stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So we're stacked in total DB's.

Other than the top players who are locks, the talent may not be super high, but the competition level looks very tight among them.

So it should be interesting to see who gets cut, especially among the corners, whom we seem to have an abundance of slightly-above-average players.

( you may disagree about the "locks", and say that other players belong there, but to me it's irrelevant to my point, which is the tight competition level for just a few spots)

Locks are : Norman, Dunbar, Collins.

Besides that, there's also :

Stroman

Johnson

Holsey

Moreau

Moreland

Alexander

DRC

Apke

Nicholson

Everett

Reaves

Miller

We'll definitely see a few of our late round corners get cut from the last couple of years.

Apke

Miller

Holsey

Stroman or Johnson

Reaves

Alexander 

Are probably all cut. I don't see a starter in these players 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I watched some Kelvin Harmon and I'm going to post my thoughts in here because I don't like being critical in a player's welcome thread.

I definitely don't think he's a natural option for split end.  The ability to beat a press just isn't there.  IMO he's a big slot for sure.  The physicality and talent for working the middle of the field and beating zone coverage is there.  He's not that much worse than AJ Brown for this role, IMO.  But definitely not in Deebo's world.

Yeah that's been the knock on him with college DB's so it will be tougher in the pros. He bullied DB's for separation. He will be really good in the slot, outside especially if playing smaller DBs and killer in the red zone. Love the physicality he has to his all around game including blocking

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We'll definitely see a few of our late round corners get cut from the last couple of years.

Apke

Miller

Holsey

Stroman or Johnson

Reaves

Alexander 

Apke will make this roster and I bet Adonis will be playing free safety this year.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mh86 said:

How do you feel about his game speed? I know that’s one of his bigger knocks, but sometimes people just play faster than they actually are. I feel like that’s a pretty big deal to pair with Haskins’ game

He's not very fast.  He's fairly quick off the line and he's quick out of the break, but he doesn't have good build up or long speed.  He's a short strider.

He's the opposite of McLaurin as an athlete.  Quicker than fast, whereas McLaurin is faster than quick.  Harmon wins with size and strength.  Boxing out DBs and being physical with them during the contact window and at the point of catch.  Contested catching was his most notable strength that I saw.  His strongest area of the field is right over the middle.  I think he's 100% a big slot and not an outside receiver.  By big slot I mean a different role than the quintessential Julian Edelman/Tyreek Hill/Travis Benjamin/Cole Beasley little slot type.  Think instead of Tyler Boyd, Mohammad Sanu, Adam Thielen, and  Ju Ju Smith-Schuster.  I think you can develop his technique as a run blocker and he can grow into quite a good and natural big slot, and probably be our best option at the position by the end of his rookie season.

By contrast, I think McLaurin is definitely a flanker.  I think he can play in different alignments, but that should be his best one.

Doctson is going to be our best X receiver.  He's really the only decent option at the position that we have.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Apke

Miller

Holsey

Stroman or Johnson

Reaves

Alexander 

They aren't giving up on Apke yet. Stroman got a really good PFF grade last year among rookie CBs so I doubt they give up on him, either.

Last year #Redskins Greg Stroman (@IAM_GSIII) finished 5th in overall grade among rookie CBs with a 70.0. Not bad for the 241st overall pick. #HTTR
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So....after a decade of seeing the results of Bruce Allen.  Of seeing him drive half the fanbase away, to historic lows, you think that A. because its a good draft on paper it will be a good draft in 2 years, and B. Its Bruce Allen who did it despite NEVER being able to do that before, rather than someone else in the building?

Ill be honest, that doesnt seem too rational to me.  

Hi friend.

Let me know where I said either of those things :)

Wes Martin was my favorite pick. Can’t really say why. 

To to me he seems like one of those guys who will never be a star but will be a solid player for 8-10 years. Like an Ioannidis or Jon Jansen. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not very fast.  He's fairly quick off the line and he's quick out of the break, but he doesn't have good build up or long speed.  He's a short strider.

