Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

CBS has us taking ... Dwayne Haskins.

I have viewed him through jaded eyes since he spurned the Terps so I honestly cant say i can give an accurate evaluation of his play. It seemed to me, playing at OSU .. he had easy to see passes. He didnt have to move a safety with his eyes then come back across the field. He didnt have to throw many guys open ... the guys would be open and he would hit them with an accurate ball. A lot of times, guys would be wide wide open. I give him credit for finding the open guy but I just dont think he was asked to do what he will need to do in the NFL, read defenses and go through progressions quickly and correctly. Maybe he can do it, maybe he cant. Id feel more comfortbale taking a college QB who had to face some adversity ... someone who has shown they can go through progressions and not just get the ball to the pre-snap primary guy.

I dont know enough about this class of QBs but initial instinct/hearing is that there isnt a legit candidate in this draft compared to last year which had 5 or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-raiders-pass-on-qb-in-first-round-land-explosive-playmaker-for-derek-carr/

Here’s where I stand as of now; it’s subject change as we go forward.  

ILB - no brainer here.  The thing that concerns me is if we find a good one, do they replace Brown and then we’re stuck with Foster for another year?  

Oline - my top priority along with ILB.  Feels like we need a starting guard, a capable backup tackle (that we can groom to start), and a backup G/C.  And that’s basically the minimum, IMO.  

Corner - I’m torn here.  I think we should see some improvement in our young guys - Moreau, Johnson, Stroman, Alexander and Holsey - but we really need to move on from Norman and I’m not sold on Dunbar (though he’s a solid depth player at the least).  

Receiver - I’m torn once again.  Feel like we can get by with what we have.  Would be great to add a starting caliber guy - we could especially use someone with speed/separation ability - but shoring up the oline and defense seem like bigger priorities.  

Qb - at least a developmental one, though signs are pointing to the FO aiming higher.  

TE - this would be a good position to target as they tend to be a qbs best friend and we need to reduce the money tied up in this position.  

Edge rusher, another dlineman and a back would all be nice to add, but this is more gravy than the meat and potatoes we need, IMO.  

Random thought - I have to wonder, if we simplified our blocking scheme, would it be easier to insert olinemen in case of injury?

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Here’s where I stand as of now; it’s subject change as we go forward.  

ILB - no brainer here.  The thing that concerns me is if we find a good one, do they replace Brown and then we’re stuck with Foster for another year?  

SDH takes over for Foster

Oline - my top priority along with ILB.  Feels like we need a starting guard, a capable backup tackle (that we can groom to start), and a backup G/C.  And that’s basically the minimum, IMO.  

Agreed

Corner - I’m torn here.  I think we should see some improvement in our young guys - Moreau, Johnson, Stroman, Alexander and Holsey - but we really need to move on from Norman and I’m not sold on Dunbar (though he’s a solid depth player at the least).  

Corner seems to be a mess. Norman is way too costly for his level of play. Dunbar was good, until the nerve injury. Everything else is a questionmark

Receiver - I’m torn once again.  Feel like we can get by with what we have.  Would be great to add a starting caliber guy - we could especially use someone with speed/separation ability - but shoring up the oline and defense seem like bigger priorities.  

We do need another WR. Richardson is injury prone, and not that good. Doctson is not that good, but is starting to look like he will at least be serviceable. I suppose you cant wait and see if one of the young guys on IR comes around, but I don't think you can wait that long. I would look into FA though, we can't seem to draft a WR for ****.

Qb - at least a developmental one, though signs are pointing to the FO aiming higher.  

TE - this would be a good position to target as they tend to be a qbs best friend and we need to reduce the money tied up in this position.  

Yeah, need a TE. Reed can't stay on the field and Davis is what, 96 years old? I really wish we had tried to see what we have in Sprinkle, but he has been completely ignored.

Edge rusher, another dlineman and a back would all be nice to add, but this is more gravy than the meat and potatoes we need, IMO.  

Random thought - I have to wonder, if we simplified our blocking scheme, would it be easier to insert olinemen in case of injury?

I would be better to have  guys that were not injury prone, and to have a better strength and conditioning program.

