Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The Redskins O has some talent on the line and at running back. The tight end position has some oomph too, but is too often injured to really be counted. Given that, there is no point in selling the farm for a QB. Why get the best milking machine in the market if you don't have any cows? 

I think fans look at team building and the QB position backwards.  The QB is one half of the foundation of your entire build.  You start with the QB and build from there.

Every blue blood NFL team is built upon one common foundation: a successful quarterback-head coach marriage.  Then on top of that you build up the best trench units that you can.  And then on top of that you build your secondary.  And then your offensive playmakers, so on and so forth.

But the foundation is the QB-HC marriage.

There's obviously a massive disconnect between where Snyder, Allen etc think we are as a roster and where we actually are. Our roster is completely filled with gaping holes but they seem to think we're one or two pieces away. Thats why I'd fear this Snyder thing is true.  

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The people who cover this team behind the scenes (along with some of the national guys) have successfully painted the picture that Haskins is Dan's baby with some clear disagreement in that building from some.  I am guessing the narrative though would quickly change to Murray if the Cards don't take him. 

I think all the way back to when KK was hired the Cards spoke with and new that Murray was their guy at #1.  Just a guess, SIP.  :)

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

More logs lol...

Greg Gabriel @greggabe

Reports that Washington is looking to get into Top 5 are 100% accurate. From what I have been told the QB they want is Daniel Jones

If a trade happens and we take Daniel ****ing Jones I would be convinced Dan Snyder just wants his team in the newspaper regardless of whether its good or bad. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think fans look at team building and the QB position backwards.  The QB is one half of the foundation of your entire build.  You start with the QB and build from there.

Every blue blood NFL team is built upon one common foundation: a successful quarterback-head coach marriage.  Then on top of that you build up the best trench units that you can.  And then on top of that you build your secondary.  And then your offensive playmakers, so on and so forth.

I'm probably too mired in the '80's and 90's when there were three bonafide ways to build a champion.

Great defense (See Chicago and the Giants)

Great running game with balanced passing attack/play action (Redskins and Cowboys)

Great passing game (49ers and Rams)

Hey Guys.... a few months back (before and around the combine) I began watching every game cut-up I could find of the QBs in this class and wrote out my own little scouting reports on each.  Initially, I planned on doing the entire class- but life took over and things got busy lol.  

Although I ended up watching a few cut-ups/highlight reels of guys like Haskins/Lock/Stidham/Finley/Rypien, I never got around to writing anything up for them.  With the draft one day away, I thought I would leave this here so that I can be pelted with tomatoes later.  Keep in mind, this was all written several weeks/months ago... BUT I STAND BY IT! 😏

QB’s

Kyler Murray, QB — Oklahoma (Top Five)

• Size: 3/10
  • Throw Power: 8.5/10
  • Accuracy: 9/10
  • Mobility: 10/10
  • Pocket Presence: 8/10
  • FieldVision/Progression: 8.5/10
  • Mechanics: 9/10
  • Clutch/Leadership: 6/10

OVERALL:  Best QB in the class, beautiful throwing motion with snappy release.  Elite mobility.  Sees the field well inside the pocket, but often decides to make the ‘cautious’ throw when something bigger is there.  Deep ball accuracy is ‘meh’.  Personality is only slightly less ‘meh’ than Mariota.

Will Grier, QB — West Virginia (Mid-Late 1st Round)

• Size: 7/10
  • Throw Power: 7.5/10
  • Accuracy: 8.5/10
  • Mobility: 6.5/10
  • Pocket Presence: 8/10
  • FieldVision/Progression: 8.5/10
  • Mechanics: 6.5/10
  • Clutch/Leadership: 10/10

OVERALL:  Not the best Senior Bowl or Combine outings, but he shows up for games.  Confident and clutch.  Adequate size and arm strength with strong mid-short accuracy + beautiful touch on deep throws.  Keeps eyes down field, doesn’t lock into one receiver, and moves well in the pocket.  Mechanics need work and he needs to feel comfortable in the system to succeed.  Consistency is a slight issue in all of the areas mentioned above. Not a Day 1 starter, (unless you are the Redskins) but has a very high-ceiling in the right system.  He’s got the “it" factor and I think it will surprise people when WG is the 2nd QB taken off the board.

Easton Stick, QB — North Dakota State (Late 3rd/4th Round)

• Size: 7/10
  • Throw Power: 7/10
  • Accuracy: 7/10
  • Mobility: 9.5/10
  • Pocket Presence: 7/10
  • FieldVision/Progression: 6.5/10
  • Mechanics: 7.5/10
  • Clutch/Leadership: 9/10

OVERALL:  Duel-Threat QB, I think he will run in 4.6’s (if not faster) at his Pro Day.  Has surprisingly good pocket-awareness and keeps his eyes down field.  Decision-making with some of his throws are concerning… Sometimes he COMPLETELY ignores defenders who are just waiting for the ball. Parts of his game remind me of Kyle Lauletta (who I was really high on last year) with Easton being the better runner and Kyle having the slight edge when throwing.  I had no idea who this guy was before I watched his full-game cut-ups, but I am now a BIG fan of this kid’s game.  Give him 2 years on the bench and he should be ready to go win you some football games.

