• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

stevemcqueen1

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

This front seven minus mason is just ridiculous.We are building something special up front.Poor Jones, Dak and Carson we are going to kill them.We finally have an identity with these guys.They are just going to beat the crap out of people.I love it.

Got serious doubts about this team at QB, WR and O line.  but love the D line.  I wanted a pass rusher in the worst way and loved Sweat.  Hopefully the stories about him not being the easiest dude to deal with is hyperbole or they work around that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

They did with Sweat what I'd been hoping they'd do for a while...take a chance on a freak of nature athletic pass rusher. Hopefully it works out. If it does, Sweat next to Allen, Payne, and The Greek could be truly terrifying. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wanted a pass rusher in the worst way and loved Sweat.  Hopefully the stories about him not being the easiest dude to deal with is hyperbole or they work around that. 

This is where having a head coach like Jay is a blessing. He's a players coach that is down to earth, easy to talk to, and talks straight with everyone. To the people that think Jay is on the hotseat... This guy is a month away from signing an extension. He is on cloud nine to how this draft has turned out.

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm agnostic about Haskins, but he was super productive, is accurate, and has a cannon. Also super smart and a high character guy. I agree with the comp of Jameis Winston if Jameis wasn't a sociopath. Haskins is great value at 15. And, if he was a cleaner prospect, he wouldn't be available at 15.  

I like but don't love Sweat as well. But, I still think he would have been fair value anywhere from pick 12-15. He certainly doesn't play to his 40 time, but he has athletic tools and was productive. 

I love the idea of CB. There is a ton of value left on the board. Maybe it's smart to let the draft come to us, but I wouldn't mind packaging those 2 3rd rounders to come back up for Byron Murphy, Greedy Williams, AJ Brown, or the top remaining interior OL or OT. That would be  aton of talent added in one draft.  

He's got Andrew Luck in him too, but he can't run like Luck.  He was a no-brainer top five talent, but QBs have been falling the past two years.

Sweat has flaws, but some of them can be worked on.  He shares some of the same weaknesses as Clelin.  Lack of a rush plan, lack of a diversity of rushes, etc.  I think there is quite a bit he can learn in order to maximize his ability.  And I think he can get much stronger, his frame is massive.  What can't be learned are the 100th percentile speed and length.  And he was very productive the past two years, despite his rawness as a pass rusher.

I'm not against your plan to trade back up for a corner like Greedy or Murphy, or a WR like Harry or Butler.  But if I were in charge, I think I'd let the draft come to me.  I think there is a chance we could end up with a third round of like Deebo and David Montgomery.

Don't know much about the day 2-3 prospects but anyone know DE LJ Collier? Is he a speed rusher or run stuffer type guy. 

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

This is where having a head coach like Jay is a blessing. He's a players coach that is down to earth, easy to talk to, and talks straight with everyone. To the people that think Jay is on the hotseat... This guy is a month away from signing an extension. He is on cloud nine to how this draft has turned out.

I like Jay and while I don't doubt Jay is excited about Sweat, I seriously doubt the Haskins part.   

Just now, SamoaSkinz said:

Don't know much about the day 2-3 prospects but anyone know DE LJ Collier? Is he a speed rusher or run stuffer type guy. 

Not a lot of speed, more of a power rusher. 

Man, I was hoping we would land either Hakeem Butler or Cody Ford with our second pick. So our next pick is the 3rd round, hope someone good falls to that pick. Cheers fellas.

Gotta say, it took a long time for people/the draft community to come around on Savage, and then he’s the first safety taken.  Not that I expected a 1st back in January, but I feel good about my take there.  :)

• Like 2

Three first round picks from that Mississippi St defense.  You'd think they would have played better given how loaded the defense was, but A&M was the only good team they beat.  The Clemson kids were better than them.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Got serious doubts about this team at QB, WR and O line.  but love the D line.  I wanted a pass rusher in the worst way and loved Sweat.  Hopefully the stories about him not being the easiest dude to deal with is hyperbole or they work around that. 

Fun loving guys like Orakpo can be good football players, but combine some mean spirit with a bunch of talent? That makes a great football player. 

• Like 1

The prognostications are over, whether this guy or that guy thinks he's gonna bust is irrelevant.  Also who made the pick inside our building, who's guy is who's guy: Dan, Bruce and Doug vs. Jay, Scouts, and Smith is also irrelevant at this point.  Dwayne Haskins is our QB.  If you think he sucks then great, that's also irrelevant.  Let's support this guy 100%. He's young, big, smart, and accurate. HTTR!!

Loooongtime lurker living out of the DMV for years.  Happiest I have been in a long time  with the draft. Nice to see a FO handle the cards that were dealt with panache . Much respect to the decision making however it panned out. Could be early but perhaps we have turned the corner. Shout out to all those that have kept me informed over the years 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Drew Lock was not a 1st round pick.........whiffff.......😥 gotta love the experts.

and yet Daniel Jones is.  Strange draft.  I didn't love Lock, but as a QB with starter upside, I feel he should have been a first round pick.  His market dried up.

10 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

The prognostications are over, whether this guy or that guy thinks he's gonna bust is irrelevant.  Also who made the pick inside our building, who's guy is who's guy: Dan, Bruce and Doug vs. Jay, Scouts, and Smith is also irrelevant at this point.  Dwayne Haskins is our QB.  If you think he sucks then great, that's also irrelevant.  Let's support this guy 100%. He's young, big, smart, and accurate. HTTR!!

Meh....15th was a bad pick.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

Meh....15th was a bad pick.

Time will tell, I like DH's chances. I would extend Gruden also, let him work with him for a min.

My concern with Sweat is rawness and having too many games where he just wasn't very impactful.  He has the tools to win, but does he have the instincts to finish?  Does he have the competitive character to battle and dominate a high end opponent during a meaningful game?  The physical upside is so high, but the film is a little meh.  You have to look past that to see his potential.  It's going to take a lot of work and molding, but he truly could be the next Danielle Hunter.

Love our DL's potential.  I think all we need now is to cultivate depth on the unit in order for it to be one of the better groups in the league.  I think we're one really good corner away from being a very strong defense.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

Fun loving guys like Orakpo can be good football players, but combine some mean spirit with a bunch of talent? That makes a great football player. 

they didn't say he's mean spirited but hinted that he was sensitive and coaches can't criticize him. 

But am not dwelling on that.  Love the player, love the move. 

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

So will Montez work with Tomsula or Rob Ryan? @stevemcqueen1 what do you think?

Chad Grimm

2017-Grimm-Chad-Headshot

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Interior o-line has to be a pick tomorrow.  I also wouldn't be shocked to see us trade back from our 3rd rounder to snag a missing 4th potentially.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

they didn't say he's mean spirited but hinted that he was sensitive and coaches can't criticize him. 

But am not dwelling on that.  Love the player, love the move. 

Chad Grimm

2017-Grimm-Chad-Headshot

I know he has a mean streak. Lol

@Skinsinparadise Ah missed his name on the list. Nice, thank you.  I'd have to imagine you get him some time with Tomsula as well no? Figure he will play with his hand in the ground a lot depending on the alignment. Heard he is really isn't the type you would love out in coverage. His best attributes are rushing the passer and  is stout vs. the run, also that he hustles hard.