Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Just read a mock that has us trading the 15th pick for Rosen and the 65th pick.

I'd be ecstatic if that came to fruition. 

To get a potential franchise quarterback and get a third rounder in return would be awesome. 

We'd have a pick in round two and 3 picks in round three to fill those needs on the offensive line and maybe get a weapon or two for Rosen. 

Casserly was crushing Rosen’s work ethic today.  No chance we should trade our #1 for him. We have too many holes after 3new ones created today.  Only a 3rd plus a player would be onay with me. 

We need to trade down for more picks unless a top 3 qb falls in our lap. 

Casserly knows nothing. But trading anything more than a 3rd for Rosen would be a crime. Why should we bail out Arizona? 

Our 3rd is going towards a qb. They can choose whether or not they want that or not. I still don’t think he’s the right fit for this team. The market is just about closed for qb’s, and AZ won’t get anymore than a 3rd for Rosen. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I would take nearly all of these guys at 15 if we're being honest. Knowing what I know now about them. 

But you wouldn't have had to, and it's senseless to draft anyone before you have to.

Skin'Em is not wrong that TE has low draft value.  Good players at the position always seem to be available outside the first round.  And this year is an unusually deep class and it will be no exception.

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Mark Andrews : round 3

Jimmy Graham : round 3

Austin Hooper : round 3

Zach Ertz : round 2

Rob Gronkowski: round 2

Travis Kelce : round 3

Jason Witten round 3

Jordan Reed round 3

Antonio Gates udfa

George Kittle round 5

Chris Cooley round 3

There are many more examples. Good tight end value can be found outside the 1st round. 

4 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Still looking to trade back with the Raiders to 24 and pick up a 2nd.

Maybe go.

Round 1 24: Deandre Baker CB

Round 2 03: Mack Wilson ILB

Round 2 14: Deebo Samuel WR

With the Two round 3 Picks, definitely nab an OG and BPA

We are not getting a 2nd rounder moving from #15 to #24.

Last year, the Bills traded #22 and #65 (a 3rd) for #16+#154 (a 5th)

Maybe we could trade #15+#153 to the Steelers for #20+#66.

11 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Maybe go.

Trade back or not. I like Deebo in the 2nd.. our offense desperately needs playmakers.  Deebo provides juice and I think can be effective with simple concepts that allow his ability to take over. He should have an immediate impact. Our current playmakers are who? Guice and Reed with a splash of CT? In your scenario which I like... swap baker for TE and I love it.

Right or wrong we have invested plenty at the CB position need someone to develop in house..between Dunbar,  Monroe,  Adionis, Stroman and Johnson..somebody should emerge.  If not two...

58 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Maybe go.

Question would you rather have that extra 2d or a 1st next year? For everyone.

24 minutes ago, nonniey said:

If I was the GM on the hot seat feeling a desperate need to win and/or get fans in seats this year?  Probably the extra 2nd.  

As a fan on his couch?  Probably the 1st.  Though I gotta say, I love a lot of these 2nd round prospects this year.  

On 1/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, volsmet said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/most-likely-senior-bowl-prospects-to-go-round-1/

This list of guys who could go in round 1, SIP may have posted this already, but going through every pass in the sr bowl, Howard was the best tackle.

Takes some guys longer, but it’s good to see Matt Miller doing his best to keep up with the thread.

What a shocking turn of events. This stuff is complicated. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes there's potential for Alabama State T Tytus Howard to be selected in Round 1 of the NFL Draft.

Miller notes that Howard (6'5/322) is an "agile, fluid" prospect and has risen above "bigger names like Ole Miss' Greg Little and Kansas State's Dalton Risner" on Miller's draft board. Howard produced just a 28th percentile athletic composite score at the NFL Scouting Combine and as a small school prospect may not garner the respect of other players in the draft. He'll probably be an early Day 2 selection unless a certain team falls in love with him prior to the NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
Mar 12, 2019, 10:31 PM

34 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Takes some guys longer, but it’s good to see Matt Miller doing his best to keep up with the thread.

What a shocking turn of events. This stuff is complicated. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes there's potential for Alabama State T Tytus Howard to be selected in Round 1 of the NFL Draft.

Miller notes that Howard (6'5/322) is an "agile, fluid" prospect and has risen above "bigger names like Ole Miss' Greg Little and Kansas State's Dalton Risner" on Miller's draft board. Howard produced just a 28th percentile athletic composite score at the NFL Scouting Combine and as a small school prospect may not garner the respect of other players in the draft. He'll probably be an early Day 2 selection unless a certain team falls in love with him prior to the NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
Mar 12, 2019, 10:31 PM

Good stuff, Volsmet.

I've seen a lot of people here post about Sutton Smith. The guy was  6'0" and 233 at the combine. That's just too small for the position. I wouldn't touch him. I don't think there is any precedent for a guy his size being successful. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sutton-smith?id=3219534d-4967-1290-7c06-bc9db721f480

I think a real blue chip player will fall to 15. Also, thank god the pick Cleveland is sending to NY is pick 17. I don't want them picking twice before us. We have some similar needs in on the edge and at QB. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman has been doubling down that he heard from people he knows at the FO that they want a blue chipper who can hit the ground running and contribute immediately for a win now season.  If he's right that doesn't scream to me Metcalf, though I like him.   I am thinking OLB-MLB-OG.  Actually some TE's hit the ground running.  WRs tend to take time -- Metcalf has a ton of tools but wonder if he's polished enough as a route runner to hit the ground running in a win now season. 

At 15 i definitely see OLB MLB OG depending on who is there. If Sweat falls to us, or Ferrell. One of the Devins. Cody Ford. I would be fine with any of those. 

I would love to know if they think Ryan Anderson is the answer to the Edge.

