Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm seriously wondering if Marquise Brown will even be around when we get up to pick

Don't know but there are multiple draft geek types who think he's the top receiver in the draft and if so he might go before our pick.  Just like any draft there are multiple guys we all like -- for me I totally get the value of a pass rusher over a receiver.   But this is a boring team (which I think is part of the fan attendance issues) that can use at least one electric play maker let alone give a needed jolt to a lethargic offense.  Watching Tarik Cohen for the Bears and how they use him and how dangerous he is -- that really got my attention of late in comparing to our roster apples to apples.   Brown is small -- that's the bad thing about him -- but looks like he runs good routes.  In spite of his size, he can play, X, Y, Z receiver spots.  He has hands of glue.  He does YAC in a big way, he's a deep threat.  I think he will be an NFL star. 

Brad Kelly below, ex receiver, draft geek who was high on Trey Quinn before the draft.

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

What a draft mine would have been

If anyone would like to sign up for my draft seminar, please feel free to contact Dan Snyder & he will take your message. If you don’t have his contact info, just stop at a local Taco Bell, I’ll probably be in one of them, it is difficult to escape the pull of the Gordita. 

In the first, I was a D. James, M. Fitzpatrick guy both who are killing it.  Loved Guice and pushed him the way I am doing Marquise Brown this year.    On the board's draft for the Dolphins, pretty sure I took Phillip Lindsay (I got to double check because if I didn't I intended too) later in the draft who is one of the surprise rookies this year and the year before I took Kamara later in the draft (2nd or 3rd don't recall) and McKinley in the first.  On draft day, I pushed Ionnaidis as we got deep down in the draft.    My point is no one knows RBs and pass rusher types better than me. :806:  Just kidding.  I've had my share of lemons, too.  I liked the NT from Baylor that fell in the draft who has amounted to nothing.   Loved RG3.  And I was jazzed about Doctson -- and while Doctson isn't a bust like some say, he definitely doesn't warrant any excitement either thus far. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know but there are multiple draft geek types who think he's the top receiver in the draft and if so he might go before our pick.  Just like any draft there are multiple guys we all like -- for me I totally get the value of a pass rusher over a receiver.   But this is a boring team (which I think is part of the fan attendance issues) that can use at least one electric play maker let alone give a needed jolt to a lethargic offense.  Watching Tarik Cohen for the Bears and how they use him and how dangerous he is -- that really got my attention of late in comparing to our roster apples to apples.   Brown is small -- that's the bad thing about him -- but looks like he runs good routes.  In spite of his size, he can play, X, Y, Z receiver spots.  He has hands of glue.  He does YAC in a big way, he's a deep threat.  I think he will be an NFL star. 

Brad Kelly below, ex receiver, draft geek who was high on Trey Quinn before the draft.

I do too.  I actually think the game is moving toward his type of player because the physical element is getting reduced.  For years you never looked at guys like him too hard because he would have been limited to where he can be effective, with the fear that in the middle of the field he would get killed.  Now you can look at guys like him across the league starting to emerge.  I feel like he walks in and is our most dynamic threat on offense day 1.  CT was in a similar category of what he can do,  but it's getting to the point that injuries are continuing to mount.  Brown would be the threat we need that can take any play the distance at any time.  

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I do too.  I actually think the game is moving toward his type of player because the physical element is getting reduced.  For years you never looked at guys like him too hard because he would have been limited to where he can be effective, with the fear that in the middle of the field he would get killed.  Now you can look at guys like him across the league starting to emerge.  I feel like he walks in and is our most dynamic threat on offense day 1.  CT was in a similar category of what he can do,  but it's getting to the point that injuries are continuing to mount.  Brown would be the threat we need that can take any play the distance at any time.  

Agree.  I'd add Jay has started to like doing sweeps more -- I presume to model the KC offense more.  How pathetic is it to run them with 4.65 or so Maurice Harris and it looks pathetic.   A guy like Brown would be dangerous on them.  The thing I like about him too is some of the speed receiver types don't have reliable hands.  Brown on the other hand is in the mold of D. Jax and T. Hill -- the dude has great hands.  

