Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

19 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

@stevemcqueen1 What are your thoughts on Cameron Smith, ILB, USC? 

I watched a little bit of Cam Smith for last year's draft and I thought he looked pretty good and versatile but I wasn't blown away with his talent.  I think my take then was 2nd or 3rd round.  I like his toughness and motor.  He's about average sized but he doesn't necessarily always play big.  Pursuit angles are good and has fluid feet in coverage.  His drops into his zones look nice and effortless.  Flips his hips well.  Closing speed is good, but not great.  Does a very good job breaking down for tackles and dragging down ball carriers.  Good at making tackles off his frame.  He's a coordinated athlete.  Twitchier than I expected because he moves with patience and tends to glide around the field with an economy of steps. 

Instincts look decent and you see that born out in a high level of career production but they're definitely not elite.  He can have some trouble reading the gaps and finding the football.  Arm length looks pretty good but I wasn't that impressed with his ability to keep himself clean when he's stacking up blocks.  He has trouble disengaging from powerful OLs who know how to land their punches.  His play strength isn't that impressive and I think it's his biggest weakness.  He's much more of a chase and hit guy rather than a guy who likes to thump in the box.  But he doesn't have the elite foot speed of the really good chase and hit linebackers.

He's been super productive and I suspect he's a steady intangibles guy, but I think he's a mid round talent at best.  Third round feels like his ceiling for me.  He's going to need to run pretty well at the combine.  I'm not crazy about him personally but I could be wrong.

20 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just got around to watching some videos of him on youtube. I'm impressed, to me he looks like the #2 ILB of the draft. I pretty much agree with your entire analysis, he has the right body type that can absorb impact as well. I would not be upset if he was our round 2 pick. Heck he could even slide into the first with a good combine because of his production.

I don't think he's going to make it to the second round.  He'd have to run really slow at the combine to fall out of the first IMO, 4.8 territory.  He's the ILB I feel safest with in this class, particularly for our scheme, and he's been the best one at the position that I've seen so far.  Not as athletically gifted as Devin White but he's more skilled. Looks like he's worked hard on his coverages and gotten a lot better at that part of the position this year.  For our particular scheme, I think I would rank him over White if I were our GM because he would be really good at both inside positions.

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems like a a good chunk of the draft geeks now see White as a top 10 pick I noticed.

I would probably pump the breaks on putting any of these stack linebackers in the top ten.  It's so unusual for stack linebackers to get picked that early that they have to be really special to go top ten.  Special like Kuechly and Roquan.  Those two and Ro McClain are the only ones that have gone that high in the last ten drafts.  Sometimes even being truly special isn't enough.  Myles Jack fell to the second round and Patrick Willis went 11th.

None of the guys in this class are Kuechly or Roquan special.  I think the top two guys are turning out to be Coney and White, and I think their ceilings are getting picked in the teens.  One will probably go teens and the other one in the early twenties.  They're probably the only first round worthy guys among the pure stack linebackers.  I could see Anfernee Jennings going second half of the first round (probably where ever we pick, he's got Tideskins written all over him) but he's more of an outside guy IMO.

It wouldn't shock me if an early second round guy snuck into the end of the first round though and we see a third stack linebacker taken in the first.  Still early though and unexpected names usually emerge as people get around to watching their film.  At this point last year I definitely didn't see Tremaine Edmunds as a teens pick.

I know you're a Mack Wilson fan, and so am I.  I like him for a lot of the same reasons I loved Myles Jack.  He hasn't been productive though and Alabama's defense looks like they've taken a step back as a group this season.  He was supposed to be that leader in the middle.  I think he's going to have to return to school for his senior season and have a better year in order to get picked in the first half of the draft.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I know you're a Mack Wilson fan, and so am I.  I like him for a lot of the same reasons I loved Myles Jack.  He hasn't been productive though and Alabama's defense looks like they've taken a step back as a group this season.  He was supposed to be that leader in the middle.  I think he's going to have to return to school for his senior season and have a better year in order to get picked in the first half of the draft.

Quinton Williams and Deionte Thompson seem to be the surprises on the upside as to Alabama's defense.  I see them already top 15 in multiple mocks. 

As for Mack Wilson, he seems to over pursue and miss tackles at times too much.  Saban likes to send him at times to rush but that doesn't seem to be his niche.  I like him in part because of his athleticism and he can make plays in coverage. His versatility to play both linebacker spots.   I don't think you need to bring in a Harvey-Clemons to sub for Mack like you would for Zach Brown.  He seems to play with a lot of energy and oomph.   And because he's no D. White I think we'd have a shot of landing him the latish first round if that's where we pick.

