Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone.  ****, I'll do it.  This draft class will suck for QB compared to 2020.  Get a foundation guy this year, suck, then go QB in 2020 with out top 3 pick.

Just because the class overall sucks doesnt mean their arent franchise QB's in this draft class. The four I listed all have a chance to be one.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Just because the class overall sucks doesnt mean their arent franchise QB's in this draft class. The four I listed all have a chance to be one.

And what oline would that person play behind?  Who would he throw to?  Etc.......

The best QB in the world won't help when the other 52 suck.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

And what oline would that person play behind?  Who would he throw to?  Etc.......

The best QB in the world won't help when the other 52 suck.

We were 7-9 with our entire OL decimated by injuries and playing our 4th QB. You act like we were 1-15 or something. There is talent on this team. Richardson, Doctson, Guice and Thompson will all be here next year. This roster isnt as abysmal as you make it out to be.

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone.  ****, I'll do it.  This draft class will suck for QB compared to 2020.  Get a foundation guy this year, suck, then go QB in 2020 with out top 3 pick.

Yep. 100% my plan too. We need to blow it up. Trade our aging high contract guys for whatever we can get - accept that we will go 1-15 next season and then come out of it with a top 3 pick and a boatload of cap space. There's no point trying to turn what we have got into contenders with the poor draft spot and Alex Smith cap penalty hanging over us. We need a reset season. At best we can go 500 again next year and be in exactly the same position yet again next off-season. Keep doing the same things, you keep getting the same results. Time to burn it down.

11 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was back and forth on this point previously but now am on board with this considering that Herbert is coming back and if he develops, you got three potential studs in him, Tua and Fromm.  Maybe Eason, Costello, etc.

I don't think they look at it that way though.  Jay said last night they are close.  In his defense he has to sell that and think that.  More importantly, beat guys are saying Bruce is selling Dan they are close.

So I am presuming they are in a go for the kill mode.  But (and this is coming from someone who has liked the roster the last three years and was optimistic) I think they might walk into a tank season even though they don't intend to do it.

Unlike Jay, I don't believe in Colt.  Letting DJ go, Clinton-Dix I hear is likely gone, Nicholson's future is up in the air -- so now it looks like we are back to old times with one of the worst safety situations in the league.   Beat guys think Preston is gone.  Not sure Anderson is the solution there even though he's good against the run.  Looks like they have to find at least one MLB.

TE might be a do over for cap reasons.  If they get rid of Norman as some say is going down -- the secondary is already thin.  They need a LG.  Trent and Moses of late seem to breakdown during the season.  They need a #1 receiver.

They got to do all of this with Bruce stuck mostly on signing bargain basement FAs and this time has little cap room to do it with.

I trust Kyle if he's still here (some say he might leave if offered a promotion) to do the best he can with our draft picks.  But I think this time the boat has too many leaks to try to patch up and managing pro personnel becomes more important than usual and IMO we mostly stink at managing pro personnel even though they are good at college personnel.

That's my long winded way of saying they might work their way to suck for 2020 and get there unintentionally.  Doubt they can pull off though a 3-13 kind of season.  But at the moment unless they surprise me this off season it feels like a 5-11 season.

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We were 7-9 with our entire OL decimated by injuries and playing our 4th QB. You act like we were 1-15 or something. There is talent on this team. Richardson, Doctson, Guice and Thompson will all be here next year. This roster isnt as abysmal as you make it out to be.

The roster will be on crutches again by the time October 2019 rolls around

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

How about the defense healthy all year and it was also garbage against any team with a pulse. Neither Doctson or Richardson are #1 WRs.  Thompson and Reed are made of glass that's why they were on pitch counts all year.

Offensive line is getting older and can't stay healthy. Guice hasn't played a snap. So we dont know if he'll be good or not. 

Starting QB had 10 TDs and 5 INTs before getting hurt for the year. Take off the burgundy colored glasses and you'll see this team sucks. 

Swiss cheese should be called Redskin cheese, because they have about the same number of holes. Not to mention our GM and head coach are bums. Hired by the biggest bum of all. 

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I hate to say it but I am taking the best QB available when we pick in the first. With Smith's debilitating contract we cant afford to sign a free agent like Bridgewater. We have to take a QB in round one so we can have that 5th year option. I havent started looking at film yet so I havent ranked the QB's yet. But if Haskins comes out he may be there at 15. If not I would be fine with Grier, Lock or Jones there as well. We have to add affordable talent at the QB position.

Personally id take a QB on either day 1 or day 2 of both the 2019 and 2020 drafts. It's shocking that we have had 5 players through a pass this season, and the only one aged less than 32 was our punter.......

I do disagree on the premise that we can't afford to sign a QB though. We are about to purge half a dozen contracts, DJ was the first one. We'll have upwards of 50mil in cap space come free agency. I can see Jay wanting AP, maybe Crowder, back. The rest can go, including Preston Smith. Someone is going to overpay him badly.

My God, if Jay actually thinks we are close to contending, as is implied, imagine if they roll with McCoy, or go after Flacco. I would not discount that. 

Whatever we do, sadly I thinking we will struggle to get any better than half a dozen wins next season anyway. Only good thing there would be another season of crap forces positive change, however I question that is even an option these days.

When trying to decipher what the team is going to do, I would say they have always been pretty transparent. We need a QB. They can't go into next season with empty seats and so little fan excitement. They are either going to draft a QB, or sign a FA. 

Also, it sucks how much better Cleveland is than we are. 

15 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

My dream, Devin White falls to us. If not Mack Wilson.

We have no speed on D. Think Brown and Foster are both gone next year. Haven't had that true leader on the D since Fletcher retired. Teaming up one of these guys with Allen and Payne would be great.

