Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

BPA is typically conducted based on a weighted scale. Need is absolutely factored in. As is hit rates within specific rounds. As is position importance. That's why a QB who may only be in the top 30 overall sometimes falls in the top 5. Initial grades can be schematic fit + talent or just pure talent. 

BPA is never just "take the best player". 

I think that's sometimes lost in these discussions.

There's also a grade variance for positional depth in the draft.  If you have a Player A graded in a vacuum slightly higher than Player B, you still might go Player B if there's no depth at that position for the draft at the same time odds are good Player A's position will still have quality prospects available in the next round.

Standig, two of the guys he mentions as risers are my guys:  Drew Sample who I highlighted here and Diontae Johnson who I took in the board's mock draft.  Both dude's though I wouldn't take early.  They strike me mid to late round guys. 

Ian Rapoport just said Sweat's heart condition was misdiagnosed. 

39 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm watching Chauncey Gardner-Johnson...can anyone tell me what the hype is about?

What games you watching? His most recent tape is a lot better than his early stuff. He's grown a lot.

I don't think he's a great fit here as he's a tad spotty playing deep and better in the box like Collins imo but I really really like him. Insane engine on him, can't remember many prospects in recent years who get around the field like him.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Solomon Thomas on the trade block

Patrick Peterson on the trade block...

will be an interesting night...

Not really one is a bust and the other is getting long in the tooth.

With Rosen potentially being traded along with Solomon Thomas and Patrick Peterson on the trade block added to some QBs who might fall deep, combined with Sweat's questionable health concerns mixed with a number of other interesting things this draft is setting up to have some fun drama to witness.  Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.  

Hoping the Skins have something happen similar to when Allen fell to them.  Last year Guice had strange rumors come out that possibly led to his fall.  Will there be any rumors/concerns coming out last minute today/tonight regarding a player?  

I just love the draft.. 

Based on the list of prospect visits I am fairly confident our priorities are:

QB: Targeted

OL: BPA

RB: BPA

TE: Targeted

WR: Targeted

EDGE: BPA

DL: BPA

LB: BPA

DB: BPA

S: Targeted

As for my bold predictions:

Darnell Savage, Trevon Wesco, and Kavontae Turpin are my locks to be in Skin's gear.

Savage: The Ryan Clark to Collins. We are going to make a trade to draft this guy.

Wesco: 2nd most versatile TE in the draft

Turpin: charges were dropped, is a low risk pick, fills a need at KR/PR, and is elite with the ball in his hands. We are also one of 4 teams that looked at him.

One of Haskins or Grier will be a Redskin

DK Metcalf, Paris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, or AJ Brown will be a Redskin.

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, don't keep us waiting.  What is pick two of your clown shoe mock?

Marquise Brown*, WR, Oklahoma 
Height: 5-9. Weight: 166. Arm: 30.50. Hand: 9.00.
Projected 40 Time: 4.35

i think he falls.....too many good D players avail in 1, we would prob have to move up in 2 to nag him. 

or 

Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 308. Arm: 34.13. Hand: 9.25.
40 Time: 4.91. 10-Yd: 1.70. Three Cone: 7.61.
Bench: 25. Vertical: 30.5. Broad: 9-9.

Same, I think we try to move up in the 2nd. 

2 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

Well I read your points, and I come up with one answer. 

No way is it even rational to suggest the FO made a mistake with drafting Payne. 

Who knew on draft day how good any wet behind the ears, young player is going to be when mixed with men? 

Yes, we shoulda taken Wilson over rg3???

The FO,  past few draft, haven’t been that bad at all.... 

Mix in getting AP/Foster/Collins

I’m very positive about this season 

9-7 

10-6 

There were plenty of people, and if reports are correct that included some Skins FO folks/coaches, who saw the ludicrous talent that Derwin James had and wanted him. I thought there was very little chance that he fell to us and was shocked at how far he fell. I was apoplectic when we picked Payne over him. In retrospect we got lucky that Payne ended up being a very good player (I was very skeptical about his pass rushing ability as he had only shown it for very brief stints but he proved me wrong for the most part), but he simply isn't in the same category of player that James is. Payne is a very good cog in a machine, James is an immediate All-Pro who impacts pretty much every aspect of a defense...he can cover, he can stop the run, he can blitz/pass rush. IMO it was the wrong pick, period. 

Back to this draft. For quite some time I advocated Haskins over Lock if I had to choose between the two, but I've reversed myself on that after watching the Haskins cutups more carefully. I'm still not that high on Lock (I'd much rather give up a 2nd for Rosen and then use our pick for an impact player at another position) but if I had to choose I'd take him over Haskins.

Both of them had really good OLs that generally gave them plenty of time, though Haskins had one of the best in the nation. Lock had crap talent around him to throw to, Haskins had a stable full of 4.4 and below track stars who were YAC monsters who he dumped off to a bunch (his average depth of target was super low at 7.9 yards). Neither was very good against pressure but Lock gets the nod here because he's more nimble in the pocket and has better escapability (though he had this tendency to backpedal or run backwards sometimes when pressure got to him and it drove me nuts when watching him) and is better at off-platform throws. Both have good upper body and release mechanics but Haskins has slow and ugly footwork...and it gets even worse when the pass rush gets close to him. They both come from at least semi-pro style systems so that's a wash. Haskins seems a bit better at pre-snap reads. Post-snap reads/reactions I give the nod to Lock here as Haskins looks decent at it but a bit slower...though that may be more of a product of his lack of starting experience than anything else. 

