stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

 

It's so hard to gauge their players because of how good everyone is around them. Everyone stands out it seems like every time I watch them. I want Tua when he comes out honestly, his pocket awareness and quick maneuverability around that general area is awesome. Reminds me of Russ and has a lot of talent. Alabama QBs do worry me though because many of them just never seem to develop properly. 

 

Mack Wilson to me in theory seems to be a good fit.  At the moment I doubt he's going to be in the top half of the first round so if they have a good season he might be available at their pick.  Devin White likely goes before him -- he might even go top 10. 

 

The dude is used by Saban rushing the A gap -- and sometimes like an OLB rushing C-D gap.  He also plays the traditional MLB role.   He is good in coverage and has some ball hawk skills.  Can probably play both Mike and Mo.  Calls plays.  Sean Dion Hamilton and him are super close for what that is worth if anything. 

 

Not hard I think to isolate Thompson playing free safety, he's all over the field.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dillon runs like Michael Turner.  Short-striding powerful steps.  I see a little Mark Ingram in the style too in the way he dances his way through the creases and cracks in the defense.  He's a stud.

 

BC's QB looks alright too.  That's a good offense and they're going to play Clemson tough.  Definitely the second best team in the Atlantic division.  Maybe the second best in the ACC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mock I just read, I admit I liked Doctson a lot -- that pick isn't looking hot right now.  I have watched the Old Miss receivers in multiple games.  Haven't watched Samuel but noticed he's getting some hype.

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/17/sikkemas-2019-mock-draft-version-2-0/3/

No. 21 – Washington Redskins

Pick: Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

As much as it pains me to admit this, Josh Doctson just isn’t the wide receiver I thought he was going to be when I scouted him years ago. That’s not to say he can’t have a place on this Washington offense, but they clearly need another guy to make plays.

Deebo Samuel is turning out to be one of the more polished, yet electric wide receivers in college football. He’s a player who has a vast amount of routes down, and could be an early contributor in the NFL because of it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to get a stud RB. Bryce Love would be an awesome pick up to replace Thompson and most likley Guice.

 

ACL injuries are career altering. Guice is at best a slightly above average RB after the ACL injury. I hope he comes back just as good, but don't hold out hope, so draft a stud RB.

Edited by zealoustuttle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zealoustuttle said:

Need to get a stud RB. Bryce Love would be an awesome pick up to replace Thompson and most likley Guice.

 

ACL injuries are career altering. Guice is at best a slightly above average RB. I hope he comes back just as good, but don't hold out hope, so draft a stud RB.

 

No offense, but I am glad you're not in the Redskins FO. This post almost seems like trolling.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

No offense, but I am glad you're not in the Redskins FO. This post almost seems like trolling.

 

Meant to say Guice is average at best *after ACL injury*.. i went back and edited. Clarified it for ya bud. Thanks for pointing it out!

Edited by zealoustuttle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A mock I just read, I admit I liked Doctson a lot -- that pick isn't looking hot right now.  I have watched the Old Miss receivers in multiple games.  Haven't watched Samuel but noticed he's getting some hype. 

 

Doctson was a talented prospect but he got a serious injury that cost him his rookie season and he fell way behind a normal development curve.  And now he's a vertical receiver playing for a QB that can't throw downfield.  Same issue for him as with the Paul Richardson signing. Tough to get targets when your QB never throws the high option unless you're running against a broken coverage.

 

Deebo Samuel is the only first round worthy WR I like so far, but I think any first round WR will be a wasted pick with Alex Smith behind center.  He can't get he ball outside the numbers or 15+ yards downfield.  We're better off picking literally any other every down position in the first round, including QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

Doctson was a talented prospect but he got a serious injury that cost him his rookie season and he fell way behind a normal development curve.  And now he's a vertical receiver playing for a QB that can't throw downfield.  Same issue for him as with the Paul Richardson signing. Tough to get targets when your QB never throws the high option unless you're running against a broken coverage.

 

Deebo Samuel is the only first round worthy WR I like so far, but I think any first round WR will be a wasted pick with Alex Smith behind center.  He can't get he ball outside the numbers or 15+ yards downfield.  We're better off picking literally any other every down position in the first round, including QB.

