Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Another option which might be crazy, but might also work is Mark Fields.  I know most people are thinking slot corner with him, but why not safety?  He'd be a project and you couldn't count on him to start next season.  But he's strong and he is a striker with desirable athletic traits.  The raw talent is good.  And right now I'm seeing day three as his range.  A fifth round pick feels like a good investment.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Another option which might be crazy, but might also work is Mark Fields.  I know most people are thinking slot corner with him, but why not safety?  He'd be a project and you couldn't count on him to start next season.  But he's strong and he is a striker with desirable athletic traits.  The raw talent is good.  And right now I'm seeing day three as his range.  A fifth round pick feels like a good investment.

Interesting, I’ll have to check Fields out.  

To your previous post, while I think Savage’s athletic traits might help his transition, I think you might be right about Thornhill and Thompson.  

Honestly though, I feel pretty confident that the FO will go with oline and receiver with their first two picks.  Right now, I’m guessing a trade back in the 1st to gain a 3rd, then G in the 1st, wr in the 2nd, ILB, QB, and TE in the 3rd.  Maybe someone like Fields and another olineman in the 5th.  Of course, edge rusher becomes an issue then.  Who knows.

Although I don’t like the idea of forcing picks for need, I think going that route could mesh need with value.  On the other hand, I think we could get two nice receiving prospects in the 3rd and 5th, which would free up our 2nd (perhaps for a safety, or guard if we nab an edge rusher in the 1st).  

17 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Casserly was crushing Rosen’s work ethic today.  No chance we should trade our #1 for him. We have too many holes after 3new ones created today.  Only a 3rd plus a player would be onay with me. 

We need to trade down for more picks unless a top 3 qb falls in our lap. 

Right on. Every person in the know is saying Rosen is worth a 3 and pos a late 2. No way is anyone giving up a 1 for him. Word in NY talk shows are that the Giants are after him but only for a 3. Would we be interested in him just after picking up a vet QB? 

Well if the Giants get Rosen, both they and the Jags are out of the drafting a QB this year.  That leaves Den (even with Flacco and rumor is they love Lock), Mia, and perhaps Cincy or Tenn if they bail on their guys.   Shows you again how ****ty we screw ourselves in draft slots by winning 1-3 meaningless games at the end of a season when we have no shot getting to or winning in the playoffs (especially with Josh Johnson this year as our QB).   we could have been in the top 7 and gotten a QB we like.  Effers.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Honestly though, I feel pretty confident that the FO will go with oline and receiver with their first two picks.  Right now, I’m guessing a trade back in the 1st to gain a 3rd, then G in the 1st, wr in the 2nd, ILB, QB, and TE in the 3rd.  Maybe someone like Fields and another olineman in the 5th.  Of course, edge rusher becomes an issue then.  Who knows. 

I would rather go the FA route at LG and WR to find starters for next season.  Those positions need some developmental time.  Very difficult to find early starters who are any good because the release and the route tree are usually not well developed, and most CFB OLs are not running NFL style protections.

If we are truly looking to make win now moves (don't like this draft philosophy at all), then edge rusher or CB or TE feel like the natural moves to make early on.  Drafting David Montgomery is also a great option if we're trying to win now.  That would buy goodwill from me.  I would much rather pick him and roll with him and Guice as a duo than bring back a 50 year old Adrian Peterson.

11 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

1-3 meaningless games

What ?

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME !

Clearly you don't attend any of those meaningless games. The folks I see at games want the team to win even the wine and cheese peeps upstairs.

Even stumbling down the stretch last year with our mash unit offense we still had a shot to get our buts kicked in the paloffs. That chance existed until the Tennessee game which was the second to the last game of the year so what the hell are you talking about ?

The last game was meaningless and we lost that one in horrific fashion so I ask again what meaningless game should we have tanked ? 

I am pretty sure AP wasn't down for tanking any games. Dude ran like a freaking savage in Tennessee, the patchwork quilt O-line was fighting hard as well. Do you think that any professional wants to lose so they can maybe be better next year ?

Every single fan of this team and likely player knew that if we somehow made the postseason as improbable as it was, that we would be rudely shown the door post haste. Does that mean that we don't hope and they don't try. I just don't understand this logic. 

