Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think he'll be a fine NFL player. That's why I'm not opposed to him at 15. I'm not sure he's a franchise guy, but not sure he's not. 

But what I like about you two dudes is you take a side and go. No in between. Good exchanges fellas. 

I'm banging the table for Haskins.  I love the kid, and I think he's got a very rare and precocious skill set for his age and level of experience.  I believe he's a prodigy and that he runs his offense like an NFL quarterback--making accurate pre-snap reads, adjusting his protections, spreading the ball around, seeing the whole field and also knowing his timing and anticipating seams without having to see them first, manipulating coverages with eye fakes and pump fakes, taking what the defense gives him and keeping the chains moving, etc.  It's just really advanced and excellent stuff, and it's very unusual for a RS sophomore to be doing all of those things at a high level.  He doesn't make many mistakes--the video game completion percentage and TD-INT ratio attest to this--but when he does, they are stemming from normal issues that get worked out with experience and reps; rushing throws, reading zone blitzes, putting the right touch on the underneath stuff, etc.

To compare him to other recent prospects: I don't think he's as good as DeShaun Watson or Baker Mayfield were, but I like Haskins quite a bit more than I liked Allen/Rosen/Darnold/Jackson from last year, and more than Trubisky from the year before (I didn't evaluate Mahomes).  This year I've got Murray with a 7.2 grade, Haskins with a 7.0, Lock with a 6.05, and Jones with a 5.9, so I like him quite a bit more than the third and fourth QBs in the class.

I think he is a very strong QB prospect and he is one of my four highest graded players at any position, and that he should be a top five pick.

As for all of this arguing, volsmet and I are both strong takers, it's natural.  That's why I enjoy his posts so much.  I believe in conflict fueling discovery when it comes to player evaluation and projection.  And TBH, I feel like the thread is actually less contentious now than it used to be.  2011 was just ferocious.  A lot of that was because of me, I recognize.  I was not measured in my Cam Newton takes and I ended up being wrong.  The non QB debates were very spirited and kind of of mean too--I remember an intense debate about JJ Watt vs Cam Jordan in particular.  But a lot of the old heads from that time who helped fuel the conflict have been banned, or I guess moved on with their lives.  The newer contributors who've come in to replace them are more open minded.

Going to miss the 1st round for the 4th year running. It kills me.

I try my best to follow on twitter and watch on my phone under the table (it's a big work event).

But my attention can't be 100% on the draft, and it always kills me. I usually make it home and tune in around Pick 15, so guess we'll see if I see the Skins pick live.

12 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think an owner having a voice in the signing of an employee to a multimillion dollar contract, and who happens to have inside information to his character would be all that bad. 

If I'm an owner, spending that kind of money on players, and my GM is Bruce Allen, I'm making the pick myself too. 

Logically, the way I see it, the chances of the Skins picking in the top 10 next year are greater than the chances of them making the playoffs this coming season. Therefore, I wait to draft a QB next year and build the offensive line and defense this year. Play all the rookie WR's that made the team last year and got hurt. Draft a TE with one of the 2 third round picks.

Rd 1: Best available pass rusher or offensive lineman

Rd. 2: Ditto

Rd 3: Ditto

Rd. 3: TE

Rd. 5 - 7: Best available

Try and trade back with every pick to pick up additional picks and build the roster with best available.

2020: Rd 1- QB

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I try my best to follow on twitter and watch on my phone under the table (it's a big work event).

But my attention can't be 100% on the draft, and it always kills me. I usually make it home and tune in around Pick 15, so guess we'll see if I see the Skins pick live.

Here's my number..you can call me for updates 208 541 Sean Taylor Chris Cooley..yes it's legit

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still think it's a great draft to trade away our first, for one next year. Pick up a second this year and have ammo to slide up next year in a QB heavy draft. This year finish your defense and strengthen the line and TE to get ready for the new QB.

Trade down?.. do something productive?... nahhh not these Danny boy's skins..haha

Okay it's draft day.... We have broke down every player and teams needs & wants and what have yas.....

What do you want the Redskins to do in the draft tonight?..

My dream scenario is trading down to the 20thish spot and pick the best offensive lineman or corner available...get more draft picks. 

Do not want to see a QB picked at 15, I guess unless Murray falls to that spot than I'd be meh holding my breath

I can play the Volsmet Dwayen Haskins GIF game myself. He so gloriously posts gifs of when Haskins is under pressure and he struggles. Just like every other QB in the world does.You dont throw 50TD's and 8 INT's in a season if you suck. No matter how many gifs you post. Here are some gifs where Haskins dices a defense up like swiss cheese. It is very easy to boost YOUR OWN AGENDA with selected gifs. And I will do that right here myself. Look. I like Haskins A LOT. And I think he is the best QB in this draft. His mid range accuracy is ridiculously good. But I am NOT in favor of trading away the future to draft the guy. 

