stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Did we just trade down from #96?

Looks like....why is this thread dead anyway? Until just now, we had a pick coming up.

Looks like we're out of the 3rd round completely now.

Edited by Forehead

Does anyone know what we got for our pick? It looks like we traded with Buffalo.  I was counting on getting one of the better free safeties.  Hmmm..

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

Does anyone know what we got for our pick? It looks like we traded with Buffalo.  I was counting on getting one of the better free safeties.  Hmmm..

Odds are there aren't any good FS left in the draft.  That's one of the most difficult positions in the league.

Lot picks tomorrow 

2 x 4

2 x 5

1 x 6 

2 x 7 

Maybe they can take some risks on late round gems.

• Like 4

Sorry if this was posted, but love it...

https://twitter.com/OhioStateFB/status/1121975855511678976

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Scouts on some of the guys left

3. CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON, Florida (5-11, 208, 4.46, 2-3): Started at FS as a true freshman in 2016 and then again in ’17 before moving to the slot in ’18. “He’s probably the best athlete at safety other than (Darnell) Savage, maybe better,” said one scout. “Played nickel this year. Better in nick right now. He’s got really good hips, feet, quickness and man cover skills. He just struggled playing safety. Really poor spatial awareness and angles. Tons of missed tackles form the deep part of the field.” Finished with 161 tackles (15 ½ for loss), nine picks and 12 PBUs. “Florida has put out some great DBs over the last few years,” said a second scout. “Keanu Neal to Marcus Maye. This guy can play free safety and nickel.” Four or five safeties covered down in the slot last season but a third scout said CGJ was No. 1. “In underneath coverage he’s good,” a fourth scout said. “The more space he gets in, he gets in trouble. I don’t see his timed speed in his play. Not at all.” From Cocoa, Fla.

UNSUNG HERO

Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame: Started for 2 ½ years and broke up 35 passes. Ordinary size (5-10 1/2, 194), speed (4.51) and athletic ability. Viewed as a slot by many teams but also might be able to play outside. Considered one of the safer picks in the secondary.

11 ANTHONY NELSON, Iowa (6-7, 271, 4.83, 3): Fourth-year junior. “He’s more along the Zach Allen line than he is a rusher,” said one scout. “More of a big guy that will drop down inside and play as a subpackage rusher and then as a base end on first and second downs.” Highest Wonderlic score (39) at the position. Arms were 34 7/8, hands were 9 7/8. “He can gain 10, 15 pounds easy,” another scout said. “He can play the outside run and he’s got a little bit of anchor to him. He’s not some scrawny kid that doesn’t have any strength. He’s got some pass rush. He could get in the quarterback’s face.” Finished with 119 tackles (31 for loss) and 23 sacks. “Typical Iowa,” a third scout said. “Tough, play-hard type. Not a lot of moves. Second round would be a little rich for me.” From Urbandale, Iowa.

13. D’ANDRE WALKER, Georgia (6-2 ½, 253, no 40, 3): Two-year starter. “Just a tough, gritty guy,” said one scout. “Just maximizes what he’s got.” Came from nothing in Fairburn, Ga. Overcame academic obstacles because of his hard work. “Doesn’t have the same body type as the (top) guys but I like him,” said a second scout. “He can rush from a down position as an end more than being a run-down player. He can fit a 3-4 outside backer. He’s athletic enough to stand up. In the mold of Derrick Morgan, who played with the Titans. Not a dynamic sack guy. More of a pressure and hurry guy.” Finished with 112 tackles (27 ½ for loss) and 13 ½ sacks.

5. DRU SAMIA, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 306, 5.28, 2-3): Played RG next to Ford. “He’s a barroom brawler – he’s out of control,” one scout said. “You like him in the run game but he’ll scare the hell out of you in the pass game protecting your quarterback. He’ll work it out. You love the competitive nature of the kid.” Fourth-year senior made 10 starts early in his career at RT and then 38 at RG. Made a concerted effort to cut down on personal foul penalties in 2018. “Samia is a tough, upper strength, rasslin’, run-blockin’, old-style guard who isn’t as good as (Josh) Sitton,” another scout said. “Fifth round.” His 38 on the Wonderlic led the guards. “Big, physical pounder,” said a third scout. “If you’re a zone-blocking team and you’re trying to do that on the interior against Aaron Donald, Jurrell Casey, those quick guys, good luck. You’re not ever getting them. How many power-blocking schemes are there? My guess is 10 or less.” From Sacramento, Calif. “Limited athlete,” a fourth scout said. “Just a tough guy.”

7. MICHAEL JORDAN, Ohio State (6-6, 313, 5.30, 3-4): Third-year junior from Canton, Mich. “He surprises you movement-wise every once in a while but he’s a major waist-bender,” said one scout. “It’s hard for a guy that tall to bend well. It kind of negates his strength. He’s disappointing. He was the first freshman to start at Ohio State since Orlando Pace (1994) on the offensive line. You expect he’s going to be awesome. Then you see him and he’s big and long, but his film is kind of blah.” Started at guard in 2016-’17, then at center in ’18. “I don’t like him,” said another scout. “He’s just big. He’s top-heavy, soft, not quick. He did play better as a guard last year (2017).” Had the best vertical jump (32 ½) and the longest arms (34 ¼) of the guards. “Not a bad player,” said a third scout. “He’s not a center, though.”

