Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

On 10/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Do you think were a better team if we reached for Hernandez and passed on Payne?

I dont think settle is going to be anything, Brantley might.McGee is crap. Iaon is good in bursts. We have 2/3rds of the best Dline in ages, but it still needs another starter.

I'm not advocating ignoring the Oline. I'm advocating BPA and there's room for improvement on the Dline too.

You might not think Settle is going to be anything but that could have been said during Ioannidis rookie year too.  Any unit can always be upgraded, it’s just at what expense?  Keep drafting DL in first round and ignore other need areas like Safety, ILB, OL?

Just now, -JB- said:

You might not think Settle is going to be anything but that could have been said during Ioannidis rookie year too.  Any unit can always be upgraded, it’s just at what expense?  Keep drafting DL in first round and ignore other need areas like Safety, ILB, OL?

I've been leading the "draft a FS" charge for years and also wanted to move up for Vander Esch and maybe Hernandez last year. 

I have no idea if Settle will be anything, but another player of Payne and Allen's caliber to start and compliment them and do the things we lack would be outstanding. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've been leading the "draft a FS" charge for years and also wanted to move up for Vander Esch and maybe Hernandez last year. 

I was perfectly on board with drafting Derwin James but Daron Payne at NT I was just as on board with.  Montae Nicholson has been average thus far.  Could definitely use an upgrade next to Swearinger.  I’d also be thrilled if a fast playmaking ILB fell into our laps.

10 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I was perfectly on board with drafting Derwin James but Daron Payne at NT I was just as on board with.  Montae Nicholson has been average thus far.  Could definitely use an upgrade next to Swearinger.  I’d also be thrilled if a fast playmaking ILB fell into our laps.

Got any candidates in mind?

I like Dre'Mont Jones #86 DL Ohio State, but don't necessarily love him.

Athletic traits are outstanding.  Get off speed and movements skills are outstanding.  I saw him beating Bosa off the line.  And the agility is manifest.  But as far as size goes, he's a little on the small side.  His build is like a 5 technique, but he looks a little short to me.  I'm not sure I believe that 6'3 listing.  He definitely doesn't have the size to play one technique except as a pure rusher.  He'd be small for the three technique at the next level, although we do see a few outliers at that position when they can pass rush.

The functional power isn't anything special and the balance through contact isn't that good.  His pads get high when he plays, so you wonder how flexible he is.  Hands look pretty solid though.  And he's so fast it's fun to see him split doubles.

He seems a bit like a one trick pony right now.  Kind of like Taven Bryan from last year, except Bryan  was taller and played with lower pads.

My line of thinking is that he's going to need to transition to the edge for the NFL.  Become a king sized base-end like Cameron Jordan.  But he's going to have to demonstrate an ability to anchor the edge against the run.  Right now most of what you see from him is just straight up downhill spill defense and pass rushes.  I want to see him anchor against a double more often.  That was one of the things that really stood out about Cam Jordan on film when he was at USC.  He was a phenomenal run defender who set a bruising edge and was very good at shucking the block and making the one on one stop.

I'm no scout, I barely watch any college football until bowl season, but if there's one position that we don't need to address with a high pick it's DL. We have three studs and Settle with potential behind them, we're far better off there than in any other position.

If the season stays on course, we won't be in the top half of the 1st round. If all goes well and we're picking in the 20s+, I'd cross my fingers for a edge rusher, CB, G, or QB to fall to us. Some may completely disagree with the QB, but we need to keep that option open. Mahomes gave Alex Smith a ton of credit for his development and knowledge and I'd like to groom a QB the correct way instead of throwing them in and feeding them to the dogs like we see in AZ, BUF, CLE. 

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

We will probably be drafting towards the end of the first round in the 20’s so I’d say Tre Lamar from Clemson is a guy to look out if drafting ILB in first round..

Using the need + BPA philosophy I espoused earlier in the thread, any OG/DT/EDGE guys you like around that same position (comparable on the board)?

4 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Using the need + BPA philosophy I espoused earlier in the thread, any OG/DT/EDGE guys you like around that same position (comparable on the board)?

I forgot about ILB Vosean Joseph from Florida as well.  I like him.  We could go Alabama again and draft ILB Mack Wilson ha

Boston College OG Chris Lindstrom is somebody to look at and I’d go that route before drafting another interior lineman.

Just now, -JB- said:

I wanted to move up for Fitzgerald or get Payne. I didn't want James because I strictly viewed him as a SS, but I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was a Payne booster.  He was my favorite prospect for us.  I liked Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitpatrick a lot too but figured they wouldn't be available.  I loved the way our draft went, it was one of my favorite classes in a long time.