47 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I have viewed him through jaded eyes since he spurned the Terps so I honestly cant say i can give an accurate evaluation of his play. It seemed to me, playing at OSU .. he had easy to see passes. He didnt have to move a safety with his eyes then come back across the field. He didnt have to throw many guys open ... the guys would be open and he would hit them with an accurate ball. A lot of times, guys would be wide wide open. I give him credit for finding the open guy but I just dont think he was asked to do what he will need to do in the NFL, read defenses and go through progressions quickly and correctly. Maybe he can do it, maybe he cant. Id feel more comfortbale taking a college QB who had to face some adversity ... someone who has shown they can go through progressions and not just get the ball to the pre-snap primary guy.

That feels like every Heisman caliber spread QB though.  Frankly, it just feels like college quarterbacking in general.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That feels like every Heisman caliber spread QB though.  Frankly, it just feels like college quarterbacking in general.

No kidding. When was the last time a OU Qb was anything but crap in the NFL? I would not waste a pick on one. But to move further on that point, we might need to start thinking about a college system because most of thye guys coming out can't seem to run a pro system that well. I know most (if not all) of us hope we wipe the slate clean with new FO, and new coach. I would not be opposed to look at a college coach for HC/OC and run the spread. Of course, I'm will to try just about anything at this point. Well, except for the status quo that we have had here for the past several years.

19 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No kidding. When was the last time a OU Qb was anything but crap in the NFL? I would not waste a pick on one. But to move further on that point, we might need to start thinking about a college system because most of thye guys coming out can't seem to run a pro system that well. I know most (if not all) of us hope we wipe the slate clean with new FO, and new coach. I would not be opposed to look at a college coach for HC/OC and run the spread. Of course, I'm will to try just about anything at this point. Well, except for the status quo that we have had here for the past several years.

It's like you have to get the guy that can pick it up the quickest, because almost none of them know how to do anything.  They dont take snaps from center, they arent required to read the field, they dont call plays without cue cards, set protections, mechanics are probably not taught well.

Almost feel like Spurrier was 15 years early trying to run his college offense in the NFL.  lol

4th Grade:

Te'Von Coney, LB, Notre Dame, SR - 6.3

Strengths

- Very instinctive in coverage and against the run.  Demonstrates quick reaction time.  Does a nice job sniffing out misdirection.

- Natural in zone coverage guarding hooks and flats.  Plays balanced.  Good feet and hips.  Does a great job reading the passer's eyes.  Never panics.

- Has the footspeed and change of direction ability to run with tight ends in single coverage.

- Looks like he has long arms to make plays on the ball and break up passes.

- Click and close speed is good, if not elite

- High quality tackler.  Disciplined in the open field and almost never falls off once he's got a hold of you.  Good athlete to make the tackle off his frame.  Closing speed to reach the outside hip.

- Plays with good technique and feet to compensate for a lack of size and power.  Sinks his anchor and keeps a wide base when he engages with the climbing guard and tight end.  Keeps his head up and stays in the play.

- Good at getting those shoulders turned to long-arm blockers on perimeter runs.  Length allows him to play taller than 6'1

- Good lateral quickness and sidesteps a ton of blocks.  Just a very slippery guy to second level block.  Very consistent in reaching his fits.

- Very good athlete who can take aggressive pursuit angles on runs outside the tackles.  Makes a lot of impressive stops at and behind the line.  Made some impressive stops against Bryce Love showing he can go toe to toe with legitimately dangerous NFL speed.

Weaknesses

- Not very big or physical.  Doesn't have top end functional power.  Big TEs and guards can wash him if they latch on.

- Anchor strength is mediocre at best.  Gonna have some problems in the box against quality NFL guards.  Much, much better at playing sideline to sideline.

- Not a thumper.  Not going to hurt guards or put backs and receivers on notice.  Sure tackler rather than a striker.

- Needs work to improve hands.  Doesn't shy from blocks, but could do a better job shucking them after the punch, especially on runs between the tackles

Bottom line for me is I think he's in the mix with Devin White for best stack linebacker in the class.  He's not getting that kind of hype, but I think he's underrated.  I see him being a rookie starter if he can improve his play strength, and I think he's got Probowl potential because he's a well-rounded, instinctive player who is a very good athlete.  I think he'll probably get picked somewhere between the 20s and the mid second round.  I wish he was more physical, but you'd rather have instinctive and reliable over physical if you have to pick between the two.

