stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

8.WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Trey Smith, OL, Tennessee

Trey Smith was a former No. 1 overall recruit coming out of high school. He was an offensive tackle coming into Tennessee, but has since moved to the inside. Since then he's been totally dominant with some potential to be a tackle in the future.

It's never too early lol!

I would guess they will be going heavy on OL, DB and a TE.

• Like 1

Brugler giving us the #2 pick in the draft, wow.

1. Miami Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama* (6-0, 230)

Could it happen two years in a row to Josh Rosen? Yeah, it might. If the Dolphins end up with the No. 1 overall pick next year, drafting a quarterback will be in play, and Tagovailoa is the early favorite for that spot if he stays healthy and continues his growth as a passer.

2. Washington Redskins — Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State* (6-5, 265)

An Ohio State pass-rusher went No. 2 in this past draft, and it could happen again if Young continues on his current trajectory. He has the blend of quickness, power and smarts to consistently defeat blockers.

3. Cincinnati Bengals — Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (6-6, 233)

If the Bengals are drafting this high next year, an upgrade from Andy Dalton should be a strong consideration for the Brown family. Herbert has all the physical and mental tools to be a high-level NFL passer, and he will warrant top-three consideration if he continues to improve as a senior.

12 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Disappointing. Which player on the Redskins can snap this dreadful streak? I think Kerrigan possibly,or Trent Williams, Older players but possible. More likely though Allen, Sweat, Guice, Scherff, Haskins. 

https://clutchpoints.com/redskins-news-widely-praised-draft-performance-might-break-a-specific-and-significant-drought-in-d-c/amp/

While the Pats have drafted 10 All-Pros, the Bills and Dolphins have drafted just one each since 2000 (just one team has not drafted a single First-Team All-Pro this century: the Washington Redskins).

Pats drafting that well without picking high in the draft is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brugler giving us the #2 pick in the draft, wow.

It's based on Vegas Super Bowl odds.  Some form of Vegas odds is the only way I can think of to do a mock draft while staying "neutral" and not pissing off half the league with where you have them slotted.

Kadar, SB Nation

1. Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Poor Josh Rosen. But if the Dolphins are at No. 1 in the 2020 draft, they likely won’t hesitate to take a quarterback. Tagovailoa has been destined for the top of the draft since his star-making freshman season at Alabama.

2. Arizona Cardinals: Chase Young, DE, Ohio Sate

Ohio State has another potential top-two pick at pass rusher. Young is a big athlete who had 9.5 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss in 2018. Oh, and he’s bigger and maybe more athletic than former teammate Nick Bosa.

3. Cincinnati Bengals: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

If the Bengals are drafting inside the top five, Andy Dalton would be coming off a disastrous season. Ryan Finley was a solid pickup in the fourth round this year, but Herbert has superstar potential.

4. Detroit Lions: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Brown surprised a lot of people by going back to Auburn despite likely being a first-round pick this year. He could jump inside the top five if the Lions need to replace Damon Harrison after this season.

5. Buffalo Bills: A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa

Although the Bills have taken several defensive linemen high in the draft recently, they still need a defensive end who can rush the passer. Epenesa has size at 6’6 and 280 pounds and brings power off the edge.

6. Washington: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

Washington may have just drafted Terry McLaurin in the third round, but Shenault can be Dwayne Haskins’ lead receiver. Shenault has size at 6’2 and 220 pounds, and had 86 receptions for 1,011 yards and six touchdowns a season ago despite being slowed by a toe injury.

7. New York Giants: Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama

Meet the next star linebacker from Alabama. Moses is a big, speedy player with experience inside and outside. A Butkus Award finalist, he led Alabama last season with 86 tackles.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

The Buccaneers were rumored to take a defensive tackle with the No. 5 pick this year. If Gerald McCoy is in his final season in Tampa, the 6’7, 300-pound Davis is a fit next to Vita Vea.

9. New York Jets: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

To this point, the Jets still haven’t put a lot of talent around quarterback Sam Darnold. Jeudy had 68 receptions for 1,315 yards and 14 touchdowns last season en route to winning the Fred Biletnikoff Award.

10. Denver Broncos: Nick Coe, DE/DT, Auburn

The Broncos picked up the contract option on defensive end Derek Wolfe, but he’s had some health troubles in the past. At 6’5 and 291 pounds, Coe is a fit in Vic Fangio’s defense.

11. Las Vegas Raiders: Grant Delpit, S, LSU

Safety Karl Joseph is in his contract year for the Raiders, and Delpit would be a nice replacement. He was an All-American last season, and a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Award.

12. Tennessee Titans: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri

By this time next year, Okwuegbunam could be talked about the same way T.J. Hockenson and Noah Fant were this year. And you’ll know how to spell his name without looking it up.