 

I've battled some of the Alex Smith is a Greek God clique on a bunch of threads most of the off season -- and some of them really dislike me for it  ? so I'll avoid attracting them onto this thread aside from saying yeah the difference in arm strength and approach between Kirk and Alex is very noticeable.  2 completions so far over 10 yards?

 

I do think Alex is tailor made for a ball control-run dominated offense.  So to that point and yours -- maybe OG if its flows with BPA and or a move the chains TE as security for Jordan's inevitable injury -- Noah Fant?

 

I was open to looking QB last draft, I definitely am this draft, too.  I saw someone joke on twitter about how Nick Bosa would look good in a Redskins uniform.  If they play the rest of the season like yesterday that might not be that far fetched. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do think Alex is tailor made for a ball control-run dominated offense.  So to that point and yours -- maybe OG if its flows with BPA and or a move the chains TE as security for Jordan's inevitable injury -- Noah Fant?

 

I was open to looking QB last draft, I definitely am this draft, too.  I saw someone joke on twitter about how Nick Bosa would look good in a Redskins uniform.  If they play the rest of the season like yesterday that might not be that far fetched. 

 

I think we'll stabilize to 8-8.  Which consequently, might put us in the natural range to draft a first round QB this year.  I think 9 of the first 10 picks will contain some order of Oliver, Bosa, Gary, Lawrence, Ferrell, Baker, Greedy Williams, Jonah Williams, and Dalton Risner.  I think a QB sneaks in there, and that the next tier of QBs will likely go in the teens.

 

But I don't see us drafting a QB.  Jay is all in on Alex Smith.  Their fates are tied together, he's not going to get another chance to start over at QB again.  So drafting a QB probably means we've got a new Head Coach and GM in place, and I'm not sure we're going to commit to that kind of change unless we bottom out.  And I think this team is just a bit too good to do that.

 

I don't really like the top QBs that much this year anyway.  Last year or the year before was the time to strike.  The moment we thought a long term deal with Kirk might not happen, we should have moved up to get a QB in the draft.  We could have absolutely gotten either Watson or Mahomes in '17 or Rosen in '18.

 

If we stay the course, and end up picking in the teens again, then I think the most impactful picks we could make would be having Risner or Jonah Williams fall to us.  Barring that, I like Devin White and Mack Wilson in that range.  I think we can make it work with Alex, but we're going to have to become absolutely loaded on defense and on the offensive line in order to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I think we'll stabilize to 8-8.  Which consequently, might put us in the natural range to draft a first round QB this year.  I think 9 of the first 10 picks will contain some order of Oliver, Bosa, Gary, Lawrence, Ferrell, Baker, Greedy Williams, Jonah Williams, and Dalton Risner.  I think a QB sneaks in there, and that the next tier of QBs will likely go in the teens.

 

But I don't see us drafting a QB.  Jay is all in on Alex Smith.  Their fates are tied together, he's not going to get another chance to start over at QB again.  So drafting a QB probably means we've got a new Head Coach and GM in place, and I'm not sure we're going to commit to that kind of change unless we bottom out.  And I think this team is just a bit too good to do that.

 

I don't really like the top QBs that much this year anyway.  Last year or the year before was the time to strike.  The moment we thought a long term deal with Kirk might not happen, we should have moved up to get a QB in the draft.  We could have absolutely gotten either Watson or Mahomes in '17 or Rosen in '18.

 

If we stay the course, and end up picking in the teens again, then I think the most impactful picks we could make would be having Risner or Jonah Williams fall to us.  Barring that, I like Devin White and Mack Wilson in that range.  I think we can make it work with Alex, but we're going to have to become absolutely loaded on defense and on the offensive line in order to do it.

 

Yeah its pretty much where i am at.  I predicted them to go 9-7.   i am presuming yesterday was an aberration -- that version of the team I think could lose to anyone.  I haven't dived at all into the QBs yet.  I did last January when I thought there was a chance pre Alex Smith trade.

 

Yeah I like what I've seen from both Mack Wilson (who I've talked some about on this thread) and Devin White.  I think MLB is an underrated need on the team too - especially one who can cover. 

