Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Wastes of Talent, Sports or Otherwise


Spaceman Spiff

Recommended Posts

Im gonna say Ben Hogan, still widely recognized among PGA Pros as the greatest golfer to ever have lived.  Got in a car wreck, was never the same.

 

It is a guarantee he would have won a grand slam.  Its also a guarantee that if he were playing today he would still dominate... not many athletes you can say that about

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't count anyone who was killed or badly injured out of their control. The OP was: biggest WASTE of talent, as in they squander it because of their own accord. You can't account for accidents.

 

And the guy who mentioned Barry Sanders...LMFAO what? Guy made the freaking Hall of Fame, what more do you want?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't count anyone who was killed or badly injured out of their control. The OP was: biggest WASTE of talent, as in they squander it because of their own accord. You can't account for accidents.

 

Its still a waste by any definition of waste, maybe moreso.

 

The better question is, does talent even exist?  I would argue it does to a very limited extent, but mostly, talent is 100% myth.  There are a few exceptions, like some of the physical requirements to play certain sports, but that is it really.

 

A better word than talent is obsession.  Hendrix was not more talented than any of us, he was more obsessed with guitar than any of us.  Tiger Woods was more obsessed with golf.

 

once you start to realize the truth concerning 'talent', it should start to sink in what a waste of space all of us are for the most part

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With that in mind: how about Terry Kath? Kath was an incredible guitarist and was one of the creative driving forces of Chicago in their earliest year when they were a critically acclaimed and commercially successful jazz/rock fusion band (their "25 or 6 to 4" era). But he couldn't stay clean and his life and career ended in one of the most unnecessarily stupid ways possible.

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/chicagos-terry-kath-inside-the-life-and-tragic-death-of-an-unsung-guitar-hero-201725/

 

Quote

(While cleaning his firearms at the home of Don Johnson, an employee for Chicago, Kath accidentally fired a gun into his head after showing a concerned Johnson that the clip was empty – not realizing that there was a bullet remaining in the chamber.) “I remember just listening to him and thinking, ‘Wow, no one has been this open and said it in this way,'” Sinclair says of her conversation with Vaccarino. “Almost everyone said that the last thing they ever expected was my dad to kill himself with a gun because they trusted him so much with guns.”

 

He was even working on a solo album which had all the promise in the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Notorious BIG.

 

I can't even imagine how different (and 100% way better than the crap out now) rap would be if him (and Pac) were never killed.  Biggie is my all time favorite rapper and he had so little tracks out there compared to all of the unreleased tracks Pac has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zoony said:

 

Its still a waste by any definition of waste, maybe moreso.

 

The better question is, does talent even exist?  I would argue it does to a very limited extent, but mostly, talent is 100% myth.  There are a few exceptions, like some of the physical requirements to play certain sports, but that is it really.

 

A better word than talent is obsession.  Hendrix was not more talented than any of us, he was more obsessed with guitar than any of us.  Tiger Woods was more obsessed with golf.

 

once you start to realize the truth concerning 'talent', it should start to sink in what a waste of space all of us are for the most part

 

To some extent its natural. Some people are just born with better ears for music, or with better genetics(say, taller)to be able to play certain sports. But yes, work ethic and downright obsession to be great are big factors as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

To some extent its natural. Some people are just born with better ears for music, or with better genetics(say, taller)to be able to play certain sports. But yes, work ethic and downright obsession to be great are big factors as well.

 

Thats largely a myth.  Some people are born with an obsession for certain things, yes.  You can have your own belief you are entitled, but it is not objective.

 

My opinion is that the talent myth is the most harmful lie ever told to 99.999% of the population.

 

 

 

The Beatles were not talented.  They out worked everyone.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what follows is scraping the bottom of the barrel...we've exhausted pretty much everyone else. 

 

I'm thinking of two that haven't been mentioned and they are injury related.

 

Ki-Jana Carter - tore his knee up in preseason of his rookie year in an era when that kind of injury ruined you. Several years later, he did have a solid comeback and hung around the league a bit. I do think he would have been great had the knee injury not happened. Summary of injuries from wikipedia:

 

Often considered a "bust" by media given where he was drafted, Carter was beset with injuries from his rookie season on.

Carter tore a ligament in his knee on his third carry of his first preseason game of his rookie year, and never fully recovered. He missed the entire 1995 season.[11]

In 1997, he suffered a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder with fears that he would miss the entire season.[12]

In 1998, he missed the entire season after breaking his left wrist in a game against the Tennessee Titans.[13]

In 1999, he again missed the entire season after dislocating his right kneecap in a game against the Carolina Panthers.[14]

 

More of a stretch...Tim Couch - the shoulder injury. He was David Carred and Chad Penningtoned before each of those guys. Sure he was up and down, but the arm was never the same. Various other injuries plagued him as a result. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zoony said:

 

Thats largely a myth.  Some people are born with an obsession for certain things, yes.  You can have your own belief you are entitled, but it is not objective.

 

My opinion is that the talent myth is the most harmful lie ever told to 99.999% of the population.

 

 

Shaquille O'Neal had a meh work ethic.   He still tore up the NBA. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...