Stop this insanity 

Even Scherff needed a season and second offseason to get good.  And he was an Outland trophy weight room rockstar best OL in his class type prospect.  We need a stop gap vet option at LG this season even if we pick an OL early.  I really like Jawan Taylor's upside, but Jonah Williams is probably the only OL I would be comfortable with starting at LG this year.  And I would still expect him to struggle quite a bit.

Watching NFL.com videos of Jonah Williams and Good Lord Joe Thomas looks like he could still go out there and school all of these guys.  He's lost weight since he retired.

Realistically, Jonah is a mid first round value.  I would not hate picking him at 15.  It's a safe bet because he's a clean prospect who already carries himself like a Pro.

But I would also feel that the move doesn't have a ton of upside, I would kind of want a little bit more of a power player at the OG spot.

I also wouldn't hate Jawan Taylor at 15 either, although I would feel like it's a slight reach.  Even though Jonah is cleaner, I like Jawan's upside more.  He's got really good feet for such a burly lineman, and although he's not as well balanced or flexible as Jonah, he's more powerful and nasty.  He could grow into a really fine LG.

I still like Dalton Risner too, although it is clear to me now that he is not as talented as Dillard, Jonah, and Jawan are.  But he's got some intangible qualities that I really like.  You can tell he is "gung ho" about football, and has a captain's mentality.  He is hungry as Hell.  He'll be a good culture guy if he can find a good home.

8 hours ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I think I may be on the Tyree Jackson in the mid rounds train. Enough of these limited QBs, get something with loads of potential 

The ability to improvise is a quality GM’s are suddenly enamored by. Just as the chase for the next Mcvay was hot, the chase for the next Mahomes is now. The things you can’t teach are paramount, could be bad news for coaches. 

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

Well if the Giants get Rosen, both they and the Jags are out of the drafting a QB this year.  That leaves Den (even with Flacco and rumor is they love Lock), Mia, and perhaps Cincy or Tenn if they bail on their guys.   Shows you again how ****ty we screw ourselves in draft slots by winning 1-3 meaningless games at the end of a season when we have no shot getting to or winning in the playoffs (especially with Josh Johnson this year as our QB).   we could have been in the top 7 and gotten a QB we like.  Effers.

Skins won 2 out of their last 11 games.  Not sure there are any QBs they really like anyways.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would rather go the FA route at LG and WR to find starters for next season.  Those positions need some developmental time.  Very difficult to find early starters who are any good because the release and the route tree are usually not well developed, and most CFB OLs are not running NFL style protections.

If we are truly looking to make win now moves (don't like this draft philosophy at all), then edge rusher or CB or TE feel like the natural moves to make early on.  

The better free agent WRs are quite pricey this off-season. Not sure about the quality/price balance for any of the Gs.  But if you get a decent LG then you would want to draft a low round G prospect because he might have a multi-year development time.  Since Nsekhe is leaving the Skins are going to have to seriously consider what to do if a top rated tackle is available at 15.  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Given what you say about oline, and that guards are typically less expensive than some other positions, I find it interesting that they’ve seemed to go earlier in the draft.  So I’m not confident we can get a quality guard if we wait until the 2nd.  I mean, I know we can, I just don’t know about waiting.  I do expect we’ll sign a cheaper FA guard to compete with Catalina and a rook.  

As for receiver, I hear ya.  I think we either target a big guy with a large catch radius and good mitts, or go for a speed guy (with good separation skills).  Either way, I’d guess we target guys with some polish to them in terms of route running.  Doesn’t solve the problem you mentioned, but I could see them going that route to try to fast track the process.  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we are truly looking to make win now moves (don't like this draft philosophy at all), then edge rusher or CB or TE feel like the natural moves to make early on.  Drafting David Montgomery is also a great option if we're trying to win now.  That would buy goodwill from me.  I would much rather pick him and roll with him and Guice as a duo than bring back a 50 year old Adrian Peterson.

First of all, I’ve done several mock drafts and I often end up with Montgomery.  Partially because he’s available in the late 3rd, and partially because it was a need for us.  Thanks for pointing him out - dude’s a stud.  

If we draft an early corner, do you think they start ahead of Dunbar/Moreau?  Or would you take Murphy (if available) and stick him in the slot?

I think we can get a quality TE in any of the first 3 rounds... and I hope we do.  1st is a little rich for me, but...

