• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      The home team fans are at home, these games no longer matter, and it’s probably better for the team to lose than it is to win.  It must be December in Washington.  Welcome to week 15!

Redskins Inactive: 
      Colt McCoy  
      Trey Quinn 
      Quinton Dunbar  
      Josh Harvey-Clemons  
      Ross Pierschbacher  
      Brandon Scherff  
      Caleb Wilson  

Eagles Inactive: 
      Nate Sudfeld  
      Nelson Agholor 
      Jordan Howard  
      Shareef Miller 
      Lane Johnson  
      Sua Opeta  
      Derek Barnet

There are two camps for Redskins fans at this time of year.  Those that want to tank and those that want to win.  If this describes you, I want you to know something important. You’re wrong.  You should probably feel bad about it too, but that’s your business.  The right way to go about this, is simply to embrace the double think.  
      Before and after the game it’s perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that losing has its advantages.  It does and it is undeniable.  Afterall we could be talking about the difference between Chase Young being in a Redskins uniform, or not.  What we need for that to happen is simple.  Redskins lose out.  Giants beat the Dolphins and Redskins.  Dolphins beat the Bengals.  All of these things are perfectly reasonable outcomes.  We’re that close to having an elite pass rusher.   

Before that happens, we have a game to play.  It is in this moment that we should embrace the other side of our demented double think.  While the game is being played, especially against a division opponent, fans should want their team to do well.  Assuming they have a soul and any decency.  There is just no way that I can root for the Eagles to beat the Redskins during a game.  If you are the type of fan that does this, I hope you find someone that can fix what has broken inside of you.   

Pregame Prediction:  Redskins 23 – Eagles 30  
      More interesting game we are missing because we are still watching the Redskins:  Packers – Bears  
      Things I am snacking on:  Brownie.   
      Number of colons used:  Six.  (so far)  

Check back for updates.  I’m going to wander around the room for a while and stretch my legs to get away from a certain well-known ESPN Eagle fan’s boring conversations that my ear phones aren’t blocking out entirely.

stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

We need a LG. Ben Powers-6-5 314 really smart player and can come in a compete with E. Flowers for the position right away. No more projects.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

TE Kahale Warring is a guy who visited per JP - EDIT not available

Edited by HigSkin

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

TE Kahale Warring is a guy who visited and still on the board per JP.

He was Pick 86.

Posted (edited)

Jay supposedly wanted a TE in this draft, pickings left are slim.

As I mentioned this week I liked what I saw from Alize Mack but I also read he's a head case.  So IMO the next best guy left is Foster Moreau.

If they get another receiver, I like Butler hands down but if he's gone, Kelvin Harmon.  My highlight yesterday at receiver was the Steelers (who seem to do no wrong at that spot) taking my guy Diontae Johnson and early in the draft. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who do you cut to make room for a second rookie WR though?

Richardson

McLaurin 

Doctson

Quinn

Davis

Quick

Chesson

Kidsy

McBride

Second rookie

have to pare that list down to 5 or 6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Richardson

McLaurin 

Doctson

Quinn

Davis

Quick

Chesson

Kidsy

McBride

Second rookie

That list doesnt include Cam Sims either

As far as I'm concerned, nobody on that list is safe outside of maybe Richardson.  Davis is my feel good, root for story, but that doesn't mean didly between the sidelines.  Everyone on that list could be upgraded.  Chesson, Kidsy, McBride, and even Sims to a point are feel good stories.  Sims flashed in preseason, and Im very interested in seeing what he can do, but at this point I have a hard time saying they can't be upgraded.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Richardson

McLaurin 

Doctson

Quinn

Davis

Quick

Chesson

Kidsy

McBride

Second rookie

Richardson, McLaurin, Doctson, Quinn.  

Robert Davis is coming back from major surgery and hasn't proven anything.  Quick is a Jag.  I think they easily have one spot open let alone two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Richardson

McLaurin 

Doctson

Quinn

Davis

Quick

Chesson

Kidsy

McBride

Second rookie

We do this every year with our receivers, overestimating what we have. Our receiving corp was garbage last year. 

Quick, Chesson, McBride, Kidsy are all on the bubble. Even davis off surgery. 

Richardson, mclaurin, doctson, Quinn, Butler(or other rookie) + one of the others seems perfectly reasonable. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kavontae Turpin....poor man's Hollywood Brown

Edited by teamcal00
Double post
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Dianna was assigned to specifically cover the Redskins in the draft this year.  Most, If not all of her tweets pertaining to the draft are about the Skins this year.

Didn't know that.  For some reason thought she was more of a national reporter.