Get the QB in 2020.

I find Mack Wilson underwhelming. Devin White is probably going higher than 15, based on mocks, not my evaluation of his talent. 

I only watched the beginning of this game highlight and also wasn't impressed with Devin White's instincts. 

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well it has been a while since we mortgaged the future for a subpar QB.

I don't understand. Devin White is a LB. How is that comment relevant. I'd love a LB with speed. I'm not sure how big of an upgrade those two are for their projected draft slot. And, one of the only times out future has looked bright was when RGIII was killing it before his injury. He was never the same after the injuries. Maybe the league would have caught up anyway, but regardless, if you swing and miss on a QB, at least you tried to get one. If you sign Alex Smith, you are planning on never winning the SB. The Bears and Eagles traded up for their QB's, at significant cost. It costs draft capital to get a QB. 

Just for the record, I'd be fine with us planning to get a QB in FA, or next year. I just don't really see Herbert or Fromm as being better than Haskins necessarily. If we want to plan to get our QB next year, I'd be in favor of trading this year's first for a first next year, so we have ammunition to move up. I doubt we'll be picking top 5 next year. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Meant to say player.  But then my mind started thinking about how the last one was QB and ended up typing that.  Whatever.  You get the point.

Got it. I agree that if you give a lot to go up for a QB, you need to love him. It’s sets you back a long ways if he doesn’t pan out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/nfl-playoffs-always-include-some-duds-quarterback-not-this-year/?utm_term=.09e0c3f9ee09

where do the draftnikshere see Paris Campbell getting drafted? 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I do disagree on the premise that we can't afford to sign a QB though. We are about to purge half a dozen contracts, DJ was the first one. We'll have upwards of 50mil in cap space come free agency. I can see Jay wanting AP, maybe Crowder, back. The rest can go, including Preston Smith. Someone is going to overpay him badly.

My God, if Jay actually thinks we are close to contending, as is implied, imagine if they roll with McCoy, or go after Flacco. I would not discount that. 

I think we are boxed into that mindset if the whole gang returns -- according to people covering the team that's what Bruce is selling behind the scenes and Jay said the same yesterday.  Now in their defense they'd have no choice but sell that to return so its on Dan's stupidity to go all in that 2019 season is their year.

If you recall last year it was the same tune, the notion that it was a great team but just foiled by injuries.  Doug telegraphed how they'd draft by need with a focus on D line and RB.

I'd put money the same mindset this team with the talk of OG, WR -- and maybe pass rusher.

If the idea is to win now, signing some monster on the D line like ford or Rasner might be the ticket if they resign Peterson.  You'd then have a monster D line with RBs -- Peterson, Guice, Thompson.  What works with either Ford and Rasner is they can also play RT if need be.

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

They were 1-6 with the OL decimated and playing backup QBs.

The best trade partner imo would be with the Raiders. If we could swing a trade we could get the lowest of their 2018 1sts and the 2020 1st for pick 15#. Then I'd turn right around and try to trade that 1st for for an early 3rd and another 1st in 2020.

What round could the Redskins possibly draft Ryan Findley the QB from NC State? If the redskins could get him in the second or third round that would be a good deal. This way the Redskins could get a rookie contract for the QB position and he could either compete for the starting job or be groomed.

7 minutes ago, Gallen5862 said:

What round could the Redskins possibly draft Ryan Findley the QB from NC State? If the redskins could get him in the second or third round that would be a good deal. This way the Redskins could get a rookie contract for the QB position and he could either compete for the starting job or be groomed.

We'll have to see how the draft process plays out. But in a general weak class, he's probably not better than 5th overall at the position. Which I'd say is likely more like a 4th round pick at this point, but that could easily change either direction.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

When trying to decipher what the team is going to do, I would say they have always been pretty transparent. We need a QB. They can't go into next season with empty seats and so little fan excitement. They are either going to draft a QB, or sign a FA. 

Also, it sucks how much better Cleveland is than we are. 

Cleveland also built a solid defense and offensive line before they drafted their “franchise” QB. 

If Deionte Thompson is available when we pick in the first round I think he would be a  good addition.   But Thompson is versatile, aggressive, with good instincts and is not afraid to hit.  And hey, the Skins can stay with their Alabama theme.   Guy played sparingly in 2017.   But was a difference maker this year.  

I think building up our secondary should be the main goal in the draft or we will be torched every game.  Plus what a waste of a good D line if we can't fortify the secondary with a solid safety and CB pickup.  

I am not 100% all in on dumping Norman BUT he would have to take a pay cut or restructure with an incentive/performance deal.   HE thinks he is better then he is though and will probably see what he can get in FA.

I don't want to roll with Colt McCoy but we have so many other needs, and holes to fill, I think you roll with him.   

I still think Sims another receiver on our IR is could be special and emerge next year IF he can stay off IR.   Maurice Harris flashed last year but he has injury issues and so I am losing hope for that. We never got a chance to really see what he can do.   Both these guys i thought would move up but they have to stay on the field

8 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Cleveland also built a solid defense and offensive line before they drafted their “franchise” QB. 

Theres the key.  Every successful team with a young QB does this.  There is already a lot of talent before they draft the franchise QB.  Mahomes already had a good offensive line and great weapons.  Prescott looked good because the whole rest of the team meant he had to do little.  The Seahawks drafted Wilson to just not screw it up.  The Browns set up Mayfield for success.  Meanwhile, every team that tries to draft a QB to be their savior ends up killing him behind a bad offensive line, lack of talent to throw to or a RB to keep the defense honest, and big deficits to overcome with TDs and INTs.  Its almost unheard of for a young QB to have great success without either a dominant defense and good running game, or a very good offensive line and targets to throw to.

Archived