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Chasing Mosley is a clear indication that we want a ILB. Cant see anyway we overlook LG and WR. Then a day two QB. Wildcard for me is CB, I have a feeling that we'd get a damn good one in round 1. 

Nah we won't go for a Day 2 QB - maybe day 3 (maybe).  4 picks in Day 1 and 2  - my prediction (not in order) will be Edge, 2 OL and a WR. 

3 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Shows you again how ****ty we screw ourselves in draft slots by winning 1-3 meaningless games at the end of a season when we have no shot getting to or winning in the playoffs (especially with Josh Johnson this year as our QB).   we could have been in the top 7 and gotten a QB we like.  Effers.

First, for good players, there is no such thing as a meaningless game except maybe for the preseason.  Next, many of the other players, like Josh Johnson, may have been participating in the last organized game they'll ever be involved in or know it is tape time to get the interest of other teams, the games are NOT meaningless to them. The coaches and FO are playing for their jobs and credibility, no games are meaningless unless their future is already secured.  From a fans perspective,  we were not out of the playoff hunt until the next to last game. The main fail in that game was not stopping the Titans offense.  If it had not been for bad officiating (admitted to by the NFL and not just a fan's opinion), the last game would have been meaningful from a fans perspective. Most real fans want their team to actually win anyway.

Of the top 3 QBs, all have bust potential and probably at least 1 will. Murray looks like the only one that a creative offensive mind (Gruden is not that) could be a successful year one guy running a team with massive holes elsewhere.  The primary missing element on defense was a consistent inability to get off the field on third downs which, according to some, can best be fixed with a better edge rushing. We are missing downfield threats for a new QB and one of his best friends, a two-way TE.  We have a gaping whole at LG.  While we have a lot of youth, our best defensive and offensive guys will be +30 this season.

13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Nah we won't go for a Day 2 QB - maybe day 3 (maybe).  4 picks in Day 1 and 2  - my prediction (not in order) will be Edge, 2 OL and a WR. 

Was actually just looking at edge players then, agree that's should be in there. Maybe we shift back from #15 for an extra day two pick.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Was actually just looking at edge players then, agree that's should be in there. Maybe we shift back from #15 for an extra day two pick.

I'd rather shift back for extra day 1s in 2020 and/or 2021.

I dont usually post these fake drafts. But I would take this one in a heartbeat :)

team-helmets-redskins.png 
YOUR TEAM
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
YOUR PICKS
1: R1P15

QB KYLER MURRAY
OKLAHOMA
2: R2P14

LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN
3: R3P12

G NATE HERBIG
STANFORD
4: R3P32

TE ISAAC NAUTA
GEORGIA
5: R5P15

WR HUNTER RENFOW
CLEMSON

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

First, for good players, there is no such thing as a meaningless game except maybe for the preseason.  Next, many of the other players, like Josh Johnson, may have been participating in the last organized game they'll ever be involved in or know it is tape time to get the interest of other teams, the games are NOT meaningless to them. The coaches and FO are playing for their jobs and credibility, no games are meaningless unless their future is already secured.  From a fans perspective,  we were not out of the playoff hunt until the next to last game. The main fail in that game was not stopping the Titans offense.  If it had not been for bad officiating (admitted to by the NFL and not just a fan's opinion), the last game would have been meaningful from a fans perspective. Most real fans want their team to actually win anyway.

Of the top 3 QBs, all have bust potential and probably at least 1 will. Murray looks like the only one that a creative offensive mind (Gruden is not that) could be a successful year one guy running a team with massive holes elsewhere.  The primary missing element on defense was a consistent inability to get off the field on third downs which, according to some, can best be fixed with a better edge rushing. We are missing downfield threats for a new QB and one of his best friends, a two-way TE.  We have a gaping whole at LG.  While we have a lot of youth, our best defensive and offensive guys will be +30 this season.

That is all obvious. Im just saying during the last 20yrs of mediocrity we tend to win games near end of seasons when already out of playoff contention that push our draft position down 5-10 slots. As a fan that is frustrating is all. 

Mediocrity doesnt get you blue chippers in draft( i know Allen and Payne fell) and we have many holes. Thus you have to trade up or pay thru nose for blue chippers in FA.  Hard to turn it around quickly that way. 

Archived