He's the opposite of McLaurin as an athlete.  Quicker than fast, whereas McLaurin is faster than quick.  Harmon wins with size and strength.  Boxing out DBs and being physical with them during the contact window and at the point of catch.  Contested catching was his most notable strength that I saw.  His strongest area of the field is right over the middle.  I think he's 100% a big slot and not an outside receiver.  By big slot I mean a different role than the quintessential Julian Edelman/Tyreek Hill/Travis Benjamin/Cole Beasley little slot type.  Think instead of Tyler Boyd, Mohammad Sanu, Adam Thielen, and  Ju Ju Smith-Schuster.  I think you can develop his technique as a run blocker and he can grow into quite a good and natural big slot, and probably be our best option at the position by the end of his rookie season.

By contrast, I think McLaurin is definitely a flanker.  I think he can play in different alignments, but that should be his best one.

Doctson is going to be our best X receiver.  He's really the only decent option at the position that we have.

His hands are exceptional and he makes great contested catches. Which he has to do, because he gets no separation, ever.

My concern is Haskins is so smart and careful with the ball, that he never throws to Harmon, because he doesn’t look open. I think it would be similar if Cousins was the QB.

Hopefully they build a rapport on back shoulder throws, because if so, he will be deadly.

I think both WRs make the roster and are productive. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/way-too-early-2020-nfl-draft-mock-draft

Here are 32 of the top names to know for next season.

1.MIAMI DOLPHINS

Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

With quarterback Josh Rosen now on the roster I don't see the Dolphins needing a quarterback at No. 1. Instead I think they'll benefit just as much by picking an absolute freak of an edge rusher in Chase Young. 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, wears No. 2, has dreadlocks. What more could you want? Young and Bosa were unblockable on the same defensive line when both were on the field in 2018. Young recorded 14.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks last season.

2.ARIZONA CARDINALS

Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

The Cardinals not only added their franchise quarterback in Kyler Murray this past draft weekend, but they also gave him some weapons in the 2019 draft with Andy Isabella and Hakeem Butler at the receiver position. But the additions shouldn't stop there. Jeudy has been one of the best receivers in college football for two years and will continue to be as long as he's healthy.

You won't find a better route runner.

"You mean "a better route runner in *college football*", right?"

No, I don't.

3.OAKLAND RAIDERS

Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Derek Carr's lone good year is proving itself too be an outlier the more time seems to go on. If that continues, they'll be in the market for a quarterback. Tua will likely be the highest profile QB to go in the Top 5.

4.CINCINNATI BENGALS

Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

I thought the Bengals would end up with Drew Lock or Dwayne Haskins when all was said and done in the 2019 NFL Draft, but that didn't happen. Next year the quarterback question will be even more bold for the Bengals, and they'll need to be more urgent in selecting one. Herbert will compete for the QB1 title in the 2020 class, as he was highly regarded going into last season, too.

5.BUFFALO BILLS

Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

"What's this guy's name? Lavis--Laviska?"

You're damn right it is, and you better get to knowing it.

The name of the game in Buffalo is weapons for quarterback Josh Allen, and it doesn't get much better than Laviska Shenault. Over 1,000 yards and 11 total touchdowns in just nine games in 2018. 2019 could even better, and if it is, he'll be a big name in a star-studded wide receiver group.

6.NEW YORK JETS

CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

Lamb was a big-time playmaker for Kyler Murray during the quarterback's Heisman campaign in 2018, and Lamb did that in all kinds of ways. He wins with size, strength and speed -- a true WR1 at the next level.

7.DETROIT LIONS

Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

The Lions were likely deciding between T.J. Hockenson and Ed Oliver in the Top 10 of the 2019 NFL Draft. They ended up going with Hockenson, which makes me think they'd take the other side of that coin, if given the chance again, in the 2020 draft. Davis, at 6-foot-7, 300 pounds, is one of the best run defenders in the country, and he showed some pass rush ability in flashes, too.