 

I gather he's redundant with Guice and Thompson on the roster but had a man crush on Bryce Love last year -- still have it now and i bet he's available at our pick. 

 

Looking like a good draft for corner and presuming they let Norman go wonder about whatever corner falls if they are BPA, Deandre Baker?

 

Listening to some of the beat guys, not sure Jay and the people in the FO survive an 8-8 type season.  So they indeed might hit reset in that case.

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jared Cook would be a good free agent pick-up for TE, tbh. Dude can still ball at 31. Really looks more physical now than ever before. I haven't looked at our expiring contracts yet, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at Kiper's new big board

 

1. Bosa

2. Oliver

3. D. White (thats the highest I've seen him on boards thus far)

4. Ferrell

5. Gary

6. D. Lawrence

7. G. Williams

8. J. Williams

9. J. Simmons

10-. D. Baker

 

Mack Wilson, just now, with a diving interception that I got my doubts that any of our wide receivers can make.  Imagine having a ball hawk MLB -- what a change that would be.  He's my choice at the moment if we are sticking with Alabama guys early in the draft or if not him Deionte Thompson.

 

Metcalf with another highlight TD catch.  Can catch the jump ball, good seperation skills -- and also has the rep as being a good blocker.    If they same people remain in charge of the FO and they mostly avoid like the plague upgrading in FA -- I bet we have another need driven draft and WR is happening in round 1 or 2.  Metcalf, Brown, Harry, Samuel, etc.

 

  1. DK Metcalf just keeps making big plays. Starting to like him more than AJ Brown at WR

    5 replies2 retweets31 likes
     

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

DK Metcalf just keeps making big plays. Starting to like him more than AJ Brown at WR

 

I definitely like him over Brown.  Not a big Brown fan at all.  He's slow and not particularly athletic.  Gonna have issues separating in the NFL.  Metcalf at least has special athleticism.

 

So far the only first round WR I really like this year has been the kid from South Carolina.  I wouldn't mind Metcalf if we were drafting a lot later in the first than I anticipate, but nobody else has really blown me away.

 

I also don't love the value we'll get from the WR position with Alex Smith at QB.  Doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of resources on some stud outside wide receiver when our QB can't get him the ball outside the numbers.  We're already wasting a recent former first round pick at the position as is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My boy Baker Mayfield already getting the ship turned around in Cleveland.

Some people questioned taking Mayfield no 1, and even more ppl questioned taking ward no 4. Those picks had gmsm written all over it. Like the scherff pick, he doesn't care about what the critics say, if he feels it's the right guy, he is gonna take him.  He doesn't always nail his picks, but I admire his guts and think all in all he is one of the best talent evaluators around. I hope Mayfield and gmsm succeed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, jbird said:

Right now (Prior to the start of the season) I see our biggest needs as:

 

1- OG (We need a quality starter)

2 - CB 

2 - TE

3- WR

4 - LB 

5 - DE

 

This season's performance & injuries will dictate the priority going into the draft, but I see our holes as being:

OG - Obvious glaring need. BTW - WHERE ARE THE NAYSAYERS THAT SAID YOU DON'T DRAFT A LINEMAN #5 OVERALL!?!?!? Can you imagine if we had another scrub on the Line at RG? Our interior line would be shambles. We need another fantastic Lineman @ LG and we have the makings of a very quality line.  Even if someone emerges, we need depth in the pipeline.

 

CB - The thinking behind this is thusly... I LOVE Quinton Dunbar. Great story, and more importantly his performance has deserved this opportunity. I love Fabian M. Great story and comeback from injury. I still like Norman, but this is a lot of $$ to tie up in a player that has given slightly above avg performance. I love the attention that has been paid to back-up and the potential in Danny and Adonis, but will this crew develop a true #1? Possibly, but that is a lot of gamble on the table. If Norman does not have a monster season, it may be  time to cut bait and start building.