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I dont think the drafting a QB is all about Gruden-Bruce.  Its the dwindling fan base, not having a young QB to get excited about the future, etc.  But to your point maybe if Dan hires a new GM they feel differently about it.  Will see 

Hopefully they realize we're smart enough that they can stop polishing these turds and stop going for offseason excitement (I know, I know....I should know better....).  With the dead money coming from Smith, just eat a bit more (like Norman) and get things right for 2020. 

It's been a while since I've checked in here.

We aren't far removed from a 6-3 team that was "on the way" to being quite good. But the QB injuries really screw us over, and I think require us to go to the drawing board a bit. I think you have to let Crowder and Smith walk unless their contracts are very team friendly, then it gets a bit easier to swallow. But knowing that the trends in FA are that mid-tier guys get paid, I have a hard time seeing them back.

QB, Edge, Interior OL, OT Depth and WR are all key early needs.

Also let us not forget that Trent, Moses and Kerrigan are all close to the end of their primes. We need to seriously consider the next era of those guys sooner rather than later. Edge is a need beyond replacing Smith ... it's going to be about replacing Smith and eventually replacing Kerrigan.

1st: Edge

2nd: QB

3rd: OG

3rd: ILB

4th: WR

5th: CB

etc etc

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF putting CB as the team's 2nd biggest need after WR, interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/11/ranking-biggest-problem-areas-redskins-roster-this-season/?utm_term=.cba12e2f538b

The Redskins' safeties have been impressive, particularly D.J. Swearinger Sr., but there are issues at cornerback. The group has flashed big-play potential but simply hasn’t been consistent enough. The only cornerback not to allow a passer rating over 100 when targeted this season is Adonis Alexander, who has seen two targets on all of 10 snaps. Josh Norman, Fabian Moreau and Quinton Dunbar are their three primary cornerbacks, and as a trio, they have been beaten for 13 touchdowns, even with Dunbar missing significant time because of injury.

Washington needs a significant improvement from this group, whether that comes through an injection of talent or fixing its inconsistent play.

My first post in here had us taking Deandre Baker. CB is a real possibility in the first given Norman has to be moved on and we look seriously vulnerable at DB I think.

Could be like 2005, which in the end didn't go well, whereby we go CB top ten then jump back up for a QB.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

SDH takes over for Foster

That would be awesome, but I can’t bank on it considering 1) he hasn’t shown us anything and 2) Keim’s comment that the team views him as a backup.  

Agreed

Corner seems to be a mess. Norman is way too costly for his level of play. Dunbar was good, until the nerve injury. Everything else is a questionmark

Yeah.  The bright side is the youth (and Dunbar on an affordable deal).  We have to replace Norman though and counting on (a lot of) growth from the young guys is risky.  I feel like the corner play made life harder on Manusky.  

We do need another WR. Richardson is injury prone, and not that good. Doctson is not that good, but is starting to look like he will at least be serviceable. I suppose you cant wait and see if one of the young guys on IR comes around, but I don't think you can wait that long. I would look into FA though, we can't seem to draft a WR for ****.

I’m really back and forth here.  Yes, it’s a need, particularly (as I alluded to) a guy that can open things up for everyone else.  I would just hate to miss out on a good ILB or G (and maybe corner).  If we had a qb I had more faith in, I’d weight receiver a bit more I think.  

Yeah, need a TE. Reed can't stay on the field and Davis is what, 96 years old? I really wish we had tried to see what we have in Sprinkle, but he has been completely ignored.

I would be better to have  guys that were not injury prone, and to have a better strength and conditioning program.

Absolutely.  

I don't mind the idea of taking a qb early (for various reasons), but if it results in us not shoring up the oline... that’s... not good.  Putting a rook on the field with injury prone offensive players and pass catchers that aren’t great at separating is asking for trouble too.  If we miss out on a key addition to the defense, that could really come back to bite us as well.  Ugh.  

This is feels like a draft that could really help the team, but one which the FO could really screw up too.  

