Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

12 minutes ago, Antzo said:

The thing that might intrigue the Redskins the most about Haskins is his local ties...his family moved to Potomac when he was in 9th grade (from NJ). I'd personally love for him to be the next Redskins QB but as previous posters said we are in no position giving up a kings ransom (again) for a QB at this time. I think we should use our draft resources on other positions of need and sign a FA QB like Tyrod Taylor or Blake Bortles. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. You literally just suggested taking Blake Bortles. Maybe Tua looks better than Haskins. Maybe. But I don't think anyone else does. What are the odds the cost will be any lower to take Tua or Lawrence in 2020 or 2021, or that our roster is any more ready. 

Please, please, please, don't let us go into next year and suffer a whole year of Blake Bortles QB play. Can we sign Nick Foles? Draft Will Grier? Do anything to make the QB position relevant. 

One of my biggest hopes for this year is that we draft players with a history of staying healthy. 

Also, is an OL of Williams-Cody Ford-Roullier-Scherff-Moses the best in the league. I think probably so. And Ford could flex out to tackle when one of those guys inevitably goes down. 

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Please, please, please, don't let us go into next year and suffer a whole year of Blake Bortles QB play. Can we sign Nick Foles? Draft Will Grier? Do anything to make the QB position relevant. 

But I think this mentality is the reason the Redskins have done so poorly over a 25 year span.  Snyder always wants the quick fix, and it rarely comes with getting good value.  The overpaying for the quick fix hurts the long-term development of the roster. 

Being the worst team in the league in a year there is a franchise QB coming out isn't a bad thing.  Ask the Colts.  I would be perfectly ok with going 0-16 in 2019 if it meant Trevor Lawrence is a Redskin in 2020, and we didn't have to mortgage the farm to get him.  Use the 2019 draft to fill in holes everywhere else, particularly on offense: LG, TE, WR and o-line depth.  Then our QB can step into a much better supporting cast. 

Really like what I’ve seen from Jaquan Johnson - Miami S.  A bit undersized at 5’11, 195, but he plays smart and with good effort.  Solid speed and very goodball skills - can play centerfield or man up.  Comes downhill in a hurry, wraps up pretty well, willing to take on blockers larger than him and surprisingly, he’s pretty good at it.  Effective in the box or near the LOS.  Takes good angles, quick to diagnose and makes sound decisions.  

With Lamar Jackson doing what he's doing, wonder if it adds to interest in Tyree, he's raw, but can run and has a cannon. 

And unlike Lamar, this dude is a tank. 6"7, almost 250 pounds, super sized hands, etc.   He doesn't seem like Jay's type of QB.  But if they intend to draft a QB, the more that enter the merrier.  I guess we will find out about Murray soon.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I completley agree!  Plus, next years quarterback draft class will have much better options than this years.

If Haskins busts, we would definitely be set very far back. I don't think next year's class has anyone better than Haskins, other than Tua. I don't think Herbert is better. He has multiple seasons of tape, none of them as good as what Haskins has put out. 

I wonder what the opposite intellectual argument is. If Haskins is going to be a multi-year pro bowl QB, what would the board give up for him? 

I wish we hadn't won that one extra game. So much easier to at least grab a pass rusher or CB in that case. 

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

So much easier to at least grab a pass rusher or CB in that case. 

I am glad you mentioned pass rusher because Preston Smith is likely gone and I don't think Ryan Anderson has the explosiveness off the edge to be a difference maker as a pass rusher (insert FB joke).  I would rather address LG before drafting a CB in this years draft as well.  Outside of quarterback, I consider OLB, LG, FS/SS, CB and WR our greatest needs.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am glad you mentioned pass rusher because Preston Smith is likely gone and I don't think Ryan Anderson has the explosiveness off the edge to be a difference maker as a pass rusher (insert FB joke).  I would rather address LG before drafting a CB in this years draft as well.  Outside of quarterback, I consider OLB, LG, FS/SS, CB and WR our greatest needs.

I agree 100% except for LG. You can get a very good LG in the 3rd or 4th round. Occasionally that is true about a CB, but the elite guys are more reliably found up higher. Definitely, we need a LG more than we need a CB. 

I'm honestly not sure Ryan Anderson would be any worse than Preston Smith. Maybe he wouldn't set the edge as well. 

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Taking a talented QB prospect who only has 1 year of production as a #1 overall pick is a pretty risky move. Trading up from #15 to #1 and taking the same guy is raw, unpasteurized lunacy. 

I mean technically he has one year of production but anyone who has  followed Haskins' career trajectory knows it wasn't a fluke.

Now the trading up aspect is a legitimate concern. I'd still do it but I understand where you're coming from.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

If Haskins busts, we would definitely be set very far back. I don't think next year's class has anyone better than Haskins, other than Tua. I don't think Herbert is better. He has multiple seasons of tape, none of them as good as what Haskins has put out. 