13. Carolina Panthers: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

D.J. Moore is a solid player and running back Christian McCaffrey generates a lot of yards receiving, but the Panthers could use a legit No. 1 target for Cam Newton.

14. Baltimore Ravens: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Hall surprised some people by returning to Virginia for his senior season. With Brandon Carr and Jimmy Smith free agents at the season, the Ravens could be looking for a new corner opposite Marlon Humphrey.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars: Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

That’s right, two Alabama wide receivers inside the top 15. Ruggs is a speed receiver and the 1b to Jeudy’s 1a. Last season Ruggs averaged 16.1 yards per catch and had 11 touchdowns.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/29/18520843/2020-nfl-mock-draft-tua-tagovailoa-justin-herbert-chase-young-grant-delpit

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

With no second rounder in 2020 we will be trading back in the first. Just getting that on record early :ols:

Not sure about that.  Jeudy might be the best Alabama WR prospect going back to Julio Jones.  Can they resist?   Jeudy isn't Jones but I think better than Cooper and some other ballyhood Alabama WR prospects.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Any publication that has us picking before the Giants next season is laughable.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pats drafting that well without picking high in the draft is pretty amazing.

Winning and unbelievably great coaching lifts up the boat for everyone.  It feeds upon itself.  Hard to excel at your job in football if the men around you are failing or put into positions to fail by the coaches.

48 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's based on Vegas Super Bowl odds.  Some form of Vegas odds is the only way I can think of to do a mock draft while staying "neutral" and not pissing off half the league with where you have them slotted. 

I think I would take the over on their win projection.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure about that.  Jeudy might be the best Alabama WR prospect going back to Julio Jones.  Can they resist?   Jeudy isn't Jones but I think better than Cooper and some other ballyhood Alabama WR prospects.

I haven't seen Shanault, but I'm pretty surprised he's listed ahead of Jeudy.  I've been assuming for awhile that Jeudy is a lock for Top 5.

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I haven't seen Shanault, but I'm pretty surprised he's listed ahead of Jeudy.  I've been assuming for awhile that Jeudy is a lock for Top 5.

If Keenum is the guy starting, i do not think a top 5 pick is out of the question, I think though it feels more like a 7-9, 8-8 team.  Will see. 

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Keenum is the guy starting, i do not think a top 5 pick is out of the question, I think though it feels more like a 7-9, 8-8 team.  Will see. 

It does feel around 8-8 season so I agree probably not a top 5 pick. If it is a top 5 it is kinda funny that most predict they may all be QBs and DE's. Perhapsthis will give them the opportunity to drop back and collect picks to recoup the lost 2nd round and more including the following year and still grab a OLT or great DB.

I have to pay attention to some of these guys. I saw a lot of highlights of Shenault last season but never watched him actually play. His highlight film is stupid, but let's be honest, even a bench guy who gets decent PT can put together a pretty great highlight reel. 

Herbert does nothing for me. I know we shouldn't be in the QB market, but the guy has bust written across his forehead in my eyes currently. Hope he doesn't bust for his sake, I'd never wish that on anyone. I just don't see it. 

Adonis Alexander is a sleeper at the safety spot, in my opinion. I'd try him there. Let he, DRC and Nicholson compete.

Going into next season, I'd say the following positions will be weighted most heavily in our draft board for need:

CB, OT, TE, FS, WR

• Like 4

21 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Winning and unbelievably great coaching lifts up the boat for everyone.  It feeds upon itself.  Hard to excel at your job in football if the men around you are failing or put into positions to fail by the coaches.

And this is why the talent infusion is not all that exciting for me. I believe our head coach is an offensive coordinator, our d-coordinator is below average and it goes down from there. 

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Adonis Alexander is a sleeper at the safety spot, in my opinion. I'd try him there. Let he, DRC and Nicholson compete.

Someone mentioned that Keim said they aren’t planning on going this route (no idea if true), which is pretty strange if that’s the case.  I know we have Apk, and that Everett ‘can’ play FS, but with Nicholson suspended....

Obviously we could move Moreland there, but that is a pretty underwhelming group.  

Going into next season, I'd say the following positions will be weighted most heavily in our draft board for need:

CB, OT, TE, FS, WR

Yeah, replacement for Norman, replacement for Williams/Moses (at least one to groom.  I’m a little surprised we didn’t already address this.  We still don’t have a FS, even if we have some options.  Doctson is likely gone and we don’t have anyone that looks like a number one.  

I might lump ILB with wr.  Foster will be a FA, SDH is unproven.  

We’ll also be in the market for a qb

with McCoy and Keenum hitting FA, but we probably bring in a vet via FA instead; a late round guy to PS makes sense.  

Imagine the payload we could get if one of those 3 QBs in the next draft fall to us somehow. We could finally get back some lost value from the 13' and 14' drafts

• Like 2

I'd be in favor of tanking for Jeudy. Guice, Jeudy and Haskins with our DL...

