Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Should We Pick??

Duke

Its a little too early to speculate on specific players in the draft until after we see who we sign in free agency in March. Also, the juniors have not declared yet.

But being a nice guy....:laugh:..... I decided to play and chose DT Tommie Harris. Mainly because I read in one scouting report that Sean Taylor is projected as a SS rather than a FS, which would limit his playmaking ability if that is the case. :)

Call me crazy if you will....But I'm gonna go out on a limb and choose Kellen winslow JR. on this one...

Normally,I would never choose a TE period with the first round pick...However there are exceptions and JR is one of them....

I saw a clip of him and his dad together and "hall of fame" dad and his boy were talking about how JR has the tools to be even better than his dad....And how his dad wants him to be the best that he can be!

Guys,I never got the luxury to see Winslow SR. play,but from what i've seen on clips and NFL films and such he was the best of maybe 3 TE's to ever play...

John Mackey of the Colts was a beast! I never seen a Guy grab the ball out of the air while running over 2 guys at the same time only to score...

Dave Casper Probably never dropped a pass...and of course winslow who play on the Don Coryell teams with the likes of Fouts and such!

I realize we are in dire need of a DL and I can't be upset if we grab one cause our pass rush is sorry,but if snyder and bunch grab MR. Winslow then I will not be upset either!

Plus our TE's suck!and needs to be addressed!

Oh,and spurrier will find a way to use his TE if winslow is on the field!

I know I will get hosed by many,but for some reason I can see this happening!

Then maybe in the future we can go Shockey who?Or gonzalas who?Sharpe who?

And again...If were not going to have good outlet screens for our backs or so,then I would sure love a great TE to be automatic when the ball is thrown his way!

Michael_33, I never got a chance to see mackey play, but Bert Jones was a helluva QB for the colts and if Mackey played with Bert, or even Unitas, he was something special.

But I did get a chance to see Dave Casper play, alot. That goes the same for Winslow in their time. Let me tell, Dave Casper was the truth and I used to pretend I was him in Little League Football. As a matter of fact, I was a Redskin fan as a kid, but used to love watching the Raiders with Casper,Branch,Stabler,Bilentikoff,Matuzak and the rest of the raider team. Those teams back then were something special, and John Madden was the truth coaching those guys. But Dave Casper was a freaking beast and you sent chills up my spine when you brought his name up:applause: .

Now, Kellen winslow was a notoriuos TE also. That Damn Don coryell air attack was something to watch in those days and Winslow was one of the anchors on that offense. Forget what anybody else say. If Winslow Jr. turns out to be anything like his farther was, I would select him in a heart beat. Maybe alot of these guys who didn't get a chance to see Kellen Winslow play can't understand the logic. But the logic is plan and simple, Kellen Winslow was a total nightmare for opposing defenses in the mode of a TE/Power Back with speed and hands of glue. So I really doubt that his son is gonna be better than he was or have the power and strength that winslow Sr. possesed/ IMO.

Anyhow, Winslow and Casper were ideal TE's and Joe Gibbs had his own TE that I loved in Clint Didier. I hope the spelling is correct on some of the names I provided from back in the day. But I thought I would throw the Joe Gibbs stuff in there because that's what Redskin Fans do:D , We dwell on the past, oh how we dwell:cry:

Love those glory days...

Oh! that's who I was thinking of when I was thinking of TE's that played with Bert Jones, it was Raymond Chester. Now he was another TE that was some serious Sh!t.

How young are you anyway?:paranoid: Cause i'm starting to feel kinda old here and telling my real age:rolleyes:

Originally posted by REDALERT

Oh! that's who I was thinking of when I was thinking of TE's that played with Bert Jones, it was Raymond Chester. Now he was another TE that was some serious Sh!t.

How young are you anyway?:paranoid: Cause i'm starting to feel kinda old here and telling my real age:rolleyes:

Didn't Raymond Chester both begin and end his playing career as a Raider, while his stint with the Colts was in between?

I'd prefer Taylor but not in the top #10, same with Winslow. The thing about Winslow Jr. is he's a zone buster. Having him placed on the hashmark and running seam routes and post patterns makes playing zone defenses tough. Forcing defenses to man coverage is a disaster for them, because then you've got Coles on the outside in man coverage, and same with Winslow on the inside. Anyone think there are many safeties in the league who can stay in man coverage with Winslow2?

I too think the DT in the draft have question marks. I'd almost prefer to choose a different position, FS...TE....RB...DE, then reach for a DT that has questions. The key is, can the F.O. identify a solid DT prospect in the second and third rounds. Humm......

Like i have been saying all along the Defensive lineman coming out this year all have too many ????. With the first pick i can see us going either Sean Taylor, Kevin Jones, or Kellen Winslow JR . It is possible depending on what happens with Champ that we will be able to grab two of these players in the first.

It is hard to choose one right now because we have a need at all three positions and each of them will help this team alot.

I went with Will Smith for now simply because we need a DE and based on most of the third-party information I've gotten seems to hold him out as the best choice.

KW Jr. is intriguing. If he lives up to his billing, we could go with a three and four-wide formations (have him motion out after we come to the line) without tipping our hand keeping defenses in a base-formation and creating mismatches.

Will Smith is good but not good enough to be drafted as high as he will his draft position will be a direct result of a overall weak defensive line class. The team is on a two year plan right now and drafting a D-lineman wont pan out for two or three years so they will upgrade via Free Agency not the draft.

I honestly think Winslow will make a bigger impact than any other rookie this year and be a run away ROY winner.The kid has it all he is faster than Gardner and could be our 2nd wr if need be,his hands are glue,he has great size at 6-5 240lbs and goes all out with his run blocking. I've watched UM closely the last 2 years and the kid is gonna be the best Te in the NFL very soon. The thing that impressed me the most was his effort in his run blocking he routinely gets on 2 guys and plays 2 the whistle even againest Pitt he blocked 4 guys 2 of which were 20 yrds downfield on UM's long Td.This kid will suceed cause he's got heart and plays his tailoff every snap.

First and foremost, DE. Absolutely necessary.

But...

Where does Chris Perry fit in to all of this?

If he's around late, he would be a great addition.

Although we have a lot of potential at RB, he is the total backfield package, like a Portis or an A. Green. He's fast, powerful, and he can block.

We need a feature back. Period.

Winslow and Shockey both play a similiar game. Winslow is a better blocker atleast at the college level by a mile, but you could change the jerseys and probably could'nt tell a difference in the passing game but thier skintone. I think Winslow is actually better leaving UM then Shockey was. The thing that makes both really great at Te are thier hustle and desire. I think Winslow is quicker and blazes off the line of scrimmage faster than any Te i've ever seen.Shockey was a better route runner but he had more touches with a very good qb and complimentary players in Portis,Dorsey,Andre Johnson etc and was never focused on completely. Winslow is focused on every play with 2-3 defenders covering him and does'nt get the looks. I think Winslow will be a pro bowl Te has a rookie just like Shockey the kid does it all. A player like Winslow Jr could open things up for everybody and gives PR a sure handed security blanket.

Archived