Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

24. JORDAN BRAILFORD | Oklahoma St. 6025 | 252 lbs. | rJR. Tulsa, Okla. (Booker T. Washington) 10/9/1995 (age 23.56) #94 BACKGROUND: A three-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Jordan Brailford played defensive end and linebacker at Booker T. Washington (where he was teammates with fellow Oklahoma State draft prospect Justice Hill) and was also a member of the track team. After posting 98 tackles and 11.0 sacks as a junior, he recorded 105 tackles and 9.0 sacks as a senior to earn First Team All-State honors. Brailford was the No. 8 recruit in the state of Oklahoma and considered offers from Baylor, Kansas State and Texas Tech before signing with Oklahoma State. He redshirted in 2014 due to injury and received a medical redshirt in 2016, giving him a sixth season of eligibility. However, Brailford elected to skip his final year and enter the 2019 NFL Draft. He accepted his invitation to the 2019 East-West Shrine Game. YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES 2014: Redshirted 2015: (10/0) 23 3.5 1.0 0 0 0 2016: Missed the season due to injury Medical Redshirt 2017: (13/9) 57 10.5 5.0 1 1 1 Second Team All-Big 12 2018: (13/13) 54 16.0 9.0 1 1 0 First Team All-Big 12; Team Captain; Led Big 12 in sacks per game (0.69) Total: (36/22) 134 30.0 15.0 2 2 1 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6025 252 32 1/2 09 1/8 77 3/4 4.65 2.73 1.62 37 1/2 10’06” - - 22 (no shuttle or 3-cone – choice) PRO DAY - - - - - 4.35 7.44 - (stood on Combine runs, jumps, bench)

STRENGTHS: Gets upfield in a hurry due to his initial burst…effective hand use to win the corner, using various chop and rip moves…dips his shoulder and uses lean at the top of his rush…efficient spin move, both inside and outside…heavy-handed and looks to engage before blockers set up…his motor allows him to clean up the messes of teammates…graduated with a degree in Business Management (December 2018)…voted a team captain in 2018…productive final year, leading the team in sacks (9.0) and tackles for loss (16.0).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size and length by NFL standards…undeveloped counter moves…has slight tightness in his hips and can be knocked off balance…appears aimless at times in his rush, relying more on effort than efficiency…needs to better piece together his pass rush plan…inconsistent results when attempting to convert speed to power…struggles to handle extra attention and can be slowed down by tight ends…medical history requires vetting: missed the 2014 season after surgery on his left leg to repair a fractured tibia from high school; missed the 2016 season due to a stress fracture in his right shin, requiring surgery; underwent surgery to repair shoulder damage (April 2017).

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Oklahoma State, Brailford was a hybrid edge player in Jim Knowles’ 4-2-5 base, seeing snaps at defensive end and middle linebacker. That versatility helped create opportunities for added production and he finished the 2018 season with a conference-best 0.69 sacks per game. Although his injury history could be an issue, Brailford finished strong with 22 straight starts to finish his career in Stillwater. He runs the arc with quickness, body lean and pad level, matching his quick get-off with equally effective hustle. Overall, Brailford isn’t a consistent stack-and-shed player and shows stiffness in space, but he has value due to his determined pass rush, projecting as an NFL reserve if he stays healthy

3 hours ago, Morrison J said:

Right. Well anyway, I believe Harmon is going to be a legit #WR1. You can hold me to that. 

I’m an NCSU grad and have seen every snap of his career...he’s better than Doctson today. I think he’s more of a #2 guy, but he’s a legit starter. Shocked he fell so far.

Holy **** I've never seen a draft this good by the skins.. 

Someone did their homework and whoever was managing the draft did an excellent job as well. 

Our team is so much better in a manner of 3 days and we really made up on the talent level compared to the upper echelon of teams in the nfl. 

Only real question for me is that our qb position is a bit of a gamble.

A- from me. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Man, Arizona had a really nice draft.

Yep and the Mrs even got a couple of T Shirts from them.  She was in Tombstone waiting for my daughter and they did their day 3 draft from there (Had no idea they were going to). Figures the one who had no interest in the draft between the two of us went to a draft function (by accident).

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If this is the Kyle Smith effect, we better not let him get poached. Still need to see the potential realized on the field, but we have had three pretty good drafts in a row (on paper)

This is usually when Bruce Allen flexes his muscles and pushes person stealing his thunder out.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm very surprised the Te'Von Coney, Tre Lamar, and TJ Edwards haven't been drafted.  Tough year for ILBs.