 

TE - This changes only if Reed performs at a very high level for 16 (or more) games this season. He gets injured and misses more than 7-8 quarters and he would have to perform at an All Pro level for the remainder 14 games. He misses more than 9 quarters of football and I am drafting his replacement. Love him, but he has to put up. If a monster- can't miss prospect is there in the first 1-3 rounds, welcome to the team. If Reed performs, and Sprinkle shows continued growth, then I am looking  a late round 3rd TE prospect in case VDavis hangs it up after this season.

 

WR - This position is 100% dependent on this season’s performance. I love the POTENTIAL in Sims, Quinn and Harris. This could be an amazing #1,#2 and #3 trio for years to come. We could also face a reality where Doc is injured by an errant newspaper and misses 18 games this season, Richardson eats too many ham sandwiches and pulls a hammy, Crowder leaves town for a huge payday because he caught 97% of Alex Smith’s passes and gained 800 yards. Harris catches 1 highlight reel catch every other game and drops 5 passes every game. Sims turns into a tall ham sandwich, and Quinn retires because he realizes the best use of his HUGE Mitts is in fingernail polish commercials. J Seriously, there is a lot of injury potential, and disappointment potential in this squad, and we may need a quality #1 or #2 receiver next year. (Hopefully this is the emergent season of the new fun bunch!)

 

LB – Will Zach Brown continue to be the most undervalued ILB in the league? Will Kerrigan continue to be the most underrated OLB in the league? Will Foster continue to play at a higher level than anyone expects? Which version of Preston Smith will show up this season? Will one of the backups emerge? A lot of questions.

 

DE – Love the current line, but we need to keep drafting depth and potential.

thanks for the summary.  Just what I was looking for.  It seems there might be a few guards in the second or third round.  I am thinking a bit of drafting offensive tackle first- and slopping Williams to guard.  I worry how long he will last and we will need a quality left tackle probably in a few years and if he does stay healthy our guard problem is solved.  looks like there are some decent second or third round QB's that will probably move up the first round.  Would not draft a RB early, still have confidence in Guice and hopefully Perrine will pick it up and stop fumbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

also don't love the value we'll get from the WR position with Alex Smith at QB.  Doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of resources on some stud outside wide receiver when our QB can't get him the ball outside the numbers.  We're already wasting a recent former first round pick at the position as is.

Alex got the ball down field last year with THill.  I think it’s hard to blame Alex for not getting the ball down the field when he’s trying to throw to guys who just can’t seem to get separation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Alex got the ball down field last year with THill.  I think it’s hard to blame Alex for not getting the ball down the field when he’s trying to throw to guys who just can’t seem to get separation.

Literally anyone could throw to Tyreek Hill. Smith just isn’t a good QB, period.

 

I suggest we look at Justin Herbert real hard. It’s never too early to draft a talented young QB especially when your current starter isn’t bringing you anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Alex got the ball down field last year with THill.  I think it’s hard to blame Alex for not getting the ball down the field when he’s trying to throw to guys who just can’t seem to get separation.

 

He was still captain check down last season.  All that yardage per attempt that people are touting from his last season as evidence he can throw the ball down field and outside the numbers was from catch and runs.  He wasn't throwing the ball downfield.

 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2017/all#average-air-yards-differential

 

He was 37th out of 41 QBs tracked in this air yards differential stat.  They calculate it as an average of the air yards intended minus air yards completed.  It's a measure of how aggressively they push the ball downfield.  Alex's differential indicates he didn't push the ball downfield.  He was 33rd of 41 in average air yards per attempt with just 7.4.  And interestingly enough, next gen stats also tracks the aggressiveness of QBs by calculating how often they threw into windows where a receiver had a man within a yard in coverage on him.  Alex Smith was the 3rd least aggressive QB in the NFL last year out of the 41 QBs they tracked.

 

Even when surrounded by all of that elite talent in the KC offense last season, Alex Smith did not throw the ball downfield.  He does not have the arm to push it or challenge DBs deep.  The difference between Smith and Patrick Mahomes for KC's offense is night and day.  This season Smith is once again near the bottom of the league in air yards per attempt and Mahomes is first in the NFL with over twice as many air yards per attempt.  It's the difference between a QB with the talent to take the high option on high-lows whenever he wants and one that doesn't, and the result has been that Mahomes has taken the ceiling of KC's offense up several notches.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.