• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage: Giants vs Redskins 

12/9/18

DEFEAT!!!

Giants 40 - Redskins 16

Greetings friends, JimmiJo here, and I am joined by my shivering partner, Spaceman Spiff. Together we will bring you this all important NFC East divisional matchup between the Washington Redskins and New York Giants.

When I was last with you the Redskins had command of the division and there was optimism to spare. Since, devastating injuries to quarterbacks, linemen, and cornerbacks has left this team losers in 4-of-5 contests.

But there is still everything to play for, and if they can manage a victory today and the Eagles to the same Washington will once again have a share of the lead.

I can dream can't I?

On paper, the future looks grim. A continued collapse will start the questions about the future of personnel and perhaps leadership. Yes, we can certainly point to injuries as the primary reason the team is struggling. But the record earlier in the year was masking some issues with the squad. No real arial threat. An inconsistent running game. And a defense that has been anything but consistent.

But these are questions for another time. Today, it is just two teams looking for a win.

See you at the half.

Follow along on Twitter @Skinscast 

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 32 RB Samaje Perine
      o   No. 46 RB Kapri Bibbs
      o   No. 52 LB Ryan Anderson
      o   No. 63 C Demetrius Rhaney
      o   No. 66 G Tony Bergstrom
      o   No. 99 DL Caleb Brantley

JimmiJo

I was happy to see players like Josh Johnson and Byron Marshall in the game. The marquee guys did not earn the right to play following the disastrous first half. It was historically bad.

Never before had the Washington Redskins trailed by as much as the 34-0 deficit they entertained today at the half.

I remarked to one of the writers that in 13-seasons I had never seen this team so outplayed as today. The offense led by Mark Sanchez was throw-up in mouth bad. At no point did you feel like they would or could score.

I tweeted before the game that it is time for Daniel Snyder to replaced head coach Jay Gruden. Yes injuries are the headline. But the offense was poor before the injuries.

No aerial threat and an inconsistent rushing. They only seemed to score 20-points per game.

What they did do well was hold on to the ball. And the defense was a takeover machine the first half of the year.
      But turnovers tend to even out.

So I was more than glad to see those ‘backups’ play. All they did was show they should have been playing in the first half.

Especially Johnson. Take a look at your Redskins’ starter the rest of the way. From his first snap the offense looked different. There was energy. There was life.

And there was threat.

Johnson played with more command, accuracy and imagination than Mark Sanchez. He looked much more the accomplished quarterback.

A word on Josh Doctson. You are an idiot. Without the stupid penalty you are not letting the safety out-position you to make the pick with 5-minutes left.

Following this game, staring at the standings and considering possible scenarios for getting in the playoffs is fools’ gold. It is all about assessing who it worth keeping for next year.

I don’t believe head coach Jay Gruden is going to make the list. Nor should he. He has had nore than enough time to do something here. He had Kirk Cousins’ starting over 3-full seasons.

He had his chance.

I tweeted before the game team owner Daniel Snyder should let Gruden go and bring in Mike McCarthy. Washington Post writer (and friend) Rick Snider made a great counterpoint to that idea:

“Why would McCarthy want to come here? He has better options,” he said.

That sure feels like the truth. And if so, it may explain why Gruden is fast becoming one of the most tenured coaches in the league.

This was my last game for this season. I would like to thank Extremeskins and the team for the opportunity this year. I will see you guys next year.

Let me go on the record now and say I do not think Jay Gruden's position here is secure. Not with the likes of Mike McCarthy available.
Sign in to follow this  
stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

We haven’t won 12 in decades. We aren’t close to being a 12 win team, imo. We aren’t significantly better than any team in the nfl, we are significantly worse than several. We are closer to being the worst team in the nfl than the best. We should have started shipping pieces a year ago

We were on an 11-12 win pace with Alex Smith at QB.  With better QB play we could have gotten there.  The NFL is a tight league.  A succession of injuries at a couple of positions can wreck you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Footwork is an absolute eye sore, too easily affected by pressure, velocity control is erratic at best, doesn't go through his progressions that fast and he struggled against tougher competition. He plays with a few NFL caliber players on offense too. 

I don't disagree with all of the characterizations you make, but I do disagree about his velocity control.  I think he's a good touch passer who throws a catchable ball in the short game.  His footwork in the pocket is solid too.  His drops are fine and he throws with disciplined weight transfer more than most of the QB prospects you'll see.

Dinging him about his surrounding talent isn't fair either.  Emanuel Hall struggled with injuries most of the year and they weren't able to replace J'Mon Moore.  When Lock had those two healthy, he was prolific.  His receivers were pretty poor this year.  Hall got hurt in the Purdue game and was hobbled against Georgia and missed the Alabama and Kentucky games.  It's not surprising they struggled to move the ball against three top ten defenses when their only great weapon was hurt.

Can someone please tell me how Thorson is rated as a 2nd/3rd round QB? I see a big, strong, accurate, smart QB with strong leadership and a great 4 year resume working with subpar talent...

He has EVERYTHING you look for in a QB... I have to be missing something.

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Footwork is an absolute eye sore, too easily affected by pressure, velocity control is erratic at best, doesn't go through his progressions that fast and he struggled against tougher competition. He plays with a few NFL caliber players on offense too. 