What do you guys think of this guy?

Without getting embroiled in a need/BPA debate, the 202 draft should have one eye on the next steps after Trent,Kerrigan and Norman. Players may emerge this year, but those three are the big name players/contracts that we need to have replacements on the roster for.

As I say, players may emerge, but for me LT, Edge, CB, we need to be secure at.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2019 at 1:54 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah before the Haskins stuff we really did not have a QB. I was expecting 2-14/4-12.

Now, probably 6-10ish. Maybe 8-8

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Posted (edited)

Just got done watching some Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins throws just to try and get a feel for why New York would take Daniel Jones that high. I'll say this, Daniel Jones is the real deal, he's getting some unnecessary flak from the media in my opinion. His throws and ball placement are absolutely on point, NFL caliber ball placement with the ball placed where only his terrible receivers would have been able to catch them. You have to ignore his completion percentage because he really did have some terrible WRs on his team. He has that ability to sneak balls into windows before the CBs or Safeties even know they've been beat. He also moves around in the pocket pretty well and can feel pressure when it's coming. He doesn't have a strong arm, but it doesn't need to be. On short and intermediate throws he has plenty of zip on the ball. To be honest, he reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck without the unnecessary hype out of College. 

When I watched Dwayne I noticed some good things and some bad things. Since ignored Daniel Jones' completion percentage, I need to be unbiased with Haskins and ignore his 70% completion percentage. Good things I noticed about Dwayne is that he definitely understands what's going on with defenses on the football field. Him not understanding how to read defenses shouldn't be a concern of ours, I think he'll eventually get there... but so do most starting QBs. Dwayne has a much stronger arm than Daniel Jones, but it's almost like he doesn't use it like he should. Velocity and trajectory seem off on a few of his throws making the ball hang in the air much longer than it should be. He has choppy footwork (which is fixable) and a throwing motion i'm not sure will succeed in the NFL. Surprisingly though, it's his ball placement that is actually a real concern of mine, I noticed on multiple occasions where his receivers would have to slow down a lot for the ball that's been thrown. I also noticed how on a few occasions the defender wasn't even looking and Haskins threw it up and his receivers simply made a good play. Most of these would be surefire incompletions or interceptions in the NFL. I also walked away sold on McLaurin, he's a GREAT route runner and catches everything. He'll be a starter for us 100%. 

I'm no expert though and I haven't watched every throw. Either way you slice it, Haskins put up some incredible numbers in college and in my opinion will be at least a solid QB, but so will Daniel Jones. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

When I watched Dwayne I noticed some good things and some bad things. Since ignored Daniel Jones' completion percentage, I need to be unbiased with Haskins and ignore his 70% completion percentage.

This feels like a flawed methodology.  If you ignore one of the worst things about Jones and best things about Haskins, then sure, it's a lot easier to think Jones is as good as Haskins.

I don't think it's close between them.  I think Jones will work out for New York, but his ceiling is Eli.  An average starting QB.  Haskins has the potential to be an elite QB.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This feels like a flawed methodology.  If you ignore one of the worst things about Jones and best things about Haskins, then sure, it's a lot easier to think Jones is as good as Haskins.

I don't think it's close between them.  I think Jones will work out for New York, but his ceiling is Eli.  An average starting QB.  Haskins has the potential to be an elite QB.

When I said that I was simply saying I was looking beyond the stats. I'm just watching what I'm seeing and not trying to put the stats into perspective. I came away more impressed than I thought I would with Jones when when in comparison to his stats, and a little less impressed with Haskins then I thought I would in comparison with his stats in the end. I dont really see an inaccurate QB when I see Jones throw.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

40 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

When I said that I was simply saying I was looking beyond the stats. I'm just watching what I'm seeing and not trying to put the stats into perspective. I came away more impressed than I thought I would with Jones when when in comparison to his stats, and a little less impressed with Haskins then I thought I would in comparison with his stats in the end. I dont really see an inaccurate QB when I see Jones throw.

Were you watching highlights or game cutups? Not trying to be snarky at all, just curious. If you watched cutups, which games were they? I've watched all of the cutups I can find of both of them so that will give me an idea of what you were looking at.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Were you watching highlights or game cutups? Not trying to be snarky at all, just curious. If you watched cutups, which games were they? I've watched all of the cutups I can find of both of them so that will give me an idea of what you were looking at.

Im not taking this snarky at all. Guess I should have clarified, it was just all of the highlights I could find on them. Thats why I didnt mention anything about decision making or errant throws in my post. I'm no expert in this field but there are things you can pick up on a player even in highlights. Ball placement on completed passes, footwork, arm strength, which are things I touched on. 

I'm curious if you noticed anything different in the cut ups. If I had a bit more time I'd be watching them too lol. Work and school is currently doing me in though.