I wonder what the opposite intellectual argument is. If Haskins is going to be a multi-year pro bowl QB, what would the board give up for him? 

I wish we hadn't won that one extra game. So much easier to at least grab a pass rusher or CB in that case. 

Next year probable eligibles also include Fromm and Jacob Eason.

Eason is actually eligible this year, but he hasn’t played in almost two seasons, so he’s gonna want to put some tape up at Washington next season. Barring injury, I think all four of these guys could be top 10-15 picks.

Also, if we knew a guy was going to be a multiple time all-pro, we’d obviously trade the farm for him. Problem is, NOBODY knows that, highly rated guys fail all the time.

We have a mediocre track record with 3rd round LGs. I guess Spencer Long panned out and it netted us a 5th round comp for this draft. But Kiansjiao never panned out. I’d rather get the sure-thing all-pro caliber at 15 and call it a day. But I understand if we opt to wait to take one in the 3rd. Just less of a sure thing and usually needs a year to get acclimated. 

Also, Ryan Anderson could very well be fine opposite Kerrigan. He was admittedly a bit raw coming out and needed a year or so to reach potential. He could be a beast next year or be “good enough”. I’d be he will be at least “good enough” but it would be hard to pass up “beast” if there’s one in the draft. Also let’s not forget the mentality of never having too many pass rushers. Assuming we lose Preston, we are going to need a 3rd high level rusher and unless we can get one in FA (unlikely without breaking the bank) I would expect us to use one of our first 4 picks on edge. Simply because we need a 3rd rusher. If we go EDGE in the 3rd then it’s probably Anderson starting next year. If we go EDGE in the 1st there’s a good chance they are gonna be expected to start with Anderson the 3rd guy. I’m okay either way but def think we have to add someone early simply because we need a 3rd rusher regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We need everything but DL. Anyone is upgradable 

I still think Safety gets addressed in FA. And I think we probably end up bringing back Crowder. Meaning we can still address WR but not necessarily have to focus on SWR in the draft. Also probably some veteran depth on defense at either CB or ILB. Otherwise I think we go into the draft in prettt good shape. 

LG, Edge, WR, QB with first 4 picks and CB/ILB/TE as possible picks with our 5th rounders. 

Probably a best case is a DL run early and trading back to get into the 20s. Add a 2 or a 3/4 and draft a LG there.

Ford would likely be a good pick at 15 and a stud but I also think there’s 3-4 Guards who can plug and play and get taken in the late 1st to mid-2nd 

RG3 2.0 no thanks. When was last time we drafted a real franchise QB ?

First we better make sure we have a very good scouting department (or improve it) from top to bottom before gambling on a QB. Then make sure that Danny boy will stick his fingers out of the cookies jar which is a long shot :P

I think need and BPA will collide well in the first through third rounds -- pass rush, TE, WR, OG.   And also good corners but not a ton of depth.  Very good draft on all counts at those positions -- some question WR and I agree in that you don't have the Julio Jones types but really good depth it looks like in the first and 2nd.

Right now, I'd skip QB unless a surprise falls into our laps.  Heck WR looks really insane next year.   But so many permutations could work here ie:

1.  Cody Ford OG

2. Irv Smith TE

3. D. Walker Edge

3. Parris Campbell WR

1. Jachai Polite or Brian Burns edge

2. Deebo Samuel WR

3. Dru Samia OG

3. Caleb Wilson TE

1. DK Metcalf WR or Marquise Brown WR

2. Chris Lindstrom OG

3. Christian Miller Edge

3. Kaden Smith TE

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I was talking paying a king's ransom not skillsets ;)

So what's the "when was the last time we drafted a real franchise QB" sentence next referring to? Seemed like your objection was to Haskins (because you thought he was RG3 2.0) specifically rather than to trading up. 

I mean I'm open to the idea Haskins isn't a franchise QB worth trading the future for, for sure. I'm skeptical of him. Just seemed like he reminded you specifically of RG3 and I didn't see that. 

Tyree Jackson as a ball of clay to mold in the 2nd or 3rd is kind of appealing. Decent thread going through his skill-set here. It's recency bias for sure but I see some Josh Allen here, and I'd expect the right NFL team to get a lot more out of him. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So what's the "when was the last time we drafted a real franchise QB" sentence next referring to? Seemed like your objection was to Haskins (because you thought he was RG3 2.0) specifically rather than to trading up. 

I mean I'm open to the idea Haskins isn't a franchise QB worth trading the future for, for sure. I'm skeptical of him. Just seemed like he reminded you specifically of RG3 and I didn't see that. 

Referring to the inability/incompetence/snyderism to select this kind of QB for decades. I really wish this drought will come to an end, probably with a bit of luck in the later rounds who knows ?

Archived