But yeah guys who can catch the ball in space and create YAC in today's NFL is huge.  Look at what Atlanta's offense and even Dallas did to us with YAC. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  I'd add Jay has started to like doing sweeps more -- I presume to model the KC offense more.  How pathetic is it to run them with 4.65 or so Maurice Harris and it looks pathetic.   A guy like Brown would be dangerous on them.  The thing I like about him too is some of the speed receiver types don't have reliable hands.  Brown on the other hand is in the mold of D. Jax and T. Hill -- the dude has great hands.  

But yeah guys who can catch the ball in space and create YAC in today's NFL is huge.  Look at what Atlanta's offense and even Dallas did to us with YAC. 

Well I don't think Jay is here next year so it may end up a moot point.   I also question  whether or not Alex can be back, let alone by camp, so who knows what system or QB we may be looking at come minicamps.  Regardless of what happens there we still need playmakers. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Well I don't think Jay is here next year so it may end up a moot point.   I also question  whether or not Alex can be back, let alone by camp, so who knows what system or QB we may be looking at come minicamps.  Regardless of what happens there we still need playmakers. 

Jay or no Jay.  Alex or no Alex.  Marquise is a good fit, I agree, for today's game. 

My defensive man crush, Jachai Polite, with another monster game.  I think he's going to be out of reach

I don't like Parris Campbell as much as Marquise Brown but he's another speedster and might be there in the 2nd.  Big time speed.  A bit raw though. But looks like a dude who can take a hitch, screen to the house. Can't believe Ohio State is poised to beat Michigan again. 

I've paid not attention to Harrison until today but that dude really flies to the ball. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Deebo Samuel is ridiculous.  I think he's the best offensive skill position player in the draft this year.  He's a workhorse.

I haven't really watched South Carolina this season, should have watched the game last night against Clemson.  I saw he had a big game.

I recall earlier in the season, Deandre Baker shut him down but otherwise he's been big time prolific.    Some draft geek types seem to slam the receiver crop this year but seems like you got some decent depth.   David Sills is another dude I like to watch -- just noticed him by coincidence from watching Grier. Riley Ridley.  Looks like you can get a potential good player in the 2nd round this year at WR maybe even third. 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, OVCChairman said:

I'm seriously wondering if Marquise Brown will even be around when we get up to pick

First round wide receivers make me nervous.   Especially when good wide receivers can be found in the mid rounds.  we need upgrades at wide receiver no doubt but my concerns for Brown are similar to my concerns for lincoln Riley: how will they transition to the NFL from a spread happy, weak defense big 12.  I would rather us use our first-rounder on a stud offensive lineman, pass rusher or cornerback.  Maybe even a quarterback considering our new predicament.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't really watched South Carolina this season, should have watched the game last night against Clemson.  I saw he had a big game.

I recall earlier in the season, Deandre Baker shut him down but otherwise he's been big time prolific.    Some draft geek types seem to slam the receiver crop this year but seems like you got some decent depth.   David Sills is another dude I like to watch -- just noticed him by coincidence from watching Grier.  Looks like you can get a potential good player in the 2nd round this year at WR.  

He had a pretty bad broken leg last season that had some setbacks.  He didn't start looking right until late October/early November.  I think the first time he really look like he did before the broken leg was the Ole Miss game.  He ran wild on them and he's kind of been on a tear since.

He's got a lot of Amari Cooper in him, only with a Cordarelle Patterson dimension to his game as well.  I love the way he plays.  Absolutely fearless competitor.  He's the one guy in the class who I think does it all at the WR position.  Deep threat who you can't overthrow.  Circus catcher.  Good leaper.  Ferocious inside release.  Punishing runner after the catch.  Maybe the best return man in college football right now.  He's got a speed/agility/power combination at the position that is special.  He's the kind of workhorse ball carrier who can easily give you 2,000 all purpose yards and 10+ TDs a season.