I was highest on Roquan Smith but knew he wouldn’t be there at 13.  Perfectly happy with Payne.  Great pick.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was a Payne booster.  He was my favorite prospect for us.  I liked Roquan Smith and Minkah Fitpatrick a lot too but figured they wouldn't be available.  I loved the way our draft went, it was one of my favorite classes in a long time.

You turned me onto Payne early in the year and I never looked back.

I've loved our last two drafts. I really think Anderson and SDH are going to be really great players as well.

This defensive tackle class reminds me of the defensive end class of 2011 with how loaded in top end talent it could be.  That class produced Vonn Miller, JJ Watt, Cam Jordan, Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Adrian Clayborn, and Cameron Heyward all in the first round.  Four interior linemen went in the first round too.

Two Clemson kids, two Alabama kids, Oliver, Willis, Simmons, the kid from Notre Dame.  Eight potential first or early second round DTs. Rashan Gary also there as a tweener.  And then probably five more edge players in that range too.

There will be attrition and some guys will go back to school.  But this is going to be a banner DL class no matter what.  It's the strength of the first round by a mile.  This will be a good year to grab a DL in the 20s who would normally go in the early teens or top ten.

19 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'll have to admit to being wrong on my Payne view. I really wanted Vea, and thought Payne would only be a good plan B if we traded down. Glad I'm not in charge of the draft room. Good call Steve

19 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I would take another DL in next year's 1st round, but I would have given a 5th for Snacks now. We have 2 5th rounders next year anyway. You can never have to many good DL, and Snacks is very good in my opinion,  plus it keeps our other DL fresh.

HTTR 

Don't think the Giants would trade with anyone in their division.  

19 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You turned me onto Payne early in the year and I never looked back.

I've loved our last two drafts. I really think Anderson and SDH are going to be really great players as well.

Anderson has been pretty quiet, though, hasn't he? What I recall this year is him mostly functioning as fullback. I like the versatility, but what about the role we drafted him for?

8 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Don't think the Giants would trade with anyone in their division.  

Yeah - only we are stupid enough to do that.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Anderson has been pretty quiet, though, hasn't he? What I recall this year is him mostly functioning as fullback. I like the versatility, but what about the role we drafted him for?

Anderson makes plays almost every time hes in.

28 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Anderson has been all over the place... he just doesn't touch the field as much.  My feeling is that we don't feel pressured to have him in there because of how good our interior line has been.  It's allowed for Foster / Brown to be more rangy.  I've also seen a lot more of Kerrigan playing in run support, instead of being singularly a pass rusher.  Mix all that up and you want to put your best players on the field.  Kerringan / Smith > Anderson.  That's not a knock on Anderson as much as it's an endorsement for the other two.  I'm having trouble finding exactly how many snaps he's played, but i'd be surprised if he averaged more then 8-10 per game... 

On 10/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here's my take on Quinnen Williams, #92 DT for Alabama, the guy who will probably be at or near the top of our board.  IMO, he is Alabama's best defensive player this year.

Judging by mocks, buzz he might be going top 5 or at least top 10.  The Alabama DT who was more hyped than Williams before the season but has dropped since is Raekwon Davis -- I am guessing if we are picking in the early 20s looks like there is a fighting chance he's there considering all the depth at DT.  I've watched just about every Alabama game but didn't zero in on him much, his sack production is way down from last year.  I was at the Alabama Louisville game and he was hard to miss him as a pure physical specimen -- he looks like a giant.   What do you think of him?

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Anderson has been all over the place... he just doesn't touch the field as much.  My feeling is that we don't feel pressured to have him in there because of how good our interior line has been.  It's allowed for Foster / Brown to be more rangy.  I've also seen a lot more of Kerrigan playing in run support, instead of being singularly a pass rusher.  Mix all that up and you want to put your best players on the field.  Kerringan / Smith > Anderson.  That's not a knock on Anderson as much as it's an endorsement for the other two.  I'm having trouble finding exactly how many snaps he's played, but i'd be surprised if he averaged more then 8-10 per game... 

I haven't been too impressed with our outside pass rush save for the last game. 

If Anderson was drafted as an OLB, do we really think he can't add something to our pass rush and, if not, is he likely to just be a career backup/rotational guy? 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am intrigued by Marquise Brown. The dude is so fast and explosive -- with this QB, I think we need a guy who can take a hitch/screen and go to the house.  Also would help with the sweep action, etc. 

Where do you think he'll go in the draft? 

Archived