Not saying he's the guy that I want right now.  Just having fun with the whole we go Alabama defenders in the first round drill.  If so Mack to me seems like a fit.

Speaking of late first round, I am starting to be intrigued by Marquise Brown.  I don't think I've seen talk here about him but might have missed.  I know you are skeptical about deep threat receivers with Alex's arm, etc.  But looks like we've adopted the jet sweep-fake motion jet sweep action like KC liked to do with Hill.  Brown's speed would be a good fit I think.  Also as for RPO's usually it brings a fair share of screen action -- Brown can take a screen and go to the house potentially with it.  Brown is a small dude but he goes 0-60 really fast -- dynamic.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
 You Retweeted

The 2018 Defensive Rookie of the Year will be...

Do1_HPrXoAIz-lf.jpg

Leonard has been a total beast for the colts. Hes made that defense respectable.

Edit: Wow, hes on pace for a 216 tackle season with 16 sacks... lol. That would be an all-time great season.

Edit again: Those numbers are totally wrong, I already forgot the colts played Thursday

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think he's going to make it to the second round.  He'd have to run really slow at the combine to fall out of the first IMO, 4.8 territory.  He's the ILB I feel safest with in this class, particularly for our scheme, and he's been the best one at the position that I've seen so far.  Not as athletically gifted as Devin White but he's more skilled. Looks like he's worked hard on his coverages and gotten a lot better at that part of the position this year.  For our particular scheme, I think I would rank him over White if I were our GM because he would be really good at both inside positions.

Where do you see his range being in the draft? Are you thinking top 15 or more so our range from 15-32?

Wanted to take a minute to talk about my initial take on Darrell Henderson, RB #8 from Memphis since he's currently leading the country in rushing yardage.

The good:

- Powerful build.  Short but very thick.  Kind of a Frank Gore build.

- Excellent top gear in the open field.  Home run hitter.

- Gears up in the backfield very fast.  Presses the second level almost immediately after the handoff.

- Capable of making cuts at top speed.

- Good leg strength.  Runs through a lot of tackles.

- Good vision.  Good at finding the space in the box traffic even though he's not the kind of patient guy who'll wait on all his blocks.

- Hands look pretty good.

- Good blocker for the position.  Gets used as a blocker on outside runs a lot.  Kind of similar to a Georgia Tech B-back because Memphis uses a lot of direct snap runs in their system.

The bad:

- Balance is surprisingly poor.  Goes down on weak tackles and open field cuts a surprising amount.

- Route running is rough looking.  Not really a good option in the slot, although Memphis does line him up there.

- Gaudy production has come against some weaker competition.  I'll be interested to see how he does against UCF.

My initial take on Deionte Thompson:

The good:

- Tall for the position.  Arms look long.

- Good leaper

- Coordinated and has good body control.  Can break down very quickly.

- Fluid backpedal in zone

- Fluid hips.  Can turn and bail without gathering himself

- Plays the game at a very high speed.  Click and close speed is outstanding

- Long speed looks top notch for the safety position

- Has demonstrated the ability to play single high and handle box duty

- Plays very fast and slippery in the box.  Slithers around blockers and surprises ball carriers early in runs with how quickly he's gotten downhill on them.

- Sees the field well and finds the football.  Very confident playing from deep zones and doesn't usually get caught up on playfakes.

- Extremely aggressive and a hard hitter.  Tone setter mentality.  He's about that life.

- Looks like he has the potential to single cover WRs and TEs pretty well.

- Good hands.  Does a good job breaking up passes and is capable of making very athletic catches for INTs.

The bad:

- Very lanky frame.  Thin at the joints.  Doesn't have the frame that can carry a lot of muscle bulk despite his height.

- High cut build reminds me of Eric Berry's, but more of Thompson's height is in the neck.

- Play strength is a little underwhelming.  Gonna have to win with technique when he gets blocked by TEs and big receivers.

- Dodgy angles of pursuit.  Timing looks like an issue for him.

- Erratic tackler.  Doesn't bring his arms when he goes for the hit.  Sells out for the kill shot.  He's going to miss a lot of tackles against NFL ball carriers.

- Supposed to be the QB of the defense but there have been an unusually high number of coverage breakdowns in Alabama's defense this season.  Is he ready to handle this kind of role at the next level?

My bottom line take is that he's a first round talent but he's not ready to make the jump to the NFL yet.  Ideally he would go back to school for his senior year and develop his body and his leadership and tackling skills.  He has the heart and the athleticism and the mentality of a great safety.  He just needs time to grow.  However I think he's going to have to make the jump to the NFL early if he gets a first or second round grade.  You just can't take the risk of getting injured when you've got that kind of money headed your way.