17 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So who could be available in the #15-#46 range that's Day 1 contributing to a winning season?  We can rule out DL immediately, as their impact is lower due to snaps shared with Payne, Allen, and Ioannidis.  I don't think any QB available in that range is Day 1 ready to contribute.

Guard - Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, Erik McCoy, Chris Lindstrom

Edge - Clelin Ferrell

TE - TJ Hockenson (maybe Irv Smith and Fant)

WR - Marquise Brown

ILB - Devin Bush, (maybe Blake Cashman)

A lot of the WR's have potential, but are just raw.  There are some less talented guys who are more ready like Riley Ridley and AJ Brown.  A fair amount of speedsters as well as big body guys.  But ready Day 1 to contribute towards a winning season?  I'm not sure.

If that's the plan, for guys who are more polished...then the list narrows considerably right?  I didn't include safeties as I haven't watched guys like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and I need to see more of Nasir Adderley.

I think for starters if Hoffman is correct (and he's not the only one stressing a win now season so he's likely on the money) than the rest of FA might influence this some.  I presume safety is likely out for the first two rounds now. 

Trying to read the tea leaves we have thus far (last year the tea leaves were pretty on the money so they might be again)

The players so far that was mentioned that they like are:

Chris Lindstrom, Noah Fant, Seemed like Standig hinted Hockenson but not sure if he meant that's his take or the team, N. Harry, Marquise Brown

Keim said he knows they want a playmaker at WR bad and probably from the draft

Hoffman said they want speed and play makers

Some suspect pass rusher is in this mix, too

Jay when talking about need highlighted MLB

They were willing to pay the mood for Mosley

So here's my guesses right now based on that.

Just like last year when they seem determined to take a RB in the 2nd round and as we got closer we heard they either trade back into the late first or try to get one in the 2nd.  I bet its a similar idea for Wr.   Arguably the 2nd round is the sweet spot for receiver.

If they roll they way they typically do, the LG will be some journeyman type they will sign in FA.  But if they don't LG is staring them in the face.  

Its the first round where Hoffman stressed they want a plug and play star.   I think Hockenson could be that guy -- Jay loves his duo runs which relies on the TE to hold the edge but he doesn't have the horses at that spot to hold the edge.    If they don't get a LG in FA, whomever drops among J. Williams, C. Ford, J. Taylor.  You'd figure they'd all be attractive because LG is typically a plug and play position for rookies and two of three (Ford more of a RT) could be the future at LT.  

The most obvious thing would be pass rusher.  They are expensive as heck in FA and they have a gap there.  So right now I'd guess its:  Hockenson or one of the LG prospects (unless they sign one in FA) or Burns or Ferrell.  Ferrell to me screams their type of player on the D line since he can also stop the run.  Does he hit the ground running though.  I don't know.

The wild cards are do they like Rosen where they trade their 2nd rounder for him?  Or some think they like Stidham.  Heck Finlay thinks if the Cards don't take Murray, they'd consider trading up for him.  So some chess pieces still have to fall. 

Doug there?

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

The 2d this year.  Historically, rebuilds take no more than 3 years (only one that took more in my lifetime went from 1969 to 1971 before the team in question actually got to the playoffs). If you rebuild, you need to max out your current resources to be ready for the new FO/coaches as evidence over the 50 or so years tells us that it is more about the right FO/coach while all rosters have about the same talent level.

Last season 7 of 12 teams had not been to the playoffs the year before. The Bears were in the playoff for the first time since 2010 and had not been all that competitive since 2013.  They actually traded future picks away.  The Chargers went to the playoffs for the first time since 2013. McCoy did not trade for future picks in his last year and Lynn did not trade away any picks in 2017 for future picks during his rebuild. The 2017 Rams was a team made up primarily of guys who were on the roster the previous year. Even the 2017 Eagles had a significant number of guys on there roster who were from the previous regime.  The 2011 starting 49ers were almost completely guys from previous regimes. The 2001 Patriots were heavily made up of FAs and guys left over from previous regimes.  When Gibbs took over the Redskins in 1981, he traded future picks away and turned a 6-10 team manned heavily by guys from previous regimes into a 2 time SB team! It really wasn't until 1985 that the guys he put on the team became the primary roster monsters.

If our FO is bad, we should not even be sniffing the playoffs if our roster is bad. 2018, even with the massive number of injuries and a hole so wide at LG a truck could easily be driven through it, we had a shot at the playoffs until we lost the second to last game.  A bad call by the officials (the NFL admitted it), a bad coaching decision and 1 play kept this massively banged up team from the playoffs (albeit probably 1 and done). 2017, again a massive banged up year, was only 3 plays away when looking at field performance.  Either our FO is awesome or the roster is good enough if they had the right FO and coaches.

What about Deionte Thompson in the second round? 

Feels like he's kind of been forgotten about because he missed the combine and the other safeties showed out.  But he does have some pretty good film from this past season.

My take is that I think he could be good value at 2.14, and I don't think that the corner or edge value in that range is going to be very good.  Not sure how the OL class is going to break either, but my suspicion is that six OLs are going to go in the first round and that there might only be like two good OLs available around 46.  I think the BPAs are going to be safeties and WRs at that spot.

He'd be an aggressive option at single high safety but the payoff in turnovers could outweigh the mistakes.  I also think he is still rapidly developing as a player and that he could end up being a lot cleaner.  If he worked out, think about how terrifying this defense could be with him and R Foster running alleys and tracking receivers over the middle.

And the fact remains that he and Thornhill are perhaps the only two prospects with the talent to start as rookies who are natural fits in a single high system.  Savage maybe, but I'm not as sure about the fit playing single deep.  I hate drafting for need, but that's why I'm thinking we should target Thompson in the second, where the value is there too.

Archived