Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

if we want to go bananas with the run game -- add a monster blocker like Cody Ford or Rasner in the first.  And I think one of these dudes Hockenson or Irv Smith might be available (more likely Smith is there than Hockenson it seems) in the 2nd.  Both monsters IMO -- can catch and block.  Irv Smith was my earlier man crush that I posted about but Hockenson is right up there with him for me.  Noticed draft geeks like Hockenson more than Irv.  There is a chance though he doesn't come out.

I wouldn't mind Ford and Hockenson, but Hockenson is likely a 1st round pick. Ford would be great though. 

I have to say though, that we should be trying to get a franchise QB. If there isn't one in this draft, then, look elsewhere. If Haskins is that guy though, go up and get him. Give up our 1st. Give up Jon Allen. I might be alone in this feeling, but all other considerations are secondary until you have a QB. 

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wouldn't mind Ford and Hockenson, but Hockenson is likely a 1st round pick. Ford would be great though. 

I have to say though, that we should be trying to get a franchise QB. If there isn't one in this draft, then, look elsewhere. If Haskins is that guy though, go up and get him. Give up our 1st. Give up Jon Allen. I might be alone in this feeling, but all other considerations are secondary until you have a QB. 

I wouldn't trade Jonathan Allen -- young building blocks at DT seems to be the cornerstone of future success here.  As for QB, not sure a sure fire franchise QB exists but maybe.  If Haskins jumps out as the #1 prospect, doubt he's within reach and I wouldn't give up a kings ransom type of deal to get him.  Maybe there is a shot, Lock or D. Jones falls to their pick.

I wouldn't force it though.  If they have to shop for a QB in 2020 so be it, looking like a better draft for QB, some comparing it to the 2018 crop especially now that Herbert is returning to school.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wouldn't trade Jonathan Allen -- young building blocks at DT seems to be the cornerstone of future success here.  As for QB, not sure a sure fire franchise QB exists but maybe.  If Haskins jumps out as the #1 prospect, doubt he's within reach and I wouldn't give up a kings ransom type of deal to get him.  Maybe there is a shot, Lock or D. Jones falls to their pick.

I wouldn't force it though.  If they have to shop for a QB in 2020 so be it, looking like a better draft for QB, some comparing it to the 2018 crop especially now that Herbert is returning to school.

I half agree with this. Our DT's are the cornerstone of our future success. But, our future success looks middling, at best, without a QB. And, I'm tired of waiting to finally have a QB that makes us a decade long contender. Maybe that QB doesn't exist in this year's draft, but if the scouts think Haskins can be that guy, move up and get him. The value of a stud DT pales in comparison to that of a stud QB. 

Also, I with we had fined and suspended Swearinger. I'm not super happy that we are going into the draft with another defensive hole to fill. I'm going to scream if we cut our stud safety and then use a high pick to on a safety. Talk about treading water. 

Also, am I the only one not impressed by that QB from Duke? I watch his highlights and his passing isn't impressive. His stats? Not impressive. So, he's worth a high pick because he's tall and can run? I'd rather have Drew Lock. 

19 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I half agree with this. Our DT's are the cornerstone of our future success. But, our future success looks middling, at best, without a QB. And, I'm tired of waiting to finally have a QB that makes us a decade long contender. Maybe that QB doesn't exist in this year's draft, but if the scouts think Haskins can be that guy, move up and get him. The value of a stud DT pales in comparison to that of a stud QB. 

Also, I with we had fined and suspended Swearinger. I'm not super happy that we are going into the draft with another defensive hole to fill. I'm going to scream if we cut our stud safety and then use a high pick to on a safety. Talk about treading water. 

Also, am I the only one not impressed by that QB from Duke? I watch his highlights and his passing isn't impressive. His stats? Not impressive. So, he's worth a high pick because he's tall and can run? I'd rather have Drew Lock. 

From what I've seen I like Lock better than Jones, too but I admit I haven't seen a lot of either and if scouts are typically confounded by QB prospects am not pretending I have it down -- so just guessing on my end.

As for trading Jonathan Allen -- you don't see too many trades that involve young up and coming players like that (unlike lets say baseball) and when it happens players are typically undervalued compared to where they were drafted, some exceptions to that though but not sure if Allen would be one of those exceptions.  