8.WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Trey Smith, OL, Tennessee

Trey Smith was a former No. 1 overall recruit coming out of high school. He was an offensive tackle coming into Tennessee, but has since moved to the inside. Since then he's been totally dominant with some potential to be a tackle in the future.

9.DENVER BRONCOS

Grant Delpit, S, LSU

Simply put: Grant Delpit was one of, if not the, best players in all of college football last year. His impact from the safety position was unmatched with how he played in coverage. Plus his ball skills for takeaways can make an impact all over the field. He could very well be a Top 5 pick.

10.TENNESSEE TITANS

Grant Calcaterra, TE, Oklahoma

I am not sure how much stock the Titans have in Jonnu Smith, but even if they still really like him, Calcaterra is an athletic freak from the position and would be a welcomed addition for whoever is playing quarterback in Tennessee.

11.TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa

Jason Pierre-Paul ain't gettin' any younger. Epenesa is a 6-foot-5, 270-pound freak of an edge defender who had 10.5 sacks last season as a sophomore.

12.SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Honestly, Bryce Hall should have declared for the 2019 NFL Draft; he had the potential to be a first round pick. But, he didn't, and instead he'll be a first round pick a year later. Hall's game comes with strong man coverage ability to be a true lockdown cornerback at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds.

13.CAROLINA PANTHERS

Walker Little, OT, Stanford

Panthers drafted Greg Little in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft, but I still forecast their biggest need is going to be on the offensive line -- barring it's not quarterback if Cam Newton's injury proves to be worse than we thought. Little was Co-Freshman of the Year in the Pac-12.

14.NEW YORK GIANTS

Andrew Thomas, OL, Georgia

Thomas has played both right and left tackle in his first two seasons as a starter for Georgia. Long, powerful and has the fundamentals you like to see as a foundation going to the next level. He can be a potential starter at right tackle immediately for the Giants, depending on what happens in 2019.

15.JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia

The Jaguars didn't draft a quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft, holding firm to what they said when the signed Nick Foles. But I think even they know Foles isn't the long-term answer. Fromm isn't a guy who I want to start right away in the NFL, but I think this would be a good situational fit for both the Jaguars and Fromm to get the most of a mid-round quarterback selection in round one.

o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feels good to have a qb and be able to take pure bpa in the first again, without having to worry about the future.  We can take luxury positions like safety and center and tight end in the first round.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feels good to have a qb and be able to take pure bpa in the first again, without having to worry about the future.  We can take luxury positions like safety and center and tight end in the first round.

I know they couldn't do everything in the draft but that's the main thing I didn't like no TE.  And this IMO was a TE rich draft.

I got to start digesting the new crop. I already know I got massive man crushes on Jeudy and Lamb.  Ruggs flashs to me at times too but doesn't seem as well rounded.    I've seen them all play in person and IMO they are likely #1 type studs in the NFL.  This won't be like the last draft where we wonder if there are any obvious #1 type WRs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Apke

Miller

Holsey

Stroman or Johnson

Reaves

Alexander 

DB is a position where not being a starter doesn't mean you're high on the chopping block.  I see Holsey and Apke or Alexander sticking

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Wes Martin was my favorite pick. Can’t really say why. 

To to me he seems like one of those guys who will never be a star but will be a solid player for 8-10 years. Like an Ioannidis or Jon Jansen. 

If you're hunting on draft day, that means you're gonna be a damn good lineman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Adonis Alexander is legit. I feel with his size and speed he may be the best option of the young bunch. 

Stroman is also good but I see AA39 as a potential JNO replacement. 

25 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Adonis Alexander is legit. I feel with his size and speed he may be the best option of the young bunch. 

Stroman is also good but I see AA39 as a potential JNO replacement. 

Really?  Most people don't even see him as an NFL CB

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, carex said:

Really?  Most people don't even see him as an NFL CB

I think this is the year he will show his worth. He’s good on the outside. Especially at man. He needed work at zone so hopefully with a year under his belt he’s good to go there. 

He was rated pretty decently before his troubles in school which caused him to be a supplemental pick. 