If he could stay healthy, he would be a really early pick.  As is, I'm still not sure he won't go mid-teens.  If we could get him at the end of the first or in the first half of the second, I would see that as a bargain value.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:28 PM, volsmet said:

What a draft mine would have been

If anyone would like to sign up for my draft seminar, please feel free to contact Dan Snyder & he will take your message. If you don’t have his contact info, just stop at a local Taco Bell, I’ll probably be in one of them, it is difficult to escape the pull of the Gordita. 

The more I think about Deebo, the more his situation reminds me of Guice's.  Tantalizingly talented SEC workhorse playmaker with some pretty significant injury concerns, due in large part to the way he plays.  Both angry runners with poor biomechanics who play the game with ferocity that invites ferocity in return.

I think Deebo is going to go in the second round like Guice did.  The injury factor is serious and it's not going to go away.

Some guys get hurt a lot while others never do, Deebo and Guice are the former.  We haven't really understood why this is, but I think biomechanics explains a lot of it.  I often cringe when I watch Deebo run because he doesn't play with a concept of self-preservation.  He plants his foot hard into contact and leans into it so that his weight is entirely over the front of his knee.  He does it so he can hit back and drive through tackles but he's doing it a lot of the time when running through the middle of the secondary or accelerating from a standstill in the flats.  Places where defenders are running downhill on him. 

There's a reason why tough guy runners always get hurt while softy technicians like Marvin Harrison play for 40 years without injury.  When you hit defenders hard you escalate the way they are forced to defend you.  When you are an explosive and put the fear of God into a defense, they play desperate and try and kill you.  These types of guys get hit harder than anyone else, RGIII was like this too.  And when you don't go down on contact from single tacklers, you invite gang tackles that end up ****ing you up.  Pretty sure that's what happened on the play where Deebo broke his leg.

23 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

First round wide receivers make me nervous.   Especially when good wide receivers can be found in the mid rounds.  we need upgrades at wide receiver no doubt but my concerns for Brown are similar to my concerns for lincoln Riley: how will they transition to the NFL from a spread happy, weak defense big 12.  I would rather us use our first-rounder on a stud offensive lineman, pass rusher or cornerback.  Maybe even a quarterback considering our new predicament.  

They make me nervous too... but we haven't exactly been targeting them either.  I question whether we can get a Marquise Brown type talent later in the draft.  We can find talent later, but from everything I've seen, this kid looks exactly like what this offense is lacking.  There are a handful of directions we could go in the 1st.  If we took Brown, I would be happy.  If we were to go O-line, game breaker TE, stud defense... I'd be ok with that too.  Kicker, Punter, and RB would be about the only 3 positions i'd be upset about.  

I know its not the right draft to do it.  Personally, the only QBs I've paid a lot of attention who is supposed to be in the upper rounds in this draft are Grier and Haskins.  Now am interested in the Ohio State-Northwestern match up -- I've noticed hype about Clayton Thorson but haven't watched him. 

But with the news that Alex may or may not come back and if he does it might be mid season 2019 or 2020.  And lets say Colt doesn't play that hot.  I think QB could be in the offing.  I said this in 2016-17 when I had an opportunity to speak with the head personnel guy -- Finlay was spewing things I heard directly from that personnel guy so I always saw him somewhat plugged in as to draft intentions.  Here he might be just guessing but what he says in the off season and if that includes them looking at QBs high in the draft, I'd trust that it might be so. 

I never saw Dan as the clinical type especially when it comes to the Qb position. So if they don't make the playoffs, wouldn't shock me QB is on the table early in the draft regardless if we think we can guess their intentions based on what we think is prudent. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/its-almost-impossible-look-redskins-2019-qb-situation-and-not-expect-new-name

Taking a quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft probably wasn't in the cards for the Redskins before the Smith injury. At least an early round pick didn't seem like likely.

Now, with Smith facing an intense rehab and McCoy in position to void a contract or prove he isn't the answer? Drafting a quarterback, early, seems not just possible but perhaps necessary. 

The Smith injury, or rather the severity of the Smith injury, changed the Redskins' plans at quarterback for the 2019 season and beyond.