I am probably top 5 at least cheerleader over the years about a franchise QB is the be all and end all.  But I've become disillusioned about trading up for one unless they look killer.  And I'd have to be really blown away to trade Jonathan Allen considering he might be the best player on the team right now and its not easy finding top line D lineman though this draft might ironically be a rare exception to that point.   I like Haskins but with his limited amount of starts wonder if he would be too much of a risk to put so many marbles in a trade for him.

I might do it though for Tua next year.  I am headed to that game shortly so that might add or weaken my man crush on the dude depending on how he plays coming off of his subpar performance against Georgia.

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Give up Jon Allen. I might be alone in this feeling.

You are.

Only player to publicly stand up against Swearinger, what DJ said being right or wrong is irrelevant, Allen is going to be the leader of this player group in 2019. That's what I want. Tough arsed player with the leadership attitude to back it up. 

At where we are likely positioned in the draft.  Cody Ford, Jachai Polite, Hollywood Brown right now are the three that do it for me.  Drew Lock if he falls and Jay loves him. Maybe DK Metcalf if healthy.  Maybe Mack Wilson even though he was up and down this year but looks like he's likely going back to school.  If they are sold on Polite then to me he's the guy if he's there -- pass rusher > WR, OG.

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You are.

Only player to publicly stand up against Swearinger, what DJ said being right or wrong is irrelevant, Allen is going to be the leader of this player group in 2019. That's what I want. Tough arsed player with the leadership attitude to back it up. 

Just for the record, I love Jonathan Allen. That's exactly why I used him as the example. I would rather have a top 10 quarterback than Aaron Donald. All other considerations are secondary. 

I like Haskins. His sample size IS small. Does anyone really think however that he would come back and not look good next year? I think the bigger concern is that he plays with so much talent. 

Lock is more talented than Jones but Jones is tougher than him and handles pressure better.  Better at throwing on the move too.

Lock is an italian sports car.  Needs to be finely tuned to operate well, but when his offense is clicking, he will slice your defense up.

Jones is a workhorse.  He is built to take a beating and make plays despite crap performance around him.  Won't always be pretty like in that bowl game, and he doesn't have a huge ceiling IMO.  But he looks like a future NFL starter to me.  I think he's rightfully a second round pick.

11 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just for the record, I love Jonathan Allen. That's exactly why I used him as the example. I would rather have a top 10 quarterback than Aaron Donald. All other considerations are secondary.

I like Haskins. His sample size IS small. Does anyone really think however that he would come back and not look good next year? I think the bigger concern is that he plays with so much talent. 

Geez.  How many times do we have to make the same mistakes before we learn anything?  Kendall Fuller + 3rd for a veteran QB?  A second round pick for a veteran QB well into his decline?  Three first round picks and a 2nd rounder on one QB?  No QB is going to put the Skins over the top.  When you add up the current issues plus the players that are on the tail end of their ability to contribute the Skins need to keep all of their young good players and their draft picks.  

51 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Its 15th, Atlanta had an easier schedule.

If we hadnt picked up that wonderful win against the horrible Jags that so many on here praised, it would be 7th.  But we cant even do that right...

8th, but still unreal how much an absolutely meaningless win cost us.  And it probably helps Bruce keep his job.  

To show how much of a slide that is going from 8th to 15th, the draft value chart I'm looking at has the 8th pick worth 1400, and the 15th pick worth 1050, for a difference of 350 points, which is what the 55th overall pick is worth.  That's pretty significant.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Looking at the teams that select ahead of us, it's good to see a lot of them running a 4-3.  I know there may be some changes for us and some of these other teams as far as scheme, but right now these teams run a 4-3, along with their draft slot:

8 - Detroit

10 - buffalo

11 - Cincy

13 - Miami

14 - Atlanta

With the Redskins at 15.  If we decide we like Josh Allen, polite, or sweat, some 4-3 teams may feel these guys are a bad fit for their scheme and cross them off their board, leading us to get great value at 15.  

We've got a long four months to look forward to the draft, because I don't think black Monday or free agency will bring us much excitement.

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

We've got a long four months to look forward to the draft, because I don't think black Monday or free agency will bring us much excitement.

Hopefully one of the two threads will be interesting. But history shows a thread with bunny's with pancakes on their heads will be more useful.

I hate to say it but I am taking the best QB available when we pick in the first. With Smith's debilitating contract we cant afford to sign a free agent like Bridgewater. We have to take a QB in round one so we can have that 5th year option. I havent started looking at film yet so I havent ranked the QB's yet. But if Haskins comes out he may be there at 15. If not I would be fine with Grier, Lock or Jones there as well. We have to add affordable talent at the QB position.

Archived