See the field. Read the Defense and deliver a dime under pressure:

https://giant.gfycat.com/CraftyTornDeer.webm

But the guy has no athleticism and he cant run?

https://giant.gfycat.com/TerribleEssentialBonobo.webm

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Which coverage will you watch tonight? There is a new player this year with ABC showing the draft with the "College Gameday" crew doing the coverage. I will probably watch some of it. I like "College Gameday" and they may bring a different perspective to the proceedings.

I think I might check that out too.  Otherwise I'll probably stick with ESPN.  But an underrated way to follow the draft is radio.  I stopped watching after the Redskins picked last year and just listened to it on the radio while reading or playing a video game, and it was a nice way to avoid a lot of the dead time in between picks.

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I can play the Volsmet Dwayen Haskins GIF game myself.

Nice post.  How are you making gifs?  I haven't been able to make them from youtube cutup videos the past few days.  I tried giphy, gfycat, and imgur, but none worked.

Someone said “let the front office circus 

begin!!!!”

SO HERE I AM!!!!

Your favorite ES clown! New season! 

Someone please tell TK it’s DRAFT DAY!!!

i just want to make sure he hasn’t forgot, walking down the street kicking us homeless people can get distracting!!!

My clown shoe mock pick for 1# 

You’ll love it like apple pie! 

Drum roll please....

Skins drop down in the first round, pick up an extra 4th and select 

Daniel Jones Duke! 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think I might check that out too.  Otherwise I'll probably stick with ESPN.  But an underrated way to follow the draft is radio.  I stopped watching after the Redskins picked last year and just listened to it on the radio while reading or playing a video game, and it was a nice way to avoid a lot of the dead time in between picks.

Nice post.  How are you making gifs?  I haven't been able to make them from youtube cutup videos the past few days.  I tried giphy, gfycat, and imgur, but none worked.

Gfycat. You have to save the video then attach. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Gfycat. You have to save the video then attach.  

Oh ok, thanks.  I might join you in making some Haskins gifs of his pretty plays, but I don't know if I'll have the time before the draft.  Probably do it if we end up picking him and start up a separate thread on him.  The Northwestern game is a good one to use, he basically just tapdanced on them.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This thread has gotten amazing the past week or so.  With the addition of a clown in a gimp suit, I'd say we've got it all.

I’ve been in like Flynn, here on ES, From the original 500! 

Come here Mr Jones....

HTTR

D55ECCF0-D6AD-4481-B1FD-1A01BBD872D9.gif

50B5773F-BB86-4E99-8F30-5EC3B4F45DF7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay just on. He doesn't think they trade up unless the Cards don't take Murray.

Finlay doesn't make sense unless Murray is your guy. By adding another QB in the pool, your QB likelihood increases, and thus a lesser need to move up from #15. But I guess it is due diligence to make some offers during draft night and see if the value is there at #5 or so. I hope we stay pat, though. 

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Oh ok, thanks.  I might join you in making some Haskins gifs of his pretty plays, but I don't know if I'll have the time before the draft.  Probably do it if we end up picking him and start up a separate thread on him.  The Northwestern game is a good one to use, he basically just tapdanced on them.

My biggest issue is the guy gets knocked as having no athleticism. And that simply isnt true. He can run. He just isnt great at it. And his ability to move around the pocket is very good. He is also very accurate on the run. Especially to his right. Now does he need some work? Yep. His footwork gets sloppy at times and he does struggle with pressure up the middle sometimes as well. But those are both correctable at the next level. He has a beautiful arm and his brain and work habits are top notch as well. 

I am no good at mock drafts, it's a crazy amount of variables you have to consider, but here is my attempt to do one for the top ten:

1 - Cardinals - Kyler Murray

2 - trade - Raiders - Josh Allen

3 - trade - Redskins - Dwayne Haskins

4 - trade - 49ers - Nick Bosa

5 - Buccaneers - Byron Murphy

6 - trade - Bills - Quinnen Williams

7 - Jaguars - Ed Oliver

8 - Lions - Devin White

9 - trade - Giants - Andre Dillard

10 - Broncos - Drew Lock

41 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Sip needs to promise a live stream reaction to our first pick.

yeah if its Daniel Jones it would ruin my night.  😧

I don't love Haskins at that pick either.  They are playing right now on the ESPN college station Missouri versus Kentucky.  That wasn't one of Lock's better games.  And I am not 100% sold that he's the goods.  But I can ride with him.   To my eyes that dude is so much more fluid than Haskins as a QB.    I do have a predisposition for QBs who can move well in the pocket and can make off balance throws like Lock. 

Maybe I'll go on to youtube and try to find the clip later but there was one where Lock was chased in the backfield he escaped to his right, back peddled on the move while being chased and threw a dime off of his back foot for a completion.  If that was Haskins, IMO he would have been sacked.    We can talk about Haskins stats but imagine him playing for Missouri against SEC opponents with that supporting cast or playing for Duke surrounded by garbage.  No way I buy he'd have monster stats.

