Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

@The Consigliere

First off... Great write-up! I actually agree with most of what you are saying. However, I dont think ive ever argued that Alex Smith was some sort of offensive savant. My position on Alex is that he is the anti-Kirk. He's everything that Kirk wasnt, and vice-versa. He fit the philosophy of what this team is trying to build after years of losing due to untimely turnovers. I never once believed for a second that he was the answer, or that he was a long term solution. He was merely an average vet who found a way not to lose year after year after year. ( until he eventually did at the largest of stages). I wouldnt say that I agreed with the trade for AS, as I agreed with all of your points. On top of that, his game is boring.

But he wins in the manner that the coaching staff covets (ball control and winning the turnover battle), is an unquestionable leader, and has proven to be a great bridge to a rookie quarterback that needs a year to develop. If those are the metrics you are going for ( and I highly doubt we will ever hear from a member of the organization that we traded for a guy to eventually pass the torch to his replacement), then the choice was ok-to-solid. If you were expecting him to come here and do what he did in KC, then I think you would be foolish. And make no mistake... he absolutely rode the coattails of better rosters, but that doesnt mean that success is a given.

The other option would have been riding the year with Colt, keeping that 3rd, and sucking. Im not completely sure which would have been a better option. Both still would have ended up a year or two short of optimal tanking success anyways. (Tua/Herbert/Lawrence/Fromme etc)

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

That said why anyone in the Redskins org would give him of all people ( A bitter ender on the Redskin name change)  info would be a bit far fetched (maybe form a team they are dealing with?).  

Florio has (or had) a contact (or contacts) within the Skins' FO. They have used him before to counter negative stories from "unnamed sources."

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Kerrigan - Ioannidis - Payne - Allen - Burns

SDH - R. Foster

J. Norman - L. Collins - DRC - Dunbar

This looks pretty good in my eyes and I hope what our starting defense becomes if everyone reaches their potential. Definitely looks like one of the faster D's we've had in recent years. 

Looks great, but I gotta think we go Offense with our 1st pick, though

If the rumors prove correct and Snyder does force a trade up that wastes draft picks on a team full of holes for a questionable qb then the league should step in and take the franchise away from him. 

The NFLN guys last night were mocking the thought of Skins trading up. Way too many needs to give away draft capital. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027778/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-40-redskins-land-haskins

Daniel Jeremiah's final mock is above. Redskins get Haskins at 15. Drew Lock going to the Packers at 30. I hate the Giants getting Josh Allen, but at least they also wind up with Daniel Jones.

Re Haskins vs Lock, I think people are mostly enamored of Lock's arm. He's been an inaccurate QB that wilts against ranked teams and SEC opponents. Maybe someone can make something of him. I just don't think he's that good. 

My main hopes are that we don't take Daniel Jones. We don't draft Ryan Anderson/Trent Murphy in the 2nd. We don't take Troy Apke over Maurice Hurst in the 4th. No picks that are reaches because of limited upside. No picks that are reaches because the player has athletic traits but no history of production. The back half of our draft last year was brilliant.  

@stevemcqueen1 @volsmet

You're both knowledgeable as hell.

From an outside perspective, I think you're both right and both wrong.

I don't think Haskins is a legit anything at this point. But I also don't think he's a fraud. The guy has some good film and some bad film. A lot of good games and some shaky ones. Some easy "you benefit from being at Ohio State" throws and some rockets.

I think he'll be a fine NFL player. That's why I'm not opposed to him at 15. I'm not sure he's a franchise guy, but not sure he's not.

But what I like about you two dudes is you take a side and go. No in between. Good exchanges fellas.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still think it's a great draft to trade away our first, for one next year. Pick up a second this year and have ammo to slide up next year in a QB heavy draft. This year finish your defense and strengthen the line and TE to get ready for the new QB.

Agree but in their supposed win or else year, I think I got a better chance to be drafted in the first than them trading away their first for a first next year. 

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

But he wins in the manner that the coaching staff covets (ball control and winning the turnover battle), is an unquestionable leader,

This is an interesting dilemma.   Jay does like the ball control formula so a QB who doesn't make mistakes fits that.  But according to some who know Jay said he wasn't happy with how Alex played and wasn't in on the deal in the first place albeit he's more than willing to sell their early 2018 record to save his job.  Cooley loves to say Jay really prefers a gunslinger type QB.  Andy Benoit said when they acquired Alex that he's so not a Jay type of Qb because his system is about throwing with anticipation and rhythm and Alex needs guys to be open to pull the trigger so its a bad fit.