Stanley Morgan is a WR I'm interested in later in the draft.

Really sucks that decent OL and TE prospects are all gone.  Those are two major need areas.  I mean...we still don't have a LG on the roster.  What do we do now, re-sign the often injured guys like Lauvao or Cooper again?

Posted (edited)

Phil Haynes offensive guard from Wake Forest # 74.... I would not be disappointed if we took him. Looks like an upgrade at left guard. I really like Dru samia versatility.

Edited by teamcal00
  • Thanks 1

The FO has done a good job, so far. Anyone needed to plug holes on the starting OL is probably going to have to come from other teams' cuts, though. I am a little concerned about that.

31 minutes ago, teamcal00 said:

Kavontae Turpin....poor man's Hollywood Brown

I'd love to add a piece like him, but he's already got 2 strikes against him.  I'd be concerned about what the long term would hold for him.  It looks like his charges aren't going to be resolved any time soon, as the best I could find was a 'pre trial hearing' that was supposed to take place on April 18 in New Mexico, and the charges is Texas are still 'pending.'

I would believe that if anyone drafts him, or signs him, he's instantly placed on the exempt list until these legal issues are resolved.  Maybe someone takes a late round flier on him, but right now i'd guess he's borderline radioactive. 

Posted (edited)

I think they either go TE - Nauta, Moreau or OL Jordan, Samia Gaillard or Forbes with the first pick

I like Samia and Nauta first.

I could see them take Haskins C Jordan who can play G/C

Hope Butler is gone when the Skins pick or I will really want him. Feel like a couple of WR's and QB,s might go quickly. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just saw that McGinn's top 100 (from scout sources) has been so far the most accurate among all the draft geeks lists as to what's happened so far-- at least among the well known ones.  Then if I recall it was Zeirlein and then McShay. 

Here's his top 100.  I am going to bold the ones I know are still available.  I might be missing some, too lazy to look them all up but from what I recall so correct me if I am missing some or got one wrong

OFFENSE (45)

Wide receivers (13) – DK Metcalf, Mississippi; N’Keal Harry, Arizona State; Marquise Brown, Oklahoma (pictured above); A.J. Brown, Mississippi; Parris Campbell, Ohio State; Deebo Samuel, South Carolina; Riley Ridley, Georgia; Mecole Hardman, Georgia; Hakeem Butler, Iowa State; JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford; Miles Boykin, Notre Dame; Terry McLaurin, Ohio State; Diontae Johnson, Toledo. 

Tight ends (6) – T.J. Hockenson, Iowa; Noah Fant, Iowa; Irv Smith, Alabama; Drew Sample, Washington; Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M; Josh Oliver, San Jose State.

Tackles (5) – Andre Dillard, Washington State; Jawaan Taylor, Florida; Kaleb McGary, Washington; Greg Little, Mississippi; Tytus Howard, Alabama State. 

Guards (7) – Cody Ford, Oklahoma; Chris Lindstrom, Boston College; Max Scharping, Northern Illinois; Dalton Risner, Kansas State; Connor McGovern, Penn State; Nate Davis, NC-Charlotte; Michael Deiter, Wisconsin.

Centers (4) – Garrett Bradbury, North Carolina State; Erik McCoy, Texas A&M; Jonah Williams, Alabama; Elgton Jenkins, Mississippi State.

Quarterbacks (4) – Kyler Murray, Oklahoma; Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State; Drew Lock, Missouri; Daniel Jones, Duke.

Running backs (6) – Josh Jacobs, Alabama; Damien Harris, Alabama; David Montgomery, Iowa State; Darrell Henderson, Memphis; Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic; Miles Sanders, Penn State.

DEFENSE (55)

Defensive line (14) – Quinnen Williams, Alabama; Rashan Gary, Michigan; Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi State; Ed Oliver, Houston; Christian Wilkins, Clemson; Dexter Lawrence, Clemson; Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame; Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State; Zach Allen, Boston College; Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois; Trysten Hill, Central Florida; L.J. Collier, Texas Christian; Gerald Willis, Miami; John Cominsky, Charleston.

Edge rushers (13) – Nick Bosa, Ohio State; Josh Allen, Kentucky; Montez Sweat, Mississippi State; Clelin Ferrell, Clemson; Brian Burns, Florida State; Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech; Jachai Polite, Florida; Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion; Chase Winovich, Michigan; Joe Jackson, Miami; Ben Banogu, Texas Christian; Anthony Nelson, Iowa; D’Andre Walker, Georgia.