Smith could make it all the way back, and some expect him to, but he will still be a 35-year-old QB coming off a major leg injury. It would be irresponsible to move forward without some sort of long-term plan behind Smith. 

And it's also entirely possible McCoy proves he belongs as a starting QB. But if he does, the odds of him remaining the starter in Washington next year and beyond seem slim. His contract is structured that if he plays well, he might get to go find a starting job, and honestly, should things break that way he deserves the chance. 

Two important takeaways here, and one of them is easy to forget.

1. The Redskins most likely need to look for their QB of the future, beginning as early as the 2019 Draft.
  2. The Redskins still have a chance to make the playoffs in 2018, and McCoy can get them there. If he does, don't expect McCoy to be back in Washington in 2019, at least on his current contract. 

We'd be crazy not to look at QB high in the draft.  We are absolutely in the market for one.  But that doesn't mean we'll find one this year.

Also Colt McCoy is definitely not a starting caliber QB, and to write that it's possible he could be makes the analysis a little suspect.  Realistically, you can't hold down a job as an NFL starter if you can't throw the whole route tree.  As much as I have my doubts about Alex Smith's ability to make throws outside the numbers, he can physically do it.  Him making a quick recovery and coming back for next season is our only decent chance at having good QB play next season.  I would like to get the ball rolling on grooming his young replacement ASAP, but you can't force anything in the draft.  If a guy isn't there then you move on and try and figure out some other way to get what you need.

One WR I just do not get the hype for is AJ Brown.  He's a mediocre possession guy padding his stats on underneath stuff from the slot against soft coverages.  Doesn't have to beat a press.  Doesn't get separation on any play from outside leverage.  Goes down easy for single open field tacklers and has no wiggle after the catch even though they throw him a thousand screens.  How can a slot guy with no explosiveness and who isn't that physical be the consensus top receiver in the class?  What am I missing with him?

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'd be crazy not to look at QB high in the draft.  We are absolutely in the market for one.  But that doesn't mean we'll find one this year.

Also Colt McCoy is definitely not a starting caliber QB, and to write that it's possible he could be makes the analysis a little suspect.  Realistically, you can't hold down a job as an NFL starter if you can't throw the whole route tree.  As much as I have my doubts about Alex Smith's ability to make throws outside the numbers, he can physically do it.  Him making a quick recovery and coming back for next season is our only decent chance at having good QB play next season.  I would like to get the ball rolling on grooming his young replacement ASAP, but you can't force anything in the draft.  If a guy isn't there then you move on and try and figure out some other way to get what you need.

I am not a Colt or Alex guy.  I know the injury Alex is going through my son had the same two broken bones and based on watching his rehab, I doubt Alex is back next season or if he is, he won't be the same initially and i wasn't in love with watching Alex when he was at 100%.

I don't trust my ability to evaluate QBs (scouts get it wrong most of the time aside from the elite type prospects so heck am not going to get it right) but what the heck for kicks and giggles -- I like to look some. 

I've watched Lock and Jones, Patterson, Stidham some and am not taken with them.  On Haskins i go back and forth.   I like watching Grier, plays with moxie and grit, but hard not to think its fools gold watching any QB carve up Big 12 defenses.  Though Baker is looking good this season.  I haven't watched Thorson at all or Rypien.  I am assuming Murray is playing baseball and won't come out in the draft.    Herbert probably not coming out.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One WR I just do not get the hype for is AJ Brown.  He's a mediocre possession guy padding his stats on underneath stuff from the slot against soft coverages.  Doesn't have to beat a press.  Doesn't get separation on any play from outside leverage.  Goes down easy for single open field tacklers and has no wiggle after the catch even though they throw him a thousand screens.  How can a slot guy with no explosiveness and who isn't that physical be the consensus top receiver in the class?  What am I missing with him?

I actually saw the same things you did.  Most of his best highlights are him making acrobatic catches over defenders, very little where he's open in space and makes a play.  The easy catch isn't the fun one to watch, but the best WRs are good at getting wide open... making the catches easier. 

Archived