10. AMANI ORUWARIYE, Penn State (6-1 ½, 204, 4.47, 2-3): Two-year starter. “He ran faster than people thought,” said one scout. “He’s got size and ball skills.” Finished with 106 tackles (one for loss), eight picks and 20 PBUs. “He’s not a good enough foot athlete to play corner,” said another scout. “We talked about making him a safety. He tinkered at it a little bit and it wasn’t very good. For a guy that looked that good the physicality and tackling ability was not there. So he’s kind of a tweener.” From Tampa, Fla. “He’d be better if he had a better temperament,” a third scout said.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Typically the 4th round is where I stop getting pissed at who we take. It's all watered down and a crapshoot from here on out, hopefully we hit on a few players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the NFL gift wraps Hakeem Butler into our hands when we're in the midst of this offensive rebranding, with that 10th pick in the 4th, we have to add him. He's the BPA right now for me, and I would be shocked if he lasted to that pick. The way this draft has gone, I like waiting to see.

Otherwise interior OL are the prospects I'm scouring. There are still a few work horses amongst the Gs and C's that I would like with our 2nd 4th round pick, use our 1st if Hakeem is gone. Gruden finally would have enough pieces on offense to show us what he's got, in my opinion. I like what we have built on defense so protection for the new QB and weapons.

This has been a great draft.

Julian Love, he can contribute immediately at Nickel.  I don't care that he can't play Outside Corner, he'll be on the field for 2/3rds of the snaps anyways.

The amount of talent still available is insane. I’d love to see us doh let up on receiver with a more physical guy like Harmon, but Amani Hooker, Gardner, Bryant, Mack Wilson, Christian Miller, Khalil Hodge, Kaden Smith, isiah prince... still some elite talent still out there.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Dianna Russini has been the most accurate inside scooper for the Redskins. She's definitely getting fed mostly accurate information from our organization so she's probably a good one to pay attention to. She called us getting Haskins, and in the 3rd she said we were in business for some "weapons" and we drafted McLaurin. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Dianna Russini has been the most accurate inside scooper for the Redskins. She's definitely getting fed mostly accurate information from our organization so she's probably a good one to pay attention to. She called us getting Haskins, and in the 3rd she said we were in business for some "weapons" and we drafted McLaurin. 

In fairness, I think just about every beat reporter mentioned we were looking at WR's on Day 2.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

In fairness, I think just about every beat reporter mentioned we were looking at WR's on Day 2.

Dianna was assigned to specifically cover the Redskins in the draft this year.  Most, If not all of her tweets pertaining to the draft are about the Skins this year.

I still like Butler, but I question our ability to carry 2 rookie WRs on the roster.  Probably going to have to go in a different direction and abandon BPA.

Looking past WR, Julian Love feels like the clear cut BPA if he's there.  The Florida kids are good options too.

Deionte Thompson is a worthwhile project in the 4th.  He has the upside to become a starter, and is certainly a bigger talent than Nicholson and Apke were.

Don't like any of the RBs left on the board.  It wasn't a deep class, and I'd pass on the position now.

OL is cleaned out.  There are only a handful of guys left that you could talk yourself into as having starter upside.  Derwin Gray seems like a good fit for us.

Feels like we've turned the page on an era due to the fact that only four players combined from Florida, Florida State, Texas, USC, and Miami got picked in the first three rounds.  Boston College alone had three.

Hard not to notice than none of the Miami players have been taken yet.  Willis and Jackson are pretty good.

Still like Coney for us with one of our 5ths.

Ambivalent on the USC guys.  I prefer other players at their positions, but we're nearing the point where they offer value.

The Clemson prospects have been picked over, but there is still a lot of day three quality there, starting with Austin Bryant.

TE got cleaned out.  Not a lot of value left there.

Top WR left I like Butler, Ridley, and Jennings. I think we easily have room on our roster for 2 rookie WRs maybe 3. Our current WRs havent done anything to prove they belong here imo. Challenge them all.

As far as RBs go, I like Travis Homer. He could be a good 3rd down back. Chris Thompson, like everyone else on offense, struggles to stay healthy.

CBs Love and Ballentine I think can be good players.

Best OL left I think are Samia, Pierschbacher with Autry as a late round project

At Safety I feel like there are 3 or 4 guys with potential that should go in the 4th. Chauncey, Hooker, Thompson

Still a few promising edge guys there being the Millers and Walker

Mack Wilson is interesting to me why hes still available. We can always use LB depth, but Id prefer we try to pick guys that have a chance to contribute right away

Wesco and Nauta are the only 2 developmental TEs left I like and they probably shouldnt go until the 5th or later

Im hoping we get a DB and OL in the 4th, but I feel like there is too many quality WRs still there and we might not be able to resist adding another weapon.

But what do I know. I wasnt a fan of Haskins, though I hope Im wrong and he balls out. 

Loved the Sweat pickup, I think he will be an awesome player for us.

Now to get some sleep before arguably the most important rounds of the draft start.

• Like 1

Wren, Oruwariye, Butler, Wilson, Hooker, Love, Walker, Joseph, Harmon, Hall Thompson, Miller, Jordan, Edwards, Cashman, & CGJ, Samia, Haynes, Forbes. 

Butler & Oruwariye would make for a nice round 4.

• Like 2