Linebackers (8) – Devin White, Louisiana State; Devin Bush, Michigan; Mack Wilson, Alabama; Bobby Okereke, Stanford; Germaine Pratt, North Carolina State; Cody Barton, Utah; Sione Takitaki, Brigham Young; Ben Burr-Kirven, Washington.

Cornerbacks (12) – Byron Murphy, Washington; Greedy Williams, Louisiana State; Deandre Baker, Georgia; Rock Ya-Sin, Temple; Trayvon Mullen, Clemson; Lonnie Johnson, Kentucky; Sean Bunting, Central Michigan; Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt; David Long, Michigan; Jeremy Layne, Michigan State; Kendall Sheffield, Ohio State; Julian Love, Notre Dame.

Safeties (8) – Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State; Taylor Rapp, Washington; Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida; Nasir Adderley, Delaware; Juan Thornhill, Virginia; Darnell Savage, Maryland; Marquise Blair, Utah; Will Harris, Boston College.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd love to add a piece like him, but he's already got 2 strikes against him.  I'd be concerned about what the long term would hold for him.  It looks like his charges aren't going to be resolved any time soon, as the best I could find was a 'pre trial hearing' that was supposed to take place on April 18 in New Mexico, and the charges is Texas are still 'pending.'

I would believe that if anyone drafts him, or signs him, he's instantly placed on the exempt list until these legal issues are resolved.  Maybe someone takes a late round flier on him, but right now i'd guess he's borderline radioactive. 

Good point...i think late round flyer might be the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing us take a shot of him with one of our 7th round picks. His talent is inarguable though

3 minutes ago, teamcal00 said:

Good point...i think late round flyer might be the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing us take a shot of him with one of our 7th round picks. His talent is inarguable though

Don't forget that these charges are domestic violence, and the NFL is very.... involved when it comes to those sort of things.  

I don't want to get into a debate about him so i'm going to be generic when i say this, but regardless of the outcome, there will be a PR hit to whatever team decides to pick him up... if he ever actually suits up.  A team like ours likely will have a bigger backlash than most.  

Guys I want:

Safeties: Gardner-Johnson, Thompson, or Hooker

G/C: M.Jordan, Gaillard, Samia, and/or Pierschbacher

OT: Prince or Bates

WR: Butler, Harmon, Hall, Ridley, Sills, J. Myers, or Humphrey

TE: Moreau, Wilson, Nauta, Raymond, or Mack

CB: Love or S. Smith

ILB: M. Wilson

Edge: Jelks, Granderson, C. Miller

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Richardson

McLaurin 

Doctson

Quinn

Davis

Quick

Chesson

Kidsy

McBride

Second rookie

I respect your opinion and even when we differ, your position is always very well thought out and supported. We have terrible receivers. Our top 4 receivers are probably all number 3 receiver quality and everyone behind that is riding the bench behind the 3 JAG's. And Richardson is always hurt. If we had more picks, I'd love to see us add Hakeem Butler and Turpin. 

I agree that we have lousy receivers who are expendable, but the problem is a 4th round rookie can have way higher upside than guys above him, but still struggle to make the team because of his natural unreliability.  Usually hard to keep two rookies who aren't ready to go year one.  McLaurin would be safe in the short term because of his ST ability.  But Butler + McLaurin + Doctson + Quinn + Richardson is one of the most alarmingly inexperienced groups in the league.

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I respect your opinion and even when we differ, your position is always very well thought out and supported. We have terrible receivers. Our top 4 receivers are probably all number 3 receiver quality and everyone behind that is riding the bench behind the 3 JAG's. And Richardson is always hurt. If we had more picks, I'd love to see us add Hakeem Butler and Turpin. 

IMO Butler will be gone before the Skins select. He is the best player available. I would love it if they add Turpin but would rather a few other needs are addressed with the next couple of picks. G, ILB, TE and DB.

If we were to get Butler, I think you have to carry 6 receivers and then spend some money to get an experienced veteran who can be counted on, and then basically red shirt Butler for the year as one of your inactives.

I love Butler.  Can't believe he's fallen this far.  And I am a BPA guy, I just worry about carrying two rookies in a single position group, no matter what group it is.

24 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Guys I want:

Safeties: Gardner-Johnson, Thompson, or Hooker

G/C: M.Jordan, Gaillard, Samia, and/or Pierschbacher

OT: Prince or Bates

WR: Butler, Harmon, Hall, Ridley, Sills, J. Myers, or Humphrey

TE: Moreau, Wilson, Nauta, Raymond, or Mack

CB: Love or S. Smith

ILB: M. Wilson

Edge: Jelks, Granderson, C. Miller

No Walker at edge?