Edit:  I feel like the units on defense didn’t work well together.  The line would get pressure, but qbs would find an open man.  When the coverage was good, I felt like the rush was slow to get home.  Dline would clog their gaps and the ILBs wouldn’t fill theirs (secondary seemed to struggle frequently in run support too).  I don’t blame people for getting on Manusky, but it felt like guys were consistently failing in their assignments.  Subbing in other players didn’t seem to make much of a difference either.  I like that the D coaches at least tried with McKinzy/Anderson/McPhee, SDH, Alexander/Johnson/Stroman, and Settle.  

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jonathan Cooper a bit longer next year. Like a 1-2 years vet. min or close to it kind of deal. Then draft a Guard in a spot that makes most sense from a BPA standpoint and have those 2 battle it out for LG. I think Christian is the clear swing tackle/depth piece who was raw and can continue to be developed. A rookie mid-round Guard to pair with Christian gives you solid depth, and having a veteran like Cooper in house makes the line less of a concern short-term. At some point Trent or Moses may need a permanent replacement, and at that stage you'll find yourself having to draft a player or signing a FA (both are highly paid so in a sense, signing a top FA would in essence keep the same level of investment there as you've had for a few years now.

I think you can get away with OL if you address LG or Center in rounds 2-4 and bring in or keep in house a solid vet like Cooper.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

That would be awesome, but I can’t bank on it considering 1) he hasn’t shown us anything and 2) Keim’s comment that the team views him as a backup.  

I pretty much agree with everything else, but I'd also like to have some other coaches look at SDH. Which is kinda a backhanded way of saying I don't really care what the current staff thinks, because they better not be here next year.

32 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I pretty much agree with everything else, but I'd also like to have some other coaches look at SDH. Which is kinda a backhanded way of saying I don't really care what the current staff thinks, because they better not be here next year.

Haha, yeah, I hear you

I'd put money that Keim's source on Hamilton is his position coach, Kirk Olivadotti.  Keim in interviews has indicated he's tight with him.  Olivadotti who has a good rep has been with the team on and off for years including on Gregg Williams' staff and Gregg highlighted him as one of the best assistant coaches he's worked with and he helped him with game planning along with coaching LBs.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He should be the first QB taken.

I don’t have the warm and fuzzies about this situation if Allen is still around.  Gave up a ransom for RGIII, 2 franchise tags to some other guy, traded away a really promising young corner (weakening a position of strength again), and a huge extension for Smith.  It’s hard not to expect Allen to bend over a barrel for Haskins... 

17 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont know enough about this class of QBs but initial instinct/hearing is that there isnt a legit candidate in this draft compared to last year which had 5 or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-raiders-pass-on-qb-in-first-round-land-explosive-playmaker-for-derek-carr/

The college QBs that are moving safety’s are few & far between, the rs soph QBs, who have only started one year, are not typically manipulating much with the eyes yet. He was in a fairly similar offense at Bullis, he was a decisive distributor, but he didn’t wow people with his talent as much as with his accuracy. Urban coached under my uncle at a Notre Dame, Urban said Haskins was the most advanced freshman he ever coached, that’s obviously high praise for the local kid. The staff loved what Haskins could process, that’s why he won the job. I’m not a huge fan at this point, I’ll be joining you in watching him more closely as the daft nears. It’s always draft season in DC.

Loved Drew’s response after the Texas coach, who shall not be named, mocked a celebration of Drew’s.

Drew is the most gifted passer in the draft, I look forward to breaking these guys down with the EsXperts throughout the winter.

ILB to look for 2nd round - Germaine Pratt NCSU - Came in as a safety and physically outgrew the position. Over 100 combined tackles his second season as a linebacker in 11 games. Freakish athlete. Good cover skills. Fast. Everything we don't currently have at that position. 

19 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Jonathan Cooper a bit longer next year. Like a 1-2 years vet. min or close to it kind of deal. Then draft a Guard in a spot that makes most sense from a BPA standpoint and have those 2 battle it out for LG. I think Christian is the clear swing tackle/depth piece who was raw and can continue to be developed. A rookie mid-round Guard to pair with Christian gives you solid depth, and having a veteran like Cooper in house makes the line less of a concern short-term. At some point Trent or Moses may need a permanent replacement, and at that stage you'll find yourself having to draft a player or signing a FA (both are highly paid so in a sense, signing a top FA would in essence keep the same level of investment there as you've had for a few years now.