Scouts say that it's the biggest crap shoot guessing on QBs and its easy to get it wrong.  So I am not swearing by any of my takes.   My take on Haskins watching him, and I watched 5 games in a row about a week ago (I didn't post clips on him like i have on the others) that his lack of lateral mobility in the pocket coupled with his lack of speed is crazy obvious.   Like i said then, I have taken some digs at Rosen (but am cool with him for a 2nd rounder) but comparing those two in the pocket is night and day.  Rosen isn't fast but he can really move in the pocket.  He has quick feet.  Haskins on occasion can but otherwise he's a stationary target.   Then you add me hearing from some draft geeks that they heard from scouts that they have concerns about whether Haskins can keep himself in shape and was out of shape at the combine and cramped up there.  Those are some red flags for me.

It didn't matter to me that he capitalized on his 4-5 seconds (hyperbole on my end to make a point) to throw the ball.  I just don't think he's going to have that luxury in the NFL.  I don't know if the Bledsoe types can thrive in today's NFL.  Will see.  He has a strong arm and makes some beauty throws.  But I got serious doubts about a QB with slow feet, slow speed and is also questionable under pressure.  I know some draft media geeks adore him and apparently so does Dan Snyder but I am not swayed by that.  Will see.

As for Daniel Jones.  My issues with him are almost the opposite of Haskins.  I like Jones' mobility and movement in the pocket.  He's a tough son of a gun and doesn't flinch under pressure.   Unlike Haskins, he was working with garbage against better stacked teams.   But the dude doesn't make tough throws. He doesn't have much arm strength.  His accuracy stinks outside of 10 yards.  And his personality is IMO epically weird for a QB.  If I recall right Peter King said recently he's the most boring QB he's ever met or something like that. A scout said he has Eli's personality without the pizzaz.  He's beyond boring to me he comes off weird to me.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The switch to Thursday night still bugs me.  I used to love Sat/Sun weekend in college.  Food delivery, beer, a TV and a computer.  The rest of the world was useless (well, except the delivery guy).  Miss those days.

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I can play the Volsmet Dwayen Haskins GIF game myself. He so gloriously posts gifs of when Haskins is under pressure and he struggles. Just like every other QB in the world does.You dont throw 50TD's and 8 INT's in a season if you suck. No matter how many gifs you post. Here are some gifs where Haskins dices a defense up like swiss cheese. It is very easy to boost YOUR OWN AGENDA with selected gifs. And I will do that right here myself. Look. I like Haskins A LOT. And I think he is the best QB in this draft. His mid range accuracy is ridiculously good. But I am NOT in favor of trading away the future to draft the guy. 

BronzeImpossibleBighorn.webmEagerGrizzledGeese1.webmEsteemedElementaryCaterpillar.webmHandmadeBlaringDutchshepherddog.webmQueasyFlawedArthropods.webm

See the field. Read the Defense and deliver a dime under pressure:

https://giant.gfycat.com/CraftyTornDeer.webm

But the guy has no athleticism and he cant run?

https://giant.gfycat.com/TerribleEssentialBonobo.webm

I don’t think you know what an agenda is, but the use of capitalization is powerful. 

23 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

@clskinsfan  watch out brother he is going to respond to you in GIFs <gasp>.  He may also remind us that he “knows” more than we do because he is important?  🤪.  If I had more time and energy I’d show I do have social skills @volsmet but I’d rather do other wonderful things today. 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Josh Dobbs style.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am no good at mock drafts, it's a crazy amount of variables you have to consider, but here is my attempt to do one for the top ten:

1 - Cardinals - Kyler Murray

2 - trade - Raiders - Josh Allen

3 - trade - Redskins - Dwayne Haskins

4 - trade - 49ers - Nick Bosa

5 - Buccaneers - Byron Murphy

6 - trade - Bills - Quinnen Williams

7 - Jaguars - Ed Oliver

8 - Lions - Devin White

9 - trade - Giants - Andre Dillard

10 - Broncos - Drew Lock

Definitely think Dillard is going top 10.

Finlay

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/15-final-thoughts-what-could-be-wildest-nfl-draft-quite-some-time

1. Kyler Murray will go first overall to Arizona.
  2. The Redskins will not trade up into the Top 3.
  3. The Redskins will not trade up into the Top 5.
  4. Drew Lock will be the next QB off the board.
  5. There could be a Laremy Tunsil type of situation.
  6. Either Miami or Cincinnati will take a quarterback.
  7. Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom goes in the top half of the draft.
  8. Montez Sweat could slide in this draft, and it might not just be about medicals.
  9. The injury issue will impact Rashan Gary.
  10. The Redskins will take a defensive player with the 15th pick.
  11. Nobody knows what the Giants will do, and they like that. 
  12. Four QBs will get drafted in the first round.
  13. Five QBs might get taken in the first round. 
  14. The Redskins will not take a wide receiver in the first round. 
  15. Don't close the door on Josh Rosen landing in the NFC East.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yeah if its Daniel Jones it would ruin my night.  😧

Maybe I'll go on to youtube and try to find the clip later but there was one where Lock was chased in the backfield he escaped to his right, back peddled on the move while being chased and threw a dime off of his back foot for a completion. 

3rd & 12 v okst in the 2nd half of the 3rd q.

Archived