dwayne Haskins and Kyler Murray will get selected in the first round. However, there always could be room for a fifth signal-caller given the need at the position in the NFL. Many have graded Grier on Day 2, but he is in the running to be the fifth quarterback selected and these interviews could help him to rise in terms of where he is valued. 

• There were two quarterbacks who were said not to interview that well: Auburn's Jarrett Stidham and Washington State's Gardner Minshew. Sources said that Stidham and Minshew would not be classified as bad interviews, but they were moderately disappointed and not impressed with either Stidham or Minshew. 

Watching clips of deebo, tough not to love how slippery he is and has some serious moves to get open.

45 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I prey to God we draft Deebo for the name..a bonus if he pans out 

I like Docston better than most but the dude often struggles to get open.  Deebo's seperation skills seem sick.  Deebo is a different type of receiver than Beckham but one thing that comes off similar to him is the quick feet coming out of his breaks and he can quickly re-shift his feet where he goes for example right feigning an in route and then redirects left for an out route or whatever.  Great hands, shifty as heck, YAC guy, big special teams player -- concerns are top end speed and blocking apparently.   Got massive man crush on the dude now.    And yeah cool name, too.  🙂

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/24/senior-bowl-south-practice-takeaways-day-1-2/

Will Grier’s brutal week

Excluding Trace McSorley, no quarterback had a worse week than Grier. Even throwing on air, the mechanics were poor, accuracy was all over the place and his arm continued to look pedestrian. Grier can throw with some touch on vertical passes, but there are just too many issues in his game to get excited about him before day 3, at the earliest.

Gardner Minshew man…something about him. He’s not going to be a top 100 player for me and I don’t really like his tape, but he bounces back from bad throws to make good ones unlike a lot of the other quarterbacks in Mobile. I just wish he wasn’t so physically limited.

-What a week for Oklahoma guard Ben Powers. He’s looked better than Dru Samiathis week, although I had them flipped on tape. He’s been a wall in pass protection, something that is difficult to do in 1v1s.

Tyree making his case

In a week where no quarterback really stood out at an elite level, Buffalo quarterback Tyree Jackson still managed to help his stock a good bit. Everyone knew he had a cannon, but his accuracy also impressed all week long, leading to some impressive placement on throws he didn’t consistently make in college.

How Jackson plays in the game will be big, but on Thursday he was easily the most impressive of the South team quarterbacks. Not many quarterbacks are rising coming out of the Senior Bowl, but Jackson could see some bump.

Archived