I see Lock as a guy who might be able to start week 1 but it could still be a bit ugly as his accuracy gets greatly impacted when pressure gets to him (I know every QB's does but his does more than most...that's on film as well as in his numbers). I think  Haskins would absolutely need to sit for a year. He'd have to speed up his footwork as well as his post-snap reads and processing on top of getting used to the speed of the NFL. He has one year of starting experience and it was behind an elite OL with tons of passing options he could dump it off to shallow for big gains. IMO if he is thrown to the wolves behind a mediocre OL without a bunch of passing weapons it's going to be absolutely brutal and he'll crash and burn. I know we should take all of the reporting with a grain of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of Jay not being high on Haskins are true. His lower body mechanics and footwork must drive Jay nuts.

To be honest I don't really want either of them at 15.

And please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, NO DANIEL JONES. 

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There were plenty of people, and if reports are correct that included some Skins FO folks/coaches, who saw the ludicrous talent that Derwin James had and wanted him. I thought there was very little chance that he fell to us and was shocked at how far he fell. I was apoplectic when we picked Payne over him. In retrospect we got lucky that Payne ended up being a very good player (I was very skeptical about his pass rushing ability as he had only shown it for very brief stints but he proved me wrong for the most part), but he simply isn't in the same category of player that James is. Payne is a very good cog in a machine, James is an immediate All-Pro who impacts pretty much every aspect of a defense...he can cover, he can stop the run, he can blitz/pass rush. IMO it was the wrong pick, period. 

Back to this draft. For quite some time I advocated Haskins over Lock if I had to choose between the two, but I've reversed myself on that after watching the Haskins cutups more carefully. I'm still not that high on Lock (I'd much rather give up a 2nd for Rosen and then use our pick for an impact player at another position) but if I had to choose I'd take him over Haskins.

Both of them had really good OLs that generally gave them plenty of time, though Haskins had one of the best in the nation. Lock had crap talent around him to throw to, Haskins had a stable full of 4.4 and below track stars who were YAC monsters who he dumped off to a bunch (his average depth of target was super low at 7.9 yards). Neither was very good against pressure but Lock gets the nod here because he's more nimble in the pocket and has better escapability (though he had this tendency to backpedal or run backwards sometimes when pressure got to him and it drove me nuts when watching him) and is better at off-platform throws. Both have good upper body and release mechanics but Haskins has slow and ugly footwork...and it gets even worse when the pass rush gets close to him. They both some from at least semi-pro style systems so that's a wash. Haskins seems a bit better at pre-snap reads. Post-snap reads/reactions I give the nod to Lock here as Haskins looks decent at it but a bit slower...though that may be more of a product of his lack of starting experience than anything else. 

I see Lock as a guy who might be able to start week 1 but it could still be a bit ugly as his accuracy gets greatly impacted when pressure gets to him (I know every QB's does but his does more than most...that's on film as well as in his numbers). I think  Haskins would absolutely need to sit for a year. He'd have to speed up his footwork as well as his post-snap reads and processing on top of getting used to the speed of the NFL. He has one year of starting experience and it was behind an elite OL with tons of passing options he could dump it off to shallow for big gains. IMO if he is thrown to the wolves behind a mediocre OL without a bunch of passing weapons it's going to be absolutely brutal and he'll crash and burn. I know we should take all of the reporting with a grain of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of Jay not being high on Haskins are true. His lower body mechanics and footwork must drive Jay nuts.

To be honest I don't really want either of them at 15.

And please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, NO DANIEL JONES. 

“ see Lock as a guy who might be able to start week 1 but it could still be a bit ugly as his accuracy gets greatly impacted when pressure gets to him (I know every QB'sdoebut his does more than most”

That’s why in this day of blitz happy D’s

Daniel Jones is the better pick. 

Rock in the pocket. 

F.S.M say Daniel Jones! 

94FC62C1-4121-4F01-96F0-314F4D086DE6.gif

43 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

With Rosen potentially being traded along with Solomon Thomas and Patrick Peterson on the trade block added to some QBs who might fall deep, combined with Sweat's questionable health concerns mixed with a number of other interesting things this draft is setting up to have some fun drama to witness.  Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.  

If Murray doesn't go #1, the Raiders might take him....or they might take Lock or Haskins at 4.  Then Carr is on the trading block too which will drive the cost of Rosen down for us to pounce.    

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

If Murray doesn't go #1, the Raiders might take him....or they might take Lock or Haskins at 4.  Then Carr is on the trading block too which will drive the cost of Rosen down for us to pounce.    

If Murray doesn't go #1, Rosen isn't available more than likely

42 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I theorize that positional needs SO heavily influence BPA, that I think the expression BPA needs to be modernized.  At least with positions such as QB, or bookend LT.

Best Positioneed Available heh

Yeah, I think it should be known as weighted best player available (WBPA).

Unfortunately WBPA also stands for whole body periodic accelaration, which involves some kind of weird vibrating exercise bed.

40 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

“ see Lock as a guy who might be able to start week 1 but it could still be a bit ugly as his accuracy gets greatly impacted when pressure gets to him (I know every QB'sdoebut his does more than most”

That’s why in this day of blitz happy D’s

Daniel Jones is the better pick. 

Rock in the pocket. 

Problem is, that's about the only thing that even somewhat stands out about Jones. Everything else is completely "meh". What's the point of a QB being very composed in the pocket in the face of pressure if he isn't all that good at actually being a QB? 

10 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It’s so refreshing to hear that Dan Snyder is taking control of the war room in the first round.  I mean, it’s obvious to anyone who knows anything about anything, that this is bound to end very very well for the Skins!!!

Do you really think a guy that can afford this, is dumb enough to take control of this draft? Little far fetched,  to say the least...

BCCBAAEB-ECE2-462E-BDB5-288CBB2463DF.jpeg

Archived