This about sums up my response. He missed lots of open throws against KY and looked awful in the pocket. This QB is going to have to play without a great surrounding cast. After watching Sanchez yesterday though, I'm literally game for anything... even a RO offense.

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, the 6 teams behind us in draft order all are within a game of us and at this point we win the tiebreaker against all of them. If we keep losing (likely) we could really move up. Jets pulling off a late victory over Buffalo hurt us though.

Yeah, I expect we move up a fair bit on that list... even if we somehow manage to win one.  

I dont know how I forgot, but until recently I was thinking “at least we have a bunch of picks in the first 5 rounds” (3rd and 5th comp picks).  Trading those 3rd and 4th round picks isn’t looking so great now... :(

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We can do better than that!!! lol

i predict a  pick in the 6-10 range......

Edited by jbird

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I expect we move up a fair bit on that list... even if we somehow manage to win one.  

I dont know how I forgot, but until recently I was thinking “at least we have a bunch of picks in the first 5 rounds” (3rd and 5th comp picks).  Trading those 3rd and 4th round picks isn’t looking so great now... :(

Thought we gave up a 6th for Alexander and a 4th for Clinton-Dix

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You’re right.  Geez, my head is off today - I was thinking about the Smith trade and totally blanked that it was last year’s 3rd.  

• Like 1

If both Haskins and Herbert are the goods, Herbert coming out would be a big break.  Jax probably picking ahead of us and they seem the most desperate with maybe Denver being the runner up for QBs in this draft.  Reading the NY papers, wouldn't shock me if the Giants refrain from drafting one this year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And to think I initially loved that trade for Clinton-Dix. Gonna end up a very high 4th rounder now....

could probably snag a very good CB in this draft now....if we didn't need a QB so badly. 

• Sad 1

I've only seen 3 games of Dwayne Haskins, but he's kind of a statue in the pocket.  At least he stands tall in the face of pressure and still releases it when he's about to get smacked, but there are a lot of occasions where you think "Just move to the side a little, buy a bit more time!"

That's going to be rough for him in the pro's with better pass rushers coming at him.  We'd need really good Guards to help keep a clean pocket.

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I've only seen 3 games of Dwayne Haskins, but he's kind of a statue in the pocket.  At least he stands tall in the face of pressure and still releases it when he's about to get smacked, but there are a lot of occasions where you think "Just move to the side a little, buy a bit more time!"

That's going to be rough for him in the pro's with better pass rushers coming at him.  We'd need really good Guards to help keep a clean pocket.

That's a concern but not a major one, some QBs just dont sense that pressure. Kirk definitely did not, but I'd kill to have everything else he brings to the table. I need to watch more on Haskins, his #s are eye popping though. 

I actually like Kyler Murray the most of any QB in college right now... such a shame he chose baseball instead. I love his throwing motion and how quick he gets the ball out. Hes undersized, but if he gained about 10 pounds or so he'd be fine.

Sorry if this was already discussed as i havent been able to see all the pages.  I dont know if it would be smart for herber to stay and have to enter the same draft as Fromm and Tua

42 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I actually like Kyler Murray the most of any QB in college right now... such a shame he chose baseball instead. I love his throwing motion and how quick he gets the ball out. Hes undersized, but if he gained about 10 pounds or so he'd be fine.

People saying he's 5 9, that's short even by Russell Wilson's standards so can he see the passing lanes in the NFL with the taller players.  But move can that dude move, quick feet.  Some think he might change his mind and play football but most think he's sticking to baseball.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

People saying he's 5 9, that's short even by Russell Wilson's standards so can he see the passing lanes in the NFL with the taller players.  But move can that dude move, quick feet.  Some think he might change his mind and play football but most think he's sticking to baseball.

I love players that have that short burst ability in the pocket to buy themselves time. Look at his throws, the dude has a killer arm, high velocity on his passes and accurate on the run. Now look at some tape on Will Grier, there's a glaring difference in how long the ball is in the air. I really hope we dont take Grier in the draft, I'd rather have Lock. I'd take Murray at the top of the 2nd, simply because of value and I think he would be there. He has a top 5-10 QB arm, and I actually personally value him in the top half of the 1st round. 

Murray is getting the sunshine treatment right now because everyone is pretty sure he will never choose the NFL over the higher guaranteed money and safety of the MLB (plus he'd have to pay back $4M or so he already received). So it's way more fun to build him up and speculate about what he'd be like in the NFL from a drinking the koolaid perspective, knowing it probably won't happen. It's a good narrative and mostly a waste of ink and airtime, but a safe one. Because most people will never be held accountable for the hype they are building.

Make no mistake. If he were to inexplicably choose the NFL draft, the narrative would change in a hurry. He'd get picked apart. 

The same thing always happens with guys who have very little chance of declaring. They don't get picked apart until they do declare, because building up the "what could have beens" is much easier and makes for good storylines. Jake Locker, Matt Barkley, Josh Allen, and even Cardale Jones have all gotten this soft, gloves on treatment when it was clear they were 90% likely not declaring. Their tools/numbers were hyped up and no one took the time to nitpick them the way seniors and redshirt juniors had been nitpicked by draftniks for an entire season or more by the time they come out. It's 10x worse right now with a 5'9" guy who is 99% more likely to choose the MLB than the NFL. Nobody is getting critical with him yet.