From the NFL team's perspective, I think he offers value in the late first or early to mid second round.  Lower than that, I think he offers very good value and would be BPA in most situations.  I think his speed pushes him up a little higher on the draft board than his current skill level and level of production would otherwise warrant because it makes his upside very high.  I would draft him in that range and plan for him to take a year or maybe even two before he's ready to be a good starting safety for me.  He's an upside pick who could pay big dividends if he develops well.  But the floor is a little lower than you like for a potential first round draft choice.

Into this talk about ILBs, which,IMO, is the most needy position for the Skins after WR, let me add that I was in the Big House last Saturday, third row, and the best player on the field before his suspension was Tre Watson. Great play recognition, strong at the point of attack, and brings anger when he tackles. Really liked what I saw.

Anfernee Jennings just isn't getting the necessary production to be an early round pick this spring.  Especially not with his injury history.  He's an assignment football guy but he should be finding the ball more than he has.  The fact that he's not making plays tells me he hasn't really recovered from the knee injury and he isn't the player he was last season.

He's going to need to go back to school for his Senior year in order to work his way into the first half of the draft.  If he comes out now, I think the 4th or 5th rounds are his best case scenario.  If the knee doesn't check out, he could go undrafted.

It's a shame because I really think he has Donta Hightower/Courtney Upshaw talent and could have been picked in a similar late first to early second round range if he were healthy and producing.

21 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Into this talk about ILBs, which,IMO, is the most needy position for the Skins after WR, let me add that I was in the Big House last Saturday, third row, and the best player on the field before his suspension was Tre Watson. Great play recognition, strong at the point of attack, and brings anger when he tackles. Really liked what I saw.

Yeah he looks like he's about that life.  There is a definite man among boys vibe with him.  You can tell he loves the game.

This weekend was probably the best week of production from the top ILBs as a group.  A lot of good performances that showcased their talent.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Even if y’all can’t evaluate for ****!  ? Oh hi there @Monk4thaHALL.....

Hey Buddy! ?

http://es.redskins.com/topic/404006-2017-comprehensive-nfl-draft-thread/?do=findComment&comment=10879350

Monk4thaHALL Posted February 16, 2017

Kareem Hunt has some attributes that I believe any NFL team would desire. Immediate first thought was he's a Ravens type RB. Patient zone stretch, plant and one-cut. Some immediacy of acceleration through the hole. Lowers a shoulder, willing toughness for extra yards. Apparent speed, relatively good. Some chatter floating around about the speed being better than first thought. He's got a jump-stop cut that is kind-of eye opening. Has bend in the body allowing for the sharp cuts. Uses a jump-cut on nearly every run. Ability to bounce a gap. Receiving ability as well.

...................................................................................

Gibbs Hog Heaven Posted February 16, 2017

Nope. Not doing it for me in the backs.

?

Darrell Henderson gashed UCF for 200 yards on Saturday.  Should have been more but he had a 32 yard TD run called back on a ticky tack hold call.

This is an off the wall comparison but his running style actually reminds me a little of Noel Devine.  And I see some CJ Spiller too.  He's built for the NFL though, unlike Devine.  And he has better vision than Spiller did.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Quinnen Williams has Redskins first round pick written all over him.  He's been Alabama's best defender this year.

Isn't he another Jon Allen?  Spending a 1st on a DT 3 years in a row gets you the New York Jets for the past few years (4 DT's in 5 years), or the Detroit Lions from 2007-ish (3 WR's in a row).  There's putting too many assets into one area at the sacrifice of balance in others.

Edit:  If he's not another 3 to 5 tech, and instead a huge Edge player, than I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Quinnen Williams has Redskins first round pick written all over him.  He's been Alabama's best defender this year.

Based on the last two years, I agree.  But they go though another DT?   Looks like he's headed to be a top 15 pick, probably top 10.

More

Quinnen Williams is currently the highest-graded player across the country – headlining the defensive players on our Midseason All-American Team https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-midseason-all-american-team 

Dpj2ApiW4AEvyZ4.jpg

Here are my quarter season top 5 offensive skill position players (minus TE's as I havent watched them yet). I want to add that this draft is going to be STACKED at OL. Really deep there especially at tackle. I will watch defensive players tape this weekend and put that out next week.

QB:

1) Drew Lock, Missouri

2) Ryan Finley, NC State

3) Justin Herbert, Oregon

4) Jake Browning, Washington

5) Will Grier, West Virginia

RB:

1) Justin Hill, Ok State

2) Bryce Love, Stanford

3) David Montgomery, Iowa State

4) Damien Harris, Bama

5) Myles Gaskin, Washington