Don't really care today about the Alex drill.   Only talking about it in the context of them going QB in this draft.   Jay actually slammed Kirk openly for not taking enough risks the year before let alone the more risk aversive Alex.   So some suspect that Jay wants a more gun slinger type in this draft -- like a Drew Lock, or Grier later in the draft.  Will see.

I still think Ryan Finley is a good fit.  He's far from great but you don't have to expend a first rounder for him.  He's not a gun slinger but isn't conservative either.    It's going medium at the position.  I am cool with them doing nothing at QB but I suspect they do something. 

On another note, Craig Hoffman just doubled down that people in the FO are mixed about Haskins so is surprised about all the talk about it.  He thinks they are doing something else.  From who he talked to the best player on their board if Haskins falls to 15 won't be him.  And he doesn't think they trade up.   Junkies doubled down that they heard that Jay doesn't like Haskins.   Hoffman said outside of Kyler their scouts aren't in love with the next 3 QBs that likely go in the first and are intrigued some by the next tier guys. 

21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

My main hopes are that we don't take Daniel Jones. We don't draft Ryan Anderson/Trent Murphy in the 2nd. We don't take Troy Apke over Maurice Hurst in the 4th. No picks that are reaches because of limited upside. No picks that are reaches because the player has athletic traits but no history of production. The back half of our draft last year was brilliant.  

Agreed! Based on the list of players they have brought in I would say they plan to collect some extra picks and draft mid and late rounds. Each of those were head scratchers and even Christian felt like a reach. 

Does anyone buy into the idea Colt could be the starter opening day? If true they won't be drafting Marquise Brown because he can't throw it far enough for him to run under it.

SIP I agree Finley could targeted

Players I'd be okay with at 15, in no order (keep in mind I'm not saying they have a chance to be there):

Montez Sweat

Kyler Murray

Dwayne Haskins

Quinnen Williams

Josh Allen

Ed Oliver 

Nick Bosa

Byron Murphy

Devin White

Devin Bush

Jonah Williams

Jawan Taylor

TJ Hockenson

Brian Burns

Cody Ford

Rashan Gary

Garrett Bradbury

I'm not sure you can miss with any of these guys (the quarterbacks give me the most pause, to be honest).

Devin Bush has injury history that shies some folks away, so I get that. 

Q Will and Ed Oliver are so good you can't pass them if they fall. You can trade back, but you can't pass them. (They won't fall).

The Skins literally can get a stud at 15. They just need to not do anything stupid.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Players I'd be okay with at 15, in no order (keep in mind I'm not saying they have a chance to be there):

Montez Sweat

Kyler Murray

Dwayne Haskins

Quinnen Williams

Josh Allen

Ed Oliver 

Nick Bosa

Byron Murphy

Devin White

Devin Bush

Jonah Williams

Jawan Taylor

TJ Hockenson

Brian Burns

Cody Ford

Rashan Gary

Garrett Bradbury

Gary is the only one that wouldn't be on my list at 15.

I like that you don't include a QB. I am hoping it is Sweat that falls.

ESPN 2 is currently showing NFL Network coverage of the draft. Go figure. :)

Which coverage will you watch tonight? There is a new player this year with ABC showing the draft with the "College Gameday" crew doing the coverage. I will probably watch some of it. I like "College Gameday" and they may bring a different perspective to the proceedings.

So, will you watch ESPN, NFL Network, ABC, or a variety of channels?

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Gary is the only one that wouldn't be on my list at 15.

I like that you don't include a QB. I am hoping it is Sweat that falls.

I have two QBs there. But only because if they fall it's tough to argue that pick if a lot of the other guys are gone.

If it comes down to Gary vs. Haskins vs. Cody Ford, I might go Haskins. He might be the BPA out of all of them.

I don't love any of the QBs, though. 

I think Murray is a no-brainer if he falls to 15 (although at that point I think I'd try my hardest to trade back for someone else to take him)

Peter Schrager who to me seems relatively plugged in -- with his final mock this morning.  He goes purely on what he's hearing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027789/article/peter-schrager-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-texans-move-into-top-10

In his mock, Haskins falls to 15.   

Marquise Brown goes #12.  Taylor, Dillard and J. Williams all go top 10.  Hockenson and Bush gone too before 15.  Burns still there.  Sweat falls out of the first because of medicals.   