Hes my favorite of the youngsters. 

Edited by skinsfan212689
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I think this is the year he will show his worth. He’s good on the outside. Especially a man. He needed work at zone so hopefully with a year under his belt he’s good to go there. 

He was rated pretty decently before before his troubles in school which caused him to be a supplemental pick. 

Hes my favorite of the youngsters. 

let me just clarify, I didn't mean that people didn't think he was an NFL player, I just recall people thinking he was more suited for safety than CB in NFL

Wonder why the Redskins didn't have a draft party at Fedex field like last year.  I know they had the party at the Anthem on draft day, but would have been nice to have a weekend party during the day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, carex said:

let me just clarify, I didn't mean that people didn't think he was an NFL player, I just recall people thinking he was more suited for safety than CB in NFL

Oh I see. I can see why people would say that. I’d hope we try him at outside Corner and then decide. But who knows. I get the Safety argument though. 

Edited by skinsfan212689
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, volsmet said:

You may need a closer look. 

Not everyone is Kaden Elliss good. If you don’t make it at Idaho, you go to Notre Dame, Clemson or Wisconsin.

I can't help but not think that's textbook PI. Receiver didn't slip, he was off balance coming out of a cut and the DB forces him to the ground to prevent him from getting to the ball. 

Posted (edited)

Overall - I wasn't a fan of Haskins, I really hoped Jones fell to us, but once the G-men snagged him I knew it would be Haskins, big numbers in an extremely talented college offense, which I have seen 1 QB after another fall on their faces in the NFL. But...as a lifelong fan of the Skins I will hope for the best!!!

The c/g from Alabama I am not in love with, I can't pronounce his name, so i wont spell it either :) he's nothing more than depth my guess is, I just would rather our depth have starting potential, the man has good size, but as the saying goes; looks like Tarzan...plays like Jane.

As for the Love pick; wasn't a fan at all at the time of the pick, perhaps if he were not coming off a major knee surgery I might have felt better about it, if the intent here is to replace Thompson who can't stay healthy? I believe we did, as Love is a much better running back than Thompson, but has to show he can do it in the short passing game, which is where his real value will lie, and I think he will be able to do so, as his type of running style is very productive in a more wide open game like college, but breaking arm tackles and muscling your way for extra couple of yards is the way of the NFL, as those home run hitters usually wiff in the NFL if they do not possess adequate power at the next level, so if Jay and the rest of the crew like him and have a plan for him, I am on board! Tough to do any better with the second to last pick in the draft than this kid 
Jordan Brailford, OLB Oklahoma State. 

As for the rest of the draft? I can say I pretty much loved it, they found some real gems IMO, as well as in the free agent signings Steven Sims jr, love this guy, his playing speed exceeds his 40 time, an electric type WR, and JoJo McIntosh S. Now I know there will only be 1 Sean Taylor, but this kid hits like he's doing everything he can to be S. Taylor!!! 

If our offense can give our defense sufficient rest this upcoming season, our defense will be vicious!!! 

Edited by THE HAMMER'IN HOG

1 hour ago, carex said:

Not that Keim’s word is gold here but though I’d post it since we were discussing. 

Hail

• Like 2

13 hours ago, teamcal00 said:

quizguy66 says:

I believe the Giants believe this.
I also believe Washington blew smoke about their front office beind “divided” between Haskins and Jones to induce the Giants to blow their earlier pick on him.

Outsmarted by Danny Snyder. Go figure.

:rofl89:

• Haha 1

Disappointing. Which player on the Redskins can snap this dreadful streak? I think Kerrigan possibly,or Trent Williams, Older players but possible. More likely though Allen, Sweat, Guice, Scherff, Haskins. 

https://clutchpoints.com/redskins-news-widely-praised-draft-performance-might-break-a-specific-and-significant-drought-in-d-c/amp/

While the Pats have drafted 10 All-Pros, the Bills and Dolphins have drafted just one each since 2000 (just one team has not drafted a single First-Team All-Pro this century: the Washington Redskins).