Many of the ILB's fell much further than expected yesterday and today.  I thought for sure Coney would be selected as well as Joe Giles-Harris. All 4 are ballers but a little limited in speed/range which evidently is the name of the game these days.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, this was a fun thread and an important draft.  I enjoyed it a ton gentlemen.  And I'll probably keep posting in it throughout the offseason.  We'll fire the next one up in August.

tenor.gif?itemid=8462734

Yes really good draft. 

I will be interested to see how they address the TE position moving forward.

My guess is they planned on a couple guys who went just before they were to pick in Stern, Warring and Wesco. Funny how Buffalo picked Knox when they traded out in the third round.

Can't wait to see if they have a backup plan or if it was always a plan

Yeah, another year ignoring TE and FS, but we've got a ton of holes. We addressed speed and culture, as well as the online, so it's hard not to be happy. Maybe we got our triplets now. Who knows. Speed rusher should definitely transform our defense and cover the holes in the secondary. We're better and younger and faster, with high character guys.

6 hours ago, Morrison J said:

Whats so absurd? Josh Doctson was our WR#1 last year. Hardly what you'd call tough shoes to fill. 

Watch more of him. He'll body catch all game and then grab one outside his frame perfectly. His hands are literally his best asset. Can make every catch, 

Nothing is a bigger red flag than a WR that prefers not to catch with his hands.  That should be your natural instinct, if its not, thats a serious problem.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m disturbed by how much I love this draft. It makes me think Bruce Allen may be better than I think. And that scares the crap out of me. He’s swindling me here and I know it. 

But I can’t help it. This draft has been amazing.

So....after a decade of seeing the results of Bruce Allen.  Of seeing him drive half the fanbase away, to historic lows, you think that A. because its a good draft on paper it will be a good draft in 2 years, and B. Its Bruce Allen who did it despite NEVER being able to do that before, rather than someone else in the building?

Ill be honest, that doesnt seem too rational to me.  

44 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Nothing is a bigger red flag than a WR that prefers not to catch with his hands.  That should be your natural instinct, if its not, thats a serious problem.

So....after a decade of seeing the results of Bruce Allen.  Of seeing him drive half the fanbase away, to historic lows, you think that A. because its a good draft on paper it will be a good draft in 2 years, and B. Its Bruce Allen who did it despite NEVER being able to do that before, rather than someone else in the building?

Ill be honest, that doesnt seem too rational to me.  

Allen has had good drafts before (Previous 2) His problem is then not paying the drafted picks at the most opportune times once they produce either pissing them off making them too expensive to retain or both.  I won't be surprised if he doesn't extend Scherf before he becomes a free agent (and more expensive).

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

That’s not true.

26 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Allen has had good drafts before (Previous 2) His problem is then not paying the drafted picks at the most opportune times once they produce either pissing them off making them too expensive to retain or both.  I won't be surprised if he doesn't extend Scherf before he becomes a free agent (and more expensive).

If Allen let us take things over we’d win 7 SBs in the next 3 years.

I watched some Kelvin Harmon and I'm going to post my thoughts in here because I don't like being critical in a player's welcome thread.

- Tall, rangey athlete with solid build.

- Good play strength.  Physical in the contact window.

- Plucked with pretty reliable hands

- Tough in traffic

- short strider with pretty good speed coming out of the stem

- Decent leaper who showed highpoint skill

- Good body control with ability to make plays along the sideline

- Highly willing if not particularly effective run blocker

- Clever receiver who can find tons of space in zone seams as break off routes to salvage broken plays

- Build up speed is limited

- struggles to release against the press

- Struggles to separate against man, especially for the vertical breaks

I definitely don't think he's a natural option for split end.  The ability to beat a press just isn't there.  IMO he's a big slot for sure.  The physicality and talent for working the middle of the field and beating zone coverage is there.  He's not that much worse than AJ Brown for this role, IMO.  But definitely not in Deebo's world.

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I definitely don't think he's a natural option for split end.  The ability to beat a press just isn't there.  IMO he's a big slot for sure.  The physicality and talent for working the middle of the field and beating zone coverage is there.  He's not that much worse than AJ Brown for this role, IMO.  But definitely not in Deebo's world.

How do you feel about his game speed? I know that’s one of his bigger knocks, but sometimes people just play faster than they actually are. I feel like that’s a pretty big deal to pair with Haskins’ game

So we're stacked in total DB's.

Other than the top players who are locks, the talent may not be super high, but the competition level looks very tight among them.

So it should be interesting to see who gets cut, especially among the corners, whom we seem to have an abundance of slightly-above-average players.

( you may disagree about the "locks", and say that other players belong there, but to me it's irrelevant to my point, which is the tight competition level for just a few spots)

Locks are : Norman, Dunbar, Collins.

Besides that, there's also :

Stroman

Johnson

Holsey

Moreau

Moreland

Alexander

DRC

Apke

Nicholson

Everett