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still think it's a great draft to trade away our first, for one next year. Pick up a second this year and have ammo to slide up next year in a QB heavy draft. This year finish your defense and strengthen the line and TE to get ready for the new QB.

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027778/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-40-redskins-land-haskins

Re Haskins vs Lock, I think people are mostly enamored of Lock's arm. He's been an inaccurate QB that wilts against ranked teams and SEC opponents. Maybe someone can make something of him. I just don't think he's that good. 

Less of an arm than Haskins, so that’s probably not it.

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@stevemcqueen1 @volsmet

They've both written killer content on this thread.  Entertaining debates,    I respect both of their takes a lot.  On Haskins I am on team Volsmet though and by a mile.😀  But Steve has swayed me on some prospects including Hakeem Butler and Deebo Samuel.  And I don't mind one of his fav prospects here, Clelin Ferrell.    I like Murphy too but not at 15. 

As for Qbs if I recall we all agree on Kyler Murray.  We all like Drew Lock but to different degrees.  If I recall Steve likes Daniel Jones a little more than most here.   I don't love Grier but like him better than Steve and Volsmet.  Sounds like i am more a Finley guy than they are.   Should be fun tonight to see what happens. 

Right now my top desires at 15 that have some realism to it.

1.  TJ Hockenson (he's been my #1 for months and before he started flying up the mocks but I doubt he's there)

2.  M. Sweat if he's healthy otherwise Brian Burns (I think both will be there

3.  Devin Bush (doubt he's there)

4.  Marquise Brown (if his medicals check out)

5.  Drew Lock

6. Clelin Ferrell

I'd be happy with any one of them.

if they trade down the first

1. Anyone from my prior list who is still there

2.  Cody Ford 

3. N'Keal Harry

4. Bryon Murphy

5. Dalton Risner

6.  Got a bunch of guys real close to each other who I like.  If none of these guys are on the board, I'd trade down again.

Who I don't want at #15

Daniel Jones

Dwayne Haskins

Greedy Williams 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

@stevemcqueen1 @volsmet

I don't think Haskins is a legit anything at this point. But I also don't think he's a fraud. The guy has some good film and some bad film. A lot of good games and some shaky ones. Some easy "you benefit from being at Ohio State" throws and some rockets.

I think he'll be a fine NFL player. That's why I'm not opposed to him at 15. I'm not sure he's a franchise guy, but not sure he's not.

But what I like about you two dudes is you take a side and go. No in between. Good exchanges fellas.

I don’t truly think he’s a fraud, I was enjoying the interaction because Steve was more adamant last night than he is typically & he was dismissive which he’s typically not &, I’ve been in that mindset, it’s all a phenomenal time, like talking with family... stick to your guns & let your bullets fly, have conviction, as you said. I don’t think Haskins will be good, but he absolutely has some elite traits, makes some unbelievable throws, & has a great understanding of what he wants to do. I worry that he loses a lot post snap, but time will tell. I’ve been very complimentary of sir Steve, he’s phenomenal, last night he was in GM mode ready to pound the table for his guy & it was glorious. 

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Montez Sweat

Kyler Murray

Dwayne Haskins

Quinnen Williams

Josh Allen

Ed Oliver 

Nick Bosa

Byron Murphy

Devin White

Devin Bush

Jonah Williams

Jawan Taylor

TJ Hockenson

Brian Burns

Cody Ford

Rashan Gary

Garrett Bradbury

That means we’ll go DK Metcalf.

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thank you. I was just discussing this with someone the other day. If you read through the thread, there is no way 20 different players will fall to #15. Simple math says that’s wrong. 

This doesn’t take into account runs on positions or players that teams have fallen in love with. 

Just heard a segment from Todd McShay where he said Bruce gets off at misdirecting the media and thinks all the noise yesterday was done on purpose and was fake.  That makes sense to me.

If they where dying to have Haskins it's not their style to put out a billboard for it.    Also it's inconsistent with what the beat reporters seem convinced which is if anything they'd want to trade down let alone trade up.  

The other thing about Haskins is if you believe Sheehan, Hoffman, Finlay there are some people in that building who really don't think much of him.  The one local guy beating the drum that they like Haskins is Keim though he says they are split in that building about him and more or less flat out told Sheehan yesterday that team Haskins would be Dan, Bruce, Doug versus others in that building. 

Archived