I think you can get away with OL if you address LG or Center in rounds 2-4 and bring in or keep in house a solid vet like Cooper.

I can live with Cooper and a rookie or FA at LG.  Preferably a vet FA though, because Cooper and durability don't exactly go together.  It would be an upgrade over what we were planning this year.  Since Lavauo was the fallback after they were planning on going with Arie as the starter, at first.  Even if it worked out as planned, it wasn't going to be any good.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford, SR - 6.15

Strengths

- King sized outside receiver.  Dwarfs every corner that lines up across from him.

- Very long arms.  Has a massive potential catch radius

- Tremendous potential as a blocker on the edge because of his size and length.  Shows willingness here and doesn't take this part of the game for granted.  But needs technique work and needs to improve his play strength to master the craft.

- Excellent leaper.  Excellent at timing his jumps

- Good body control.  Fluid lateral mover.  Can make circus grabs in traffic.

- Makes a couple of spectacular contested catches every game.

- Touchdown machine.  Probably the best red zone threat in this year's class.  Specializes in winning jump balls.  Knows exactly how to use his size to wall off backs from the passing lane.

- Does a good job hanging on to the ball in traffic.  Dbs almost never win the ball.

- Mostly utilized as a deep threat and red zone guy at Stanford but shows the potential to play a bigger possession receiver role in the NFL.

- Good long strider who can cover a lot of open field once he gets going.  Dangerous vertical receiver who needs very little separation to make big plays.

- Plays with toughness and focus.

Weaknesses

- Not overly quick.  Burst off the line is mediocre.  Big, rangy player who doesn't have a lot of twitch and needs some time and space to gear up.  Not slow or clunky, still has good basketball feet.  But not fast.

- Needs to learn how to use his hands and all of that length to beat the press.  Tries to run around it with a big initial inside or outside step and just wastes time and space. 

- Shows some hesitation against the press in the red zone getting too cute with stutter stepping and head faking instead of just getting into his stem and letting his size and strength win the day.  Too often wants to go around you instead of going through you.

- Route running is very raw.  Only ran a few routes for Stanford and almost all of them were vertical.  Anything with a short stem tipped run pretty much.  Few crossers I saw were rounded.  Needs to master this to unlock the short and intermediate game for himself.  To unlock his potential as a possession receiver who can pile up catches.

- Long speed is good but not elite.  NFL corners will be able to carry him deep without too many problems.  Not going to be a screen threat and not going to be much of a YAC threat, but he's not as bad at catching and running as you'd expect.  There is a little spice there.

Bottom line, this is a basketball athlete playing football.  He's been, by far, the best red zone threat I've seen in this class so far.  Comes from a basketball lineage and I sense that it was his background and that he may have come to football later than most because of how raw he is at the technical side of the game.  He's going to need a lot of time and work to improve his technique for releasing against a press and his route running and his technique as a blocker.  But his raw talent is pretty great.  He puts the fear in you as a defensive coordinator because he's such a match up issue.  Even when you've got a really good defense with outstanding DBs like Julian Love he still scares you.  Only takes one down where your guy isn't absolutely perfect and Arcega-Whiteside makes you pay with a huge chunk play or a TD.  He's a real wild card for an offense.  A low floor-high ceiling guy.

I see him as a likely second round pick who might be able to get into the later 1/3rd of the first round if he has good workouts.

No to Dwayne Haskins - i've very suspicious on players (particularly qbs) with one year of play (Devin Thomas anyone?)

What i look for in a qb is a 3 year starter with improving stats each year - once in the pros offence vs defence is an arms race and i need to see a qb who can develop and improve over time. If i see a significant dip in their final year of college play it raises red flags for me as to either laziness or development is maxed out

With that in mind if we could get Clayton Thorson from Northwester in the 3rd, I could definitely dig the move

2018 278 459 2942 60.6 6.41 77 15 14 33 119.1 48.2 59.7
2017 262 434 2844 60.4 6.55 58 15 12 30 121.3 66.1 70.0
2016 280 478 3182 58.6 6.66 58 22 9 38 125.9 58.0 62.3
2015 150 295 1522 50.8 5.16 66 7 9 22 95.9 39.8 45.7

Archived