Daniel Jones, QB — Duke (5th Round)

• Size: 10/10
  • Throw Power: 6/10
  • Accuracy: 5/10
  • Mobility: 6.5/10
  • Pocket Presence: 5/10
  • FieldVision/Progressions: 5/10
  • Mechanics: 8/10
  • Clutch/Leadership: 5/10

OVERALL:  This guy is Christian Hackenberg 2.0 in my eyes.  Selecting him anytime before the 4th round would be a huge mistake.  His accuracy (especially on deep throws) is atrocious. Will make the easy pre-snap reads, but then locks into them… Never even bothers going through progressions.  Ramen noodle arm.  Horrible awareness in the pocket.  Decent athlete but takes off running too early.  I watched 5 game cut-ups and the only reason I bumped his selected round up to 5 (from my original 6th-7th) was because of a few flashes against VaTech where I caught a glimpse of potential. Bottom-line for me is that Jones is flat-out BAD at the things which make you a good QB in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The problem here is that we are drafting a QB without the HC unless something crazy happens this year. 

This is yet another reason, on a mound of them, why the team doesn't succeed. If they were going to make changes this offseason was the time. GM/HC/QB. Instead it's going to be QB, then likely HC with the same GM making the next HC hire.

All in all, I tend to agree with you on this take. And if there was a can't miss QB prospect ala Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning available you take them and it doesn't matter who the HC is. But with a Haskins or a Grier or *shudder* Jones, the HC matters significantly.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Grant PaulsenVerified account @granthpaulsen

If I had to bet on the Redskins' first round pick right now, I'd say they stay put and end up on the clock at 15. Wouldn't rule out a trade up after today's developments. I'd still say it is unlikely but I used to think there was zero chance.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that we are exploring trade up talks as soon as it has come out that Cards might not take Murray. He’s the one guy they probably believe our defense and running game coupled with his dynamic playmaking ability could mask some of the other weaknesses we have and take us to where we are trying to go. I would be floored if we traded up for anyone outside of Murray. Too much smoke about too many holes and would rather trade down than up for me to believe we are going to mortgage the future for the 2nd/3rd QB prospect in an iffy class. My 2 cents

I am always shocked/disappointed by the knee jerk reactions of people on this board.  In the last couple hours you have all seen the Skins linked to Haskins, Lock, Jones, & Murray (if the Cards don't take him) and you choose to believe the choice that is least desirable to each of you...and freak out about it.  All these reports can't be correct...maybe none of them are...maybe one is...who knows?

And now Snyder is taking over the 1st round after they have been pretty good at drafting and being hands off for a few years...and this info comes on the eve of the draft and from someone who has never...ever...said anything good about Snyder (not that there is much good to say). And that same person now says he expects the Skins to stay at #15...so he doesn't even believe his own tweet...or he thinks Snyder is "taking over the 1st round" by staying at #15.  

Each "reporter" must have a different source because all the info is different, lol

Come on people...you're better than this...I think :) 

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The problem here is that we are drafting a QB without the HC unless something crazy happens this year. 

This is yet another reason, on a mound of them, why the team doesn't succeed. If they were going to make changes this offseason was the time. GM/HC/QB. Instead it's going to be QB, then likely HC with the same GM making the next HC hire. 

All in all, I tend to agree with you on this take. And if there was a can't miss QB prospect ala Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning available you take them and it doesn't matter who the HC is. But with a Haskins or a Grier or *shudder* Jones, the HC matters significantly. 

Probably the main reason we're not sure whether or not we have a head coach is because of his failure to establish a successful QB marriage.

Give him Haskins though, and perhaps we get that marriage with Gruden.

I agree with you that we should have clean sheeted our franchise this winter.  I don't trust our leadership, I think they've been somewhat weak on player acquisition, that the level of coaching has been very average, and that they've made some back breaking quarterback mistakes.  They don't really deserve another shot.  But they've probably got one.  And it hasn't all been bad under Gruden's leadership, we've actually begun establishing an identity and we do have quite a bit of trench talent already in place.  And all it would take to really start the ball rolling in a positive direction would be to get a blue chip QB and fix that QB-HC marriage issue.

Not sure I agree with your last paragraph because I think the HC always matters a great deal, no matter who the QB prospect is.  Some QB prospects are way better than others no doubt, but if you've got the wrong coach, it'll ruin your team no matter what.  Hue Jackson is a testament to this, and a cautionary tale.  I don't think Gruden is that kind of coach though.  I think he's good enough, and that we're basically a quarterback away from really starting to build something.

Archived